• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

[POLL]Should character names be unique?

Should character names be unique?   570 votes

1. 1. Should character names be unique?

• Yes, both character and family names should be unique.
    • No, character names should not be unique.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

183 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Some of us were lucky enough to reserve rare family and character names. Some others weren't. Do you guys think that family names should be the only unique portion of your name, or would you rather have both char and fam names be unique?

Example:

Player A wants to be called Nick.

Player B wants to be called Nick as well.

As long as player A and B have different family names (i.e Nick Fury, Nick Cave) both players get to select Nick as their character name.

Unique: 1 per server.

Edited by Zaiton
3 people like this

Posted

Both unique, as it is in the game. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I prefer it to be unique as well. 
What if both players have the same name, like your example, Nick.
And both of them are talkin in chat, i assume u will see Nick and Nick talking. 
So imo, it's better if it's unique. But yeah, sad for the people that didn't got the names they wanted. 

3 people like this

Posted

No they should not. It's a beyond dated format. I do hope they open up Character Names at some point down the line. It's going to be such a PITA trying to make alts without absolutely ridiculous names otherwise.

Posted

YES there's a poll!

Posted

So imo, it's better if it's unique. But yeah, sad for the people that didn't got the names they wanted. 

To be honest, I too want the names to be unique. I just thought of making this thread so people who ask can see what the rest of the community thinks.

2 people like this

Posted

Doesn't matter because the game is designed where character names are how you communicate with people. So it needs to stay unique. They are not going to overhaul the system.

When you whisper/tell someone, you use their character name. Not the family name.

5 people like this

Posted

You can either set it up to show just Family Names in Chat. Or like Champions Online does it. Either Character name or both Character name/Handle. In that game you would often see people with the same character names, wasn't a big deal at all. And everyone was able to make alts and still talk in World Chat with everyone knowing who they were right away. It's just a much better way of doing things. Period.

1 person likes this

Posted

Both should be unique (or I want part of my money back) xD

1 person likes this

Posted

They should be unique.. only familyname would be 0 reason to preorder/reserve at all.. couse familyname doesn't matter that much you know?  + I dont want to see 100 different steves.... though Malik Blishtar would be able to have a stronger army that way :P 

Posted

To be honest, I too want the names to be unique. I just thought of making this thread so people who ask can see what the rest of the community thinks.

Yeah gotcha, u can post whatever u want right, haha.
Hope u got your name though

Posted (edited)

... ...

Edited by Night

Posted

Yeah gotcha, u can post whatever u want right, haha.Hope u got your name though

With an alarm set the day they announced it, you bet I did :)

3 people like this

Posted

The problem with the whole naming system is that the last name has to be unique. If we allowed the first name to be shared by other players, then we could have a scenario where EVERYONE or WHOLE GUILDS of people are called Nick. The only way this system would work is if both first and last name were not unique and just made it so that no single person can have both the same first and last name.

Now, you could argue that alot people could have the same first name if both first and last were to be shared... but the whole point of the family name thing is for immersion. I however don't care for the immersion and would just want the freedom to pick whatever name i want without it being taken by someone else.

Posted (edited)

but the whole point of the family name thing is for immersion.

completely incorrect. Its about keeping tabs on alts and enemies.

It has zero to do with immersion.

Edited by Luciferia

Posted (edited)

completely incorrect. Its about keeping tabs on alts and enemies.

That may be true, i see it as something that was added purely for immersion.

Edit: We simply disagree here. Not a big deal, but I don't see the point in adding in both unique first and last names and integrate its use heavily into the game and go as far as to say the last name is a "family" name. I don't see how you can say it has zero to do with immersion when Family Name itself is linking all your alts together as a family.

It is your opinion though. You are entitled to that.

Edited by Heartnet
Luciferia edited.

Posted

Unique names all the way. I don't want someone else using my character name as their character name too, regardless that the family name is there. But then.... I suppose they could use my character name as their family name so, ugh.

Posted

That may be true, i see it as something that was added purely for immersion.

if that was the case it would be displayed better.

1 person likes this

Posted

If you have a unique character name  then there's absolutely no reason to bother with a family name at all its purely cosmetic at that point.

Posted

I feel bad for those that decide to play after everyone has chosen their character names and created their alts.

Posted (edited)

if that was the case it would be displayed better.

Exactly. You see the Family name first! Cause it's more important than the character name from a gameplay perspective.

If you have a unique character name  then there's absolutely no reason to bother with a family name at all its purely cosmetic at that point.

The family name is so people can't hide behind alts, it has nothing to do with cosmetics. The family name is what you see in your friends lists and guild tabs. When someone kills you or KS you, (you should) take note of the family name. The character name is just flavor.

Edited by Luciferia
1 person likes this

Posted

With a mega server, coming up with character names will be a nightmare especially since we can't have spaces in between. 

Posted

Except famoly names here let's us see a player's alts. Unless of course that person has more than one account.

Posted

I say keep em unique, the game is built around both names being unique.

Posted (edited)

Hmm, I could go both ways on this one i think.

Pros:

• People IRL have the same name often. Would be neat to run into Jack Sparrow and Jack Ass.
  • Means I get to call people who have the same name in the same party "Sparrow" and "Ass".
  • Allows people to have the cool first name they want. IE.... Me. (Nah I still like my secondary first name)
  • Other stuff

Cons:

• Lots of freaking Naruto and Kirito Running around as shonin and shit.(is that how you spell that?)
  • I have to call people by their surname as opposed to their first in parties.
  • Takes away from people being special little unique butterflies.
  • Other stuff.

I mean. I'd go both ways. I'm fine with either. In no case whatsoever should both names not be unique. Surname should be unique in the least.

Edited by War