• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Low frame rates (FPS) on 2 channels, with channel 1s delivering 30+ higher FPS

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Coming from a programming background, this is very strange to say the least. I have tested numerous times on Velia E1 vs. E2; Calpheon E1 vs. E2, and every single time, 1 channel simply gives me 30 more FPS than the 2 channel. Let me also assure you that I have removed the initial effect of a new channel switch; this effect I'm talking about it visible whether you're new on the channel or whether you've been there for 30 minutes.

I can also say that the culprit is the CPU, not the GPU. I have a very very strong machine and at best my GPU sits at 50% utilization (I'm CPU bottlenecked). On 2 channels, this drops to 30%, meaning the CPU can't get stuff fast enough into the GPU for rendering.

My CPU: Intel 5820K - 6 core, overclocked at 3.8Ghz

My GPU: TitanX 12GB

Normally, we would expect the graphical frame rate to be completely independent of the server, the network conditions, etc. Ultimatley, it's all client-side rendered and it is very strange for the server selection to affect it. I have a few theories on why this can be:

1. There is some kind of bug where on 2 channels, our CPUs are forced to work harder, perhaps wasting cycles. 
  2. 1 channels are specifically tuned to reduce the amount of stuff our CPUs do; less NPC movement, less environment, etc. It's hard to pinpoint exactly.
  3. (Very unlikely) The game has some bad main loop where the "tick rate" of network connection is awaited on before rendering. 1 channels are on beefier machines that are set at a higher network refresh rate, so frame rates go up there.

Anyway, I wanted to bring this to DAUM's attention.

Example: Heidel on Velia 2 was delivering 25 fps. I had only been on the channel for 20 minutes. Switched to Calpheon E1, waited 10 minutes. Now seeing 55 fps. GPU utilization went from 25 to 43%, meaning CPU was able to pump more stuff into it.

Summary: 1 channels result in significantly (30+) higher frame rates than their channel 2 counterparts. This is visible in Heidel, out in the desert, while grinding mobs in sausans, whatever.

@PM_Jouska @CM_Aethon @CM_Jouska

Edited by Hzazul

Posted

It happened to me too, I rebooted because I thought I had over extended what I could do with my computer, but it didn't change, I'm on mediah e1 right now.

i also use gtx 1080

Posted (edited)

I've noticed that the framerate might be bound to the server activity / performance

For exemple :

When i train weight, i go the finto farm, there, for no particular reason, i get 45-49fps.

yesterday, i logged into the game like 30min before the start of the maintenance, and i got a constant 60fps.

Imho, blame their bad server for crap performance, not your computer.

EDIT : the game can also have some memory leak or whatever else that screw performance up after a while.

For instance, while i was writting the answer, at finto i had 45-49fps, after quitting and restarting the game, now i have 50-57fps 9_9

Edited by woots

Posted

Just wanted to bump this again to bring it to folks' attention. Also properly linking @CM_Aethon @PM_Jouska

Posted (edited)

Glad it's not only me, the fps on 2 channels is almost unplayable, no issues on 1 channels, Super strange i would tell someone their crazy if they told me fps problems were channel based until i've seen it.

I can literally be on calpheon 2 in the desert middle of nowhere with like 35 frames, swap to calph 1 and be perfectly fine with smooth 60 fps.

(Edan)

Edited by Yoink

Posted (edited)

It looks like as if the network connection and the rendering are somewhat linked (which is conceivable if the client asks the server to confirm its position).

I had instances where I played from places with bad internet where I literally had to wait for the game to render stuff before being able to move forward (most notably around Calpheon with the city in the background). I just would see a "cut" in the landscape between what was already shown and the new stuff entering my character's vision range.

The problem may have been aggravated by the fact I was playing on a computer not made to handle that kind of game though.

Edited by WeaselPaw

Posted

Bahahaha you guys are funny 

You want fast render ? Use ssd .

I just bought a laptop to play this game .

256gb ssd for windows and bdo , 1TB for hentai , 8gb rams ddr4 , intel i7 7600hq and gtx 970m .

Fresh installed the game runs at about 30 fps in heidel everything at max without high end mode . Tweaking graphics , using nvidia control panel and some stuffs , defraging game , and make it run on lower cores makes the game run faster .

I do have 4 cores , but on 2 cores it runs better than 4 .

I hope my info helped you  .

Posted

defraging game

xD

Posted

^ i know it sounds like shiet to be honest ... I said the same thing :/ but when i did it on farcry 4 and won 5 fps .... 

I didnt laught anymore ...

Posted

Well the one obvious difference between channels would be player population, there could be others too like boss spawn, global mob respawns (again due to higher player populations.

Posted (edited)

^ i know it sounds like shiet to be honest ... I said the same thing :/ but when i did it on farcry 4 and won 5 fps .... 

I didnt laught anymore ...

There is no fragmentation on SSDs

Edit : Or to say it better, its fragmentation is mostly irrelevant as there is no physical part and has such no real need to have contiguous file parts (but you still need to have a low amount of file parts, thus the "mostly").

Edited by WeaselPaw

Posted

Playing on Alustin I get low framerates on Velia 1 from what I noticed. Obviously, I don't play on that channel anymore.

Posted

Pinging @CM_Aethon and @PM_Jouska - sorry my original post did not link them properly.

Well the one obvious difference between channels would be player population, there could be others too like boss spawn, global mob respawns (again due to higher player populations.

Very possible. Somehow the business of the server, even in places not in the immediate surroundings, could be slowing down our rendering. If so, I would consider that either a bug or a point that needs significant improvements. Stuff not directly around you should not be affecting your frame rate.

Also to that other guy - I'm already on an SSD. 

Posted

I assume that network issues somehow slow the graphics down, for whatever reason. 

I have vsync turned off, so either CPU should be maxed or GPU should be maxed, but those are just around 50%, so something else must be the bottleneck. Harddisk etc is nonsense, a game doesn't constantly load, especially if you don't move.

Posted

Just updating this with some additional observations. The more I play and keep an eye on my CPU/GPU monitors (via MSI Afterburner, Open Hardware Monitor, etc.), the more I think here's what happens:

• 1 channels currently have broken network routing so people get frequent lag spikes
  • People switch into 2 channels as a result
  • The game has a regression (performance problem, bug) where the busier a channel gets, the more each client's CPU works harder to keep up with something
  • As a result, we experience significantly lower frames on 2 channels
  • As would be predicted by this theory, I get better frames on 2 channels that appear to be less busy

@CM_Aethon @PM_Jouska please let PA know about this problem. On a very very high end machine, I get 30fps on 2 channels while getting 70+ on 1 channels. Something is broken.

Posted

Ran into this today, was werid because i was on the channel ealier with no issues but then swapped to it later on & FPS issue. Not hardware releated.
Orwen Cal01.

Posted

Pinging @CM_Aethon @PM_Belsazar @PM_Jouska once again on this. Numerous people in our guild on Edan also experience this; I'd be more than happy to provide further system details. In short: My GPU load stays low, but CPU somehow bottlenecks in Edan 2 channels (all of the 2s, C2, B2, Val2, ...); yet I don't see any slowdown on KR player streams/youtube. Something about our region is different than KR making our frame rates lower. Please let PA know! Thank you!

Posted

I just found out, i have the same problems only thing diffrent is that i have it for example on Calpehon C1 and C2 but NOT on Serendia C1 and C2

Posted

Same for me on Mediah J1, always have low FPS on that channel.