• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

BDO's Publisher's Q2 results are out and you won't believe what they show!

331 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Here are the figures: -

Q4 2015 - BDO had a revenue of 8,785 million KWON = ~$7,961,494.1

Q1 2016 - BDO had a revenue of 16,694 million KWON = ~$15,129,104.4

Q2 2016 - BDO has a revenue of 33,629 million KWON = ~$30,476,617.5

We can't accurately state how many copies of the game has been sold as the figures don't show how much each region has sold or how much is from the cash shop, but the fact that the revenue of the game has DOUBLED in the space of 3 months as well as the fact that the game has been reported to have 1 million copies sold in EU/NA leads me to believe that BDO is in fact NOT dying, not even close to it.

As said above these numbers only show us revenue and not box sales, but we can guestimate how many copies have been sold using this data. EU/NA was released at the end of Q1, before this Kakao's income for BDO was from KR and was averaging (over the past 7 quarters) at 8.77 billion KWON. Let's say that this average continued, this means that the revenue from the past two quarters MINUS the KR revenue for each quarter would be [(16.694-8.77) + (33.629-8.77)] = 32.783 billion KWON or ~$29,709,921.58. If we divide this by the minimum box price of $30 we end up with a maximum of 990,330 copies sold.

Now this may SEEM similar to the claim of 1 million copies sold but at the same time we are ignoring the cash shop sales and more expensive boxes so this number could be lower.

HOWEVER, we also don't know how much LESS the KR version is making due to the game being released in EU/NA, so the number could actually be higher. 

tl;dr Revenue from BDO has DOUBLED in Q2 2016 and shows that BDO is in fact growing (or that players are spending more) [at least up until the end of June].

Edited by Plunge
24 people like this

Posted

I'm really interested to see how their q3 turns out.

Those numbers go through June.

6 people like this

Posted

tl;dr Revenue from BDO has DOUBLED in the past 3 months and shows that BDO is in fact growing (or that players are spending more).

But apparently still not spending enough for them. If the game is growing it's certainly not happening in Croxus. For example there's only a single tier 6 horse (and 2 tier 1's) being sold in the horse market right now.

1 person likes this

Posted

so.. the game is dying? yup looks dead

Posted

But apparently still not spending enough for them. If the game is growing it's certainly not happening in Croxus. For example there's only a single tier 6 horse (and 2 tier 1's) being sold in the horse market right now.

because croxus was the dead server on release, no one planned to go there as it people only knew until basically the last day until release there was only 2 servers, everyone made up their minds to where they are going, croxus will always be the least populated out of the 3 servers.

1 person likes this

Posted

HOWEVER, we also don't know how much LESS the KR version is making due to the game being released in EU/NA, so the number could actually be higher. 

True, but one could look at past quarters to see that BDO before na/eu was around 8b kwon. wouldn't be a stretch to say they are still around 8b of that 33 figure.

Posted

True, but one could look at past quarters to see that BDO before na/eu was around 8b kwon. wouldn't be a stretch to say they are still around 8b of that 33 figure.

The problem with that is there were a fair amount of players from the NA/EU coverage areas playing the KR server before na/eu and that assumption wouldn't account for players who dropped that version for this one.

Posted

they are still around 8b of that 33 figure.

KR and was averaging (over the past 7 quarters) at 8.77 billion KWON.

Posted (edited)

Isn't Q2 = april, may, june ? why are you saying past 3 months

Edited by Chi Cha

Posted

Because the scarcity of horses is indicative of the size of the player base.

Posted

wtf man. I was agreeing with your post for the most part.

Posted

Isn't Q2 = april, may, june ? why are you saying past 3 months

Are you saying April, May and June aren't in the past? Can see how it's confusing though so I'll change the wording. 

wtf man. I was agreeing with your post for the most part.

I've already covered KR maintaining the same revenue in the calculations, however it could have dropped due to players switching to EU and NA. We don't know either way, so I just took an average of KR's revenue. 

Posted

Because the scarcity of horses is indicative of the size of the player base.

Unless you think different types of people rolled on different servers, yes it is.

Posted

Aha basically it means if they have so much they didnt really needed to impement P2W , it was just pure greed because we have payed hell a lot already, avarage player has payed in 5 months around 300 euro, as all people payed 30 eu - cca 2000 eu in that period as i know.

6 people like this

Posted

Unless you think different types of people rolled on different servers, yes it is.

You are experiencing a major cognitive disconnect duder.

Posted

Aha basically it means if they have so much they didnt really needed to impement P2W , it was just pure greed because we have payed hell a lot already, avarage player has payed in 5 months around 300 euro, as all people payed 30 eu - cca 2000 eu in that period as i know.

No, they need more to fund O2O ventures like Daum Taxi, or Daum Hairstyles.

Posted (edited)

Hmmm so they appear to be swimming in money, but rather than investing into servers to finally do something about the desync or better update policy (awakenings), they simply go p2w to get MORE money. Maybe not that surprising. The fact that some people appear to be elated by this certainly is more surprising.

Edited by Cookie van Snott

Posted

Thanks for this info. Makes me more certain on wether I will invest some cash into the game or not. Nice figures.

Posted

wow and for somereason people say this game is dieing but in reality its growing well :D

Posted

But if i buy now Legion it would cost me 45 eu i guess + 5 months subs it would be 105 euro, so 105 euro for 5 months game play and i can be 100 percent sure no big changes happen in that period, i mean nobody will come and say Dear players now you can buy in AH end game raid gear and even legendary weapon, so all players can have better access to those items ...

Posted

Aha basically it means if they have so much

This revenue, not profit. Operating costs for BDO increased. 

they didnt really needed to impement P2W ,

They didn't, game isn't P2W.

it was just pure greed because we have payed hell a lot already,

A company wants to make money! The shock! I hope that when/if you have a job you NEVER ask for a raise and you NEVER want to earn more money, as that would be "greed" using your logic. 

avarage player has payed in 5 months around 300 euro, as all people payed 30 eu - cca 2000 eu in that period as i know.

Source for this? How do you know what the average player has spent? How do you know what the population is currently? :) 

2 people like this

Posted

This revenue, not profit. Operating costs for BDO increased. 

They didn't, game isn't P2W.

A company wants to make money! The shock! I hope that when/if you have a job you NEVER ask for a raise and you NEVER want to earn more money, as that would be "greed" using your logic. 

Source for this? How do you know what the average player has spent? How do you know what the population is currently? :) 

Everybody needs to make money , and i have been playing game very actively 5 months in very good guild and of course i know how much my mates have payed in that period , and even if is game not P2W negative change has happened. i have payed around 300 eu and im not that type who need to have all costumes and crap from market so im assuming people payed around 300 but even more in 5 months , if i pay 300 in wow i can play min 2 years not only 5 months. This is one hell a lot expensive piece of game my friend

2 people like this

Posted

I see that Plunge said already its revenue, not profit. If we want numbers then we should know how much did they spend on servers, game itself, payments for crew etc. Then we will be able to tell if they got some cash out of it. Its like with the movies, they spend 250 mil on them not to get 270 mil but 500+ mil and make another one :) Sorry for my bad english :)

Posted

And i dont care what is theirs clean profit , everybody need to pay bills not only big companies. I just know people invested quiet a lot in short period , i have been asking people in game what pack they have bought it was like 7 of 10 people bought conqueror and it was only beginning of milking 

Posted

who cares about any of that shit? There are less people online than before