• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Open Letter to PW2 Haters

158 posts in this topic

Posted

You know what Black Desert Online doesn't have?  Gold farming and selling.  

As a casual gamer now I could care less about the Cash Shop being available to players for silver

As someone who played those older games you should know that those are playing to win.  We are not disappointed by the game not being free. We are disappointed that someone could use their real life money to get the ingame currency. Players want their ingame time and only that to translate to gear success withint the game. In WoW raiding leads to endgame PvE gear. Imagine that gear being tradeable and then someone sells something that can only be bought with real money to be able to afford the gear with ingame currency. This heavily undermines the raiding feature.

Also there is a service that no one should ever use that advertises itself in BDO.

Posted (edited)

Here I am, thinking that someone who is 40 would realize that they have to put effort into gain anythign substantial in the world.

Oh wait, you're part of the baby boomers, my bad. That probably never applied.

Another idiot that doesn't even know the right generation.

Those of us that are 40+ are " NOT " part of the baby boomers. We are part of the Gen " X er's " a.k.a the 1970's you Moron! The Baby Boomers were born back in the late 40's to mid 60's.

Edited by Rothbane

Posted (edited)

OP is what we call a "baby boomer" :)

Not correct Baby boomers are mainly dead they were born after WWII a flood of babies born after johnny came marking home again.

Gen x.

Edited by trixsterjl

Posted

Hey look, yet another entitled jackass who believes he's so special because he earns money

Flash news : people who spent hundreds on the game already are against this change - myself included - because it's bad for the game itself, not because we want everything for free you tunnel visionned self centered special snowflake wage-earning genius. But i guess it doesn't help your small point.

Also :

The only players who have millions of silver sitting around are you hardcore players.  Therefore, the only players who will be able to afford (if they actually cost that much) these Pearl Shop items will be you.  Therefore, if the economy does changes it's because those players next to you who are pretending to hate this next patch...well, they actually love it and will buy those Pearl Shop items.

Gotta love when people shoot whatever cause they support in the back by trying to defend it. Jouska specifically said they intended to make these changes to help the most modest players access PS content. So i guess you admit there's duplicity at work. Thanks for trying though.

Posted

isnt that strange that all P2W defenders are new in this forum and they start their activity with posts to defend it?

kiss_6kb.1470598378.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

That's is because your mom and dad bought you sneekers, a Soccer ball(football), paid taxes to have the field mowed and paid a fee to have referees moderate the game. You prove his point. Your mom and dad pay for it so to you it is free so you assume there is not cost for your entertainment.

Eh, when I was a kid I used the sneakers my parents bought me for you know.. walking, we played in a forest so no obv no1 mowed it, didn't even have goals so we used trees as posts.. and uh referees? really? So the only real expense was having 1 ball for a dozen kids, horribly costly entertainment. Idk where you grew up man but I wish I had your entitled childhood, making me jelly

Posted (edited)

Another idiot that doesn't even know the right generation.

Those of us that are 40+ are " NOT " part of the baby boomers. We are part of the Gen " X er's " a.k.a the 1970's you Moron! The Baby Boomers were born back in the late 40's to mid 60's.

I'll quote myself:

The terms "Baby Boomers" and "Millennials" are also used culturally, and even to do this day experts still argue and have their own theories on which years it entails. For many, it's a term used in a cultural context, and though there the general consensus is that the years are between 1940-1960, there are still discussions and arguments to this day where it's being argued.

Culturally people that were born around the 1970's around still can be considered baby boomers.

When talking culturally, you are linked to Baby Boomers. I do apologize if that offends you, but that's discussed extensively in scholarly circles.

Note and Edit: It's even funnier, because Gen X benefited equally from their fore fathers as much as Baby Boomers did. So my point still stands.

Edited by Riario

Posted

No.

Reason f2p/p2w is the dominating model these days is money. Gaming producers/developers makes more from micro-transactions related to cash shop than subscriptions.

Even a game like WoW makes majority of money from micro transactions these days, while you can even play it for free, buying monthly subs for silver in-game.

Subscription based games are dying. Not because some generation wants stuff free, but because there's thousands of MMORPG's on the market and insane competition (compared to 15-years ago). Not enough players to populate all games as well as staying loyal long enough to subscribe. Always some new stuff to try out. 

The best and probably only way for publishers to squeeze out money from whatever population they can maintain is encouraging usage of the cash shop.

But being to greedy has a price. MMORPG's only focusing on store items and p2w related, wont last very long.

Posted

isnt that strange that all P2W defenders are new in this forum and they start their activity with posts to defend it?

kiss_6kb.1470598378.jpg

Number of posts and approval rating doesn't mean S_ _ T ! Look at and post the truth  a.a. the Join date.  Just because We don't spout off about every little thing doesn't mean we are new. And yes I joined back on April the 3rd. Because that is when I found out about the game.

Posted

Eh, when I was a kid I used the sneakers my parents bought me for you know.. walking, we played in a forest so no obv no1 mowed it, didn't even have goals so we used trees as posts.. and uh referees? really? So the only real expense was having 1 ball for a dozen kids, horribly costly entertainment. Idk where you grew up man but I wish I had your entitled childhood, making me jelly

RIght you played for free in a free environment. We payed for the game the rest is as free as we want it. I do not support the idea of cash shop sails though. I played on an overgrown field myself or we mowed it to make a play field. I'm old like the OP so I can appreciate a lot of what they say but todays children didnt invent P2W.

Posted

Isnt this post inciting a flame war and therefore against the rules?

Why is this not deleted yet?

Supports p2w therefore kept in the forums

Posted

I realize the majority of players here are kids and for the better part millennials, so perhaps you may not fully understand or appreciate what I'm about to explain to you.

The entire business theory behind "Play to Win" was created because of your generation.  I'm 40 years old.  I started played MMOs in 1999 with Ultima, Everquest and Asheron's Call.  Those were the real MMOs to me, and nothing will ever compare.  After those came Dark Age of Camelot, City of Heroes and then....World of Warcraft.  Do you know what they all had in common?  A price.  You pay $49.99 for the game and a monthly fee between $9.99 to $14.99 to continue playing each month.  Don't like the game anymore?  Cancel your subscription.  Most updates were free besides major expansion packs.  

Then came you folks, the current society and the belief that everything should be "free".  It's the "me me me" attitude.  You think you are the most important person in the world.  Products, people and how the world works should revolve around you.  Yes, I'm referring to all you players who cry when you have to actually pay for something.  I'm guessing you are all Sander supporters who wants to free load off everyone who works.  I've been working since I was five, yes that five years old.  I worked through high school, college, after college, etc.  Currently, I work about 60 hours a week and make an excellent living supporting my family. But, the major difference between people like me and people like you...I don't expect anything for free.

Let me break this down for you in simple terms.  The only reason there is such a business system as "Free to Play" is because you people were to cheap to buy a game in the first place.  A company spends thousands of hours developing a product and you want it for free?  ARE YOU SERIOUS?  Would you work for free?  The answer is no.  And, before you start crying "Well, we had to buy BDO", who cares.  Do you have a monthly subscription?  No.  So, your complaint is that you had to buy a game for $30 which is playable for years without another penny?  This is when the "Play to Win" system came into play.  Companies had to get people like you to play their products and then, if possible, get you to actually reward them for their work by paying currency.  That's the stuff that pays for life (in case some of you, or many of you, don't know what that is).  See, nothing in life is free - nothing.

When I read all these new players crying over a few dollars I simply shake my head.  It's your fault the system is this way.  If you never cried about not being able to play games for free this would never be an issue.  There was never a "Cash Shop" with Ultima, Everyquest, Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot, City of Hero or even World of Warcraft.  But, there was always PLAY TO WIN in all those games because gold farming and selling existed.  It was utterly the worse in WoW, I don't recall anyone quitting the game or crying over that.  Hmm....wonder why that is.  You know what Black Desert Online doesn't have?  Gold farming and selling.  They built the game so it's impossible.  I give them major props for that and if you think the next patch will change anything - it won't.

As a casual gamer now I could care less about the Cash Shop being available to players for silver.  So what.  Half you people keep saying "Well, you casuals will never be better than me in PvP because I took the time to learn the class".  Okay, you're likely correct.  So then why are you upset?  Yes, let that question sink in for a moment.  If being great at a game makes you proud, well you still are after this patch based on your theory.  Besides, let's all be real and face the fact that the majority of players who dislike this patch are the ones who play 24/7.  And if you say "It's not fair" I have one response to you: Whoever told you life was fair?

I look forward to the patch to see how it impacts the economy.  Because in reality no one knows what the prices will be.  If a player sells five Charles Rune outfits for $5 million each is that really an economy breaker?  Seriously, you whiners remind me of Sanders supporters.  You just respond to the message without doing the research.  The prices of everything is controlled, so until we actually see players willing to buy a decorative outfit for $50m or $100m per, this new system will have little impact.  Also, think about this next point for a moment.  The only players who have millions of silver sitting around are you hardcore players.  Therefore, the only players who will be able to afford (if they actually cost that much) these Pearl Shop items will be you.  Therefore, if the economy does changes it's because those players next to you who are pretending to hate this next patch...well, they actually love it and will buy those Pearl Shop items.

But, I will reiterate my overall point.  If people would simply pay for products and services in this industry we would not have "Free to Play" or "Pay to Win".  You want to play a game.  Pay for the game.  Pay the company who made it so they can pay the people who built it.  Yes, I realize it's a tough concept for you free loaders to comprehend.  But, maybe (just like RNG) some of you will get lucky and the light will turn on.  And, if you don't like the game - quit.  It is that simple.  Only you are making it difficult.

Very well thought out and written post.

I too am one of those older employed gamers who started playing online in the late 90s and played ALL those MMOs you mentioned.

I am not a supporter of a p2w system. I am, however, a supporter of paying a monthly subscription and paying for expansions.

So whereas I do agree that the developers need to make money, I do not agree that implementing a p2w environment is the best way to go.

We'll see come the patch. But just as an example, in the other regions where BDO has been out longer those costumes sell for between 88 million silver to 101 million silver. And that, my friend, would negatively impact gameplay. Simply put, it would give players the ability to purchase rare powerful gear outright with little to no effort. And regardless of what anyone will tell you, gear trumps skill in BDO.

Posted (edited)

Didn't bother to read your garbage, but i'm sure you're the kind of people that would pay someone else to fully up the desire of his wife because of how lazy and incompetent you are.

Calling it garbage without bothering to read the very comment you're disparaging.

Wow.......

Edited by OldCuban
1 person likes this

Posted

I realize the majority of players here are kids and for the better part millennials, so perhaps you may not fully understand or appreciate what I'm about to explain to you.

The entire business theory behind "Play to Win" was created because of your generation.  I'm 40 years old.  I started played MMOs in 1999 with Ultima, Everquest and Asheron's Call.  Those were the real MMOs to me, and nothing will ever compare.  After those came Dark Age of Camelot, City of Heroes and then....World of Warcraft.  Do you know what they all had in common?  A price.  You pay $49.99 for the game and a monthly fee between $9.99 to $14.99 to continue playing each month.  Don't like the game anymore?  Cancel your subscription.  Most updates were free besides major expansion packs.  

Then came you folks, the current society and the belief that everything should be "free".  It's the "me me me" attitude.  You think you are the most important person in the world.  Products, people and how the world works should revolve around you.  Yes, I'm referring to all you players who cry when you have to actually pay for something.  I'm guessing you are all Sander supporters who wants to free load off everyone who works.  I've been working since I was five, yes that five years old.  I worked through high school, college, after college, etc.  Currently, I work about 60 hours a week and make an excellent living supporting my family. But, the major difference between people like me and people like you...I don't expect anything for free.

Let me break this down for you in simple terms.  The only reason there is such a business system as "Free to Play" is because you people were to cheap to buy a game in the first place.  A company spends thousands of hours developing a product and you want it for free?  ARE YOU SERIOUS?  Would you work for free?  The answer is no.  And, before you start crying "Well, we had to buy BDO", who cares.  Do you have a monthly subscription?  No.  So, your complaint is that you had to buy a game for $30 which is playable for years without another penny?  This is when the "Play to Win" system came into play.  Companies had to get people like you to play their products and then, if possible, get you to actually reward them for their work by paying currency.  That's the stuff that pays for life (in case some of you, or many of you, don't know what that is).  See, nothing in life is free - nothing.

When I read all these new players crying over a few dollars I simply shake my head.  It's your fault the system is this way.  If you never cried about not being able to play games for free this would never be an issue.  There was never a "Cash Shop" with Ultima, Everyquest, Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot, City of Hero or even World of Warcraft.  But, there was always PLAY TO WIN in all those games because gold farming and selling existed.  It was utterly the worse in WoW, I don't recall anyone quitting the game or crying over that.  Hmm....wonder why that is.  You know what Black Desert Online doesn't have?  Gold farming and selling.  They built the game so it's impossible.  I give them major props for that and if you think the next patch will change anything - it won't.

As a casual gamer now I could care less about the Cash Shop being available to players for silver.  So what.  Half you people keep saying "Well, you casuals will never be better than me in PvP because I took the time to learn the class".  Okay, you're likely correct.  So then why are you upset?  Yes, let that question sink in for a moment.  If being great at a game makes you proud, well you still are after this patch based on your theory.  Besides, let's all be real and face the fact that the majority of players who dislike this patch are the ones who play 24/7.  And if you say "It's not fair" I have one response to you: Whoever told you life was fair?

I look forward to the patch to see how it impacts the economy.  Because in reality no one knows what the prices will be.  If a player sells five Charles Rune outfits for $5 million each is that really an economy breaker?  Seriously, you whiners remind me of Sanders supporters.  You just respond to the message without doing the research.  The prices of everything is controlled, so until we actually see players willing to buy a decorative outfit for $50m or $100m per, this new system will have little impact.  Also, think about this next point for a moment.  The only players who have millions of silver sitting around are you hardcore players.  Therefore, the only players who will be able to afford (if they actually cost that much) these Pearl Shop items will be you.  Therefore, if the economy does changes it's because those players next to you who are pretending to hate this next patch...well, they actually love it and will buy those Pearl Shop items.

But, I will reiterate my overall point.  If people would simply pay for products and services in this industry we would not have "Free to Play" or "Pay to Win".  You want to play a game.  Pay for the game.  Pay the company who made it so they can pay the people who built it.  Yes, I realize it's a tough concept for you free loaders to comprehend.  But, maybe (just like RNG) some of you will get lucky and the light will turn on.  And, if you don't like the game - quit.  It is that simple.  Only you are making it difficult.

Your attempt at lumping all the p2w naysayers into freeloaders deservers merit wholly based on its powerful propaganda technique.

However you would find that SINCE EVERYONE BOUGHT THIS GAME UP FRONT it doesnt really hold water.

Also, most of the outcry comes FROM BROKEN TRUST. I guarantee a large percentage of the p2w haters would trade all forms of p2w for a base sub fee to play the game.

You say its their fault subs went away cause they want stuff for free? No its because gaming companies did away with subs to make far MORE MONEY off "p2w" gambling addicts.

I do appreciate your post but it makes a lot of baseless assumptions about the nature of the anti p2w person.

Posted

I too am one of those older employed gamers who started playing online in the late 90s and played ALL those MMOs you mentioned.

I am not a supporter of a p2w system. I am, however, a supporter of paying a monthly subscription and paying for expansions.

So whereas I do agree that the developers need to make money, I do not agree that implementing a p2w environment is the best way to go.

We'll see come the patch. But just as an example, in the other regions where BDO has been out longer those costumes sell for between 88 million silver to 101 million silver. And that, my friend, would negatively impact gameplay. Simply put, it would give players the ability to purchase rare powerful gear outright with little to no effort. And regardless of what anyone will tell you, gear trumps skill in BDO.

Sadly the P2W micro transactions have made game companies lazy. Only a few like Blizzard hare smart enough to created regular real content and sell only cosmetic and convince items. The best at it atm seems to be SWTOR who'd i'd still be playing if it wasn't a single player game since the last patch.

1 person likes this

Posted

It's simple really, old man. It's a hobby. When I go out and play football with my friends I don't throw money on the goalkeepers face to let me score. 

Yeah you do if you are FIFA or the Olympics committee lol

Posted

If the middle aged players feel like they're better than the younger generation and vice versa then I have bad news for you both, if you all start acting like entitled 3 year olds then non of you should feel as proud as you present yourself to be as it is pretty saddening and an utter embarrassment if I may say so.
Changes are bound to happen in games whether we like that or not, and ultimately we have little to non influence over that as we are just some of many customers and not the developers / publishers. No matter what the change will be there will always be people opposing the change as well as people embracing it, and there will also be people who do not care a slightest bit about it. However this does not mean that because one another has a different opinion than you, that this person is wrong and to be considered a lesser intelligent being. I sometimes just wish that people could respect each other and their opinions the same way I was taught when I was being raised, realising that each and every other person you encounter is not a robot and has feelings as well as a brain. Now please look back at yourself and think deeply 'Am I being reasonable when I judge another player for being from a different generation and having a different opinion than mine?', and if I am to have any faith left in humanity then I hope the answer to that question I asked there is no. 

Posted

You are completely and utterly missing the point of the people who are against Pay to Win. It's not that people don't want to pay--many people who are against pay to win has already spend thousdands of dollars into this game. As a matter of fact, if this game had a mandatory subscription for everybody (thus making it fair), nobody would be complaining that this game is Pay to Win.

This is the reason why pay to win is considered against the principles of competitive gaming. If you want to be superb at anything (soccer, ping pong, research, painting, gaming--literally anything), you have to devote your time and dedication into it. Can you be the top 10 best soccer player in the US by having a full time job? No, you cannot. Can you be the best SC2 player, CSGO player, LOL player etc while maintaining a side job? No you cannot. Can you compete in the Olympics while maintaining a full time job? No, you cannot. If you want to be the best, you have to devote all your time and efforts into it. That's what makes it competitive and rewarding.

The new system which allows people to essentially convert money into silver ruins this idea. Theoretically, some rich guy can spend only 30 minutes a day on this game and become of the best players by simply having the best gear, and someone who would dedicate 10 hours a day playing this game may fall behind.

So the idea is that the game is now Pay to Win. Not dedication to win. Not hard work to win. It's pay to win. Some may argue, "well I worked hard for my money," but that's like saying, "I made 100 million dollars while working, so let me compete in the Olympics too." No, it doesn't work that way. You either choose to be an athelete in the Olympics or you choose to work and make money. You can't have both. If you could somehow have both, then Olympics would be a joke. If you want to be good at this game, the only proper way should be to dedicate time and effort. Nothing else.

So by Daum/Pearl Abyss/Kakao releasing this new system, they are essentially delcaring that this game is no longer considered competitive. This new change doesn't affect the PvE players at all. It only affects the PvP players who enjoy the competitive aspect of the game.

Posted

lol. We don't care about the things you think we do.

A heavyweight Whale could just open their wallet, buy those Charles Rene outfits, put them up on the market and then log out. Next time they'd log in they would get more silver than they generally deserve to earn. Voila, regardless of their level they are now legitimately more powerful than any new player that might have started but not have a pocketed 100mil silver for gear.

Just an example. Propagating further issues in BDO won't help or support the game in any way, especially introducing P2W, which may very well radically reduce its lifespan.

Posted

I'll quote myself:

When talking culturally, you are linked to Baby Boomers. I do apologize if that offends you, but that's discussed extensively in scholarly circles.

Note and Edit: It's even funnier, because Gen X benefited equally from their fore fathers as much as Baby Boomers did. So my point still stands.

Yeah well least you forget it was our generation that gave rise to yours.

The sad thing is with each passing generation it just keeps getting worse and worse on every level of any topic you can possibly think of too discuss.

It can all be chalked up to the lack of parenting skills / Passing those skills on.

Posted (edited)

Thing is even if you are willing to pay for a monthly subscription, the company behind the game can still turn their back to the players and make their game F2P, after they cashed in the hype (Tera)

So is it really because of the people that scream (I WANT EVERYTHING FREE) or is it the game industry that scams their customers, and just mold their statistic the way they want to make look like peoples want everything to be (FREE ALL THE TIME) ?

Edited by PawSkillZ
TYPO
1 person likes this

Posted

I'm older than the OP. So, I guess it's OK for me to point out that his post read like it was written by a 2nd grader. I honestly tried to get through it, since it was offered up by a contemporary, but I just couldn't. 

It reminds me of the following quote:

"... what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!"

1 person likes this

Posted

kiss_6kb.1470598378.jpg

pretty sure that there are far more new protester accounts posting.

Pot meet kettle.

Posted (edited)

It reminds me of the following quote:

"... what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!"

LOL why do i recognize the quote. And I mostly agree. The use of Play to Win was killing me.

alright I got it. I only post this is answer the question it is not directed by me at anyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

Edited by trixsterjl

Posted

I must disagree--this post isn't very well thought out at all. If what he says is true, that some young immature kids don't want to pay for a game, then why have so many anti-Pay-to-win players spent so much money on this game already? The point of the anti-pay-to-win argument is that the game must be fair and competitive. It has nothing to do with not wanting to pay. If this game had a mandatory subscription for everybody, nobody would call this game Pay-to-win, because nobody has an advantage, and yet the developers would still get paid.

1 person likes this