• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Pop in and Draw Distance

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Love BDO to death, besides the gear system (seriously Daum, make your amazingly perfect skill based combat actually based on skill) I think it's my perfect MMO (until New World comes out of course).  That being said, literally the only thing keeping me from playing it is the pop in/draw distance issues.  It's completely immersion breaking and ruins everything graphical about this game, this game that looks great unless you're moving -.-

Is there any way to fix the horrendous pop in and/or increase the draw distance?  There has to be some sort of tweak out there by now that fixes it right?

And don't say turn on high end mode... the pop in is still pretty rough and you lose a good 20 fps.

2 people like this

Posted

Are you using SSD? Is your SSD fast enough?
People often missed that and think of it being the issue of graphics card.
High end mode is the one that exacerbates the pop-in because it makes the texture MORE detailed (larger in size I assume), and everything that drags the performance down.
If your hard drive isn't fast enough to allow a more speedy loading up of the texture, it may cause problems. 
(that's what I was told, forgive me if I'm wrong.)

Posted

Having an SSD only reduces it slightly. The pop-in remains rather extreme, since BDO uses very aggressive lodding and occlusion culling.

Sadly this is something PA will have to fix on their end, by implementing LOD blending rather than using binary steps.

3 people like this

Posted

I played so much I got used to the pop in and didn't notice how bad it was, until I played Witcher 3 again. -_-

Posted

Are you using SSD? Is your SSD fast enough?
People often missed that and think of it being the issue of graphics card.
High end mode is the one that exacerbates the pop-in because it makes the texture MORE detailed (larger in size I assume), and everything that drags the performance down.
If your hard drive isn't fast enough to allow a more speedy loading up of the texture, it may cause problems. 
(that's what I was told, forgive me if I'm wrong.)

Yep, have BDO on an SSD and have a recent gen i7.  The pop in is definitely game-side.

1 person likes this

Posted

PA explained that pop-in is a mandatory tradeoff in their game engine due to the open world design without loading screens. However it was also mentioned they are working to improve the issue over time as much as they can.

Posted

Nothing is improving. With every big patch it's getting worse.

1 person likes this

Posted

Having an SSD only reduces it slightly. The pop-in remains rather extreme, since BDO uses very aggressive lodding and occlusion culling.

Sadly this is something PA will have to fix on their end, by implementing LOD blending rather than using binary steps.

I'll be sure to prove you wrong once I get my new PC assembled.

Posted

is why I quit.

Posted (edited)

I'll be sure to prove you wrong once I get my new PC assembled.

If you can, that would be nice :)

I made the same switch - Upgraded to a gtx 970 and an ssd, and while pop-in was reduced it wasn't as much as you would think. It's still very noticable.

Edited by MChrome

Posted (edited)

I've been playing this game for at least 6 months actively and didn't even know what pop-in were until just now. 
I have never noticed it and it never bothered me. Not a single bit.

Edited by Dasheng

Posted (edited)

I've been playing this game for at least 6 months actively and didn't even know what pop-in were until just now. 
I have never noticed it and it never bothered me. Not a single bit.

thats hard..oO...sry if it sounds harsh, but what kind of game did u play before BDO?^^ or better said..what graphicsettings do u use in other games? :o

BTT: as far as i know, a partner of PA is working on the engine and the game will get (korea maybe only this year, rest next yea..dont know) an update with "better" graphics. But they dont said a word abput this popping shit. 

They say: "PA explained that pop-in is a mandatory tradeoff in their game engine due to the open world design without loading screens. However it was also mentioned they are working to improve the issue over time as much as they can."  <<<< if it is a designe to save performance, why does some ppl DONT have this Issue? or not that much that it is noticable?? One guy in the german forums is goin crazy, because of this sh.. His (2016) nearly new rig was way better, MUCH better than one in his work. But only his OWN, BETTER pc has this popping. If it is a design decision, every rig should have it, or not?

My rig has more than enough Power to handle the game on max settings@1080p:

i7 6700, 16GB DDR4 2133, win10 64bit, gtx 1070 EVGA FE, samsung 850evo, 1&1 VDSL 100Mbit with full bandwich. More than enough...but some with a gtx 600er, i5 2500k etc pp, can play it without LOD popping..make sense...sry PA...fail 

edit: http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/09/11/black-desert-online-interview-pearl-abyss-talks-dark-elves-future-updates-fixes-and-much-more/  <<interview from 09/2016

"Western players have found the visual pop-in of some items of the environment a bit disturbing. Are you working on solving the issue? Is it even possible?

PA: Since our world is seamless and also very big, it was an unavoidable problem, but we’re totally aware of it, and fixing it step-by-step."   FIXING STEP BY STEP...maybe there is a little piece of hope left.. :(:) 

Edited by kidou1304

Posted

This bothered me a lot when I first started playing BDO a year ago but now I hardly even notice it.  I guess I've gotten used to it.  Would be nice if this could be changed/fixed.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yep, have BDO on an SSD and have a recent gen i7.  The pop in is definitely game-side.

Same here. 

BDO suffers from pop-in EVEN IN THEIR OFFICIAL COMMERCIALS

How are they not ashamed to show their lack of proper optimization? @@ 

Posted

Is there any way to fix the horrendous pop in and/or increase the draw distance?

Unfortunately not... it's just the game engine.  You might be able to 'slightly' improve it using some of the suggestions people have made but any real 'fix' needs to come from PA changing/upgrading the engine on their end.

It bothered me a lot in the beginning, and I would love for it to be improved though to be honest I barely notice it these days. 

Posted

If you can, that would be nice :)

I made the same switch - Upgraded to a gtx 970 and an ssd, and while pop-in was reduced it wasn't as much as you would think. It's still very noticable.

I personally noticed a HUGE difference in popins when I went to an M.2 SSD over a normal one.
It seems to be the running theme. Everyone I know thath as M.2's stuggle a lot less with popins in general, I have to squint to see it at this point.

Everyone here needs to keep in mind, there is a HUGE difference between and SSD and a proper M.2 SSD.

We are speaking a normal SSD can be at around 500ish read/write while the M.2's are usually 1700-3200 read, and around 1500-2000 write.
6 times faster than a regular SSD.

Posted (edited)

But it isn't loading speed issue. It is LOD issue.

You can have 100000 read and write and they would still pop because LOD is so low

They need to implement proper graphic options. Slider for View/LOD distance would be great

Edited by Jin-

Posted

its definitely game or server-sided.

i just finally finished my new rig yesterday with a samsung evo 960 m.2 ssd, i7 7700k and gtx 1080 ti RoG oc. i get constant 55-60 fps outside towns with graphics maxed (except high end mode as that doesn't seem to do anything), about 40 fps at a karanda fight yesterday although with not much players on my channel and obviously others effects disabled (havent tried with enabled yet).

When riding through heidel or calph at max speed on my horse with sprint + instant accel, the game doesnt even load half of the players, mounts and npc before i already passed again even though my ssd barely shows any activity and fps also stay above 35 atleast.

What i dont get anymore though are missing ground textures and random horse "freezes/stucks" because the game couldnt catch up anymore with loading the "ground". A faster ssd helps with loading the world & textures faster and from afar, but not npc & player models.

Posted

Pop-in has been a over-looked issue in this game since day one.. will they fix it? no.

Posted (edited)

edit: http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/09/11/black-desert-online-interview-pearl-abyss-talks-dark-elves-future-updates-fixes-and-much-more/  <<interview from 09/2016

"Western players have found the visual pop-in of some items of the environment a bit disturbing. Are you working on solving the issue? Is it even possible?

PA: Since our world is seamless and also very big, it was an unavoidable problem, but we’re totally aware of it, and fixing it step-by-step."   FIXING STEP BY STEP...maybe there is a little piece of hope left.. :(:) 

ehm...just take a look and to the video above WHICH SHOWS the workload of HDD and SSD is nearl around <5%(HDD) <1%(SSD) when it comes to this LOD Shit...so its not a thing on our hardware-end...is the software. The video shows how much the internetbandwich works too. It wents up to 15k-20000kbs.

But take a look to my quoted link..there is a little light of hope on the horizon..

edit: Dont know what they patched today...german notes takes much longer cuz of late changes..but i have much less popping now..oO

Shadowsystem is still shit and hopping, not moving slowly how it should, but ok.

Edited by kidou1304