• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Changing your profile picture = Political activism in 2016

Cheese   122 votes

1. 1. Do you like cheese?

• Yes.
    • Obviously.
    • Who do you think I am, some kind of idiot?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

234 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Did you know that the only way to protest in 2016 is to change your profile picture on the internet?

Did you know you can make someone change their mind about something by continuing to use their service unabated?

Do you believe you are arbitrarily right about most things despite using little to no logic to come to baseless conclusions?

If you said "yes" to any of those things, change your profile to:

can-stock-photo_csp19121153.thumb.jpg.c5

This is all you have to do to affect change! Just put up the same picture as a bunch of other people with an incoherent message! You will be heard and respected!

Together, we can keep playing Black Desert while proving we're hopelessly addicted to imagined abuses!

Seriously, though.

Y'all think you can just play an MMO for free forever without any cash shop incentives?

Explain to me how every other MMO in history can have a cash shop with items that are seeded into the virtual economy except this one.

Explain to me how providing a way for those players who DON'T pay for cash shop items to buy them with silver is a bad thing.

But most of all... explain to me what exactly I am "winning" by seeding cash shop items.

Can I buy a TET Kzarka weapon right off the cash shop without someone having to actually make the item in game?

Can I buy a node war victory without having to fight it? 

Can I buy 50 failstacks with no chance of success or failure?

If you don't like Daum's decisions, that's fine. But don't pretend like your armchair activism is what will save the day. If you don't like it, quit in protest. Nothing says more to a company than people actually walking out the door. Staying inside and eating their food while telling them the lighting sucks isn't going to make them stop serving you sh*t you don't like.

But hey, don't take my word for it:

whatswrong.thumb.png.beb755e8e3ad601a417

Edited by PeregrineOmega
9 people like this

Posted

People are already quitting left and right and sorry that you have more money than brains. I'm passionate about the game and don't want to see it die personally.

2 people like this

Posted

People are already quitting left and right and sorry that you have more money than brains. I'm passionate about the game and don't want to see it die personally.

This is my favourite logic right here:

"The game is going to die because people are going to start spending more money on it."

Yeah, guys! Remember when PLEX killed EVE? Or when WoW died because you can directly buy currency with real money?

There definitely aren't any successful or long running MMOs with this kind of economy...

2 people like this

Posted

"The game is going to die because people are going to start spending more money on it."

Yeah, guys! Remember when PLEX killed EVE? Or when WoW died because you can directly buy currency with real money?

There definitely aren't any successful or long running MMOs with this kind of economy...

The game is already b2p with a f2p cash shop and sub what more do you want? It sounds to me you don't care about Kakao at all and more about your own selfish needs.

1 person likes this

Posted

Don't know much about Eve, but you can't buy the best endgame gear directly from the the Auction house in WoW. You could argue that you can buy a run through a raid (which the gear you need isn't guaranteed to drop), but that's usually after it has been on farm for awhile and is no longer relevant. 

Posted

The game is already b2p with a f2p cash shop and sub what more do you want? It sounds to me you don't care about Kakao at all and more about your own selfish needs.

So wait... The people who are complaining about "p2w" aren't in it for their own selfish interests?

How exactly does that work?

The hypocrisy is so delicious.

Don't know much about Eve, but you can't buy the best endgame gear directly from the the Auction house in WoW. You could argue that you can buy a run through a raid (which the gear you need isn't guaranteed to drop), but that's usually after it has been on farm for awhile and is no longer relevant. 

Kinda proving my point, though. Even if you can get a hold of a TET Kzarka from the MP, they cost what... 2bil on average? With current guesstimates, that's going to be roughly $600-1000, and weeks to months of investment.

Plus, someone had to actually make that TET Kzarka. Someone still had to put the time and effort into failstacks, someone had to actually get the drop off the boss. The weapon didn't just materialize on the marketplace.

Not to mention that the person buying the silver has to first, buy the cash shop item, and then SELL it on the MP to get the silver in the first place. That's going to depend on the economy surrounding that item in the first place, and require people to want to buy that item for silver instead of real cash. What we're talking about isn't at all a click-for-silver "pay2win" structure. There's no weapons or gear someone can buy that isn't first made by someone who put actual time and effort into making it.

Therefore, there's not much chance for this system to break the current meta of time-to-win. SOMEONE still has to put in the time for a Kzarka weapon to exist. You still have to actually grind to gain levels and skills. Unless that changes, the game remains not at all pay2win.

2 people like this

Posted

So wait... The people who are complaining about "p2w" aren't in it for their own selfish interests?

Kinda proving my point, though. Even if you can get a hold of a TET Kzarka from the MP, they cost what... 2bil on average? With current guesstimates, that's going to be roughly $600-1000, and weeks to months of investment.

Plus, someone had to actually make that TET Kzarka. Someone still had to put the time and effort into failstacks, someone had to actually get the drop off the boss. The weapon didn't just materialize on the marketplace.

Not to mention that the person buying the silver has to first, buy the cash shop item, and then SELL it on the MP to get the silver in the first place. That's going to depend on the economy surrounding that item in the first place, and require people to want to buy that item for silver instead of real cash. What we're talking about isn't at all a click-for-silver "pay2win" structure. There's no weapons or gear someone can buy that isn't first made by someone who put actual time and effort into making it.

Therefore, there's not much chance for this system to break the current meta of time-to-win. SOMEONE still has to put in the time for a Kzarka weapon to exist. You still have to actually grind to gain levels and skills. Unless that changes, the game remains not at all pay2win.

You could use that same argument with Archeage and look how that turned out.

1 person likes this

Posted

We only lost one so. Who cares. Let the people who are going to quit quit.
Children o:

Posted

You could use that same argument with Archeage and look how that turned out.

I'm not saying they won't ever go down the pay2win route, but I am definitely saying it's hyperbolic to call the new system pay2win. I can't name a successful MMO in the last decade which doesn't do this already.

Archeage is also pretty easy to identify as pay2win. Why? Because you can straight up buy labor (energy) and experience. You can literally pay to be the highest level. I know, because I did it.

This game ain't even close to pay2win. Barely even pay2play at this point. The Value Pack is soft money and definitely not required. Ever play SWTOR? Gotta pay if you want any kind of warehouse space at all. They also have a cashshop-to-ingameshop system and it works quite well imo. Granted, anyone and everyone can also get into full-spec pvp gear within a couple weeks... but pvp also isn't the main point of the game. PVE  is end-game, and while you could potentially buy enough in-game currency to possibly buy an end-game pve weapon... most people run the dungeons because it's much more satisfying to actually find it and upgrade it yourself.

So imagine for a moment that perhaps, both ethos could exist simultaneously. Some people who'd rather spend $1000 and get it in a month, or people who'd rather spend the time and get it in 5 or 6. It can happen, and it does.

Posted

tet kzarka is 800m. Roughly 2-3 weeks and 300 bucks. Pretty much the same prices as in rift. This is pay2win and if you're still in denial please take off your blinders.

Posted

Did you know that the only way to protest in 2016 is to change your profile picture on the internet?

Did you know you can make someone change their mind about something by continuing to use their service unabated?

Do you believe you are arbitrarily right about most things despite using little to no logic to come to baseless conclusions?

If you said "yes" to any of those things, change your profile to:

can-stock-photo_csp19121153.thumb.jpg.c5

This is all you have to do to affect change! Just put up the same picture as a bunch of other people with an incoherent message! You will be heard and respected!

Together, we can keep playing Black Desert while proving we're hopelessly addicted to imagined abuses!

Seriously, though.

Y'all think you can just play an MMO for free forever without any cash shop incentives?

Explain to me how every other MMO in history can have a cash shop with items that are seeded into the virtual economy except this one.

Explain to me how providing a way for those players who DON'T pay for cash shop items to buy them with silver is a bad thing.

But most of all... explain to me what exactly I am "winning" by seeding cash shop items.

Can I buy a TET Kzarka weapon right off the cash shop without someone having to actually make the item in game?

Can I buy a node war victory without having to fight it? 

Can I buy 50 failstacks with no chance of success or failure?

If you don't like Daum's decisions, that's fine. But don't pretend like your armchair activism is what will save the day. If you don't like it, quit in protest. Nothing says more to a company than people actually walking out the door. Staying inside and eating their food while telling them the lighting sucks isn't going to make them stop serving you sh*t you don't like.

But hey, don't take my word for it:

whatswrong.thumb.png.beb755e8e3ad601a417

welp i can already imagine Joel Moores inbox "Drink Bleach" - "Kill yourself"- "Im gonna kill you"

1 person likes this

Posted

Am I really reading this correctly? When was BDO EU/NA ever free? We all paid to play this game.

1 person likes this

Posted

Daum has said that they are not doing official forum polls anymore because they can be manipulated.

Because of that, players changing their display picture and posting is the most visible way that they can express their opinion on the forums and in ingame.

That's not what people are saying.

When a MMORPG goes P2W it winds up being like a game of musical chairs. Before P2W there are a lot of chairs and it's anybody's game. You can use your own strength and speed to remain in the game. However, once you introduce P2W you give players the ability to buy chairs. As the game progresses and chairs are taken away, eventually you come to a point where the only chairs remaining in play are the ones belonging to the players who bought them. Everyone else will have been pushed out of the game.

By pushing out the other players the game loses it's enjoyment for the ones who paid. After all, if you're paying money in order to dominate, what's the point if there is no one around to dominate?

This is the whale business model, and it is not a sustainable one. It is a business model that places all the eggs in a very small number of baskets, rather than spreading them more evenly. Once that handful of whales lose interest the game is left with nothing to keep it afloat.

It is not that games die because people are going to start spending money. It is that games die because they nullify the efforts of their playerbase through P2W and once the playerbase quits the whales lose their playground.

Posted

tet kzarka is 800m. Roughly 2-3 weeks and 300 bucks. Pretty much the same prices as in rift. This is pay2win and if you're still in denial please take off your blinders.

Don't know what server you're on, but a TET Kzarka anything is not less than 1.7b. Maybe you mean TRI? So $300 and however many weeks of selling stuff... All the power to that guy for wanting to spend $300.

In fact, I am even more in support of it now. It means someone will actually BUY the expensive weapons that sit on the market. I keep seeing the same TRI Red Nose armor sitting on the MP for weeks because who the hell has that kind of money to spend right now on one piece of gear? The no lifers are actually going to be rewarded for their silver and time spent working on those boss pieces that the "pay2win" crowd is spending money to buy.

All power to em' I say. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

1 person likes this

Posted

Don't know what server you're on, but a TET Kzarka anything is not less than 1.7b. Maybe you mean TRI? So $300 and however many weeks of selling stuff... All the power to that guy for wanting to spend $300.
In fact, I am even more in support of it now. It means someone will actually BUY the expensive weapons that sit on the market. I keep seeing the same TRI Red Nose armor sitting on the MP for weeks because who the hell has that kind of money to spend right now on one piece of gear? The no lifers are actually going to be rewarded for their silver and time spent working on those boss pieces that the "pay2win" crowd is spending money to buy.

All power to em' I say. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

sorry read tri. Yeah Tet is. But still hols similar weight . 

I just don't understand your type. You have 1000 games where you can buy your gear with irl money.

We want one game without it. That is what we were promised. Why do you have to leech everything from those of us who just want 1 -----ing MMO that doesn't go down this road? Go play archeage for gods sake!

Posted

Daum has said that they are not doing official forum polls anymore because they can be manipulated.

Because of that, players changing their display picture and posting is the most visible way that they can express their opinion on the forums and in ingame.

That's not what people are saying.

When a MMORPG goes P2W it winds up being like a game of musical chairs. Before P2W there are a lot of chairs and it's anybody's game. You can use your own strength and speed to remain in the game. However, once you introduce P2W you give players the ability to buy chairs. As the game progresses and chairs are taken away, eventually you come to a point where the only chairs remaining in play are the ones belonging to the players who bought them. Everyone else will have been pushed out of the game.

By pushing out the other players the game loses it's enjoyment for the ones who paid. After all, if you're paying money in order to dominate, what's the point if there is no one around to dominate?

This is the whale business model, and it is not a sustainable one. It is a business model that places all the eggs in a very small number of baskets, rather than spreading them more evenly. Once that handful of whales lose interest the game is left with nothing to keep it afloat.

It is not that games die because people are going to start spending money. It is that games die because they nullify the efforts of their playerbase through P2W and once the playerbase quits the whales lose their playground.

You're making a lot of grand assumptions based on no evidence at all.

And how exactly are people buying "chairs?"

Refer to my original questions please:

Can you buy a node? Can you buy a TET kzarka in the cash shop? Can you buy failstacks?

These are the only definable "chairs" in this game. In fact, nodes are the only real "chairs" in this game, and you definitely can't buy one with all the cash in the world. So stop pretending like allowing people to buy cosmetic and convenience items with silver is somehow armageddon for this game. It's the same model every other successful MMO uses.

sorry read tri. Yeah Tet is. But still hols similar weight . 

I just don't understand your type. You have 1000 games where you can buy your gear with irl money.

We want one game without it. That is what we were promised. Why do you have to leech everything from those of us who just want 1 -----ing MMO that doesn't go down this road? Go play archeage for gods sake!

How do they make money, then?

Posted

I care about Kakao as much as Kakao cares about me.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

You're making a lot of grand assumptions based on no evidence at all.

No evidence aside from the MMO's plagued by P2W problems, right?

And how exactly are people buying "chairs?"

Refer to my original questions please:

Can you buy a node? Can you buy a TET kzarka in the cash shop? Can you buy failstacks?

These are the only definable "chairs" in this game. In fact, nodes are the only real "chairs" in this game, and you definitely can't buy one with all the cash in the world. So stop pretending like allowing people to buy cosmetic and convenience items with silver is somehow armageddon for this game. It's the same model every other successful MMO uses.

Allowing people to buy cosmetic and convenience items with silver isn't the issue. The issue is that the silver is going to other players.

It is allowing players to leverage real world funds to buy ingame currency in an official form of sanctioned RMT.

That, combined with how gear is acquired in this game, creates a very bad P2W situation where players can buy BiS gear.

If they needed revenue (despite having reported that they were maintaining high revenue that they expected to last until the end of the year) than there are many other routes they could have taken.

As an example, they could have offered two prices in the cash shop. One is 100% pearls, the other is 50% pearls 50% silver. This would encourage players to frequent the cash shop more, and to buy things that they had previously been avoiding (like $30 costumes for $15 + 50million silver).

By doing it this way they would have avoided P2W, not scared off future players who will now avoid it due to P2W, not ruined their already shaky reputation, and all while garnering the goodwill of players who now use the cash shop more than before.

Edited by scau

Posted

Since the announcement, a fck ton of failed TET and PEN enhancement on ACCESSORIES just kept popping. AH is getting filled with TRI boss gears too. 

Posted

No evidence aside from the MMO's plagued by P2W problems, right?

Which ones, specifically? People love to reference Archeage, but I don't see them naming many others. But hey, inb4 you say Rift which is hard to count since it's the same publisher.

But AA is an easy target because you can literally buy energy and experience. Maybe people just have PTSD when it comes to Korean MMOs?

It is allowing players to leverage real world funds to buy ingame currency in an official form of sanctioned RMT.

That, combined with how gear is acquired in this game, creates a very bad P2W situation where players can buy BiS gear.

How is that different from so many other MMOs, though? At some point, the guy with the most money is going to have some of the best gear available because he's put in the most time and effort to do it, even if it requires real currency. It also means that all of these TET weapons people are making right now will actually be sold, cuz who the hell even has 2 billion silver to blow on one item right now?

If they needed revenue (despite having reported that they were maintaining high revenue that they expected to last until the end of the year) than there are many other routes they could have taken.

As an example, they could have offered two prices in the cash shop. One is 100% pearls, the other is 50% pearls 50% silver. This would encourage players to frequent the cash shop more, and to buy things that they had previously been avoiding (like $30 costumes for $15 + 50million silver).

By doing it this way they would have avoided P2W, not scared off future players who will now avoid it due to P2W, not ruined their already shaky reputation, and all while garnering the goodwill of players who now use the cash shop more than before.

The problem is, your anti-p2w rhetoric is actually anti-f2p.

Your example is flawed because what about the people who simply don't buy from the cash shop or cannot afford to? They will never have an opportunity to get those items. Now they can. The current cash shop is actually quite exclusive and arguably more pay2win, since how the hell do you fight someone in a black-dyed ghille suit at night without buying your own to counter? Now people who only play with silver can, and those who buy cash shop items can contribute to the economy.

It's only a death sentence if the cash shop allows you to bypass the marketplace altogether. If I could buy my way to level 58, the game would be pay2win. If I could buy the calpheon region, the game would be pay2win. Until then, it's just another MMO with a cash shop.

Posted

All the QQ:er will be back, every update , its the same.

P2W.. bla bla.. OP this bla bla, Nerf'd/bug this bla bla.. But still they are all still here.

3 people like this

Posted

Let them quit, more newbies will replace them, in time.

Nothing added so far is even that bad.

The day I'll even agree with the people using the "P2W" Meme since this forum opened is when we get an identical cash shop to the KR version.

Which literally sells nothing but P2W.

2 people like this

Posted

Let them quit, more newbies will replace them, in time.

Nothing added so far is even that bad.

The day I'll even agree with the people using the "P2W" Meme since this forum opened is when we get an identical cash shop to the KR version.

Which literally sells nothing but P2W.

Posted

"how do they make money then?"

Cosmetics and such seem to keep quite a few games up without the pay to get advantage aspect.

Posted (edited)

Which ones, specifically? People love to reference Archeage, but I don't see them naming many others. But hey, inb4 you say Rift which is hard to count since it's the same publisher.

But AA is an easy target because you can literally buy energy and experience. Maybe people just have PTSD when it comes to Korean MMOs?

People use ArcheAge because it's a very recent one with a lot of similarities to BDO.

I don't know how many MMO's you have played, but if you've ever shopped around for one you should have encountered many that are plagued by P2W issues. A few examples would be Perfect World, Age of Wushu, and Allods Online.

How is that different from so many other MMOs, though? At some point, the guy with the most money is going to have some of the best gear available because he's put in the most time and effort to do it, even if it requires real currency. It also means that all of these TET weapons people are making right now will actually be sold, cuz who the hell even has 2 billion silver to blow on one item right now?

If someone earns their gear than they've earned their gear. If they have worked at grinding for it, or building up wealth, questing, or doing boss fights than what they have is what they have earned legitimately ingame.

If someone buys their gear with real funds (or with currency bought with real funds) than they haven't earned anything. They put no effort towards it ingame and have done nothing to deserve it.

Someone paying to be on equal footing with someone who earned that footing de-legitimizes the efforts of that player who worked towards getting to that spot. And I say that as someone who is severely undergeared.

The problem is, your anti-p2w rhetoric is actually anti-f2p.

Your example is flawed because what about the people who simply don't buy from the cash shop or cannot afford to? They will never have an opportunity to get those items. Now they can. The current cash shop is actually quite exclusive and arguably more pay2win, since how the hell do you fight someone in a black-dyed ghille suit at night without buying your own to counter? Now people who only play with silver can, and those who buy cash shop items can contribute to the economy.

It's only a death sentence if the cash shop allows you to bypass the marketplace altogether. If I could buy my way to level 58, the game would be pay2win. If I could buy the calpheon region, the game would be pay2win. Until then, it's just another MMO with a cash shop.

If someone doesn't buy from the cash shop than they don't get the items from the cash shop. The cash shop items are not required to play the game, so why should they get those bonuses? That would be like giving veteran rewards to a player who isn't a veteran.

If someone can't afford to buy from the cash shop than that is where the 50% pearl 50% silver trade-off would benefit them. If someone can't save up $15 for a costume over 5 months than chances are they're not going to have a computer capable of running the game in the first place.

Buying your way to high level in BDO means very little. It is not the level grind that is the issue, it is the gear grind. Your gear is what has the greater impact.

It is baffling how you think buying a naked high level in BDO would be P2W yet buying high level gear (more useful) is not an issue.

Edited by scau
1 person likes this