• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Feedback request from PvPers about Earthquake & Protected Area.

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Few days ago I finish learning all the necessary skills for me in my char, the total SP I have use to do that is 825, I am at a point were I'm thinking which skill is worth to invest next & I am between those 2, I would like to hear some experiences people had with those 2 skills during PvP & if/how they help them in what situation etc, I would prefer to hear what experienced hardcore PvPers have to say about those skills while using them in high end PvP situations.

Posted

No to earthquake, imo it's more of a hindrance than anything. I havent found any situation where I've actually seen a benefit from using earthquake other than battles where I completely shit on groups gearwise and at that point I kinda just use it for the lols to see how many people I drop although I could've easily replaced it with any spell. I'm also a bit biased because the longer I'm stuck with this shit spell the angrier I'm getting currently because I skill changed to a pve build for zaka right before the servers went down for the new skill patch and haven't switched back yet. 

That said protected area is bae, imo one of our priority spells, I tend to play really upfront and close to the enemy due to my background as a melee and protected area gives you basically 8 secs of invincibility every minute, pair that with the fact the buff can be applied to others and it's a no brainer to me. It also pairs up nicely with meteor cd wise ;) (yes I hardcast meteor with or without a horse when given the chance) 

Currently most of my PvP comes from RBF with 5k rating on Edan, wars are pretty trivial atm and as long as you arent shit and have gear anythings pretty viable in wars/sieges atm. 

1vs1s pretty much fall under the above although I'm earthquake can have its uses in 1on1 situations while protected area may be "frowned upon"

1 person likes this

Posted

Thx for the feedback can I ask you to tell me especially for 1vs1 which of the 2 do you think is more useful? because you said "earthquake can have its uses in 1on1 situations" can you give more details regarding Earthquake during 1v1 scenarios plz?

Posted (edited)

Earthquake has no good use in pvp imo, with the new awakening skill effects earthquake became a really good pve skill but still not somthing i ever rely on in pvp. 

Protective area however is beautiful... in pvp it's funny how you wanna compare these two skills because what it really comes down to is 

Earthquake = pve 

Protective area = pvp 

Both = pvx lol 

Anyways, protective area will save your ass countless times when it's off cd. The casting animation gives you super armor and the dp buff last even after you are done with the skill. The super armor's duration isn't enough to ignore cc like our lightning ult or zerkers ult but those things will never kill you if you used protective area. 

So if you want a pvp build go with protective area, earthquake just isn't a reliable pvp skill imo. Btw don't be afraid to waste a protective area. I wasn't using this skill for the longest time because i thought it's cd was too long and this skill needed to be used so preciously, but once i just stopped caring and started spamming it when pressured or about to get hit by a large atk (eg. Sorc's dream of doom) the cd doesn't even feel that long to me anymore.

Also that 1v1 earthquake question tho i know it wasn't directed to me

Earthquake won't help you 1v1, unless you are heavily out gearing them (in which case you may as well just mma spam, it's faster and more convenient). If you are imagining some epic moment like a blader rushs you and you bound him with earthquake for the kill, sorry but that just won't happen.. they will ignore the cc and knock you down instead, despite the super armor it is said to have. If the cc even works in pvp consider your self lucky, or it could be me who's unlucky..

Edited by Kryaix
Answer part 2

Posted

Gonna keep it short, but go for Protective Area first, for sure. It has a 100 second CD when maxed out and is extremely powerful in both group PvP and 1vXs aswell as 1v1s. Earthquake is actually quite underrated. It's not particularly good in PvE as the damage is deficient and you won't be using it for grinding, but there are definitely situations where it could be useful in PvP. For example, in group fights or node wars/sieges you can use it when people are stacked up to CC the entire team and in 1v1s you can use it to try catch sorc pushing in on you. These are just two examples - there are so many more situations where a well-timed Earthquake can be devastating, but I can't really go into too much detail - it all depends on the situation.

Posted

Thx for your input but I would prefer if you didn't categorize those 2 skills as it's obvious you are not a fan of Earthquake & you pretty much deem it useless in contrary there is many people who use it in their daily PvP/RBF & find it very useful so if you are biased regarding something it would be better to just say "I prefer this one because I find it more useful for this & this reason.." & just end it there, no reason to bash one of the 2 to pass your point across.

Gonna keep it short, but go for Protective Area first, for sure. It has a 100 second CD when maxed out and is extremely powerful in both group PvP and 1vXs aswell as 1v1s. Earthquake is actually quite underrated. It's not particularly good in PvE as the damage is deficient and you won't be using it for grinding, but there are definitely situations where it could be useful in PvP. For example, in group fights or node wars/sieges you can use it when people are stacked up to CC the entire team and in 1v1s you can use it to try catch sorc pushing in on you. These are just two examples - there are so many more situations where a well-timed Earthquake can be devastating, but I can't really go into too much detail - it all depends on the situation.

I was leaning toward Prot Area first to be honest I test it when we still had free resets & I know that the buff that give super armor remain on you after you cast the skill, the cd is long but what it does is very strong so a long cd makes sense I guess still I find Earthquake to be quite nice after the boost, so I wanted to hear what people who have test it for a long time have to say, anyway thx for your feedback.

Posted

Thx for your input but I would prefer if you didn't categorize those 2 skills as it's obvious you are not a fan of Earthquake & you pretty much deem it useless in contrary there is many people who use it in their daily PvP/RBF & find it very useful so if you are biased regarding something it would be better to just say "I prefer this one because I find it more useful for this & this reason.." & just end it there, no reason to bash one of the 2 to pass your point across.

Well i didn't mean to say it's useless, just unreliable to me in pvp. from baten's testimony, maybe it is just bad rng on my cc. anyways try whatever, i like earthquake in pve but pvp it's given so much headache that I've definitely grown biased against it.

Posted

Thx for the feedback can I ask you to tell me especially for 1vs1 which of the 2 do you think is more useful? because you said "earthquake can have its uses in 1on1 situations" can you give more details regarding Earthquake during 1v1 scenarios plz?

i would say protective area is much more useful. i do alot of 1v1 pvping in the arena, and all of your protection skills are a must have for survivability. if you have good timing in dodging, utilizing the stupid mobility we get as witches, and teleport, you just need to get 1 proper cc, open sages memory and pretty much 1 shot your enemy with your blizzard. <--- this is for classes such as zerkers, and warriors. for glasscannon classes, mages, rangers, ninjas, just watch their animation, get out of their attacks, and if you have decent AP and good accuracy, you can pretty much kill them with pure chain lightning, since it cc and do massive damage to low defence classes.

Posted

i would say protective area is much more useful. i do alot of 1v1 pvping in the arena, and all of your protection skills are a must have for survivability. if you have good timing in dodging, utilizing the stupid mobility we get as witches, and teleport, you just need to get 1 proper cc, open sages memory and pretty much 1 shot your enemy with your blizzard. <--- this is for classes such as zerkers, and warriors. for glasscannon classes, mages, rangers, ninjas, just watch their animation, get out of their attacks, and if you have decent AP and good accuracy, you can pretty much kill them with pure chain lightning, since it cc and do massive damage to low defence classes.

I will not say that protective area is useless overall. But in 1v1 it is only useful in rare situations.

I do agree though, that protection skills are incredibly important. I'm advising every PvPer with 850+ SP to get atleast lvl 2 frigid fog (CD is 19/17/16/15)

I hope you are not serious about using sages memory in a 1on1

Lightning Chain is indeed strong. Against ranger It's core. Against mages it can open up for a victory, however you have a high risk of a quick fireball or freeze. Against ninjas or sorcs it can be strong but it is heavily dependant on the assassins' performance if you can put it to use

Posted

if u want to play 1v1 you choose the wrong class. Go for Protection Area. Earthquake is pretty useless atm.

Posted

I will not say that protective area is useless overall. But in 1v1 it is only useful in rare situations.

I do agree though, that protection skills are incredibly important. I'm advising every PvPer with 850+ SP to get atleast lvl 2 frigid fog (CD is 19/17/16/15)

I hope you are not serious about using sages memory in a 1on1

Lightning Chain is indeed strong. Against ranger It's core. Against mages it can open up for a victory, however you have a high risk of a quick fireball or freeze. Against ninjas or sorcs it can be strong but it is heavily dependant on the assassins' performance if you can put it to use

against someone with 100gs more and 2 levels higher than me, i have to utilize sage really well to win against them. but yes, i do use it in 1v1 instances depend on the situation.... it is really tough to land an attack on assassin class, but once you do, if there isnt too big of a gear difference, you can get that win pretty easilly... or at least dmg them greatly

Posted (edited)

PA is one of the best spells we have when properly utilized. Both in 1v1 and large scale pvp. Its the carry over buff after the channel is over that makes it great. 

I cant count the number of times ive messed with people in a 1v1  by letting them get me low then dropping PA followed up by lighthouse for an almost uninterruptible full heal. In large scale pvp I play the front line wizard. Ill tp into their force and drop PA. This opens up a doorway for the rest of your force to rush in. On top of that despite the fact you dont take real dmg your rage gets charged up. Follow up that PA with an ult while you still have the buff running and you just ruin a groups day. 

I havent bothered to put any points into earthquake at all. Even with the block buff its more of a deathwish to get locked in place like that. Earthquake seems more like a noobtrap then something thats actually useful. 

Edited by TrullsRohk
1 person likes this

Posted

PA is amazing in both 1v1 and group pvp, it can give me the ability to tank 5 people for the entire duration of the buff. Earthquake I took the points out of it and haven't looked back because I found the damage it does to be laughable and the CC unreliable, in my opinion frigid frost does the same thing faster with better results.

Posted

PA is one of the best spells we have when properly utilized. Both in 1v1 and large scale pvp. Its the carry over buff after the channel is over that makes it great. 

I cant count the number of times ive messed with people in a 1v1  by letting them get me low then dropping PA followed up by lighthouse for an almost uninterruptible full heal. In large scale pvp I play the front line wizard. Ill tp into their force and drop PA. This opens up a doorway for the rest of your force to rush in. On top of that despite the fact you dont take real dmg your rage gets charged up. Follow up that PA with an ult while you still have the buff running and you just ruin a groups day. 

I havent bothered to put any points into earthquake at all. Even with the block buff its more of a deathwish to get locked in place like that. Earthquake seems more like a noobtrap then something thats actually useful. 

Thanks for this post that was actually one of the rare cases were someone actually gave a feedback of why it prefer one skill over the other & in which way/situations help him in daily PvP, it's quite frustrating when you ask for feedback, that means write in detail were/how each skill helps you, to see people make useless posts like "get X because Y suck.." I mean why they even waste their time write something that won't help anyone in any way...

Btw something you wrote make me to wonder about something, you say you cast rage while in effect of PA, isn't rage suppose to give super armor in the first place? because if it gives what's the point to buff your self with super armor when our rage give that already? unless it's not super armor? then what is it? front guard? it doesn't look like super armor to be honest because people on your back can still dmg you while you cast it, & btw the examples you gave like cast PA & heal yourself safely or the fact that your rage charge although others can't deal dmg to you were very interesting thx for all that, your post was very useful.

Posted

Thanks for this post that was actually one of the rare cases were someone actually gave a feedback of why it prefer one skill over the other & in which way/situations help him in daily PvP, it's quite frustrating when you ask for feedback, that means write in detail were/how each skill helps you, to see people make useless posts like "get X because Y suck.." I mean why they even waste their time write something that won't help anyone in any way...

Btw something you wrote make me to wonder about something, you say you cast rage while in effect of PA, isn't rage suppose to give super armor in the first place? because if it gives what's the point to buff your self with super armor when our rage give that already? unless it's not super armor? then what is it? front guard? it doesn't look like super armor to be honest because people on your back can still dmg you while you cast it, & btw the examples you gave like cast PA & heal yourself safely or the fact that your rage charge although others can't deal dmg to you were very interesting thx for all that, your post was very useful.

Yeah. Its only a frontal block while you are ult'ing. So in larger scale pvp fights theres always at least 1 person behind you ready to interrupt. Especially with ninjas out now. The PA buff is full super armor. Mostly just grapples that you have to worry about. 

Posted (edited)

Few days ago I finish learning all the necessary skills for me in my char, the total SP I have use to do that is 825, I am at a point were I'm thinking which skill is worth to invest next & I am between those 2, I would like to hear some experiences people had with those 2 skills during PvP & if/how they help them in what situation etc, I would prefer to hear what experienced hardcore PvPers have to say about those skills while using them in high end PvP situations.

don't take earthquake past 2. 2 and up it's three pulses and only damage changes iirc.
protected area is pretty useful but I've never ranked it. Might b gud. Probably next thing I max.

Earthquake is kind of like an alternate frigid fog with a bound and stiffness instead of a freeze. If you have a grasp of its max range it can be useful but it's very situational and I've never really killed anybody with it, just set up kills for others.

Edited by Waifu_Hunter

Posted (edited)

PA if you wanna think of it in simple terms gives you basically 99% evasion from damage skills during its buff duration. CC still for the most part goes through but you won't die or hardly take dmg while it's up unless you were already -----ed with 15+ enemies on you at 1% hp (and even then I've survived scenarios like that with PA) 

To answer your question though they each have their own weight when it comes to 1v1, some scenarios would be a high burst class who's screwed once they blow their combo, I'd pop PA there and then catch em with your DPS combo after they fail to kill you. 

Other than that it's basically an 8 second god buff I can't really say anything more or anything less about it, if you dip to low hp it gives 8 seconds more to live which you can use to top yourself off, even if cc'd after the buff is applied it isn't removed so you get to survive the incoming -----. 

While at the same time of your opponent hardly dmgs you then PA is worthless the more you outgear your opponent. 

For earthquake tbh, the only viable scenario I can really think of for it that wouldn't be better done with another skill would in a situation where you have one of those autistic iframe spamming classes running circles around and you can't really hit them with anything hard and their HP is low enough to be dropped by the damage of a single earthquake. The best way to hit them with ez dmg without needing  much of a kill set up combo is just to earthquake the -----er, if his HP is low it will die. 

Otherwise using earthquake in 1v1s as a form of cc isn't really viable cause soon as the spell animation is over they go back to not being HARD cc'd with only maybe minor debuffs on em for a secs, think of it as a zerker using his ult in a 1v1, pretty useless right? 

I hope this helps add onto what others have already said. 

Edited by Dank

Posted

Otherwise using earthquake in 1v1s as a form of cc isn't really viable cause soon as the spell animation is over they go back to not being HARD cc'd with only maybe minor debuffs on em for a secs, think of it as a zerker using his ult in a 1v1, pretty useless right? 

Earthquake can be pretty useful as an utility, since the cast animation is a Super Armor. 

Posted

Earthquake can be pretty useful as an utility, since the cast animation is a Super Armor. 

super armor isnt as great as it's played out to be though, I'm just speaking on experience here but I noticed a nerf to super armor in general when we got our buffs, and even tho zerkers always complain about everything, a lot of experienced zerkers (the class with the most super armor) I know, also mentioned they felt a small nerf to super armor, i.e ccd out of more shit frequently. 

Not sure if anyone else here wants to throw their .02 in. 

I also would like some feedback from those who are more successful with earthquake, in what specific scenarios do you feel the super armor from earthquake is a god send?

All I can really see is; use earthquake early on in the battle, guy catches it, dips cast is complete and now you're rooted. Best case is he doesnt dodge it, you absorbed a decent amount of dmg, hit em with a worthless earthquake and he then pots up and dips out after the animation cast is over and at that point you're basically at square one again.

Now let's say you use it later in the fight as an emergency oh shit button, if your healths low enough and the opponent sees the cast theyre just going to continue with their combo and kill you because its a free root for them. I am mostly talking about melee here though, cause I know the dmg from earthquake will ----- up archers and wizards and I can definitely see earthquake being more useful vs them. Especially fighting a wiz because of the added pressure of all skills being on cd, I tend to see more wizards make simple mistakes out of nervousness and thus I consider them the easiest class to 1on1 as a wiz myself.

tl;dr I don't see many options in a 1v1 to capitalize on a successful earthquake, nor do I see much benefit from the super armor while casting considering the root in place to the caster that follows, in 1on1 scenarios I also find earthquake quite easy to foresee. Can anyone point out any specific benefial scenarios in a 1v1 setting for earthquake that another skill couln't just execute better?

Posted

This guy uses Earthquake quite often.   Figured it couldnt hurt to post it.  (He plays a good Witch/Wizard)

Posted

This guy uses Earthquake quite often.   Figured it couldnt hurt to post it.  (He plays a good Witch/Wizard)

He plays a complete standard Wizard and the Earthquake is just Manawaste. I guess he has more than enough skillpoints and dont know what he could skill next...

Posted

Feel free to post videos of you doing something better with the witch/wiz class Wollbert.  I'll wait. 

Posted

What build are you guys using for PVP?  I'm sitting on 690 points atm and using this build.

http://bddatabase.net/us/skillcalc/8932

Level 56 with Tri Liverto Staff, Duo Steel Dagger, 2 Whale earrings, Pri Shultz Belt, Pri MOS, Valencia Ring, Tri Bares Necklace, Pri Grunil Head, Duo Grunil Body, Pri Grunil Hands, Pri Gurnil Feet. 5 Cast speed, 5 Crit.  

I can hardly kill anyone in PVP...

Posted (edited)

What build are you guys using for PVP?  I'm sitting on 690 points atm and using this build.

http://bddatabase.net/us/skillcalc/8932

Level 56 with Tri Liverto Staff, Duo Steel Dagger, 2 Whale earrings, Pri Shultz Belt, Pri MOS, Valencia Ring, Tri Bares Necklace, Pri Grunil Head, Duo Grunil Body, Pri Grunil Hands, Pri Gurnil Feet. 5 Cast speed, 5 Crit.  

I can hardly kill anyone in PVP...

Learn:

max Manashield: 25 SP

max HP passive: 54 SP

max Healing Lighthouse: 18 SP

Sum: 97 SP

Unlearn:

Level 3 Mana Leech: 20SP (lvl2 will do for now)

Magical Evasion back to 1 (you lacking SP for this, even though it's nice) 13 SP

Earthquake (not really important for now) 7SP

Castspeed passive: 30 SP

Meteor back to level 1: 37 SP

Sum: 107SP

Progress:

SP>>>Rest

Considering your gear and level, the thing that sets you back the most is your low amount of SP. An average mage at your level has 50-100 SP more than you if he played before leveling was made easier.

PvP:

Even with your lack of SP: Your current gear is nice, you should have good chances of winning 1v1's. For improving visit the arena more often and look for more experienced players to help you out with your 1v1 gameplay

Edited by Nivia

Posted

this  

and the damage is good but its  the weakest of the cd spells still very  usefull for support wizards  or hybrid  wizards witches

look your pm

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0