• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

42 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello everyone. I'm thinking about taking the plunge and buying BDO, especially since the combat looks so freaking awesome and unique. I'm not a typical MMO player, but have played a few in the past (Asheron's Call, WoW, GW2 and ESO). 

My question is, is the combat/enemies challenging at all? I've been watching gameplay/combat videos on Youtube, and it appears that the enemies are not dangerous or threatening at all. To give a little info, I've played Dark Souls and sucked at it, but I play games like The Witcher 3 on hard and do well. I played GW2 for about 2 weeks until I became incredibly bored at monotonous gameplay and incredibly easy enemies. If a game isn't challenging, it's a waste of time to me. PvP is not my focus, I enjoy the journey of a good PvE experience.

Thanks for the help.

Posted

Hello everyone. I'm thinking about taking the plunge and buying BDO, especially since the combat looks so freaking awesome and unique. I'm not a typical MMO player, but have played a few in the past (Asheron's Call, WoW, GW2 and ESO). 

My question is, is the combat/enemies challenging at all? I've been watching gameplay/combat videos on Youtube, and it appears that the enemies are not dangerous or threatening at all. To give a little info, I've played Dark Souls and sucked at it, but I play games like The Witcher 3 on hard and do well. I played GW2 for about 2 weeks until I became incredibly bored at monotonous gameplay and incredibly easy enemies. If a game isn't challenging, it's a waste of time to me. PvP is not my focus, I enjoy the journey of a good PvE experience.

Thanks for the help.

Its heavily gear based, the more heavily gear aspect of the game is mainly towards pvp. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

BDO isnt challenging.

Unless you consider that RNG is a challenge. And unless you consider that broken pvp balance because gear power gap is a challenge.

you personal player skill barely matter ( maybe very randomly, and not often if you fight against someone with the same gear power )

Otherwise, the class gameplay are still very good.

Edited by woots

Posted

If you want the PvE content to be challenging, this probably isn't the game for you.

You'd probably want something like Dark Souls

Posted

You better try out "Vindictus" if you want real skill-based gameplay.

Posted

The combat is great fun, but they've repeatedly nerfed the mobs since the beginning. Maybe if you keep your first weapon, and don't wear armor.... I recently made it to level 45 with just 11 DP, and I had a huge surplus of healing potions.

It's a shame, really.

Posted

Some skill is necessary. I've seen people make really bad erm decisions in this game.

But no, I wouldn't consider it challenging. It's a very relaxing game, with some moments (pvp) of adrenaline.

1 person likes this

Posted

0 challenge in PvE.

This game works like this : in the early game you grind for better gear and levels (it's your PvE part : bashing tons of brainless mobs over and over again) < PvP endgame with your grinded gear and levels (lvl 56-57)

If you ever die in PvE you suck a bit (you can die on a stun if you are in the middle of a +3 levels pack without potions, but it's really really rare. Really rare = never happened to me).

Every class can farm without any problem, but some are just stronger (like wizards/witches : a range, with heal and mana drain so no need to carry around lots of potions, and with massive AoE spells)

Some skill is necessary. I've seen people make really bad erm decisions in this game.

But no, I wouldn't consider it challenging. It's a very relaxing game, with some moments (pvp) of adrenaline.

This.

Posted

Its a mental challenge, yes. Just look at the forums and it will give you an idea of the community you will have to deal with ingame.

Posted

Killing purple mobs is a bit of a challenge. All in all though the game isn't that hard when you know what you're doing. There was a lot to learn in the beginning though which was the funnest part for me personally. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the input guys.

So my next question is two-fold then.

1) If the game isn't difficult, then what part of the combat/grind/pve/etc. actually makes it fun and not repetitive and boring? For most of the games I play, the level of fun usually remains very high with an equal amount of challenge, or until mastery, levelcap, etc. is achieved. Once you start crushing everything like you've enabled god-mode cheats or something like that, it usually becomes boring. This was my biggest problem with GW2. Even around lvl 30, you still felt predominantly like a god in most situations, and combat became very "wash, rinse and repeat". I never felt generally threatened or vulnerable, and playing as a group with others just made it that much more easier.

and

2) If the game isn't difficult now, are there plans in the future to change that?

Edited by RoffleMyWaffles

Posted

1) If the game isn't difficult, then what part of the combat/grind/pve/etc. actually makes it fun and not repetitive and boring? For most of the games I play, the level of fun usually remains very high with an equal amount of challenge, or until mastery, levelcap, etc. is achieved. Once you start crushing everything like you've enabled god-mode cheats or something like that, it usually becomes boring. This was my biggest problem with GW2. Even around lvl 30, you still felt predominantly like a god in most situations, and combat became very "wash, rinse and repeat". I never felt generally threatened or vulnerable, and playing as a group with others just made it that much more easier.

and

2) If the game isn't difficult now, are there plans in the future to change that?

1. Eh, nothing really.

2. Not that I'm aware of.

Posted

Killing purple mobs is a bit of a challenge.

Still more like tedious than challenging if your are undergeared. I've been trying to remember when was the last time I died in PVE outside of world bosses but it must've been ages ago.

Posted

and

1) The PvP is challenging if the levels and the gear of the players are equal. If not it is PK.

2) No, with the upcoming awakening the damage players do will increase significantly, so the PvE will become even easier.

Posted (edited)

and

1) The end-game would be the node war and siege war, which is the large scale PvP between guilds. The PvE is quite boring and will be even more boring with the upcoming awakening. 

2) No. It will be easier with awakening.  

Honestly, I don't think this is a game for you. The game is and shift toward more of a social/casual scene with occasional GvG. 

Edited by WingsOfHeaven

Posted

The game isn't challenging in many aspects. PvP being the major focus is where the "Challenge" is.

The biggest thing this game has instead of challenge is time and how productively you use it.

Posted

and

You dont like repetitive and boring gameplay ? Wrong genre m8. Go somewhere else. MMORPGs are grind and do boring, repetitive things to achieve something like gear or whealth. Gamplay becomes routine in short time.

Posted

You dont like repetitive and boring gameplay ? Wrong genre m8. Go somewhere else. MMORPGs are grind and do boring, repetitive things to achieve something like gear or whealth. Gamplay becomes routine in short time.

That is why the genre is fading.

Posted

No skill or brain necessary, just a Wallet with your parents credit cards.

Posted

Its a fate of niche genre introduced to mainstream. And Im happy that MMORPGs are fading. There are better things to do in your life than grinding mobs for years. Cheers.

Posted

0 challenge in PvE.

0 challenge in PvP.

All is just about having a dumb luck.

Posted

The forums is the big challenge, stay away from them and you have a lovely time in BDO and also never read patch notes so 2 things.

1. Never log into the forums.

2. Never read a patch note or announcement.

Posted

and

1.  just because you find it boring doesn't mean everybody does. I find it relaxing to mindlessly kill mobs. I have yet to play a mmo, in the last 16 years where leveling was challenging. And that had only gotten worse because now they just rush you to level cap so you can run the same raid repeatedly where the just throw massive amounts of braindead mobs at you. 

Even fighting the "boss" mobs really isn't a challenge. They tend to just have massively inflated hitpoints and are immune to everything outside of straight damage.  That doesn't make them challenging. Once you learn how the AI works, all challenge in PvE is gone, unless you consider enduring long battles and the game throwing more mobs at you than more than a couple of people can handle at once challenging. I don't consider that challenging, just annoying.

A real thinking, learning, unpredictable AI would be challenging. 

Posted (edited)

A money could play this game and do better than 50% of the players here.

Edited by Kramer

Posted

that's what the genre has always been about. Killing mobs to level your character and gathering better and better eq so that you can kill stronger mobs.

The Genre is dying because the playerbase is changing.