Hi Dear Fellows !
EDIT on April 4th, 2016 : Including the Grunil Set, Kzarka Weapon & other stuffs !
EDIT on May 8th, 2016 : Including Leveling Skill Tree (From Lv 1 to 50) & Off Hand !
Before reading this guide, remember, I took my personal time to write this guide down, so please make sure to let us some feedbacks so everyone will benefit from our experiences. Thank you.
I constantly see questions about Wizard stuff, I know there are some topics for this, but they don't cover properly all the aspects the players want to know about. So I take the lead and count on you guys to bring further informations from your personal experience in this beautiful game. I'm not pretending this guide will be perfect but it has been proven effective in the contents cited, and with your help guys, the Wizard class will shine ! So please, don't blame me if I forgot some informations, I'm only half human / half squirrel after all. Finally excuse my eventual mistakes, I'm not an excellent foreign language writter !
After being confronted to PvE / PvP situations i can assure you one thing : There is absolutely no ultimate stuff.
You have to take into consideration if you wanna be more PvE or PvP focused, this will lead you to the stuff needed. Of course you can mix up gears to get a mixed effective setup for both PvE / PvP, but you'll see its limits quickly and get frustrated.. then you'll start eating bananas with your own blood. Nothing pleasant.
The main problem with people is they're looking for a perfect optimisation gear setup PvP / PvE in one set : This will never happen., no matter what combinaison you might do with crystals / jewelries. Ever. Forget about it, and eat mushrooms, please. And yes, donkeys can fly.
LEVELING PART - From Lv 1 to 45
• Guide : http://www.blackdeserttome.com/calculator/wizard/19689# •
This guide will ensure you a great grinding efficiency until you reach your Lv 45 (reset skill). With this guide you will have good mobility (teleport / dodge), high AoE burst damage (chain lightning, thunder storm > residual lightning, fireball > fireball explosion), extremely great regen (mana absorption, healing aura / pharos) & a very good buff skill (speed spell) which you may apply to yourself and/or your teammates.
LEVELING PART - From Lv 45 to 50
• Guide : http://www.blackdeserttome.com/calculator/wizard/19691# •
Things are getting serious now. You will become familiar to the PvP aspect of the game through PvP / PK or even arena if you wanna practice with other players. With this build : you can't fail at being good with your Witch / Wizard. Now is a good time to take 'Sage's Memory" (instant cast for all of you spells), you also have access to more burst, more sustainability & more mobility.
Don't forget, Wizard are based on combos (as simple as it might sound for you) ; You'll be using Lightning Chain to pull mobs & to CC your opponent, but you have to keep in mind using : Fireball Explosion, Lightning Storm & Residual Lightning will be part of 99% of your damages. If you wanna grind with large pack of mobs and use "Meteor Storm" or "Blizzard", make sure to use "Sage's Memory" or "Speed Spell" to increase your cast time, it's really important.
Your spells are stronger, hence they need more mana to be used. Mana Aborption will work most of the time, unless you're fightning mobs that can block your spells (skeletons, shrine, abandoned monastery..). If you got a mana issue, just CC the mob before using "Mana Absorption" (also a great tip against Warriors & Valkyrie from a PvP perspective).
GEARS & STATS
_PvP content_ : Casting Speed / Accuracy (and of course, AP, our damage source) are the main stats, no matter what. Why ? Your opponents will always find a way to get close to you (dash, side dodges, skills, horse..) so don't be concerned with the movement stats because you're a RANGED class. You wanna do some quiting ? Teleport / Dodge / CC skills. Movement speed has to be taken into account when you play a Closed Combat Class (to close gap). In PvP you wanna hit fast & you certainly don't wanna miss your target ; to put it in a nutshell : No Accuracy = Forget about doing PvP. Accuracy will also allow you to get full potential attacks from your skills (in the KO version, Accuracy can also work as an Armor Penetration stat, if someone can confirm this information it will be much appreciated!). Finally, you chose to play Wizard, take into consideration you will be permanently focused in PvP since you have the role of Nuker / Healer / Support. Players are not mobs, so act carefully.
/!\ Do not forget to Gear up with resists to Crowd Controls. CCs are the Wiz / Witchs' nightmares in PvP, no matter how skilled you are, you get CC, you die (luckily we can enjoy the broken system of spamming pots every 6 seconds, even though Warriors & Valkyries benefit way more from this). Combined with our Mana Shield : we can get enough resists not to be CCed too often.
► GEAR : (Those are my personal setups,tested in PvP, feel free to adapt to your own playstyle!)
• Weapons :
- (alternative choice) Yuria (+5 Human Damage, Accuracy, PA & 1 Socket) ; Blue optimisation "Temptation" : +1 Casting Speed, or "Purple Flame" : +1 Crit Chance. This weapon will give you Accuracy and Human damages, perfect for PvP.
- (main choice) Liverto (+3 Crit Chance, Accuracy & 2 Sockets) . Perfect for both PvP & PvE content, see this as a "Jack of all trades" weapon that will give you huge benefits.
- (main choice BIS) Kzarka (+3 Casting Speed, Accuracy & 2 Sockets). Made this a Bis choice, because wether you have Liverto or Kzarka, you'll have exactly the same amount of AP / Accuracy once +15, so it'll be all up to the choice of gems (casting speed / crit chance)
• Off-Hand :
- (main choice) Bronze Dagger : You have good burst, but what's the point if you can't land your skills? Most of your skillset have low accuracy : so it makes perfect sense to boost up your accuracy to be more efficient, knowing that you will encounter opponent stronger / on a higher level than you, hence they'll be having more DP / Evasion.
- (alternative choice) Steel Dagger : Some Wizards focus on pure burst damage output, knowing they won't land all of their skills. Considering the actual meta, with all being Evasion geared (not even talking about Sorceress with permanent Evasion buff), I do NOT recommend you to take this dagger, UNLESS you have accessories that gives you Accuracy (+10 ~ +12 Accuracy at least, with Accuracy gems on Off Hand, otherwise forget about it.
• Armors :
- WITH Liverto / Kzarka Staff -
- Armor Setup n°1 : 3 Taritas (Helmet / Chest / Shoes) + 1 Agerian (Gloves). You get : HP +20, MP +120, Resist Knockdown, Accuracy +5, Casting Speed +1, Atk Speed +1. This is a strong setup when combined with proper gems since we get all the bonuses we need. MP max scales with some of our AoE skill damages (~ 6% damage increase), and both the resist CC & accuracy is more than welcome ! This is more of a well rounded damage focused base.
- Armor Setup n°2 (FULL Grunil) : +150 HP / +7 AP ; Can be extremely heavy, but the 8 sockets & the AP boost is too much not to be taken into account since the Wizard is a Nuker class.
- WITHOUT Liverto/ Kzarka Staff -
- Armor Setup n°1 (The HEALER / SUPPORT build) : 2 Heve (Helmet / Shoes) for the gems sockets & HP pool (+250) + 2 Agerian (Gloves / Armor) to benefit from the HP pool (+50 HP max) & CS (+1). This is more of a Support / Heal focused gear though, it will allow you to tank more while supporting your teammates with pretty good CS.
- Armor Setup n°2 (FULL Grunil) : +150 HP / +7 AP ; You lack slots for Gems on your weapon, you're a Nuker class, you need this. Can be heavy though,
- Armor Setup n°3 (not recommended when lv 40- 45+) : 3 Agerian (Helmet / Chest / Gloves) + 1 Talis (if you wanna have movement speed) or Heve if you wanna invest 2 Resist CC gems.
• Gems : Those are extremely important since it will give you stats bonuses to reach higher levels on your major stats !
- For Weapons : Go for AP+ & CS+ if you have the Liverto Staff, or CS+ if you have the Yuria one. If you have enough CS levels I suggest you to take Crit Chance +2.
- For Armors : Helmet (+2 CS or Resist CC if you have enough CS) ; Chest (Damage Reduction +5 or HP +100 will be your best bet); Gloves (Crit chance +2 / AP+2 or Resist CC grab +10%) ; Shoes (I recommend Resist CC, but you can still chose +2 Mvt Speed if you really love to move faster)
• Jewelries : You wanna look for Accuracy / AP stats !
- Early game : Try to get the full Bares Jewelries, it will give you nice AP boost and it's quite cheap to get, solid start.
- End game : This will become serious. Try to get Earrings of the Witch (earrings), Ogre's Necklace (necklace), Tree Spirit Belt (belt) & Marks of Shadow (rings). I recommend you to invest your points in nodes wisely (higher chances of drops) & opening RNG Necklace boxes, it will be your best bet since the drop rate is extremely low!
_PvE content_ : AP / Critical Chance / Luck. When going for PvE content you wanna hit hard. For those wondering about Casting Speed & Movement Speed : Yes, they can be taken into account if you enjoy running faster from packs to packs and fast spam skills, but they always come after AP & Crit chance in terms of priority (with only 2/3 CS & 1/2 Mvt Speed you can enjoy easily the PvE content, higher ranks is only for you personal comfort and your playstyle). The Luck stat will allow you to have higher chances of drops, excellent for grinding phases!
► GEAR : Grinding will be a huge part in your PvE content, but unlike PvP there are many ways to gear yourself up properly to achieve it.
• Weapons : No real changes, Liverto / Kzarka staff still coming on top, followed by Yuria staff. But honestly, everything will do the job, even if you chose to grind with Bares or Kalis staff, you won't have any problems. But since you will level up quite fast and achieve Lv 45+, you will be confronted to PvP / PK players, so better be prepared and optimise the Yuria / Liverto staff as soon as you can.
• Off-Hand :
- Steel Dagger : You will be using this for the AP boost since you won't miss the mobs with your skills until you are Lv 45. When you reach Lv 45 ~ 48, you will be switching to Bronze Dagger.
• Armors :
- Armor Setup n°1 : 3 Fortuna (Helmet / Chest / Shoes) + 1 Agerian (Gloves) : You will have Luck +2 (drop rate increased, very handy for grinding), +3 Mvt Speed, +1 Casting Speed. With this setup you have 7 Free gems sockets, so feel free to fill your needs with the recommended stats (AP / Crit Chance). This is a very solid setup for grinding only (do NOT be concerned about the "gems breaking" debate, because you won't die against mobs as a Wizard, unless you're doing something wrong).
- Armor Setup n°2 : 3 Agerian (Chest / Gloves / Boots) + 1 Heve (Helmet) : This gives you HP +150, +3 CS, +1 Mvt Speed & 5 Free gems sockets.
- Armor Setup n°3 : 3 Agerian (Helmet / Chest / Gloves) + 1 Talis (Shoes) : This is a variant of the previous one, the only benefit you have from this, is +2 Mvt Speed on shoes but only 4 Sockets to fill with gems. It's all up to you, I leveled up using this setup & changed for the setup n°1 when I was at my ~35s' levels.
- Armor Setup n°4 : Full Grunil.
There are other variants for PvE grinding, so feel free to adapt your setup according to your preferences & playstyle. No matter what gear setup you chose, PvE is still fairly simple until you get lv ~40+ when you get those ranged attack mobs & rush, that's mostly when you'll have to master your CC / Teleport skills + dodges.
• Jewelries : Same ones as previously. Focus on AP to boost your damages to grind faster!
/!\ NOTE : When reaching lv 45+, you will need accuracy on your accessories !! You will grind mobs on higher lv than you, you will need accuracy to land your skills.
I took some time to write this guide for anyone in need, who might feels lost and confused with all those variant stuffs, but I count on all of you for this topic to become our "Wizard Bible" and will be updated when needed.
Thanks for reading, enjoy !