• Announcements

    • IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

      Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

      https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

      *New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

      Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

      https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

      Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Andyn

Members
  • Content count

    4
  • Joined

  • Last visited


Community Reputation

2 Neutral

About Andyn

  • Rank
    Newbie

Andyn's Activity

  1. Andyn added a post in a topic downloading error code 2001   

    Check and see if the game is still running in the background. If so, end it first.
    • 0
  2. Andyn added a post in a topic What is RNG   

    I see. I wouldn't dispute that I did not contribute much, as it wasn't my intent to do an optimization guide. I just felt that people often reduce to "RNG" regarding any resolution of uncertainty, though you as you said I may be uninformed about how few people truly do not know about these things.
    I am not surprised if in practice someone uses gaussian generator, which is why I mentioned 'typically', though it is not immediate obvious to me why one would choose to use gaussian instead of uniform since they should just be a without loss transformation?
    • 0
  3. Andyn added a post in a topic What is RNG   

    Sorry, I didn't realize that the connection between RNG and the underlying distribution was not obvious to everyone.
    Typically, RNG is a computer algorithm (which might not be infinitely precise as some argued above) that generates a random number between 0 and 1 according to a uniform distribution. This means that the probability of a number less than or equal to 0.3 being generated is exactly 0.3, and the same goes with any numbers in this range. Then, given a prescribed distribution, a mapping from this generated number to the outcome occurs. For instance, if I wish to make enchantment to have 15% success rate, then my mapping would be: "If RNG gives a number less than or equal to 0.15, succeeds; if not, fails." 
    Hence, RNG is a mechanism that executes a prescribed distribution, and the theoretical outcomes follow from what I wrote in the original content.
    • 0
  4. Andyn added a topic in General   

    What is RNG
    While the server is still down, I just feel compelled to speak out about how people have been waving the word RNG without really understanding what it really means.
    While a random variable can be designed such that anything can happen, an unbiased distribution with repeated trials approaches its mean prediction asymptotically. For example, if throwing a dice has 1/6 chance of landing the number "3", then while it is surely possible that each throw in 100 consecutive trials never end with a "3", it is extremely unlikely. After infinite number of trials, the event "3 never realizes", although technically possible, has a probability of 0. We call this type of events a measure zero event, or simply "almost never" in measure theory and probability theory. You may be more familiar with a relevant theory is called Law of Large Number, which hopefully american high schools teach their students. LLN is a theoretical proof of how the only conceivable thing to happen when you repeatedly trial on a random variable with an arbitrary mean, the average of realization across trials must approach the mean of its distribution.  
    You might wonder, surely we never have infinite trials in this game, so we cannot prove that the distribution we are facing are in fact biased. But in the case of finite trial, there is this thing that one learns in introductory statistics at college called the binomial distribution. Consider having a yes/no trial with p probability of "yes", and a total number N of trials. The binomial distribution tells you what is the likelihood of any given number of successes among these trials. Check out this calculator. Let's say I think a +15 on boss armor attempt has chances 15% success, 85% failure. Then, like I actually did, I failed a total of 30 times. I can enter into this calculator ".15" "30" "0" respectively, and the first number it gives is the probability of this set of outcomes happening under the "15% success, 85% failure" distribution. In my example, this number is 0.007, which is 0.7%. Meaning that if "15% success, 85% failure" is indeed the true chances, then my unfortunate experience should only happen with 0.7% chance. Sure, 0.7% is larger than zero, meaning it is indeed possible. But to be ignorant of the fact that it is 0.7% and to simply dismiss it as "RNG" can deter one from revising whether or not the "15% success, 85% failure" distribution is in fact in play.
    Finally, there are also stories about how your friend gets 10 MOS in two hrs of grind but you got only 1, or how someone got 2 kzarka boxes in 10 tries but someone else didn't get any in 20. There are indeed similar tests of how likely these two samples are drawn from the same distribution, but they are a lot more complicated since we do not have a particular distribution that we are testing on. The best-known method named after the brilliant Russian mathematicians Andrey Komogorov and Nikolai Smirnov, but this is quite high level so I won't elaborate. 
    Hope this helps .  All I try to get at is that while reducing any realization of outcome as the result of "RNG" is unarguably correct, one can often say more about its likelihood, even though we won't be able to change anything anyway .
    • 27 replies
    • 5,700 views