• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

For anyone thinking about buying the game or recently started.

56 posts in this topic

Posted

Good post. 

Here comes the legions of Negative Nancies, never change BDO forums.

Posted

This is my favorite mmo I've ever played, P2W is almost not noticeable at all, if anything it lets you get cash shop fashion for in game money :D Couldn't recommend this game more~

Posted

Hi Everyone!

I'd like to give my honest opinion to all new potential buyers or people who have recently purchased the game. (I know many won't care and troll this post but please leave it for the newbies to read.)

Introduction and who am I?

Not that this is really Important but I'd like to take a moment to explain about myself that way maybe you can relate. I am Tekeii I'm a soon to be level 58 Sorc have a full time job, fiancé and very limited game play and I have been playing since launch. I'm the guild leader of Morghulis. We are an extra large guild on the Jordine server whilst we are not hardcore we are doing very well for ourselves. However a big part of our success is down to "guild merges" this comes from when either the guild leader gets tired of the game or the guilds are struggling to recruit and find potential members to become active enough. Whilst this is great for us it is very upsetting to see some really big guilds die out and make even less competition in the long run. The purpose of this post is to dissuade rumours about the game and encourage more people to give the game a try and enjoy every aspect the game has to offer, including node and siege wars.

Let's get on with it.

So you are seeing these videos on YouTube of BDO, it looks beautiful the combat style looks amazing and the life skills look incredibly fun. Well I can say first hand this is all true, (whilst there is a big issue with the colour "white" for some reason on dyes the game is still beautiful). There is no other MMO with a combat style quite like this, it is incredibly fun and fast paced, it can get a irritating when you just can't get that knockdown on an enemy player because of them resisting it however it can work out in your favour too! If you are not into combat and like the general life skills then depending on what you would want to do you could log on and spend hours just doing life skills! Things like Fishing has it's own mini-game you can play but the special thing about this game is that if you are busy and have limited game play when you are not present at your computer you can still do most things whilst AFK, which is amazing! (I don't do any life skills so I'm generally not the best person to talk about this, but plenty of people in the guild are and they love it.)

You want to PvP, but you feel like people have already had a 6 month head start and it is incredibly hard to catch up. I'm not going to lie if PvP is your goal then you are going to have some work cut out for you. In this game Gear>Level>Skill but Kakao are implementing catch up mechanics which imo is very good. There are always people who are going to be able to kill you just don't get frustrated with it, for every asshat on the server there will always be a nice person willing to help you and show you a few things. Gearing is tough you spend a lot of time grinding mobs to get accessories which you smash together (To improve the gear you have to get 2 of them and "enchant them" it smashes the 2 items together if it succeeds you get a better version of the item, if it fails you lose both pieces. This can be very disheartening). I recently tried to make a PRI: Crescent Ring and a DUO: Basilisk belt, both failed and cost me 100's of millions and a few days work. However I also succeeded a lot of other things which also helps ease the pain. My advice would be just stick at it. Don't smash things you can't afford and be responsible that way you can consistently upgrade your gear and if you are just dam unlucky save up the silver and buy the items from the marketplace.

PvP combat is fun, and is probably some of the best PvP I've had in MMO's for quite a while. There is nothing better than going to a grind spot with the intention to grind for hours until some other guild turns up and decides they want to try and take the spot. Whilst this can be frustrating because you have planned to grind these are some of the best wars you will ever have. You will need to learn your class I advise going to Heidel Arena, there are always people there willing to help you if they are not busy. Just do not interrupt someone else's fight! 9/10 of the times you will get destroyed because of your gear or level you are going to need to be at least level 56 to be average with a combined ap/dp of 380. But nothing stops you training if you are lower, I advise going on youtube and looking at some combo videos there is a lot about your class the game doesn't teach you. You should get some understanding of your class before asking other people though otherwise they will probably get frustrated when you ask "How do I Block again?".

You have joined a guild, you have average gear and average level. You did it in a week that "Tekeii" guy from the forums was right! it wasn't that bad at all! You have just seen your guild leader post an announcement saying you are going for a Tier 1 node tomorrow! Exciting times! How do you prepare? Ask your guild leader or officer what group you are going to be in that way you can co-ordinate with your party what elixirs you need to bring, you are going to want some silver in the nearest town at the node you are going for as you are probably going to die a lot and you need to repair and recover your horse! After a couple of hours your guild manages to destroy their fort and you have won the node, your guild leader collects the tax and your guild gets 15million silver from the node! Every time you open the map and see your guild own a node it's an amazing feeling that all this work you have put into the game is paying off!

Like I said before I have a full time job and fiancé, some of my officers have children but this doesn't stop us being competitive you don't need to be playing 10 hours a day to be amazing at the game, only 1-2 weekdays and maybe a few more on the weekend if you manage your time effectively in the game you will be surprised how fast you can progress, you are never going to catch up with the top 2% in the game as they are the people who play 10-12 hours a day but don't let that frustrate you. Stay in a guild that suits you and you will enjoy it more, if a "big" guild comes to take "your" spot fight them back, if you can't win don't Karma bomb them by keep running at them this will most likely get your guild declared on and cause your other members issues at world bosses. Just change channel or find another spot and accept defeat. I know it's hard to do but there will be a time when you are the stronger person and they karma grief you. You will understand how horrible it is.

Issues with the game

• Lag is a problem at the moment
  • Low FPS on world bosses which causes deaths
  • Desync (knock somebody down and they teleport 5 yards away so you miss your crit)
  • Awakenings being released at different times meaning some classes are just too strong atm

"P2W" deserves it's own paragraph, when Kakao announced they were changing it so you could sell pearl shop items on the marketplace, I was one of the biggest anti-p2w protesters even requesting a chargeback on my PayPal as I had quit the game. As much as Kakao have lied and betrayed the community as of right now it isn't "that bad" whilst I still disagree with it, they are managing it pretty well and if it stays like it is currently I will be playing this game for many years to come.

The community is only toxic on these forums, there are so many horrible people on here that just do it for attention most people in game are actually ok. Even most people from the "big scary" guilds. As mentioned before most people will actually help you.

TL;DR? Buy the game, play at your own pace, don't get frustrated and enjoy it.

I would like to apologise in advance for the formatting, writing and pretty much everything else in this "review" I kept coming back to it over a couple of hours so it is all over the place.

Thanks!
Tekeii

I am the official first poster of the forum ( 5nov 2015 )
and I approve of this message 
could we get a stickied please.  @Dim

-Sizer

1 person likes this

Posted

+1 Tekeii, good work. :) 

OuO OMG I love you Caramel <3 Happy to see you still around! :3

In response to the post: If I just started playing, this post would definitely help keep my spirits high. This game is incredibly complex, and in the beginning is total sensory overload. Once you wander around aimlessly for a few weeks, you will get the hang of it as long as you're trying. Another thing I would add, regardless of if you want to PvP or just Lifeskill it up, GET TO UNDERSTAND THE WORKER SYSTEM ASAP. The quicker you get the hang of them, your life will become that much easier. Trust. Excellent summary of the game though! (As someone who was also heavily against P2W, Kakao is managing it pretty well.) Hopefully we just don't get much more that is like Artisan's Memories for pearls. >.> I just sincerely hope Kakao doesn't have anything else up their sleeves, PLEASE BE HONEST WITH US ABOUT THINGS!! :D For those who are on the fence, this game is not actually by definition P2W- Just follows the same trend it has had since head start of paying for really nice conveniences. Great post though! Good luck on your enchants, everyone!!~

Not the case anymore, as they clearly pointed out that from now own you won't be able to use multiple event pets at once :)

They just said the penguins can't both be out at the same time. Doesn't change the fact you can camp the marketplace to snag some pets, wait for them to put cash shop pets on sale, or be patient and passively get them from events. Hell, I've been playing since headstart and even to this day with a T4, and 3 T3 pets, I'm still finding myself stopping incredibly often to pick up loot anyways. Yes, the pets help us grinding at pirates, sausans and anywhere in Valencia.. but for newcomers it isn't gamebreaking if you don't have them. To each his own, I suppose.

Posted

i would wait few weeks, giving sale for the game with an actual package that should be available from very beginning (just a game, no bonuses) reminds me of campains of few other b2p games. and those campains were hold right before game went free2play. i wouldn't be surprised if that happened here

It was many sales and an expansion release before Guild Wars 2's base game went f2p. The Old Republic while a f2p game is more of an extended trial.

Posted

sorry but this part isn't true at all, skill>gear>level, to an extent, the gear curve reaches a point where skill will start to take its toll, of course if you put a full tri boss armor vs a full +10 armor player with no accuracy whatsoever he's gonna get wrecked, but for example Oneuproad is a prime example of this, he's heavily undergeared and still performing exceptionally well vs players A LOT more geared than him

shit even sometimes in arena when im dueling someone with 160-170 ap sometimes i take off all of my gear except my liverto and scythe and still beat them at 120 sheet ap, gear is overrated

yes it is level > class > gear > skillskill where gear and skill are interchangale depends how big the gear gap is

Posted (edited)

Tekeii is a very positive guy, always trying to help whenever he is available and always looking at the bright side of things
Though as someone already said, kakao constantly trying to milk the player base as much as they can. 

Some stuff like pets, weight limit, inventory space, value packs, costumes, outfits are mandatory if someone wants to actually enjoy the game. You gonna spend a minimum of 100-150euros, apart from the game purchase.
In the beggining you may feel you don't need to buy everything from the cash shop i mentioned above,or even nothing, but as the time passes you can't resist for the sake of your personal enjoyment. No one forces you i know, but it's how the human mind works, especially if you're a gamer. For example every class looks like a potato without an outfit.

And no, if you're a new player you won't be able to throw away some millions to buy value packs and outfits or pets from marketplace, since if you start the game now you need every single silver to catch up the rest. Unless you're so patient to wait months over months in order to actually start enjoying the game. 

Everything said above is just to cover both sides of good & bad things has to offer, and ofc i didn't mention all the "bad" things,i would need few pages for that.

One thing is for sure, the game is one of the best looking games with the best combat system i've ever seen in a an MMO and worths a try from a new player, you can decide later if you like it or not.

Edited by Stilgar
1 person likes this

Posted

Time for you to come back despite your acc got milked but just do it.

Posted

Time for you to come back despite your acc got milked but just do it.

the stilgar starter pack comes with a +5 bares staff ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

2 people like this

Posted

How nice of you, +5 staff here you go Stig, Glish nagas won't escape your justice :)

Posted

you forgot about the OP bares accessories :ph34r:

Posted

OuO OMG I love you Caramel <3 Happy to see you still around! :3

I love you too! :) I will most likely always be around. 

1 person likes this

Posted

@Tekeii

Nice post man!

Posted

@

Good post. 

Here comes the legions of Negative Nancies, never change BDO forums.

Yep - amazing how the original post was a really well thought out helpful and positive post, and the first few replies were positive and grateful and then it descends into this negative complaining about everything.  Honestly don't understand why you keyboard warriors who seem to be so clearly disappointed still play?

There are other games kiddies.

Posted

I like how you can purchase & earn all these extra inventory slots by doing quests....and I also love how if you don't have a value pack then your #@#ed. Let's give them extra inventory spots so that they need to buy increase weight & the value pack! muahhaha genius marketing!

Posted

I love you too! :) I will most likely always be around. 

Petition to keep Caramel around forever! :D

Posted

Petition to keep Caramel around forever! :D

I have a good feeling I will be around for a very long time... we shall find out in several days. ;) 

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I have a good feeling I will be around for a very long time... we shall find out in several days. ;) 

If you need the community to vote to keep you because ots some kind of probation period or whatnot, just ask. I'm pretty sure plenty of people will step up for you.

Edited by GavinRuneblade
1 person likes this

Posted

If you need the community to vote to keep you because ots some kind of probation period or whatnot, just ask. I'm pretty sure plenty of people will step up for you.

haha no! I am staying! I am aiming for something more though. :) 

1 person likes this

Posted

haha no! I am staying! I am aiming for something more though. :) 

ooh aiming for a promotion? Good luck!

2 people like this

Posted

hmm find out in several days eh.  And Tytes is leaving.....sounds like you applied for a promotion :D

Good luck!  Would love to see you get promoted ^.^  Feel free to delete this if it causes too much false speculation ;p

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

hmm find out in several days eh.  And Tytes is leaving.....sounds like you applied for a promotion :D

Good luck!  Would love to see you get promoted ^.^  Feel free to delete this if it causes too much false speculation ;p

Yes that is false speculation and just coincidental to what I said. I will remain a GM but I aim to live in Europe because it is beautiful! haha rather be in EU office instead of NA and explore the world. :P Wouldn't you? So I'll find out whether in I can transfer or not in several days. ^_^ 

Edited by GM_Caramel
don't know why I put "in" hue hue
1 person likes this

Posted

Depends on what part of Europe to some extent.

I lived near Courchevel France for a year when i was a kid. And have visited much of Spain, England, and Scottland. Living rather than visiting is nicer because you get to know the area better, get to know the people, and actually spend time rather than just pass through.

Posted

Yes that is false speculation and just coincidental to what I said. I will remain a GM but I aim to live in Europe because it is beautiful! haha rather be in EU office instead of NA and explore the world. :P Wouldn't you? So I'll find out whether in I can transfer or not in several days. ^_^ 

Damn, I guess this means I can't recruit you to Vault111. And I'd rather be in any place with awesome fresh fruit all year round!

Posted

Damn, I guess this means I can't recruit you to Vault111. And I'd rather be in any place with awesome fresh fruit all year round!

So California? It is the land of fruits and nuts. The food is good too. ~.^