• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

The quality of some of this RP.

93 posts in this topic

Posted

It will eventually wear at a person and make them feel as negative about RP as their experiences have been, if all one does is have contact with the types of RP they don't enjoy. It's easy to start feeling like everyone around you is a bad RPer, and that you can't find quality RP under those circumstances. The thing is, you have to ask yourself -why- you're experiencing this sort of RP, and then work to try to break out of it. 

I went through a phase of it. My character was situated in Heidel and I spent time in the taverns trying to make RP contacts organically, but only ended up frustrated dealing with the constant OOC requests for ERP, and other types of RP I didn't really enjoy being around. Just seemed like approaching people sometimes was like pulling teeth to get them to RP something other than a sex pick-up. On top of that, I ended up in several guilds that folded, and several friends started leaving the game. 

Getting really discouraged, I took a break. When I came back, I decided that since I couldn't find the sort of RP I wanted to be a part of, I set out to create what I wanted to enjoy, because I'll be damned if I was going to subject myself to the type of RP I had before. Still not seeing any guilds that my character would fit into, and really not having interest in PvP endgame, I created my own tag - mostly to stop people from hassling me to join their guilds. I have joined a couple of Discord groups where I've met some people to RP with, and where I've gotten my character's business involved. Also hosting an event soon. I've gotten away from people who only want to RP "pick-ups" and I've made more positive RP connections this time around. I also have a lot more positive outlook by cleaning up the RP and RPers that I just didn't jive well with, and began surrounding myself with the types of RP I enjoy. Now I'm enjoying RP in BDO. 

I've had the exact experience as you. I've situated myself in a perfect spot now. I haven't had as big of a irritating time since I've stayed away from the tavern. I separated myself from that because I actually tried too. I made myself a little known and got myself in a guild that RP's a lot and I'm happy. Half of these people are most likely not trying very hard at all.

Posted

You're fat.

I'd like to think of it more as that I beat anorexia. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

It makes me want to go to deep space and scream into my own ass.

A lot of the characters I've personally seen are like;

I brought this up with a pretty strong writer who finally got tired of wasting their efforts just to get tuned out by incoherent fishing for ERP and attention.

He said and I quote;

"These people have no standards. Well--You can't have standards if you don't even know what they should be to begin with. Let alone think about them, because all that consumes you are survival instincts and the next chance you have to choke your own -----, or feel important. Most of these people actually disgust me on a physical level." -Adam.

Anyway, that's all I really have energy to share. I can feel the salt coming, but hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

TL;DR

Hidden Content

So?

I bet you fall into the lore whore/guy who polices everyone in the bar type RP'er.

also bar RP. lololol

Edited by Novastar

Posted (edited)

The Main problem with Roleplayers in general is that a nice eighty to ninety percent of them are never concerned with an over arching story ( of its own right ) They don't care how a plot is developing with interesting thought points ( of it's own right ) What they may or may not know/be able/willing to admit is that their interest in these things exists solely When these things revolve around or lead to a direct interaction with them.

" Well of course you -----ing tit, Why would they be overly invested in something they aren't personally doing? "  Hang on there shit poster, let's break down what I mean by not being concerned with story elements outside themselves. A lack of non personal story interest creates a kind of dis-connect where in the player can or will not care about the over actions of elements as large as say the country they live in, the people known there or the story that led those people to be renowned. On a smaller scale this can remove a less apt or able writing player to ignore things like guild motivations and actions in roleplay, participating in open and random events, etc.

When this happens you as a player stagnate your pool of play, you can never overcome a great trial because the trials you expose yourself to are the ones you are personally already involved in and that gives a sense of what to expect and how to approach it for any thinking player. You lose the opportunity to enrich and be enriched by other random characters and individuals in the world around you because you fail to realize you are both writer and reader and reading about a character often interests us in them in one form or another, ignoring any depth they may have in favor of self gratifying interaction or simply ignoring them gives us nadda.

I wrote a really great post about role play in MMO's on another topic in this section which if you don't think I sound like an idiot you should read. I've been at story telling and roleplaying for a little too long it feels like some times, so I like to at least pretend I know a little about the subject academically. BDO Is great for casual RolePlay but the kind of satisfying story gratification a player of a higher quality is looking for can't exist here without a large support structure of like minded people. We'll get there someday baby.

1af33bbe837b9b1d65c9ac632afc856f90796618

Edited by The Fool
1 person likes this

Posted

Trump will fix all of this.

Posted

Sometimes you can find people so dedicated to RP. I wish I was so cool

rp shit.JPG

Posted

dang... I haven't RP'd since I last played tera... which also was what ruined it for me, to many people would cut off of topic and just yell out, "ALRIGHT! Sexy time!"

hearing all this... probably not gonna start back on it any time soon.

And common! Who doesn't like a bit of black and red? your enemies cant see you bleed if you wearing all red. Now when your challenged to fight something at the same difficulty as a world boss alone, that's probably a good time to wear brown. ;)

Posted (edited)

So?

I bet you fall into the lore whore/guy who polices everyone in the bar type RP'er.

also bar RP. lololol

>starts with 'so' like a defensive edgelord preparing to use their level 99 fedora strike of ignorance 

>profile is booby waifus need i even say more

>Assuming my rp type what are you some  misogynistic trans-rp phobic cis erp-only roleplayer 

>Won't understand my satire. will ignore/ take whatever I said out of context to protect their ego

Edited by Rohunt

Posted

You know, I've sort of found the opposite. The RP I've experienced in this game is some of the best I've participated in. Then again, I did what others in this thread already suggested: actively sought out like-minded people to tell stories with, and created the roleplay I enjoy best. But even outside of that little niche, the diversity and scope of the RP I see on a daily level is immense. Of course there are going to be people who are still in their amateur stages, or people who are looking more for ERP than other things (but who cares, whatevs, I don't judge), or people who enjoy a completely different type of roleplay than you do. But negativity breeds more of the same. I sort of think that if we spent more time concerning ourselves building our own RP (and less criticizing/categorizing others' RP), we'd enjoy ourselves more. Which is the whole point xD

3 people like this

Posted

>starts with 'so' like a defensive edgelord preparing to use their level 99 fedora strike of ignorance 

>profile is booby waifus need i even say more

>Assuming my rp type what are you some  misogynistic trans-rp phobic cis erp-only roleplayer 

>Won't understand my satire. will ignore/ take whatever I said out of context to protect their ego

so mad. so sad. such bad.

Posted

I would love to meet some more people in game to RP with.  I am on Velia-1, but can switch to another server of need be. 

Posted

I would love to meet some more people in game to RP with.  I am on Velia-1, but can switch to another server of need be. 

Most RP is happening on Calpheon-2. Always things happening in the major hubs, Velia, Heidel and Calpheon.

Posted

as someone who started on Edan and isn't much of an RPer, I've been hanging out in velia/heidel for the past week and just kind of spectating the chatter. for the most part the only negative bits ive seen are the occasional trolls that come in to mess with RP crowds.

i mean i definitely see some of the erp types running around but they usually keep it in private. i guess it's probably different since my perspective is just as an onlooker but the rp community here seems really solid.

also from the few people I've talked to you guys are like super friendly. like surprisingly so.

Posted

I haven't seen any real RP in this game yet.  Just a bunch of dudes sexting one another and believing they are actually sexting with a real female, LOL!

Posted

as someone who started on Edan and isn't much of an RPer, I've been hanging out in velia/heidel for the past week and just kind of spectating the chatter. for the most part the only negative bits ive seen are the occasional trolls that come in to mess with RP crowds.

i mean i definitely see some of the erp types running around but they usually keep it in private. i guess it's probably different since my perspective is just as an onlooker but the rp community here seems really solid.

also from the few people I've talked to you guys are like super friendly. like surprisingly so.

*points* STALKER!

Posted

*points* STALKER!

naaaahhh. naaaahhhh. nah. :D

Posted

In general I don't see many RPs in this game. A few of my friends and I RP quests or even just grinding for XP. Simple stuff like giving context to why we are killing Foxes to Extinction or why we must cut 800 or so trees. At first we used General chat but we have since moved to voiced RP in Discord, Rule is we stay in character until in-game night time in which we can go OOC. We also have our characters eat for a few in-game minutes. 

Posted

I haven't seen any real RP in this game yet.  Just a bunch of dudes sexting one another and believing they are actually sexting with a real female, LOL!

Haven't been looking, apparently.

In general I don't see many RPs in this game. A few of my friends and I RP quests or even just grinding for XP. Simple stuff like giving context to why we are killing Foxes to Extinction or why we must cut 800 or so trees. At first we used General chat but we have since moved to voiced RP in Discord, Rule is we stay in character until in-game night time in which we can go OOC. We also have our characters eat for a few in-game minutes. 

That's a neat take on it! In case you're curious, it is completely impossible to avoid seeing RP in Heidel at most hours of the day on Calpheon 2. The quality is hit or miss, but it's definitely there. I've heard other areas of the channel are populated to, but Heidel seems to be the natural hub.

As was said above, Calpheon 2 channel is the hub-start there! :)

Posted

Haven't been looking, apparently.

BS!  If people really do RP it's in whispers, party or guild chat.  The only thing the Roleplay channel gets used for is spam and virgin boys saying stupid crap they think is hot.

Posted (edited)

BS!  If people really do RP it's in whispers, party or guild chat.  The only thing the Roleplay channel gets used for is spam and virgin boys saying stupid crap they think is hot.

You are mostly correct about 'RP chat' (blue channel), but why on earth would you expect anything else from a global channel chat with an energy cost? As with most games, RP happens in either general chat in community-defined hubs (the tavern by Heidel north gate being one example), player-made locations/events (usually player housing at designated times), or in guild/party groups wherever they might be. If you are in calph 2 you cannot possibly avoid rp for long unless you are in the middle of nowhere or have general chat off.

Blue chat is and always will be 'channel chat for RPers', essentially.

Edited by lolfail

Posted

You are mostly correct about 'RP chat' (blue channel), but why on earth would you expect anything else from a global channel chat with an energy cost? As with most games, RP happens in either general chat in community-defined hubs (the tavern by Heidel north gate being one example), player-made locations/events (usually player housing at designated times), or in guild/party groups wherever they might be. If you are in calph 2 you cannot possibly avoid rp for long unless you are in the middle of nowhere or have general chat off.

Blue chat is and always will be 'channel chat for RPers', essentially.

A real RPer doesn't break character and spam BS in any chat channel.

Posted

A real RPer doesn't break character and spam BS in any chat channel.

...I assume you're attempting to troll in some fashion, but if not, then to each his own. I'm sure there are at least some out there who might share that sentiment, and I wish you luck in finding them.

Needless to say, for any onlookers who might be curious, that's not an opinion most RPers in an MMO are going to share.

Posted

...I assume you're attempting to troll in some fashion, but if not, then to each his own. I'm sure there are at least some out there who might share that sentiment, and I wish you luck in finding them.

Needless to say, for any onlookers who might be curious, that's not an opinion most RPers in an MMO are going to share.

Not trolling and real RPers in MMO's and real life would share my opinion.  You are obviously NOT a real RPer.

Posted

Not trolling and real RPers in MMO's and real life would share my opinion.  You are obviously NOT a real RPer.

....yes, clearly not.

Posted

A real RPer doesn't break character

e59a15e5a7de01b0ba6042da3c2aedc2.png

*Applause*