• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Black Desert vs Guild wars 2

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Which game is better and has more players you think ?

Posted

Better is subjective, everybody likes different things. I would guess Gw2 has more active players. It's been out a while, dropped an expansion, and is wildly popular.

Posted

Better is subjective, everybody likes different things. I would guess Gw2 has more active players. It's been out a while, dropped an expansion, and is wildly popular.

Yea black dexert also was popular at launch

Posted

Better depends on what you're looking for. I had picked up Guild Wars 2 back when it launched, but I spent less time in it than I have in Black Desert.

As for more players, I'm pretty sure Guild Wars 2 would win that one. For example, last year between August-October they picked up 2 million more accounts. That's more than BDO has sold in NA/EU when it was brand new.

Posted

Yea black dexert also was popular at launch

True. I just don't think they are on the same scale as far as popularity goes. Gw2 is a well performing themepark mmo that launched with a great deal of hype and seems to have maintained it's favorable impressions and population. BDO is a korean f2p that exceded expectations but after the dust settled, was really more of a niche game compared to Gw2's mass appeal style.

1 person likes this

Posted

This belongs in off-topic conversations

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I loved the first GW, didn't like the second one.

I still respect ArenaNet more than CowCow though. Shame I just couldn't get into GW2.+

Both games have pros and cons, but I would say if you want OWPVP and a seamless world and some crazy arcane game mechanics, BDO would win. 

Edited by Luciferia
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I came from GW2 after playing it for like 2.5 years or so. I love the game still, but there is nothing more for me to do there. The content is really good, if you are new to the game, you will find A LOT of stuff to do there. You will like UI compared to BDO (imo it is very well done). GW2 is now f2p so you can try :P

Edited by CRYORION

Posted

I loved the first GW, didn't like the second one.

I still respect ArenaNet more than CowCow though. Shame I just couldn't get into GW2.

Right there with you on that. Gw1 was my life back in the day. Gw2 just didn't resonate the same. I also still respect ArenaNet more than any if these f2p hack publishers.

Posted

This also belongs to off-topic conversation, since it doesn't talk about black desert, but rather compares the two.

Now here's my two cent. 

Don't compare them.

Just because they are called MMORPG. They both offer very different features.

If you want to compare BDO with a MMORPG. Do it with ANOTHER sandbox MMORPG.

Compare Black desert online with Archeage. That would make more sense than trying to compare two games in whole universe of difference.

Posted

If you want extreme casual, GW2 is your game.  Everything is super easy to get and a ton of zerg content.  The only restriction to your gear is time-gated mats for Ascended gear.  GW2 is an alright game, wasn't for me though.  I found the very limited skill sets too restricting with cookie cutter builds, and really nothing to work on besides cosmetics once you got your Ascended/Legendary. I view it as the candy crush of MMO's - extremely casual that anyone can mess around in without much effort.   My time with GW2 ended when they wanted $50 for the Heart of Thorns expansion (same price as core game was for a fraction of the content). I dont mind paying for content, but the expansion was not done nor ready. Anet basically wanted money up front for an expansion that they were still working on and would deploy over the coming months/years.  I don't pay for hopes and dreams of what may or may not come. 

Anet is no better or worse than any other developer.  They hide new skins behind cashshop RNG packs, change their minds on things (no stat-based vertical progression, ever - then they add one with Ascended), nerf and buff classes in ways the population hates, deploy content people don't like.  They can also be considered p2w as they have a direct cash to game-currency exchange system (I dont consider it that, but judging from the outcry on these forums about Daums very limited system, most people here would). ArenaNet just has a far more forgiving playerbase.  

Better depends on what you're looking for. I had picked up Guild Wars 2 back when it launched, but I spent less time in it than I have in Black Desert.

As for more players, I'm pretty sure Guild Wars 2 would win that one. For example, last year between August-October they picked up 2 million more accounts. That's more than BDO has sold in NA/EU when it was brand new.

You left out a rather large part of the information you're giving here.  Yes, GW2 picked up a lot of new accounts during that time.  That's also the time they went free-to-play. Of course they had a huge surge in accounts, as any game does, when it goes f2p.  I'd wager a huge portion of those accounts are inactive now or duplicates from existing players.

Posted

I think both have things they do better than the other. In terms of fair criticism, GW2's gold conversion to cash shop currency and vice versa is a way better approach. You can get what you want off the cash shop with in game currency. I only play PvE in BDO. In GW2 I have 2 accounts that both actively play PvP. I'd really like to see a flatter gear curve server in BDO. I think the disparity with gear is the Achilles heel for this game being really popular here in the west. If they had a Single Server that capped Armor and weapons at +15 and jewelry at Tri, it would flourish. As it stands, I am not compelled to put a major time investment into the gear of this game. I invest my time in PvE though; Horse breeding, leveling alts, Trading, and fishing. I would however play PvP in this game on a gear capped server like I mentioned above and I don't think I am alone in that.

BDO has a lot of things that it does better than GW2. I love the open world over the zoned world of GW2. The systems in place in BDO are also way more robust and engaging. I find I like both combat systems a lot. They do things very well in totally different ways that I find engaging. I think BDO would do well to add more cooperative activities like Hunting to the game as well. The boss fights in BDO are not as well done as in GW2. There are some awful bosses in GW2, but there are some really great ones as well. BDO doesnt have a world boss fight in it that I think is very well done at all. GW2 has many excellently designed world bosses.

I find it curious that people can't sell functional items on the marketplace. In GW2, you can convert gold into cash shop currency and buy whatever you want. Also, Costumes in GW2 are account bound and usable on every class with a one time purchase. You buy it once and it unlocks on your whole account and costs half as much. GW2 is way more consumer friendly in regards to its cash shop. 

Posted

Black Desert vs Guild wars 2

Fail thread.

I played both and its like you compare an fps with a super mario. They are both completly different games (gameplaywise).

Posted

You left out a rather large part of the information you're giving here.  Yes, GW2 picked up a lot of new accounts during that time.  That's also the time they went free-to-play. Of course they had a huge surge in accounts, as any game does, when it goes f2p.  I'd wager a huge portion of those accounts are inactive now or duplicates from existing players.

It was also when an expansion dropped.

But I would wager if BDO were to go F2P, we wouldn't see 2million new accounts in the span over 3 months. GW2 has always enjoyed more popularity than BDO (in the West at least).

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

GW2 is a casual game. You can quit at any time and come back and be relevant if you have ascended armor/weapon. They said they will never release a new tier of armor. It has alot of players, but alot of these players just play for a week or two during a content patch and then quit again.

GW2 itself caters to dungeon players, raid players (it has 3 raids now), and ARENA PvP and Warstyle pvp (WvWvW) However, GW2's issue is that it tries to be action combat, but it's really just active combat, and because it tries to do so many things, it doesn't excel at any of them. It's a good themepark though

IIRC FFXIV has 500k players with 200k NA, so GW2 is probably between 100 and 200k NA active

GW2 also had the benefit that GW1 had a massive cult following.

At this point in time black desert needs to atleast release some of the awakenings at the same time, and start server mergers, Keep the game B2P, because honestly B2P keeps bots out (I'm looking at you blade n soul)

Edited by Catclaw

Posted

Black desert needs to go f2p for more players

Posted

Joined Gw2, joined Gw2community for meta events and worldboss, joined PVP leagues with equal ground for equipment, joined WvW for massive zerg fest fun as hel.

10/10 wound continue to join again (and still visiting BDO for more gags).

Posted

Guild Wars 2.

Posted (edited)

Which game is better?

Guildwars 1

no... honest to god... that was the nostalgic wonderment that BDO's open map and exploration reminded me the most of the first few weeks I played it which GW2 did NOT deliver during the Beta I did for that game...  just this punishing unapologetic complexity that felt tough but you could also feel it was fair and not just in Twitch reflex ways.

Now at this point, both GW2 and NA-realease BDO are failures when it comes it come to real Depth.   Which means we have to go even further back in their influence/roots to the DAOC franchise and wait god knows how long to see if any of those people can remember what made games like these great ... and if they can maintain that all the way to End game instead of doing all this Bait & Switch design-shortcuts treadmill garbage we've seen from both Pear Abyss & ArenaNet

Edited by iller
1 person likes this

Posted

It was also when an expansion dropped.

But I would wager if BDO were to go F2P, we wouldn't see 2million new accounts in the span over 3 months. GW2 has always enjoyed more popularity than BDO (in the West at least).

This was smart timing on Anets part - to go f2p at the same time as over-charging for an expansion.  They can leave the huge spikes in account creation ambiguous and attribute it to their expac being that popular should they chose to and no one could know the difference.  

In any case, stating that a game went f2p and had an expac release (which was a broken promise of no expacs), goes hand in hand with stating the figures you did. They didn't get that many new accounts without both of those things happening. 

Posted

I think gw2 has more players but it might not necessarily be better. Just like runescspe  has more players than Gw2 and bdo combined dosent mean much

Posted

Only thing BDO has over GW2 is  graphics, life skills, open world PVP and more action focused combat.

Everything else I think GW2 was a superior product.  It's hard to take BDO PVP seriously when it doesn't even have condi builds and stun breaker on top of the horrible gear scaling. 

I'd probably still be playing GW2 if my server didn't implode on WvW.  The roaming and mass PVP in GW2 has a surprisingly amount of depth.

Posted

Both games are terrible. GW2 has one big advantage - lack of RNG grind. Well it is completely pointless too. But BDO looks better.

Posted

Both games are terrible. GW2 has one big advantage - lack of RNG grind. Well it is completely pointless too. But BDO looks better.

Gw2 has the grind to look good but can't become more powerful

Posted

I play both for different reasons. GW2 has some big issues, particularly in one world pve (wvw).  Balance is bad, no rewards for progression, and the game is totally balanced for their failed esports crap.  When I pissed at GW2 ( within an hour or two) I play BDO.

on the ther hand, the gear grind in GW2 is very low.  You can be ready for open world pvp very quickly.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0