• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Publisher's reputation salvageable?

86 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

At one point before release Daum was saying all the right things and seemed to have a fairly positive reputation at least as far as mmo publishers go.

I notice now on every video coverage media I have seen released from gamescom their reputation seems to be in the drain.  I wonder if they underestimated what maintaining that reputation means or am I overestimating what it means?  A personal example for me when ArcheAge first came out I really wanted to try the game out but I didn't have a good enough pc at the time.  Later on when I had a PC that could handle it better I never ended up trying the game because there was so much negative word of mouth about the game.  I really think if they had a better rep I would have actually given the game a try.  When I look at all the negative comments on these black desert videos I can imagine this is influencing a good amount of customers that would have otherwise tried their game and may have liked it.

Rather than talking about why they have a bad reputation now (we all know why by now) I am wondering have there been any MMORPG that you guys tried despite hearing lots of bad things?  Are there any BDO players here who tried the game despite hearing bad things?  Generally how important do you think a game/publishers reputation is?

P.S. I have heard Arche Age fairly recently went into an initiative to clean their reputation up I wonder if they were able to make any progress?

Edited by Azta
6.2. Posting Etiquette
2 people like this

Posted

Rather than talking about why they have a bad reputation now (we all know why by now)

All? An opinion statement cannot inherently be all. Personally I believe the initial hype of the game caused people to read too much into their statements and believe things were said that weren't said at all. I also don't understand why this business is being held to this specific standard. Plenty of business evolve on their positions as time progresses. It is natural to have an ever evolving position, everyone changes their mind about some things sooner or later.

12 people like this

Posted

All? An opinion statement cannot inherently be all. Personally I believe the initial hype of the game caused people to read too much into their statements and believe things were said that weren't said at all. I also don't understand why this business is being held to this specific standard. Plenty of business evolve on their positions as time progresses. It is natural to have an ever evolving position, everyone changes their mind about some things sooner or later.

You are right that statement cannot hold up if you take it literally.  Hopefully it will still work for what it was meant to do.

Deserved or undeserved do you think Daum/Kakao reputation is worse now than it was right before release?

Posted (edited)

The game isn't THAT bad, people need to calm the ----- down....

If they go any further into p2w'ish territory though.

RIP.

Edited by Jack Sparrow
2 people like this

Posted

do you think Daum/Kakao reputation is worse now than it was right before release?

In regards to me or others, broadly? For me, my expectation of Kakao/Daum/the publisher was that they publish, update, and support the game, which they continue to do so. As such, their reputation is the same in my book. For others, broadly, I cannot find any data that would allow me to reliably conclude their reputation is ruined or not.

3 people like this

Posted

P.S. I have heard Arche Age fairly recently went into an initiative to clean their reputation up I wonder if they were able to make any progress?

That's a Mission Impossible grade quest, like having Aeria being considered a good publisher. 

Strictly speaking a publisher rep right now isn't important, players have been forced to get accustomed to crappy products and being milked, so are way more forgiving than 10 years ago. So the issue is not just within the publishing companies, but it's within the entire industry. Gaming is evolving, my feeling is it's losing quality day by day and going toward mobile-chaos fragmentation, the issue, sadly, is shared with single player gaming... it's evolution (or involution)'s price.

Regarding BDO: meh, they subtly introduced a door for heavy p2w, then back pedaled (keeping low prices cap) due to community reactions (at least in this, they've been smart enough). With this set-up, even if it's still conceptually a p2w backdoor, it's kinda bearable and to some extent may help game's evolution and health, sometimes a little bit of poison saves lifes. If they keep it this way, in the end it will be a good move.

The game itself is good, once got rid of the "PvP Centered" bullshit, some kids invented because confused by Open World and PvP Centered, and took for what it really is, a 90% PVE Based Open World Grinder, it's pretty good. A bit too heavy on RNG, but does its job. PvP is the real issue thou, too many unbalancies, hidden stats, perplexing mechanics and a sense of "not accomplishing anything when pvping because in the end what matter is right class and high gear", need to be looked into, with a serious rebalance.

IMHO thou some errors tend to be not forgiven, the most prominent being "telling lies", and in before some kid trying to act smart waltz in with literal interpretation of well chosen vague words: don't even try it, words should be contestualized, literal interpretation is just bullcrap to feed a moronical ego.

13 people like this

Posted

The core of the matter is quite simple to be honest: take some time to browse this forum - every category aside from suggestion - and you'll see a huge quantity of cloned threads with tantrums from the release of this game. I'm not talking of 2 threads with the same argument, i'm talking about 10+ threads with fake criticism that hides biased "facts", the mentioned tantrums or "dis geim is ded" illuminati that can't never miss the opportunity to share their wisdom with the world, even if it has been stated 2 mins ago.

If Daum/Kakao reputation is bad, this community has the worst.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Well, first they'll have to stop lying and making the game worse for quick cash.  Not likely to happen.

The publisher's rep is well-deserved.

- Deceitful about p2w from the start.

- People complain it costs more than the game for an outfit- they reduce the price to $1 less than the game

- Took over a month to get pre-order bonuses to people with some people having tickets not looked at for over a month

- Widespread and very embarrassing hacking

- Soft subscription added with no notice

- They stagger awakening releases despite saying they will be all at once, meaning the game will be horribly imbalanced for the next 4 months or so

Guys, the game hasn't even been out that long and they've already screwed up this hard this many times.

You don't recover a rep from that.  Nor should you.

Edited by Hamletswords
5 people like this

Posted

The game isn't THAT bad, people need to calm the ----- down....

If they go any further into p2w'ish territory though.

RIP.

They will. Anyone who believes otherwise i consider naive

Posted

As long as they dont backdown from their words, theyll be good.

The only problem about BDO is the community, the stupid community that is always thinking the game will become worst. The stupid community hobo community that is always gonna be taking about the world is gonna end if BDO does *insert anything here* like literary if BDOs latest patch involved strength training via swimming, someone will say the game will die, and P2W complain or other stupid complain. The paranoid slippery slope tinfoil hat wearing folks of BDO forum is the biggest cancer of the game, and that itself could have been easily dealt with if Kakao listens to this suggestion of mine

well to an extent, it will lessen the cancerous threads in this forum.

The only way for Kakao can salvage its reputation is if they start taking actions more towards the community, and start making more better statements that are impossible to be interpreted even by the simple minded P2W QQers thinking. Thats the only way, and even thats impossible apparently lol. Well, you cant fix stupidity

I just want facts to back up all the stupid claims people are claiming. We talk all day long about the earth being flat, but facts shown, when you go higher off earth youll notice the actual spherical of it. And nothing thats been claimed by the people claiming the game to be P2W has any actual credible facts to support that someone who drops silver in this game will win at all, you cant win an mmo. theres end credits that will show that you beat the game. 

1 person likes this

Posted

games shit, not gonna lie!  

If you don't mind me asking, why are you here if you don't play the game and consider it to be "shit"? :) 

we all know

Please don't try to pass of your own opinions as the community's, you don't speak for me. Otherwise I'll do the same and say that EVERY single member on this forum is playing and enjoying the game. :) 

Posted

If you don't mind me asking, why are you here if you don't play the game and consider it to be "shit"? :) 

Please don't try to pass of your own opinions as the community's, you don't speak for me. Otherwise I'll do the same and say that EVERY single member on this forum is playing and enjoying the game. :) 

People need to know the truth about Kakao and the game.  As long as there are people like you defending the decimation of the game and community for quick cash time and time again, people like me have to log onto the forums and refute you.

We don't enjoy doing this, but you force us to.

4 people like this

Posted

People need to know the truth about Kakao and the game.  As long as there are people like you defending the decimation of the game and community for quick cash time and time again, people like me have to log onto the forums and refute you.

:^(

:^( Really?

There's a thumb of the rule that every players must undergo when playing a MMORPG -

The forum is toxic.

The forum is alway mostly of vocal minority complaining.

The forum, unfortunately, is sometimes biased against developers/and or publishers.

The forum will cherry-pick almost every details, and try to label something bad.

The forum is a forum, in attempt for logical conversation. Instead people constantly vomits insult, and or illogical conclusion.

The forum should suggest that you should cite sources, or suggest from angle that it can be likely.

I'm not white-knighting anyone.

But on topic;

Yes. It is possible for Daum Games [Kakao] to demand utterly from Pearl abyss to implement features to try to negate the pay to win style. The best feature they should do which would dramatically reduce the effect of the 'pay to win' mentality -

Is conversion system. While Kakao already got pearls item sellable so everyone can sell pearl store items on marketplace. They should request the ability to implement conversion in which section of community can be satisfied having not to break out wallet, and rather uses their acquired in-game money to purchase pearl currency to buy costumes, pets, or horses.

The conversion system should elevate depending on how many ingame currency went into the pearl store, equal to how many real world money is going into pearl store. For an example. Every hundred gem. A value of pearls goes up, making it expensive. But if players buy pearl with real world money. The value of pearls would decrease a bit.

Doubts it though. PA is too busy trying to get everyone up to date.

1 person likes this

Posted

Well, first they'll have to stop lying and making the game worse for quick cash.  Not likely to happen.

The publisher's rep is well-deserved.

- People complain it costs more than the game for an outfit- they reduce the price to $1 less than the game

- Took over a month to get pre-order bonuses to people with some people having tickets not looked at for over a month

- They stagger awakening releases despite saying they will be all at once, meaning the game will be horribly imbalanced for the next 4 months or so

Guys, the game hasn't even been out that long and they've already screwed up this hard this many times.

You don't recover a rep from that.  Nor should you.

I was hoping to avoid these type of posts as much as possible.  Not because I think you are wrong but just want to explore a slightly different angle and don't want thread locked either.  Still I know in the end people will post whatever they want.

I am assuming you started the game well before the publishers reputation seemed change so dramatically?

When you try a new mmo do you check online for what others think or just jump in?

Have you ever tried a new game despite hearing a ton of bad things about it when you checked it out online?

Posted

I won't do chargebacks, I won't request a refund but....

if you get on my bad list you will never come out, even if you create the best game that ever was in the galaxy.

My black list consists of

Trion

SOE Daybreak Games

OP Productions LLC

Code}{atch

and the new adition, Daum/Kakao Games and Pearl Abyss 

Ubisoft is really near this black list.

Posted (edited)

I was hoping to avoid these type of posts as much as possible.  Not because I think you are wrong but just want to explore a slightly different angle and don't want thread locked either.  Still I know in the end people will post whatever they want.

I am assuming you started the game well before the publishers reputation seemed change so dramatically?

When you try a new mmo do you check online for what others think or just jump in?

Have you ever tried a new game despite hearing a ton of bad things about it when you checked it out online?

Rep was somewhat bad when I started a couple months after release.  It took me awhile to reconcile the outrageous cash shop model and having to buy pets to simulate an "auto-loot" feature.  Hacking was in full-swing but the game seemed appealing enough to me to at least give it a shot.

Enjoyed the game for about a month or two, and things were looking up when they dealt with the most obvious hacking, until they decided to suddenly drop bombshell after bombshell with almost no community interaction, going back on many things they said they would do:

-soft sub

-p2w

-staggered awakening release

If you're asking whether or not people will still try the game after all this, I'm sure some will, but not nearly as was possible.

WoW: Legion will eat up a lot of MMO players.  BDO had the big benefit of organic hype just because it looks so good and filled a niche many MMORPG players have wanted.  They managed to blow the cache of that hype in a few short months.

Edited by Hamletswords
2 people like this

Posted

I'm looking at the Korean version for the projected changes that the devs are trying to get into that version by the end of the year. If they get it done there within the expected time frame and it works, the game and publisher will do much better here in Na/eu

Posted

Says the guy who still has the NO p2w avatar weeks after the p2w drama is over and far from p2w. p2wastemoneyandbelazy. 

Posted

Says the guy who still has the NO p2w avatar weeks after the p2w drama is over and far from p2w. p2wastemoneyandbelazy. 

Game is p2w and will only get more so as time goes on.

Posted

Game is p2w and will only get more so as time goes on.

lol cute. 

1 person likes this

Posted

lol cute. 

Yeah it's really adorable how they flushed the game down the toilet for quick cash.

Posted

Game's not P2W, they also haven't broken a single promise that they made. 

Cost is relative, stop being poor or stop spending your money if you think things are too expensive. 

They apologised for this and fixed it. Unless you're claiming some gaming companies haven't made mistakes. 

Same as with most major MMOs, has been solved by making CD server sides, banning hackers and going after the hack hosters/creators. 

Plenty of notice, not a subscription, not required top lay the game, given away for 34-97 days for free is available for in game silver.

They never said that awakenings WOULD be released at once but that the PLAN WAS to release them at once. I also like how you can tell that the game will be imbalanced BEFORE the patch has happened. 

they've already screwed up this hard this many times.

So why are you still here then? :) 

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah it's really adorable how they flushed the game down the toilet for quick cash.

It's adorable how you still have fight in you even though your claims along with all the other sheepies who heard an argument and ran with it before knowing the details were dismissed. 

Why are you still here then if everyone has such a monumental advantage over you? 

Go home bandwagon nerd. 

Posted (edited)

It's adorable how you still have fight in you even though your claims along with all the other sheepies who heard an argument and ran with it before knowing the details were dismissed. 

Why are you still here then if everyone has such a monumental advantage over you? 

Go home bandwagon nerd. 

Huh?  I stopped playing the game when it went p2w.  Why would I play a p2w game?  

You can dismiss buying 100m a week as inconsequential (it's not), but you're truly an idiot if you think they'll never raise the price of items in the marketplace.

Edited by Hamletswords

Posted

Huh?  I stopped playing the game when it went p2w.  Why would I play a p2w game?  I'm not an idiot.

You stopped playing the game... but you are still on the forums arguing? 

WoW Legion must be as bad as I imagined. I lost my ti83 calculator so I can't play legion. 

1 person likes this