• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

General game questions

11 posts in this topic

Posted

First this is not a troll post. I just started the game this morning and have some questions before investing a lot of time.

Number one is do the graphics improve once you leave the starting / tutorial area? I have seen that to be the case in many games. The graphics where I am up to about level 10 (klling wolves atm)  are really not very good and / or current. I am running a GTX980 on high settings. 

Number two, does the game always guide you directly from one quest to the next with arrows and beacons or does it become more challenging and less linear?

Appreciate your responses. 

Posted

Not sure I understand what you mean the graphics are not very good... you will need to include a screenshot.

Once you get through up to Velia/Heidel you will notice it will become very open world.  The Black spirit quests will guide you to main quests.  Your Quest log will have a tab that can guide you to specific quests (black spirit, inventory increase quests, etc..)

Posted

I notice as well that file explorer reports the program size as only 0.99 gb but when it started download I thought it was like 36gb. Any idea why that is? If it matters I am using a guest pass......

Posted (edited)

I am running a GTX 970 @ 1440p at 45 to 60fps at all times, so you should do just fine; though this is a MMO and it may be more reliant on CPU. I have an i7 4790K. However, it does take some tweaking and is well worth as BDO is by far the prettiest MMO out there and is probably in the top 10 in graphic fidelity for even single player games. Witcher 3 is the only game I have seen with better graphics; and even with that said, BDO has far superior gameplay and game world variety. Once you get out of the first town you will see the game world open up. I mean this game is simply a graphical stunner. Here are some suggestions:

Reduce the AA, depth of field, blurring, SSAO etc. bars to zero (though some people report no gain in setting AA to zero, so your mileage will vary).

Play around with texture quality. I have mine to set to high, but you may be able to squeeze out more FPS.

OC-ing my GPU does get me a few frames, so play around with that as well. It will drive up temperature big time, so watch that carefully.

Play around with the plethora of filters that make the game look best for you. There is a "vibrant" setting and that could be too much glare for some players.

As far as questing, make sure you do as many as you can for contribution points. They rarely give you experience for leveling, though, which is what you generally get for grinding out mobs. Because the combat is so damn good in this game, I don't find grinding mobs a chore unless it's some animal mob where I am gathering meat for cooking.

I will leave you with this: BDO is a very complex and comprehensive MMO gaming experience. It has a steep learning curve and is not for the player looking for another thempark WoW/FF14 experience. I loved both of those games, but BDO is an entirely different kind of game. Once you get in the groove if you are willing to invest the time, it is well worth it. I highly recommend joining a casual guild with experienced players who are patient enough to answer all your questions; and believe me you will have many.

Edited by acangial

Posted

Thank you all for your feedback and not flaming my questions. I did find that the game for some reason was defaulting to really low settings. Have it looking much nicer now. I am curious though why the folder reports game size as only 0.99gb? Is it because it only downloads a portion for guest pass maybe?

As far as the game being in depth sounds good. I am looking for an mmo where I can largely solo and do not feel rushed to level level level with some nice immersion. 

I took a break from the plethora of MMO's I have played (dating back to the original EQ) and played some offline RPG's. Most recently Dragon Dogma Dark Arisen which I enjoyed immensely. 

Posted

Thank you all for your feedback and not flaming my questions. I did find that the game for some reason was defaulting to really low settings. Have it looking much nicer now. I am curious though why the folder reports game size as only 0.99gb? Is it because it only downloads a portion for guest pass maybe?

As far as the game being in depth sounds good. I am looking for an mmo where I can largely solo and do not feel rushed to level level level with some nice immersion. 

I took a break from the plethora of MMO's I have played (dating back to the original EQ) and played some offline RPG's. Most recently Dragon Dogma Dark Arisen which I enjoyed immensely. 

If you like Dragon's Dogma then chances are you will love BDO. It is like a single player MMO if you don't PvP. The PvE guild quests are fun, though, and friendly chatting on Discord with guildies is rewarding as well. Good luck.

Posted

Their are two buttons you can click that can guide you for quests. You don't have to use them. Their are also quests with no guides at all. No the game doesn't show you to your next quest aside from the spirit quests that gradually make you go to the next town where you see a bunch of other quests. You can stumble onto an npc with a quest in a forest or on top of a mountain and such

Posted

The graphical settings require some tweaking. There was a thread a while back about going into your settings file to remove the forced sharpness, for example.

I've also found I have to play in Windowed mode if I don't want to play fullscreen, because Windowed Fullscreen will actually reset my TVs resolution.

In the Game options you can set your quest marker to "none" and that will only have a small arrow pointing you in the general direction of your chosen quest.  Once you are out of the starting area, you will start picking up multiple quests at a time (if you wish, of course), and then you get to pick what you want to do next.

Posted

Thanks again all, seems like a great mmo community. I appreciate the answers and Ill certainly give it a go. I have heard its very much like Dogma and that its very immersive as well. all good things

Posted

Thanks again all, seems like a great mmo community. I appreciate the answers and Ill certainly give it a go. I have heard its very much like Dogma and that its very immersive as well. all good things

It's a sandbox MMO so don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  Have fun out there! :)

Posted

This should do it for you then. I will probably get flamed for this but I'm mostly a PVE player and this game, believe it or not, seems mostly designed with the solo player in mind ( no Player to player trading, etc. ). There is SO much to do in BDO. My wife and I have played every day since before launch and we don't even have a level 55 characters yet. However, it is easily possible to get there within a day if you rush. We, like you, prefer to enjoy everything the game has to offer. We do have 11 alt characters between 30 and 50 though for the energy they all provide. Above level 45, you'll be in PvP and can be PK'ed. But don't worry too much because people are "mostly" nice. lol

You'll find your niche in the game. You can Fish, Tame and breed horses, cook, craft, do Alchemy, harvest, Farm, and much more to keep you busy.  

Best advise for you're style of play ( sounds like mine ) is to take your time and try everything BDO has to offer. THEN decide how deep you want to go in whatever you choose. Another piece of advise that I wish I had when I started is MAKE MONEY! You will need lots of it so find things to do to make it starting early in the game. I suggest fishing and selling it to the trader just starting out.

You'll get the hang of it.

Enjoy! And welcome to BDO.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0