• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

[POLL]Should character names be unique?

Should character names be unique?   570 votes

1. 1. Should character names be unique?

• Yes, both character and family names should be unique.
    • No, character names should not be unique.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

183 posts in this topic

Posted

There is no need to have a unique character name as everything can resolve around the family name. 

Chat only shows family name. Sending mail/PMs use family name. Have character names as something fun and not important at all. 

Posted

You can easily spend 30min on your character. I'm looking at my girlfriend who has been meticulously working on the looks of her Ranger for the past 40min, some people spend hours on their character.

It's just so sad that after spending so much time sculpting your character you end up having to name it ElleN12 because there are just so few sensible names left.

That is just the hallmark of a bad naming system, and i'd much rather see multiple characters with the same name (just like real life!) than being forced to give one of my characters such an abomination of a name.

4 people like this

Posted

I think family names should be unique, as for character names I'd be fine either way.

Posted

I feel like there was a thread about this a while ago...

Also worth mentioning that the poll results will probably be skewed considering many people probably didn't get the name they wanted today and are a little salty about it.

Posted

You can easily spend 30min on your character. I'm looking at my girlfriend who has been meticulously working on the looks of her Ranger for the past 40min, some people spend hours on their character.

It's just so sad that after spending so much time sculpting your character you end up having to name it ElleN12 because there are just so few sensible names left.

That is just the hallmark of a bad naming system, and i'd much rather see multiple characters with the same name (just like real life!) than being forced to give one of my characters such an abomination of a name.

THIS. ^

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

That is all. Please close the thread. Kkthx:P

Edited by VforValens
1 person likes this

Posted

Well then, if you didn't have both first and last being unique then you'd have to always be shown the characters full name, and also type the full name in order to contact them... not very convenient or functional to be honest... 

Posted

Well then, if you didn't have both first and last being unique then you'd have to always be shown the characters full name, and also type the full name in order to contact them... not very convenient or functional to be honest... 

Yeah this system is in FF14 and I hated it. 

If you spent 30-40 mins making a character you can spend just as long coming up with something better than Elleen12..

This isn't like Scandia on Maplestory or something man. You aint gonna get Pikachu at this point, but I'm sure you can find something good if you try.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

If you have both names unique you might as well get rid of one of the names as it's redundant. I would rather have a unique combination with only my family name being unique. As far as the chat goes they could just make it so your family name is always shown. This would eliminate many problems not only with the concept, but even in the game as it is. If I were to switch a character it would be a lot easier to just have it say the same name which would be my family name. With the way the game is setup it would make logical sense that your only name that should matter is your family name as it's even displayed in game. 

So why did they make both names unique? I have no idea as it seems more troublesome than anything. The only reason I care is that it publicly shows my family name above my head as well as my characters name. I understand why they have the family names on display, but what I don't understand is why they structured it the way they did. 

Edited by Rogash
1 person likes this

Posted

its too late now.

Posted

too late now

Posted

too late now

its too late now.

I'd appreciate it if you could refrain from trolling in this post.

2 people like this

Posted

Is it that really hard for people to come up with new names without resorting to things like JohN34 and Mandy09878? You guys can do better than that. 

Posted

Is it that really hard for people to come up with new names without resorting to things like JohN34 and Mandy09878? You guys can do better than that. 

Well yeah but you can always do some mixing and get a cool username (or at least something you like). For instance, Zaiton is a mixture of my roleplaying last name and my real life last name.

(Wtf am I doing im supposed to be studying for midterm biology exam)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well yeah but you can always do some mixing and get a cool username (or at least something you like). For instance, Zaiton is a mixture of my roleplaying last name and my real life last name.

(Wtf am I doing im supposed to be studying for midterm biology exam)

Yes exactly. However some people seem to think this is not an option for them.

Edited by mythiclight

Posted

I do not believe that character names should be unique, solely the family name has to be restricted to a player so it won't defeat the purpose of the name reservation pre-order packages and all.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'd appreciate it if you could refrain from trolling in this post.

i'd appreciate it if you didn't confuse a fact with trolling.

Posted

I like what blizzard does with usernames. :) Today was frustrating since the reservation page kept on crashing. I was here right as reservation page opens and I couldn't reserve anything until everything I want was gone. 

Posted

i'd appreciate it if you didn't confuse a fact with trolling.

What exactly is a fact? That the game has not even been released yet and people are conversing on what naming system it's going to follow? You need to double check your definitions of "fact". I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a difference in name formations even a year from now. Guess you're new to MMOs.

2 people like this

Posted

I prefer unique names, it kills a ton of confusion.

Posted

completely incorrect. Its about keeping tabs on alts and enemies.

It has zero to do with immersion.

Technically that's just a different kind of immersion, yes?

Posted

What exactly is a fact? That the game has not even been released yet and people are conversing on what naming system it's going to follow? You need to double check your definitions of "fact". I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a difference in name formations even a year from now. Guess you're new to MMOs.

They just had a reserve your name event, and changing the system would invalidate that whole process.

Guess you are knew to marketing and customer satisfaction.

Any sort of name change system should of been handled before such an event.

And considering they have been using the current naming set up for years already, your little discussion thread is not going to prompt change, this is not the first time it has been brought up or brought to the devs attention.

It is a fact it is too late.

Posted (edited)

It's not whether it's hard.

Not everybody wants a made-up "fantasy" word as a name. (can't stand them, personally.)

Some people prefer classic/archetypal names and don't care whether they're original.

(Sarah, James, Ninja, Shadow, etc.)

Some people may like mishmashing 2 common words. Some may hate that, and want a pure classic title like those above.

(WarriorBoss, BigJake, Leslie_Fire, etc.)

Obviously, reservation rush is largely about securing popular (well known) names. I don't imagine there's a rush to steal "Galadoriarius". It's super random and meaningless. No one is likely to even guess it for years. A random "fantasy" name probably won't get sniped, unless it's already on the internet. (And that could just be out of sheer trolling, spite, revenge or laziness.)

It's fine if you prefer made-up "original" names, or don't care much about names vs gameplay.

Not everyone is like that though. Different preferences and priorities.

Note: Don't want to argue about it. Just pointing out why.

Edited by Someone Else
Paragraph added. Corrected "classical" to "classic". Changed "do not" to "don't", for easier reading..

Posted (edited)

Main feature of this game is uniqueness of character in name and appearance.

If this feature was so undesirable, there would have been multiple threads dedicated to this issue. Can you find such threads made 1 week+ ago? It is difficult, if they even exist. 
Generally, very few cared about these names being unique.
Now, its a problem because they didn't get their 1st choice. 
How selfish. 

I sympathize with those people who from the very beginning thought this unique name feature was problematic. Thus, they did SOMETHING. They made threads, try to petition, etc.
But those who stayed silent and did not act, and only began complaining about DAUM after they didn't get their 1st choice,
yea.. no. grow up please.
You knew full well what you were getting into for weeks and months. 
I'm willing to bet these guys wouldn't be complaining if they did get their first choice. 

Edited by α
1 person likes this

Posted

They just had a reserve your name event, and changing the system would invalidate that whole process.

Guess you are knew to marketing and customer satisfaction.

Any sort of name change system should of been handled before such an event.

And considering they have been using the current naming set up for years already, your little discussion thread is not going to prompt change, this is not the first time it has been brought up or brought to the devs attention.

It is a fact it is too late.

"For years" all of which were spent in alpha and beta tests. 

It's got nothing to do with marketing and customer satisfaction. You tried to make a good comeback but you failed gloriously.

Making only fam names unique automatically gives some merit to the process. Also, if you look at the poll, it's about 50/40. If you consider that from that 50% some don't even give a shit about their char names being unique (like me and others) then you've got a pretty good 50-50 in your hands to play with. Meaning that if they do implement the idea of unique fam names only, they'll end up with the same number of dissatisfied customers. It's a slippery slope and either way someone is going to be dissatisfied. 

Now that we got this out of the way, let's stop spamming the thread with meaningless replies. Say what you have to say but put a final period at the end.

2 people like this