• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

The Grass isn't Greener

104 posts in this topic

Posted

I waited several years for BDO because nothing was able to fill the void since Everquest, Lineage II & Asheron's Call.  The truth is you don't have anywhere else to go.  This type of game is very rare and expensive to produce.  You will find a handful of "somewhat similar" games, but they won't be able to produce the same effect.

BDO is probably most comparable to Lineage II

* Seemless Open world with PVP & Sieges

* A very detailed land mass that takes hours to cover

* Infinite scaled progression in both level & equipment

The heart of BDO is a grind game which many don't seem to comprehend.  So many players get "bored" after months of grinding, but that is the entire game, in every aspect.  Whether it's breeding, gathering, or crunching mobs.  You should know that on day 1, not look back after 4 months of it and wonder what happened.

That not necessarily a bad thing, but it is a distinction.  There are plenty of MMO's that are simply not designed that way.  You level through them generally much quicker and dispose of them.  BDO is designed to be long term.  That forces sometimes painful exp progression and equipment.  The reason it needs to be nearly impossible to get the best of everything is so you always have something to improve.

BDO does offer more than most.  In addition to the grind fest there are tons of extras.  Breeding horses, Fishing, Alchemy, Gathering, etc.  The combat pve mechanics are also top notch for this type of game.

Sure it has it's flaws, and plenty of them, but as it stands today that doesn't diminish it's greatness.

33 people like this

Posted

Albion online is def greener. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I waited several years for BDO because nothing was able to fill the void since Everquest, Lineage II & Asheron's Call.  The truth is you don't have anywhere else to go.  This type of game is very rare and expensive to produce.  You will find a handful of "somewhat similar" games, but they won't be able to produce the same effect.

BDO is probably most comparable to Lineage II

* Seemless Open world with PVP & Sieges

* A very detailed land mass that takes hours to cover

* Infinite scaled progression in both level & equipment

The heart of BDO is a grind game which many don't seem to comprehend.  So many players get "bored" after months of grinding, but that is the entire game, in every aspect.  Whether it's breeding, gathering, or crunching mobs.  You should know that on day 1, not look back after 4 months of it and wonder what happened.

That not necessarily a bad thing, but it is a distinction.  There are plenty of MMO's that are simply not designed that way.  You level through them generally much quicker and dispose of them.  BDO is designed to be long term.  That forces sometimes painful exp progression and equipment.  The reason it needs to be nearly impossible to get the best of everything is so you always have something to improve.

BDO does offer more than most.  In addition to the grind fest there are tons of extras.  Breeding horses, Fishing, Alchemy, Gathering, etc.  The combat pve mechanics are also top notch for this type of game.

Sure it has it's flaws, and plenty of them, but as it stands today that doesn't diminish it's greatness.

Maybe you should move to Korea, they currently got 100+ games exactly like this.

1 person likes this

Posted

Albion online is def greener. 

Sorry its not just another shitter mobile game.  Not sure why people are hyped about it.

8 people like this

Posted

You can't say the grass isn't greener when you haven't tried everything that's out there, what you find enjoyable here may not be what other players enjoy. Honestly, if it wasn't for life skills and crafting/worker empires I probably wouldn't play this game. I preferred Tera's combat, the fact they had healing classes and the over-all PvP scene; but the game lacked any sort of crafting or life skills that were worthwhile for me so I came here. Coupled of course with the fact that EME were a terrible publisher and couldn't pour water out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel and the boot was riddled with holes and was actually over-flowing with water,. 

5 people like this

Posted

Yep, Albion Online...

It's coming.

Posted

Meh, Albion Online and Revelation Online are the only things I keep an eye on for now, and well, despite its horrible management BDO still offers better gameplay than any other MMO out there.

Posted

Yep, Albion Online...

It's coming.

looks like something out of the 1980s, lol.  

9 people like this

Posted

Well you could wait for Phantasy Star online, for the last 9 years, but guess which forum all of you are on ;)

When Lineage II was deflating there was tons of talk about Age of Conan being the next greatest thing, well it wasn't.

The reality is many of these players would just end up in the same situation no matter what they are playing.  There are other good games out already, Devillion isn't so bad, and Blade and Soul is probably the best action based game, but it's not an infinite grinder.

Most companies won't allow a game like BDO.  The player base will whine about how tough it is until it's casualized.  The "WOW syndrome".  That's what happened to Diablo 3.  Now the drop rate and exp are ridiculously high.

3 people like this

Posted

albion online looks like shit but atleast there people drop all thier shit so if they waste money they lose it when they die

Posted

I think most people "comprehend" perfectly fine that BDO is a grind game. The grind is fine. Honestly, I don't mind the mindless killing of mobs for exp, silver, or drops cause I can just watch Netflix or something. The whole experience is actually rather soothing. The problem that many have is the RNG. You can grind and grind and grind, pour your heart and soul into getting materials and silver, and then get -----ed over by RNG when trying to get TRI Witch's Earrings. Yes, everyone knows the risks involved in trying to get TRI accessories, but do those risks really need to exist to begin with? It's one thing to pour hours and hours in getting a long-sought after item and another to completely fail in getting it just because of "bad luck."

And yes, while BDO is designed to be "long-term", the current format that it has prevents a lot of potential content from being made. How are they going to make something better than Kzarka weapons when so many people have trouble getting the weapon now and upgrading it? How will they create something better than the current boss armor when so many people have trouble even getting Bheg's gloves? The biggest thing that these expansions add is the better grinding spots to level, but even that won't hold people over forever.

Posted

I think most people "comprehend" perfectly fine that BDO is a grind game. The grind is fine. Honestly, I don't mind the mindless killing of mobs for exp, silver, or drops cause I can just watch Netflix or something. The whole experience is actually rather soothing. The problem that many have is the RNG. You can grind and grind and grind, pour your heart and soul into getting materials and silver, and then get -----ed over by RNG when trying to get TRI Witch's Earrings. Yes, everyone knows the risks involved in trying to get TRI accessories, but do those risks really need to exist to begin with? It's one thing to pour hours and hours in getting a long-sought after item and another to completely fail in getting it just because of "bad luck."

And yes, while BDO is designed to be "long-term", the current format that it has prevents a lot of potential content from being made. How are they going to make something better than Kzarka weapons when so many people have trouble getting the weapon now and upgrading it? How will they create something better than the current boss armor when so many people have trouble even getting Bheg's gloves? The biggest thing that these expansions add is the better grinding spots to level, but even that won't hold people over forever.

How is that ever a reason. Liverto used to be the shit an no one will no buy that now either.

This whole wanting to stop the RNG thing is a huge meme to me. Deal with it. Or don't. Shit's getting old. They know want they did, they want it that way and they know a lot of people don't like it.

3 people like this

Posted

How is that ever a reason. Liverto used to be the shit an no one will no buy that now either.

This whole wanting to stop the RNG thing is a huge meme to me. Deal with it. Or don't. Shit's getting old. They know want they did, they want it that way and they know a lot of people don't like it.

No one buys Liverto anymore? You're a funny one. And I never said anything about "stopping RNG" nor have I seen people wanting to completely get rid of it - just mitigating its effects and the negative impact.

Posted (edited)

Well you could wait for Phantasy Star online, for the last 9 years, but guess which forum all of you are on ;)

When Lineage II was deflating there was tons of talk about Age of Conan being the next greatest thing, well it wasn't.

The reality is many of these players would just end up in the same situation no matter what they are playing.  There are other good games out already, Devillion isn't so bad, and Blade and Soul is probably the best action based game, but it's not an infinite grinder.

Most companies won't allow a game like BDO.  The player base will whine about how tough it is until it's casualized.  The "WOW syndrome".  That's what happened to Diablo 3.  Now the drop rate and exp are ridiculously high.

^ this! ill give you a like when i got.So many people wanting everything WoW syndrome well put "casuallized" bdo is no that kind of game.I been playing mmos for  along time played Uo,everquest,lineage1 and 2.pretty much every mayor mmo.some enjoyed mroe than the others..When i played mmos way back and iw as a young un.I saw UO and i imagined how would a mmo be in the far future and i would imagine something like BDO.But after wow came((after vanilla cause vanilla was good)).then the mmo market got over saturated with overly casuallized dungeon themeparks.For a while i thought id never see a living world game again that was like ultima online.But ehre is bdo.Yes its nit perfect,yes its got flaws.But no other mmo has hooked me up so much since ultima online like this one.Theres a lot to do,There are high goals,a beautiful world to explore and enjoy.I even do whaling.None of the mmos that are out right now offer what BDO does.So im staying here for years  ^.^ sorry if it sounded like a rant it kinda is.Thanks for reading

Edited by LinaCrysta
3 people like this

Posted

Playing a MMO is not a requirement in life.

If people are not enjoying the game anymore or don't like what's it become, they move on to something else that's not necessarily another MMO.

Posted

If it weren't for all the bots and cheaters, my friends and I might still have played L2, but after a while you just get so fed up by bots in all spots and its not like in BDO where you can PK people without any penalty

If we didn't have so much else to do in BDO I could have been lvl 100 by now..

Posted (edited)

I don't have a problem with the actual Grind.  I LIKE grind.  Especially Resource procurement grinds & mining activities.  The problem here is.... they've gone farther into the Liar's hole than any of those other MMO's to date and refuse to be up front about it.  That's not a design issue, its a TERRIBLE BUSINESS PRACTICES issue

Only an idiot would throw away all their free time to continue to invest in such a steep grind when the people running the show are acting so wrecklessly

Edited by iller
1 person likes this

Posted

In NMS, the grass is oranger. :P 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

No one buys Liverto anymore? You're a funny one. And I never said anything about "stopping RNG" nor have I seen people wanting to completely get rid of it - just mitigating its effects and the negative impact.

I guess that wasn't the right choice of words. I meant to say that it's out there like candy.

And the rest of the comment wasn't necessarily directed at you, but hey... if the hat fits...

If it weren't for all the bots and cheaters, my friends and I might still have played L2, but after a while you just get so fed up by bots in all spots and its not like in BDO where you can PK people without any penalty

If we didn't have so much else to do in BDO I could have been lvl 100 by now..

You got it the other way around, you can get PKed without penalty now.

Edited by Katsuragi

Posted

If you're buying a Liverto at this point, you're doing it wrong. Unless you mean like, for your alts or something.

And the rest of the comment wasn't necessarily directed at you, but hey... if the hat fits...

please tell me whatelse to buy when there is nothing else in the MP....Kzarka? is a joke to even try to buy one when pre-order is just broken system

Posted (edited)

please tell me whatelse to buy when there is nothing else in the MP....Kzarka? is a joke to even try to buy one when pre-order is just broken system

Night vendor.

Either way, I edited my original post. I guess it depends on your server and how  hardcore you're going.

Edited by Katsuragi

Posted

I miss lineage 2, i'll be honest AA and this are the closest i've found to any game that's even come close to the expansiveness of Lineage 2 and still not quite there because L2 was bigger and had more places to grind regardless. Lineage 2 became plagued with bots, gold sellers, then shifted from a sub to a full retard CHOO CHOO train into cash shop ville which is sad. I've been waiting for this game for years so i'll stick around to see what happens weather the storm so to speak because there is nothing better. Legion will just do the same shit wow's done over the last 10+ years bring new players into candy land, bring back the old players begrudgingly do the new content get bored after 3 months and leave. FF14 is a great game, Graphics, storyline, music, just not what I'm looking for and the gear treadmill becomes tiresome, Gw2 lul I havn't played that game in so long I don't even care anymore. And honestly I can't even think of any other AA or AAA mmo's that are recent to compare to. So i'll wait patiently breeding my horses grinding crafting fishing till awakenings come and add a new depth to the system.

Posted

LOL I don't want to deal with any game that does not offer play style such as BDO. I don't usually go for graphics but that over the head look or slash and wait to get hit to attack again is not attractive at all.

Posted

In NMS, the grass is oranger. :P 

oranger and 10fps! :D

Posted (edited)

Sorry its not just another shitter mobile game.  Not sure why people are hyped about it.

hyped? im playing it now.. its not hype its real pvp with drama and shit.. i freaking love it. they kinda gave up on the mobile thing.. its very much pc now

dude, you have no idea the shit your missing.. One MMOer to another, it truly is a great game.. if your into hardcore PvP,crafting, drama,open world all the time.. The world is huge huge huge.. bigger then BDOs.. but youll have to check it out for yourself. i wish you luck either way.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl21oPOawM8

Edited by Cohen