• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Soon to be adventurer(?) how is the non-paying convenience?

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello folks,

I've been looking up gameplay videos of this game and I really think it is amazing so far. I have never played this game before but I really want to.

The only thing that concerns me are the videos of TheLazyPeon saying that the game is very pay2win.

I am not planning to spend more money then the initial amount, since I really cannot afford to, I am a poor student.

What I am asking is, if I would spend 30 euros on this game, can I play the game comfortably without having to spend more? How limited are players, for example, character creation slots and inventory slots etc. Do you have as much of them as you are supposed to have? Or will you feel uncomfortable when you don't buy extra slots.

I get that the game is pay for convenience, but that doesn't mean that the game has to be unconvenient if you're not greedy (with this I mean, I am able to be happy with what I have), is it acceptable what the game gives you?

I just really want to know that if I spend the money to buy this game, that I won't get a stick rammed up my behind later on in the game.

I'd like to hear all opinions and arguments, as long as it is not arguments fired like a unguided missile.

Edited by Alamnor

Posted

Basically the cash shop and game design is very much in the vein of SWTOR and EQ2's F2P conversions.  By that I mean many features people would want as baseline game features have been moved to the cash shop.

The prime example are pets and looting.  BDO as a game is designed where to level you do AOE grinding.  Most games would support AOE grinding with an AOE looting feature.  However BDO doesn't support it at all and instead offers you a cash shop solution by being able to not only buy pets, but also improve said pets to loot faster and such.  You see this in other game areas as well, such as the ability to buy various costumes, weight increases, storage expanders, etc.  Could you just pay 30 euros and be fine playing it?  Sure, but you're going to definitely notice the kinds of features they left out.

Now, as for the selling the cash shop items on the auction house bit, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be.  People like TheLazyPeon are basically pandering to outrage on the topic in order to drive views, likes and subscribes.  For one, most high end players are in all TRI (+18) gear.  In order to get better than them you'd need TET (+19) gear which high end TET gear costs around 1.5 billion to make due to the RNG of upgrading (you have to plan for failures).  What that means is with 5 item limit a person buying TET gear purely from the cash shop would get an item every 4 months at the cost of roughly $2000.  To get a full set of gear they'd need to wait 3 years and spend around $27000.  The number of people who are realistically going to do that are so tiny that it's not even worth considering.

But here's the thing, in BDO, you have to grind.  Like, it's not optional if you want to get up there and be competitive.  Going from 56 to 57 takes around 20 hours.  Going 57 to 58 takes around 50 hours.  Going 58 to 59 is another 100 hours.  As more and more Awakenings get released, these levels are crucial and in some ways will give you advantages due to the high damage %'s on Awakening skills even over gear in some cases.  So someone who pays isn't going to not be out there grinding because they won't advance their character all.  So in the end everyone has to grind anyways so it doesn't make any sense to pay all that money to get ahead when you're going to be grinding.  This is the actual reason why a lot of people quit, because they were staring down the barrel of a super long grind they weren't interested in and just took the P2W issue to eject out.

So really your main concerns at this stage should really be about whether or not you want to play a game that's removed a lot of features and put them for sale in the cash shop, are you willing to live without said features (which is 100% possible, especially with player's ability to sell items in the cash shop to you).  Also are you willing to put in the grind time, because the grind is pretty soul crushing when you get down to it.  There's a lot of depth to the game and it's a lot of fun.  There's really no half assed system in the game, it's all a huge thing, and once you put the puzzle together and figure out the game it's incredibly enjoyable and deep (something you don't see in games today).

4 people like this

Posted

Thanks for the long and detailled answer.

I do not mind grinding at all, it is actually something I am looking for. When I have some time off I just want to disconnect myself from the world and do my own thing, while doing this thing I want to enjoy it. BDO really seems like a game which is able to offer me just that.

I will not have shittons of time but grinding is something you process on, as long as that process is managable at a slow pace (since I don't really have that much time), then I will have no problems with it.

Regarding the community, I have heard this game has one of the best communities, I really hope to be able to enjoy this game with others, but I'm sure this is something that is always possible, depending on what kind of person you are.

For now, I'm going to enjoy the guest pass I just claimed, from there on I will judge the game a little and see how I like it.

Posted

Regarding the community, I have heard this game has one of the best communities, I really hope to be able to enjoy this game with others, but I'm sure this is something that is always possible, depending on what kind of person you are.

Just exclude the forum community in that. Lot of grumpy ppl on the forums.

3 people like this

Posted

You can function just fine in game without having to spend a lot in the cash shop. People here whine just to whine and then whine some more. They make things out to be worse than they are. Ignore all that and you should be just fine.

The only problems I see with the game are the endless bugs that never get fixed. They push new content constantly and dont fix what is already there. Other than that it is great and lots of fun.

Posted

you can get pets off the market place, a costume for the exp boost, and value packs to have the better marketplace tax. the game is purely play to win and if you think its at all pay to win your just lazy. plain and simple. (first time i wanted to buy a value pack i got it its not that hard @people complaining about snipers) at most you may have to buy pets because they arent put on the market with the bad money to silver ratio. at the most this game is a $60 game if u buy $30 pack with $30 of pets.(dont mention the fact that they have had 2 free pet events already)

Posted

you can get pets off the market place, a costume for the exp boost, and value packs to have the better marketplace tax. the game is purely play to win and if you think its at all pay to win your just lazy. plain and simple. (first time i wanted to buy a value pack i got it its not that hard @people complaining about snipers) at most you may have to buy pets because they arent put on the market with the bad money to silver ratio. at the most this game is a $60 game if u buy $30 pack with $30 of pets.(dont mention the fact that they have had 2 free pet events already)

Free pet events??

Posted

yea they had log in events where the final reward was a pet the first one i didnt receive unfortunately because i was not playing as often at the time but the second one i got the penguin.

Posted

^^^^
Some of the friendliest people I've met have been within this game.

Posted

Free pet events??

Penguin for example. Login 14 days in a row, collect an item everyday, combine em and get a pet. Just as an example. 

But those kind of events don't happen that often. 

You can buy everything you need to play comfortably from the ingame silver market. Pets, costume, value pack. Nothing else is really needed. 

Except maybe weight increase. But you can get a couple just from login in for some time

Posted

Penguin for example. Login 14 days in a row, collect an item everyday, combine em and get a pet. Just as an example. 

But those kind of events don't happen that often. 

You can buy everything you need to play comfortably from the ingame silver market. Pets, costume, value pack. Nothing else is really needed. 

Except maybe weight increase. But you can get a couple just from login in for some time

I'm on Uno, and there are no pets on the MP.

Posted

I'm on Uno, and there are no pets on the MP.

Yea, it's hard to get them. Same on Jordine. But the potential is there

Posted

NO it's not P2W. Yes there's a way for you to use real money to get in game silver, but it has a limit. And the most you can get is 85 mil a week. I can make 400 mil easy a week by just playing the game. 

Posted (edited)

I do not mind grinding at all...

this is why it isn't p2w because everything in game is accessible via grinding, even pets via marketplace! (i had to BUY mine qq)

ps. no more lazy peon

Edited by Desu

Posted

Dude the games awesome, totally worth its money. I love mmos.

I used to play Perfect World, Archeage, Diablo and Path of Exile as well and this is like one of the best.
It's gonna suck you in and keep you busy for real.

I'd offer a guest pass for you to try it out, they sent us all 3 passes each with todays update but honestly? just straight buy it if you have the money, 30 bucks version is good.
I'm pretty sure youre gonna love it.

Been playing for a month now and my PC doesnt get any rest no more haha

Posted

For now, I'm going to enjoy the guest pass I just claimed, from there on I will judge the game a little and see how I like it.

that is the smart thing to do.

I'll add my vice saying that it is plenty fun as a casual player. i got sucked into the lifeskills side of the game, and dont even care about gear or class balance because it doesn't matter to me. there is a whole huge part of the game where you dont need gear at all. some people only play to raise horses, for example.

Posted

What the fk do you mean grumpy? who the fk are you to ffking say I'm grumpy? don't freaking judge me!

LOL I'm jking!!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Definitely playable without spending a dime but remember they depend on that to pay the bills so even a little shows your appreciation for their game.

Most of the CS is eye candy but there are a few good items in there that make things easier but are in no way necessary.

Edited by MotherPeace

Posted

I have been playing for a month. I can say that it is 'pay for convenience' NOT pay to win in my opinion. I played just fine for a Month without Pets, Inventory slot upgrades or Weight upgrades (that is really all that matters in the PearlShop IMO, maybe weapon skins for the small bonuses). I just set a Macro on my mouse to loot super fast, faster then three 'Tier 1 lvl 1' pets actually. It's the Weight limitation IMO that is most annoying.

But they do give you quests in game to increase Inventory and Weight. 

In the end we don't pay a Sub, the Game has a base price of $30. So I did not mind spending another $60 on stuff to make my playtime more efficient. 4 month wow Sub equals what I spent roughly.