• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

So...any MMO with better pvp/combat?

72 posts in this topic

Posted

Don't get me wrong, I do love black desert, but the main reason I play MMOs is for PvP and the scenarios and drama that comes with it. BDO DEFINITELY has the 2nd part down to a T (a little too much salt but eh, cant have it all), but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get a feel for the PvP (sorc btw). I never knew if my attacks or ccs would land, and even if they did hit, I couldn't tell if I failed the RNG roll before it was too late. If I don't even know when I hit a target, that's not a game I can play. That, and gear is such a huge factor compared to other MMOs that I just got tired of trying to stay competitive. I gave the PvP one last chance by going on a PK spree, but all that did was remind me that I can never tell when something I do works or when it doesn't. Plus anyone that had any competency in PvP were so much more geared than me cause I took a 3 week break to the point where I couldn't kill a wizard that was unable to hit me just because of the gear difference (I got 140 ap, but the +16 update came out so that's practically nothing i'm guessing. And yes, I was punishing their heal attempts).

NOW, amazingly enough I'm not here just to be a salty baby, I'm actually asking you guys if you know any MMOs that are out, or are gonna come out, that have PvP that actually works, where you can land hits important without having to double check if it managed to go through. I loved TERA, but 1. ded gaem 2. im tired of dealing with pedophiles. That means BnS is out, too, you goddamn weeaboos. Additionally, BnS has no PvP scene outside of the esports arena nonsense, and that's boring as hell. I want one that has more to the PvP than just "you go into an instanced arena and 1v1/3v3"

And I guess since this is technically a quitting message I should say I really do hope this game keeps being successful and everyone have a good time playing it, even if I couldn't manage to.

1 person likes this

Posted

If you wanna play pvp without gear gap there is lol, dota or overwatch. 

I like BDO there a lot of things to do, if i just pvp Everyday i would for sure get tired of it. And i dont feel too much this gear gap with the +16-20 that are out i almost got my full gear to +17-18. Just by gathering and check my farm 3-5 times a day. I think this game is too hard for you try PokémonGO

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

If you wanna play pvp without gear gap there is lol, dota or overwatch. 

I like BDO there a lot of things to do, if i just pvp Everyday i would for sure get tired of it. And i dont feel too much this gear gap with the +16-20 that are out i almost got my full gear to +17-18. Just by gathering and check my farm 3-5 times a day. I think this game is too hard for you try PokémonGO

I didn't say I wanted no gear gap whatsoever, but the problem is that if a player goes on vacation for a month, they won't be able to catch up to all the other people trying to be competitive, which is why other MMOs have dungeons and raids that give the best gear have a limited number of entries per day, so that people with a shitton of free time don't sail ahead of everyone else. I'm not saying BDO should do that, its gear system works fine for it's players and works fine for me, but I realized this potential issue once I took a 3 week long break. I know it's not hard to get to +16/17/18, but once someone starts no-lifeing it and gets +19s and +20s, and insane jewelry, is when problems arise. ALSO this is by no means the reason why I'm quitting at all, it's solely because I don't like the actual combat.

I did ALL of the content BDO has to offer (except hunting, but that only recently really came out and I quit already sooo), so don't think that I only PvPed, the problem is the major reason I even play MMOs is for the PvP, and all that extra PvE content is nice and all, but all it is is a means to an end, which is gear for PvP.

I don't know where you read "this game is too hard for me" but you might wanna get your eyes checked or something.

EDIT: i just remembered, LoL and Dota have a big gear gap, what are you talking about. Jokes aside I want 3rd person combat, not top down or FPS.

Edited by Edgelorde

Posted (edited)

Sadly none of the modern MMOS have better combat than BDO.  A few games with acceptable combat are Age of Conan, Guild Wars 2, and TERA in my book.  

Edited by Mange
2 people like this

Posted

Lineage2 had the best mass pvp experience, and the drama in forum about a lost siege or a fight after a epic boss.

nothing beat that shit to me.

4 people like this

Posted

I didn't say I wanted no gear gap whatsoever, but the problem is that if a player goes on vacation for a month, they won't be able to catch up to all the other people trying to be competitive, which is why other MMOs have dungeons and raids that give the best gear have a limited number of entries per day, so that people with a shitton of free time don't sail ahead of everyone else. I'm not saying BDO should do that, its gear system works fine for it's players and works fine for me, but I realized this potential issue once I took a 3 week long break. I know it's not hard to get to +16/17/18, but once someone starts no-lifeing it and gets +19s and +20s, and insane jewelry, is when problems arise. ALSO this is by no means the reason why I'm quitting at all, it's solely because I don't like the actual combat.

I did ALL of the content BDO has to offer (except hunting, but that only recently really came out and I quit already sooo), so don't think that I only PvPed, the problem is the major reason I even play MMOs is for the PvP, and all that extra PvE content is nice and all, but all it is is a means to an end, which is gear for PvP.

I don't know where you read "this game is too hard for me" but you might wanna get your eyes checked or something.

EDIT: i just remembered, LoL and Dota have a big gear gap, what are you talking about. Jokes aside I want 3rd person combat, not top down or FPS.

but this are the latest contents no matter what now you will catch up, after this valencia patch there aren't any new patch where there will be another gear gap

Posted

Maybe Revelation online but it's still in beta

Posted

Maybe Revelation online but it's still in beta

Yeah I saw that one, it does look promising but on the downside it has Literal Elins, which means pedophiles. I'll try it anyway, it is gonna be F2P so no loss.

Posted (edited)

Better combat have: Tera, B&S, Vindictus

But all are instanced.

Better PvP have: Linage 2, EVE, Ultima, mortal, darkfall, gloria victis etc.

But all are: outdated or low budget or space opera (EVE).

Overall BDO should be the best.... but is became so casual and carebear, to the point it is boring and no point to do anything.

Edited by Hekki
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Better combat have: Tera, B&S, Vindictus

But all are instanced.

Better PvP have: Linage 2, EVE, Ultima, mortal, darkfall, gloria victis etc.

But all are: outdated or low budget or space opera (EVE).

Overall BDO should be the best.... but is became so casual and carebear, to the point it is boring and no point to do anything.

Most of the PvP I did in Tera wasn't instanced. I spent most of the time just PKing nerds or dicking around outside lumbertown. CS, despite the sheer salt it created, was a ton of fun and I liked it a lot. I never did 3s cause 1. shit never popped 2. I was afraid of making my team lose, having to wait another century for it to pop ;_;

Also I mentioned Tera and BnS in the OP post and why I wouldn't be playing them.

I don't wanna play any old/ancient games as I wouldn't enjoy the combat, so L2 and Ultima are out. I heard darkfall was bad by reliable sources so no on that, I looked at Gloria Victius a few days ago and it doesn't look entertaining, and I don't want something as incredibly tedious as EVE. Plus it's not even close to the kinda combat I want. I want 3rd person combat, not spaceship stuff where all you do is shoot things until it's dead.

Also chill out on the buzzwords, BDOs fine. All I would really want out of it is a better PK system. The only way I could see a PvPer calling it boring is if they're not in a guild, or in a small guild that can't compete with anyone. Edan is full of constant drama and fun in the political sense that there's always shit you can start, if your guild wants to.

Edited by Edgelorde

Posted

Guild Wars 2 with its WvW remain *by far* the best PvP game if you want an ongoing endgame without much gear difference. I get more PvP action in 5 minutes of GW2 than I get in a week of this BDO "PvP game" (tier 1 servers averaged around 100,000 total deaths per weekly matchup last I checked). Best of all? Fights are determined by builds and skill, not who brings 8654322556 million billion health potions with them. BDO is a great MMO but a horrible PvP game.

5 people like this

Posted

Guild Wars 2 with its WvW remain *by far* the best PvP game if you want an ongoing endgame without much gear difference. I get more PvP action in 5 minutes of GW2 than I get in a week of this BDO "PvP game" (tier 1 servers averaged around 100,000 total deaths per weekly matchup last I checked). Best of all? Fights are determined by builds and skill, not who brings 8654322556 million billion health potions with them. BDO is a great MMO but a horrible PvP game.

Yeah...but....pseudo tab-target. Saw some gameplay and didn't like what I saw.

1 person likes this

Posted

World of Warcraft is still miles ahead in almost all aspects 

There is lot more to do in BDO, but they all suck in some way

/Waits for Legion

1 person likes this

Posted

Combat system: Not sure, it's personal preference. 

Better PvP: Certainly. Funnily enough because of the combat system which simply doesn't work in PvP, it's terrible for it.

Posted (edited)

Yeah...but....pseudo tab-target. Saw some gameplay and didn't like what I saw.

Because you like tab targetting or not? Not sure which you mean.

GW2 differ from most MMOs because you do not need to target specific players in order to hit them. Most skills are AoE including autoattack, and projectiles are a physical thing which mean for example ranger arrow hit what they fly at, not necessarily what you tab targetted. Having auto target (press a skill and it will target the guy you are aiming at) is an option, you can turn that off and only use tab target. I think most have it on though. You can also enable action mode, then the camera become more like BDO (normally its holding the right mouse button all the time to control the view, action mode locks it with a toggle button and give you a small crosshair and make you autoattack with lmb instead of pushing 1). I actually had to do that when BDO released because jumping frequently between them messed up my brain, lol.

GW2 vanilla is f2p btw but you really want GW2 HoT to truly compete in sPvP/WvW. Its more of an extended demo in my mind.

Edited by Wafalls

Posted (edited)

World of Warcraft is still miles ahead in almost all aspects 

There is lot more to do in BDO, but they all suck in some way

/Waits for Legion

The only reason I would play WoW is for playing an MMO that's old as hell and still gets content updates, it's always fun to look at an ancient game and explore things that were made so many years ago. But, the combat is garbage and doesn't hold up in 2016 at all, and the only people who are still playing it have been playing for decades. That's not a game I would wanna bother being competitive in, if all the skilled players have had years of experience.

Plus, faction-based. Ew. Lemme kill who I wanna kill.

Because you like tab targetting or not? Not sure which you mean.

GW2 differ from most MMOs because you do not need to target specific players in order to hit them. Most skills are AoE including autoattack, and projectiles are a physical thing which mean for example ranger arrow hit what they fly at, not necessarily what you tab targetted. Having auto target (press a skill and it will target the guy you are aiming at) is an option, you can turn that off and only use tab target. I think most have it on though. You can also enable action mode, then the camera become more like BDO (normally its holding the right mouse button all the time to control the view, action mode locks it with a toggle button and give you a small crosshair and make you autoattack with lmb instead of pushing 1). I actually had to do that when BDO released because jumping frequently between them messed up my brain, lol.

GW2 vanilla is f2p btw but you really want GW2 HoT to truly compete in sPvP/WvW. Its more of an extended demo in my mind.

No, I don't like tab targets. Not at aaaall. And I know how GW2 combat works, but it's just not my thing. Personal preference.

Edited by Edgelorde

Posted (edited)

I'm a PvP'er at heart, I stopped playing BDO.  I too play GW2, purely for PvP, sPvP, Ranked and WvW roaming.  Skill based not gear.  I will never come back to BDO, I'd be too far behind.  GW2 PvP isn't perfect, it's still a dynamic combat system where playing well, knowing what to block, when to dodge and when to use the right abilities pays off.

Edited by Cyrus Glitch

Posted

Don't get me wrong, I do love black desert, but the main reason I play MMOs is for PvP and the scenarios and drama that comes with it. BDO DEFINITELY has the 2nd part down to a T (a little too much salt but eh, cant have it all), but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get a feel for the PvP (sorc btw). I never knew if my attacks or ccs would land, and even if they did hit, I couldn't tell if I failed the RNG roll before it was too late. If I don't even know when I hit a target, that's not a game I can play. That, and gear is such a huge factor compared to other MMOs that I just got tired of trying to stay competitive. I gave the PvP one last chance by going on a PK spree, but all that did was remind me that I can never tell when something I do works or when it doesn't. Plus anyone that had any competency in PvP were so much more geared than me cause I took a 3 week break to the point where I couldn't kill a wizard that was unable to hit me just because of the gear difference (I got 140 ap, but the +16 update came out so that's practically nothing i'm guessing. And yes, I was punishing their heal attempts).

NOW, amazingly enough I'm not here just to be a salty baby, I'm actually asking you guys if you know any MMOs that are out, or are gonna come out, that have PvP that actually works, where you can land hits important without having to double check if it managed to go through. I loved TERA, but 1. ded gaem 2. im tired of dealing with pedophiles. That means BnS is out, too, you goddamn weeaboos. Additionally, BnS has no PvP scene outside of the esports arena nonsense, and that's boring as hell. I want one that has more to the PvP than just "you go into an instanced arena and 1v1/3v3"

And I guess since this is technically a quitting message I should say I really do hope this game keeps being successful and everyone have a good time playing it, even if I couldn't manage to.

Aion 5.0 released this week

PvP everywhere.

It is a focus PvP game,

You have a rank under your head ( your pvp rank )

Higher your rank is better pvp gear you can buy.

Siege and fort about 12 times per day in multiplate zone. 300vs300

Rifting system is back , u walk in the map u see a rift u go to the enemy map , u kisk up ( if u die u rez there) and you pvp all day.

patch is new so..... everyone going for new gear u are not late,

If you want advice for strong 1v1 class 

Songweaver , Spiritmaster , Ranger , are top tier,

+ you actually play a 6 years old game wich is great because the game is already balanced and everything work u dont have to suffer pain crazy patch note each week and i have more pvp in aion in 10 minutes gameplay than i had in 200 hour in BDO.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I will have to say that GW1 did structured PvP best, L2 had really good OWPvP (with some minor flaws of course) and Aion really nailed it with their PvP point system and rifting/dredg/sieges (but shared a doomed fate with the classic 2 race failure).

BDO had lots of potential to become a great PvP game, but has completely gone the opposite direction, unfortunately.

Every MMO I've played since 2004 has done PvP better than this game has. The sieges/node wars in BDO are nice, but the server stability/desync/lag, utter lack of PvP mechanics, complete character imbalance, broken karma system and a battlegrounds that only has a few sessions each day make this game the least desirable MMO for PvP I have ever played. It's really sad, as it could have been the best with a few minor tweaks from what KR had (discussed in the proposed Karma System thread, which has been completely thrown away).

Edited by VipeR

Posted (edited)

If BDO actually had good servers and would remove karma altogether it would actually be topnotch. This game has sooo much potential but unfortunally the publisher decided to go for the casual aproach...

Edited by BANiSH

Posted (edited)

I will have to say that GW1 did structured PvP best, L2 had really good OWPvP (with some minor flaws of course) and Aion really nailed it with their PvP point system and rifting/dredg/sieges (but shared a doomed fate with the classic 2 race failure).

BDO had lots of potential to become a great PvP game, but has completely gone the opposite direction, unfortunately.

Every MMO I've played since 2004 has done PvP better than this game has. The sieges/node wars in BDO are nice, but the server stability/desync/lag, utter lack of PvP mechanics, complete character imbalance, broken karma system and a battlegrounds that only has a few sessions each day make this game the least desirable MMO for PvP I have ever played. It's really sad, as it could have been the best with a few minor tweaks from what KR had (discussed in the proposed Karma System thread, which has been completely thrown away).

Indeed, BDO = Game with most potential for skill based action combat = Worst game for PvP.

I haven't played that many mmos, but I die a little each time I'm reminded how badly its executed.

Edited by CruleD

Posted

DragonNest.

Posted

Gonna give Aion a try when 5.0 hits EU.

Posted

DragonNest.

That game is literally entirely instanced, so no thanks. I did like it when I downloaded the japanese version before it got localized but it's not the kinda thing I'd play for long. No open world = no real PvP investment for me.

Posted

Aion 5.0 released this week

PvP everywhere.

It is a focus PvP game,

You have a rank under your head ( your pvp rank )

Higher your rank is better pvp gear you can buy.

Siege and fort about 12 times per day in multiplate zone. 300vs300

Rifting system is back , u walk in the map u see a rift u go to the enemy map , u kisk up ( if u die u rez there) and you pvp all day.

patch is new so..... everyone going for new gear u are not late,

If you want advice for strong 1v1 class 

Songweaver , Spiritmaster , Ranger , are top tier,

+ you actually play a 6 years old game wich is great because the game is already balanced and everything work u dont have to suffer pain crazy patch note each week and i have more pvp in aion in 10 minutes gameplay than i had in 200 hour in BDO.

That's really interesting. May need to go check it out! To me AION is still the most fun I've had in a PvX game, especially on the PVP side. The GvG thing is kind of cool in GW2 and this game, but quite frankly nothing beats population balanced faction vs. faction war.