• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Open Letter to PW2 Haters

158 posts in this topic

Posted

Here I am, thinking that someone who is 40 would realize that they have to put effort into gain anythign substantial in the world.

Oh wait, you're part of the baby boomers, my bad. That probably never applied.

The baby boomers were the generation that made this country great. Unlike millennials who want everything handed to them at little to no cost, I give props to the TC for his honest and accurate description of this generation. Baby boomers for the most part were out of the house by 18 went to college graduated, married by 25 with a stable future and financial stability, now a days is common to be living with mommy and daddy with no education whatsoever until your late 20's sometimes even in their thirties with little to no experience because most can't keep a job long enough to even work their way, if they even have a job. 

Thank you TC for this eye opener, though most of us already knew millennial is synonym with unemployed/lazy. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Gosh all those stupid replies to this Topic just shows perfectly how stupid, childish and totally retarded this comunity is.

He is in a lot of those point right. Everyone nowadays expect to play games for free, they even accept a cash shop but dare the company to put in mechanics that makes cash shop items accessible for everyone, even to those who can't effort the money for those items.

lol

Posted

...."Play to Win".....am i the only one that stopped at this sentence and just thought WTF its pay2win....

Posted

I realize the majority of players here are kids and for the better part millennials, so perhaps you may not fully understand or appreciate what I'm about to explain to you.

The entire business theory behind "Play to Win" was created because of your generation.  I'm 40 years old.  I started played MMOs in 1999 with Ultima, Everquest and Asheron's Call.  Those were the real MMOs to me, and nothing will ever compare.  After those came Dark Age of Camelot, City of Heroes and then....World of Warcraft.  Do you know what they all had in common?  A price.  You pay $49.99 for the game and a monthly fee between $9.99 to $14.99 to continue playing each month.  Don't like the game anymore?  Cancel your subscription.  Most updates were free besides major expansion packs.  

Then came you folks, the current society and the belief that everything should be "free".

Sorry, but I've got to stop you there.

I am at the edge of the age group considered "millennials", and I began playing MMO's a couple years before you did.

Nobody paid for my games when I was a teenager, and never did I believe everything should be free. I worked part time while in high school so that I could afford my own PC capable of handling gaming, and I paid for the MMO subscriptions myself - at times having more than one account to a particular game. I bought expansions the day of their releases, and my time in those MMO's was well worth the money I spent on them. I hate the F2P P2W trend and would gladly do a subscription with paid expansions in order to avoid it.

Before you come around blaming an entire age group for problems like an old man waving a cane from your porch perhaps actually look at the people who are calling for these changes. There are people from all age groups in both camps here.

1 person likes this

Posted

The baby boomers were the generation that made this country great. Unlike millennials who want everything handed to them at little to no cost, I give props to the TC for his honest and accurate description of this generation. Baby boomers for the most part were out of the house by 18 went to college graduated, married by 25 with a stable future and financial stability, now a days is common to be living with mommy and daddy with no education whatsoever until your late 20's sometimes even in their thirties with little to no experience because most can't keep a job long enough to even work their way, if they even have a job. 
Thank you TC for this eye opener, though most of us already knew millennial is synonym with unemployed/lazy. 

I love this.

Let's just ignore the fact that college/universities are much much more expensive now.

Let's ignore the fact that due to the economic instability caused by baby boomers, that marriage by the age of 25 with a stable future and financial stability is a pipe dream for the majority of the younger generations (not even counting for everyone else too.)

Not to add in the huge rise of unemployment too, and the fact that getting a job does not in anyway mean stability at all, where people have to work multiple jobs these days to make ends meet even in the worst conditions.

But no, it's cause millennials are lazy. Yes.

It's a shame that college education you had the ability to go and get for cheaper (or free, if you were in the UK) has not in anyway improved your mental capacity.

Easy to shit on others when you've had every door opened for you by your forefathers, where all that's been done is you've slammed those very same doors on the younger generations faces.

I'm using "You" as a general term here, in case you decide to nit pick on that specific point and make an argument of it.

7 people like this

Posted

This...this has to be a troll right? I don't even know anymore. Such dedication, much explanation. 

Damn, you're almost as autistic as me OP. 

You down for some finger -----ing and anal ----- RP later?

Posted

What kind of education do you guys have if you think someone in their 40's is part of the baby boomers generation?

Posted

Listen here old man, I probably earn twice what you do in a month and I'm half your age lol. I have spent hundreds on this game already but am completely against P2W. I paid for costumes, box price, inventory, weight, pets all for the reason that this sh*t wouldn't happen. To support the game.

What I don't like is having games turn into a wallet competition because then it's not a game anymore it's an expense. You think you know anything about me or anyone else who works for what they want and takes pride in their work you are f*cking deluded.

3 people like this

Posted

I don't mind paying, I have paid enough to cover a B2P and subscription model from when i started until the end of the year or more depending what they would charge for the sub. I didn't want to play a F2P game, thats why I supported this game wholeheartedly and with my wallet.

Thinking that everyone that dissagrees with pay to win has to want things for free is very narrow minded for someone of your age IMO. Many people with jobs and responsibilities including myself are against paying for ingame advantage, I thought you would know these things by now...

Posted

We all already paid for the game though.

Posted (edited)

What kind of education do you guys have if you think someone in their 40's is part of the baby boomers generation?

The terms "Baby Boomers" and "Millennials" are also used culturally, and even to do this day experts still argue and have their own theories on which years it entails. For many, it's a term used in a cultural context, and though there the general consensus is that the years are between 1940-1960, there are still discussions and arguments to this day where it's being argued.

Culturally people that were born around the 1970's around still can be considered baby boomers.

Edited by Riario

Posted

I love this.

Let's just ignore the fact that college/universities are much much more expensive now.

Let's ignore the fact that due to the economic instability caused by baby boomers, that marriage by the age of 25 with a stable future and financial stability is a pipe dream for the majority of the younger generations (not even counting for everyone else too.)

Not to add in the huge rise of unemployment too, and the fact that getting a job does not in anyway mean stability at all, where people have to work multiple jobs these days to make ends meet even in the worst conditions.

It's a shame that college education you had the ability to go and get for cheaper (or free, if you were in the UK) has not in anyway improved your mental capacity.

Easy to shit on others when you've had every door opened for you by your forefathers, where all that's been done is you've slammed those very same doors on the younger generations faces.

I'm using "You" as a general term here, in case you decide to nit pick on that specific point and make an argument of it.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know anything about the UK, nor do I care I'm a proud American. But there's plenty of ways to go to college. Financial aid, student loands, military service, schools even let you take out emergency loans to make monthly, bi-monthly payments, book loans etc. Here in the US if you don't go to college is because you don't want to. I do happen to know though that Oxford is very affordable at about $22,000 a year which any student can make even in a low paying job. 

Posted

I love this.

you realize that college is more expensive now because they are greedy for profit entities.  The more the government allows in grants and loans the higher the tuition and everything that goes along with it.

Why aren't going you protesting the absurd prices they charge? Where is the uproar for the 16th Indian cough from mass that complains about high cost of college but gets paid 400k to teach one class.

Go try to "fix" something that actually needs fixing.

Posted

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know anything about the UK, nor do I care I'm a proud American. But there's plenty of ways to go to college. Financial aid, student loands, military service, schools even let you take out emergency loans to make monthly, bi-monthly payments, book loans etc. Here in the US if you don't go to college is because you don't want to. I do happen to know though that Oxford is very affordable at about $22,000 a year which any student can make even in a low paying job. 

Who the ----- is going to Oxford University at $22,000? That is utter bullshit, the average yearly tuition for Oxford Universitry is £9,000 each year, that's £27,000, which is $35,000. This is for a student INSIDE the UK/EU. Outside, the prices range from £15,000 tp £22,500 annually, which is roughly $19,600 every year. 

If you don't know or care about the UK then you should probably not post things you don't know about without researching first.

you realize that college is more expensive now because they are greedy for profit entities.  The more the government allows in grants and loans the higher the tuition and everything that goes along with it.

Why aren't going you protesting the absurd prices they charge? Where is the uproar for the 16th Indian cough from mass that complains about high cost of college but gets paid 400k to teach one class.

Go try to "fix" something that actually needs fixing.

I protested the tuition changes that happened in the UK years ago, but it doesn't mean shit. The generations before us enjoyed free university fees, and now that they've passed, were happy to slap on a 9k fee every year. But in the end, it's all down to how lazy the millennials are, apparently. Easier to ignore the real problems.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

FireRunner: I am in 40% yet, but... NO, THIS IS NOT FREE TO PLAY game. You missed the target group.

Let me break this down for you in simple terms.  The only reason there is such a business system as "Free to Play" is because you people were to cheap to buy a game in the first place.  A company spends thousands of hours developing a product and you want it for free?  ARE YOU SERIOUS?  Would you work for free?  The answer is no.  And, before you start crying "Well, we had to buy BDO", who cares.  Do you have a monthly subscription?  No.  So, your complaint is that you had to buy a game for $30 which is playable for years without another penny?  This is when the "Play to Win" system came into play.  Companies had to get people like you to play their products and then, if possible, get you to actually reward them for their work by paying currency.  That's the stuff that pays for life (in case some of you, or many of you, don't know what that is).  See, nothing in life is free - nothing.

When I read all these new players crying over a few dollars I simply shake my head.  It's your fault the system is this way.  If you never cried about not being able to play games for free this would never be an issue.  There was never a "Cash Shop" with Ultima, Everyquest, Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot, City of Hero or even World of Warcraft.  But, there was always PLAY TO WIN in all those games because gold farming and selling existed.  It was utterly the worse in WoW, I don't recall anyone quitting the game or crying over that.  Hmm....wonder why that is.  You know what Black Desert Online doesn't have?  Gold farming and selling.  They built the game so it's impossible.  I give them major props for that and if you think the next patch will change anything - it won't.

No, the only reason to get "Free" games because publishers can generate more income and profit in this game modell because "free" modell is a lie. it's never "free". Most of times it's the hardest p2w or just "pay more - get more" system without limit.  I chose BDO because I don't want F2P game after Archeage. BDO and Daum offered this game. You buy it and you get  full game without restriction and no options to pay more and get direct resources in game. If I want f2p game without "Free" part and wioh all microtransactions and hidden sneaky milking strategies I chose other game or I stay in AA.

Short version: I BUY NON F2P game. I buy it to not get same shits than f2p system do. Than Kakao happened and all promises gone to the garbage.  We BUY it one time, We PAY subscription (Value pack) than we can pay to get in game resources directly (microtransaction + in game trade of RM items). This is scam.

We buy "product A" and we get "product B". Core properties iof product changed in short time.

Edited by Mikroman

Posted

I'm not even going to bother breaking this drivel down point for point...

The reason the p2w model came to be has nothing to do with millennials and everything to do with market expansion and spending trends.

I would argue that gold sellers were more instrumental in coaxing companies to travel down that path because they demonstrated there was a real demand for in game stuff for real world money and you started to see early p2w before millennials even were old enough to *START* making a real impact on the gaming market in the late 90's / early 2000's.

Posted

Who the ----- is going to Oxford University at $22,000? That is utter bullshit, the average yearly tuition for Oxford Universitry is £9,000 each year, that's £27,000, which is $35,000. This is for a student INSIDE the UK/EU. Outside, the prices range from £15,000 tp £22,500 annually, which is roughly $19,600 every year. 

If you don't know or care about the UK then you should probably not post things you don't know about without researching first.

I protested the tuition changes that happened in the UK years ago, but it doesn't mean shit. The generations before us enjoyed free university fees, and now that they've passed, were happy to slap on a 9k fee every year. But in the end, it's all down to how lazy the millennials are, apparently. Easier to ignore the real problems.

Get a job, pay for school, get a better job = profit? 

Posted (edited)

F2p is free to play.  The consumer is enticed to open the wallet.  That is on the consumer and it is called marketing.  You are hit with messages all day long attempting to lighten your wallet.

The model is to get you to spend and it works really well apparently.

Edited by Talizar
Phone sucks

Posted

I don't want to get into a flame war with you OP, but I feel like the company can make more money by other means. I know that a company needs to make money, I do, but I don't think they should enact this update without some communication with the player base first before doing something. 

Posted

Get a job, pay for school, get a better job = profit? 

Already done. I'm very well off, so I haven't a problem. If anything, I'm pretty I've worked harder and accomplished a lot than the older generation probably has and achieved more in my life, but that's not the discussion here. It doesn't change the core problem that the rug has been pulled out from under the feet of these "lazy millennials" and are forced to jump through hoops to gain the same benefits you did back when you was the same age. But it's this whole outlook and mentality that people have that has pitted generation vs generation.

But again, it's so easy to sit in your armchair, and grumble about how  "good people were" back in the old days and how hard working everyone was, and how people had to work for their futures when you've had someone set everything up for you.

But no, go ahead and keep telling yourself at how "great" your country is and how it's these young'uns these days who ruined everything for poor America! I'm guessing you also blame the immigrants too, right?

I can tell you're a Trump supporter, by the way. 

Posted

F2p is free to plan.  The consumer is enticed to open the waller.  That is on the consumer and it is called marketing.  You are hit with messages all day long attempting to lighten your wallet.

The model is to get you to spend and it works really well apparently.

I don't think anyone expected it to work so well either. People spend thousands on games that used to cost only 30-40€ (+possible sub). We'll never get rid of DLCs either.

Posted (edited)

The trick is to get in a co-op University program that guarantees 4-5 paid internships in your domain throughout your studies. I'm not sure about other countries, but where I live, it's very common in engineering. This way you can graduate with no debts if you are good with money (and meaningful working experience). Granted, our tuition fees are very affordable, but they have raised exponentially in the recent years... Our Universities are slowly but gradually adopting the american model, which is frightening. I'm seriously concerned about the future of my to-be kids.

Edited by BurningBern

Posted (edited)

It's simple really, old man. It's a hobby. When I go out and play football with my friends I don't throw money on the goalkeepers face to let me score. 

That's is because your mom and dad bought you sneekers, a Soccer ball(football), paid taxes to have the field mowed and paid a fee to have referees moderate the game. You prove his point. Your mom and dad pay for it so to you it is free so you assume there is not cost for your entertainment. That said the post made my brain hurt. P2W is PAY to Win not Play to Win. Play to win is what most early sub games were as the only, only way to get gear and money was to play the game. Then later buy it from gold sellers (pay to win). Our generation started that long before most of these people were born.

The real rise of pay to win though was app games. Once companies saw that people would pay large amounts of money for little work on their end the age for the Sub MMO was at an end. Sad.

Edited by trixsterjl

Posted

I'm not bothered by this P2W fiasco, selling costumes for silver doesn't seem so bad to me, but honestly you're just a vitriolic person. The millennial thing and Sanders supporter insults also don't do anything but make you come off as unnecessarily angry and aggressive. Maybe you should cut back on those 60hr work weeks and calm down.

1 person likes this