• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

OMG games are dying

55 posts in this topic

Posted

People tend to mess up “dying for me” with “dying in general”. Because they refuse to accept the simple truth: people enjoy different things. If you don’t like something, maybe thousands of people don’t like it too. But there are another thousands who will like it. And millions who wouldn’t care.

We all know WoW is dying, right? It’s dying for already how many? 14 years? More? Here is the prove: Wow is dying.

http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17610651056
http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17610923380
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20743765366

I used to play GW2 a lot, at some point lost interest and moved to another games, although never uninstalled it. Who knows at some point I might want to go back. Anyway, most likely not, because guess what. The game is dying.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Is-GW2-dying-Just-a-question-no-hate
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/43suwg/is_the_game_dying/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2tenxn/is_guild_wars_2_dying/

I never played Tera, but heard that it’s a good game. Too bad I’ll never try it. Yes, the game is already dead.

https://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/How-dead-is-Tera
http://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/4449/game-is-empty-dying-lot
http://board.tera.gameforge.com/board2-tera-en/board687-en-forum-archive/218644-the-reason-why-tera-is-dying/?s=632751ae1e8d4ab354d390edb8c6b88f5634b3a3

If you google any game name and add “is dying” you’ll find a lot of threads claiming that the game is dying. Well okay, looks like every MMO around is dead or quickly dying. Then I better go and play some MOBA, I heard there are millions of players in LOL every day. Oh, wait. LOL is dying... FML.

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/gameplay-balance/nUp8mYbE-is-league-of-legends-dying
http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/gameplay-balance/aMrKswa7-league-is-dying
https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/4rnn8x/is_league_of_legends_dying/

20 people like this

Posted

Gotta feed dem trolls.

Posted

LOL Archage has been told to be dying, and so is Mabinogi, its funny. I log into those games once in a while, and the dying games are still active and has players.

I use to be one of those people who says this game is dying then I turned around saw it, my computer is lagging because theres all this white squares around me  just moving around doing their own thing. 

But facts like that doesnt matter to the trolls. Logic and facts dont matter when all your sole purpose is to troll.

4 people like this

Posted

star trek online been dying for 6 years

1 person likes this

Posted

AA is pretty dead. Ofc there are still a few playing but endgame wise its pretty dead. Also getting patron (premium) as a f2p player requires you to nolife the game. So forget about beeing competitive pvp/endgame wise as f2p.

1 person likes this

Posted

It was funny when people were saying stuff like "Can't find a group for scrolls anymore, see! Servers emptied!" or "Lol Heidel is empty now" after 'P2W patch'. I kinda expected population to go down a bit, but in my experience I've been seeing more and more people around [Jordine] even since cash shop increase.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yep, was fun to see all that people with the "/p2w" logo on their heads, camping the Marketplace Vendor at Heidel right after the patch LMAO. Those people and all the dread-sayers shouldn't be allowed to buy costumes with silver now. 9_9

2 people like this

Posted

Yep, was fun to see all that people with the "/p2w" logo on their heads, camping the Marketplace Vendor at Heidel right after the patch LMAO. Those people and all the dread-sayers shouldn't be allowed to buy costumes with silver now. 9_9

The people who shout in channel and server chat making demands of costumes xD  

Posted

We managed to snipe a lvl3 node with no war....half my guild nodewars are without competition. If you dont do pvp in this game then you cant understand how dead it feels.

3 people like this

Posted

Yes, many player have the big illusion in their brain, the illusion that the game is dying at the moment he/she leave the game. But the true is that the universe don't spinning around just this player. It can be hard to understand it for them....

Posted

We managed to snipe a lvl3 node with no war....half my guild nodewars are without competition. If you dont do pvp in this game then you cant understand how dead it feels.

well PvP isn't the maincontent and nobody cares about nodes 

Posted

there is a lot dead in bdo, not everything tho x)

Posted (edited)

You do realize the term "game is dead" is not equal to "game servers are closed", right? WoW is dead since long ago. Nowadays it's a pathetic zombie, that lives only because of former glory. People come to check out new content and leave again. If they didn't invest both time and cash into the game they wouldn't even bother. Number of new players in WoW is pathetically low, even thousands are doubtful. Rate of people that stay around is also laughable. WoW is dead.
It's the same with both GW2 and Tera. BnS also died 2 months after launch. Pvp arena got infested with bots, people started leaving, people started migrating here to BDO (hell, I was one of 'em). Nowadays, you need to wait few minutes to get a match in 1v1 arena. Against a bot. Fight against a human? Dream on. If you didn't get a high rank at the beginning you are in ELO hell of cheating bots, that are not always beatable, because they are outright invincible. 3v3? Good joke. But hey, both forums and servers are up, right? So it's not REALLY dead, just 99 year old with testical cancer after 20th chemiotherapy lying as a vegetable in a coma. Come on guys, it's not DEAD, right? Doesn't mean it's not dying though. BDO is dying. Will it ever die? It will take a long time. You obviously don't understand how freaking HARD it is for MMO to die. They can't just shut servers down and say "Sorry guys, not enough moneyz, cya in our next game". That's why game can be both DEAD and still have players. 

Dude, only an idiot wouldn't grab 8m sub pack or 6m pet. Grabbed shitload of them, I'm a happy man. Doesn't mean it's not P2W or that it's dying. I just refuse to pay $$$ for sub if I decide to ever come back, if it doesn't become completely p2w (it will but hey, what else am I supposed to do with all that cash anyway? Might as well gamble it on a slim chance they won't merge servers and make BDO F2P)

Ouch, with every letter you wrote we could hear one of your brain cells commit suicide.

Even though some of it might be true but on the other hand non of those games are dead, they still live, they still get new players. WoW, i do agree is a Zombie and the user numbers dropping but thats because WoW is now more than 14 years old. To make it good again they would have to make a WoW 2.0 with better graphics and better gameplay.

Games that are really dying close their servers. Ragnarok online was such a case in EU. The Company holding the license to publish it in EU decided to close the game. So everyone lost everything no matter how much time they put in the game. However the database from the servers were kept stored by the developer Gravity and one year later another company came, purchased the license merged all the old player database into the new servers and everyone could continue to play and this game still has thousands of players, thousands of Fans.

But yeah game is dead, a prediction like "You will never need more 640kb memory" - Bill Gates 1981

Edited by Micariel

Posted

Well, Technically all games start dying as soon as the first player leaves

just as we humans start dying the day we are born.

Posted

Exactly this. They are hypocrites of the highest order. I was against this P2W patch so you won't see me using the system as a means to get ahead of other players, now that the prices are still low. I mean those people with their signs and protest, should at least stand by their word (they won't as they lack morals and are doing whatever they do for personal gain, not to add value to the game).

Posted

If your main objective in the game is to chop wood the game is full of trees no problem there.But if you want to do some pvp there is no many ppl out there

Posted

Tibia is Dying since 19 years ago?

Posted

If your main objective in the game is to chop wood the game is full of trees no problem there.But if you want to do some pvp there is no many ppl out there

no my main objective is to explore what the game gives and to chill, if i want to play real pvp i join real pvp games.
If you play the game for pvp and if you leech a unfamiliar guild for this "nodewars" you're doing something wrong.

Posted

You do understand WoW has seen a near 70% drop in population over the last 3-4 years; Tera has seen a ~50% drop in population over the last 2 years and GW2 saw a 30-40% drop in concurrent users in the last year right?

While "dying" might be a bit hyperbolic, but short of LoL (which may have population shifts, I really don't know) the games you cited all have seen a significant down-trend in active population.

Just throwing that out there... I don't think you could argue it's the sign of a healthy game to lose half your client base in short order.

1 person likes this

Posted

no my main objective is to explore what the game gives and to chill, if i want to play real pvp i join real pvp games.
If you play the game for pvp and if you leech a unfamiliar guild for this "nodewars" you're doing something wrong.

Sorry Vasco De Gama but i play mmos to interact with other ppl and there is no greater way to do this than pvp. Stop treating the game like a single player one and you will understand that pvp is the only endgame that this game has to offer. Btw try no mans sky for exploring and to chill.

Posted

For many players it is. At least try to accept that people have different tastes.

Posted

Most people liked to say that a game is dying because they spend much time on a single option, and forget all others alternatives. So after a time, its normal that the game start to get boring after a few months doing the same thing. As I play BDO since RU server, and from the start of NA server, I too get bored from it already, and almost stopped, so I changed my mind about the way I was playing. First of all I start do finish most of offline games that I liked, like the new Tomb Raider, The Evil Within, Witcher 3, and etc. I would still log everyday on BDO, but most to spend my energy. Latter, I started to try another things like crafting, map exploration, and do quest without the thinking of "I NEED TO BE STRONG" and just keep enjoying the game on a whole. Its normal to see less people now than when the game started, cause theres too much guys who just come, grind like a madman, then get bored and leave while complaining, but the guys who love the game and have friends will keep playing.

1 person likes this

Posted

Most people liked to say that a game is dying because they spend much time on a single option, and forget all others alternatives.

Actually usually people say a game is dying because large chunks of their friends leave and they start to notice a lot less people on when they are playing.

Usually what validates that assertion is when they look up active population charts and see massive down-trends.

All games have turnover rates, but what really matters is overall retention rate, and if a game is losing players 2-3 times faster than it's gaining them that's when people really start running around saying "ded game"

It's usually a bit of an overstatement because usually the games still stay "alive" for awhile, sometimes a number of years, but by many people's standards having 20% of peak player numbers = dead.

People point to WoW like it's some shining example of a game that just wont die and kinda ignore that they used to have a subscriber base in the 12+ million and while they've recovered quite remarkably for Legion they don't have anything resembling those numbers anymore and are hovering at about 6 million after those big gains leading into Legion. Blizzard has made an announcement that they are no longer going to provide numbers because they know it looks bad to have a massive recovery and not even be at half peak and want people to stop using real numbers to back up their assertions about population shrink.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

You do understand WoW has seen a near 70% drop in population over the last 3-4 years; Tera has seen a ~50% drop in population over the last 2 years and GW2 saw a 30-40% drop in concurrent users in the last year right?
While "dying" might be a bit hyperbolic, but short of LoL (which may have population shifts, I really don't know) the games you cited all have seen a significant down-trend in active population.

Just throwing that out there... I don't think you could argue it's the sign of a healthy game to lose half your client base in short order.

How many BDO "key" did  Daum/kakao sell? 1,1 millions? How many players are active ? 120k? If this is right BDO can't or don't want to keep players. 89% of all players left the game.  And his is "pre p2w patch" datas maybe. Maybe daum sold many keys in the past, but we see small effects only. MAny new players and many players left the game. This is not a big problem if game can "catch" new players. If the game can insert new palyers to the spaces of "leave game" guys.  Last patch and stupid news and 0 information tactic was different thing. That hit game hard. Less players do AFK things, less players was active in  longer time, less players join to the node wars. The real patch is not bad like in other regions maybe, but it's not fair game. And this "smaller evil content" didn't fix the game. No more trust in this company, nobody will come back to the game after "smaller" p2w patch (if he/she left the game).  And this effect was big. You can't see the new guys who join in, play 2 days and left the game because they don't want play 100-1000 hours. But you see effect if it hits the big/most active guilds. Many big guilds lost old, experienced players. Strongest players. And players activity is bad in all times and areas now.   If you see the negative effects you can overreact it too. this inactivity make damage in longer time.  And I don't see the "Great future of BDO" now. This is average game with not fair play game system and  with not trusted publishers now. But don't worry. Nice costumes and good graphic will save the game and the company. Shiny things, cute girls, bobs. This game can't fail. :D

Edited by Mikroman

Posted (edited)

OP, gr8 b8 m8. This thread got surprisingly decent example of, 'Burden of proof' fallacy off the bat. But might as well go ahead, and bite the bait.

All game are deaaaad! - Except it isn't. How do we know a game is actually dying? The developing studio [Not community manager], moved on to next project, instead of working on the game. Feeling accomplished, or done with updating it. Or the developers cannot afford to maintain the servers, and cannot find a cheaper alternatives. Perhaps the developers decided to shut the game down due to economic reasons. Maybe the publishers do not enjoy the content brought, and decided to shut it down? There's many, and countless possibilities. It isn't black, or white checkerboards. Many of these people think that if a game have no players in their area. They'll scream, 'IT'S DEDZ, MAN DEDZ!'. The truth is rather simple.

Let take Guild wars two for an example. Most people is skeptical if the game is dying. Of course it isn't. Why? Because it's divided into many zones, and across gamemodes. There is WvW, sPVP, PVE, and Raiding. Communities will be split into these four category, to accommodate amount. You would have to involve all these numbers together to get a total. PVE is alot more trickier, because it can be anywhere on the main gameworld. Therfore you can't fully determine the game is dying.

In words. Can a game die? Sure. Look at Vanguard: The saga. It died a year ago, or so. Does ti suck? Yes, it definitely does. The thing is, the game will alway continue to survive as long as the developers can continue to afford servers, pay employees, projects, and trying to keep everyone satisfied within the studio.

Edit: I also forget to mention - Casual players are the one that leave the game the earliest when they find something else interesting to do. They never stay gravitated, or loyal to one game.

Edited by Skullcatron
Added edit.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0