• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

What in god's name is wrong with ship autopathing?

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Who in god's name wrote the code for the ship autopathing? I'm at a loss for words. The game constantly has me doing zig zag patterns throughout the ocean for no good reason of any kind. What's up with this? PLEASE FIX!!!!

2 people like this

Posted

It's lazy coding, you would think this would be a simple fix but if this company has proven anything it's that nothing is simple.

Posted

I must say, I agree! Every time I try to use it, I feel like singing my dad's old favorite sea chanty: "What do we do with a drunken sailor"

Posted

There's no real AI behind the autotracking and it sucks everywhere. The sea is so special because instead of roads there's a grid of waypoints placed all over and it's more annoying when on a boat which takes half a minute to turn around.

Posted

There's no real AI behind the autotracking and it sucks everywhere. The sea is so special because instead of roads there's a grid of waypoints placed all over and it's more annoying when on a boat which takes half a minute to turn around.

If that's really how it works then the fix should be relatively simple. Remove all waypoints except those in the area of obstacles like islands, so you are autopathed around islands while sailing straight across open sea. You might also have to adjust ship maneuverability solely for autopathing mode so you can turn at a waypoint without having to "weave" to make the next one, if it's fairly close. This might be amenable to abuse though, so you'd have to do it carefully.

This would actually make for finer autopathing around islands since with no waypoints in open sea you have more memory available to place them elsewhere.

Posted

Agree. It's bloody annoying. Especially because boats are so slow anyway.

Posted

Just general autopathing is completely horrible. 9/10 times the autopath takes you the longest way around on land; be it on foot or on horse/carriage.

Posted (edited)

I must say, I agree! Every time I try to use it, I feel like singing my dad's old favorite sea chanty: "What do we do with a drunken sailor"

lol my intro hahaha and I know what you mean

Edited by piratebeowolf

Posted

Who in god's name wrote the code for the ship autopathing? I'm at a loss for words. 

It's lazy coding, you would think this would be a simple fix 

There's no real AI behind the autotracking and it sucks everywhere. 

Good, a lot of experts have come together here. Since this is a suggestion thread, can you please explain,  in real or in pseudo-code, how you would solve pathfinding in BDO better without using a navmesh approach?