• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Horse Racing - 30 second countdown is too low

49 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I love horse races (they're really fun!), and I am absolutely fine with people who put in the time and effort to breed good racing horses getting first place.

However, they can often be really frustrating for the wrong reason: The 30 second timer that starts once the first person reaches the finish, which means that if you have someone in your race with a great horse they will come first (as they deserve) but it leaves no time for other competitors to even make it to the finish to get 2nd place/3rd place/etc. It ends up being so frustrating when you're in a fun race on an average-to-good horse only for it to end before you can even get close to the finish to get no rewards.

When I have won races, I still feel bad that by going as fast as I can I am essentially denying people/friends/guildies of their chance to even finish.

When I come in second, I hope that other players don't get disqualified for being just a tiny bit too slow because my rewards get scaled based on the number of people who finish. So even my 

As horse trainers start/continue to breed up horses that have the skills required for racing, it will mean that new players will consistently be unable to finish races, which is frustrating for them and ends up frustrating for everyone because of the lack of people to race against.

Proposed solution: Increase the countdown timer that appears once the first player finishes a race from 30 seconds to 60 seconds.

Otherwise horse racing is great!

Edited by Famme
23 people like this

Posted

I completely agree with this. Just happened to me now and it was really frustrating. 

Posted

+999999999

I dont mind losing at all, but i atleast wanna finish the race 😑 i would go even further and say 120 seconds wouldnt be a bad idea.

1 person likes this

Posted

Now that I know this, I do feel kinda bad. I have a T6, T8, and T7 (once I buy a skill change coupon or two) that have sprint, IA, and drift. At least with those races people are more likely to have a faster horse that's capable of finishing, but my T1 on the other hand has sprint and I've noticed that unless the other racers have sprint or at least the IA drift combo, they really stand no chance of completing on time unless they know really good shortcuts.

I understand why they put in that ending time limit simply to keep races flowing and to prevent a race from lasting forever, but I think an increase to 60 seconds or 90 seconds is more than reasonable. Plus some Asian cultures tend to not believe in "participation trophies" and this is a good compromise between giving people a chance to earn the 1 seal reward, but not rewarding everyone who participates. I could see people who don't care about winning or trying in the races just enter the race and autopathing to the end just so they could get the 1 seal reward, thus keeping people who want to compete and have fun from entering the race if the 20 racer limit is hit.

Posted

In that case the time between the two races should be increased so we can continue participating in both D:

Posted

i want to try it but i dont feel i have any decent horses... 
i dont have the money for skill resets so even my higher tier horses have bad skill....
;n;

Posted

I agree with this.

Posted

i want to try it but i dont feel i have any decent horses... 
i dont have the money for skill resets so even my higher tier horses have bad skill....
;n;

Just put in time and effort and you'll get a good horse eventually. You can't expect to get a good horse without time and effort. I have good horses and have not spent any money on skill resets or anything else. It just takes a lot of breedings and a chance at RNG giving good skills eventually. If you don't want to put in time to get a good horse, than horse racing probably isn't for you. It took me several months to get good horses.

I agree maybe  it should be increased to 60seconds, but no more than that.

Posted

Just put in time and effort and you'll get a good horse eventually. You can't expect to get a good horse without time and effort. I have good horses and have not spent any money on skill resets or anything else. It just takes a lot of breedings and a chance at RNG giving good skills eventually. If you don't want to put in time to get a good horse, than horse racing probably isn't for you. It took me several months to get good horses.

my very first t6 from way back got drift and IA
its a t6 f(storm) which means its speed is only 116.5 base so i wonder if that would be good enough to race with

Posted

my very first t6 from way back got drift and IAits a t6 f(storm) which means its speed is only 116.5 base so i wonder if that would be good enough to race with

You might not win, but its good enough to compete for rewards.

The problem isn't as bad at Tier 6+ races because the races are faster so its easier to make it to the end within 30 seconds of the leader. The difference between a level Tier 1 with Drift and Instant Accel and a level 30 Tier 1 without it is more than 30 seconds, meaning that without Drift/IA the person with the latter person won't even get a chance to take 2nd place even if they're the only 2 people racing.

No problem at all with people who really put in the time and effort to get horses ready for racing getting the rewards their work deserves, just a little bit of extra time to allow a bit more competition in the places behind that would make it less frustrating I think for everyone involved. :) 60 seconds should be enough, it'll probably be more fun for the winner getting to actually see the people they beat and by how much too.

Posted

This is some sort of Korean game developer mentality That I don't really get. I've played racing games in Korean server, specifically speaking, Kart Rider as one of them.  Racers finish maybe 1 minute ahead of you and don't bother to give you time to finish so you can collect some money and XP. They see you on the map and  don't even care. However, the biggest problem is not just that which I have just mentioned. After a player finishes first he/she gets 10 seconds to make it to the finish line. I know that the game is challenging but it also pushes new players away as they can never be higher lvl or get any money since they never make it to the finish line. If you don't make it in time you get zero money and zero experience. That's really harsh on new players. I just don't get that obsession of making games frustrating instead of fun.

Posted

Absolutely in support of this 100%.

Posted (edited)

120 seconds would be perfect, and won't break anything. Currently the races on Velia O1 and Velia O2 are staggered enough to allow this.

My low tier horses don't have great skills and are not likely to win a race, but I still race them because I want to learn the tracks/routes. When a race ends 30 seconds after the first person finishes, I don't even know where the end is going to be because the arrows disappear after you finish your current checkpoint.

Please make the arrows remain visible until everyone is ported out of the race, as us slow pokes would still like to know where the finish line is.

Edited by Daneya
2 people like this

Posted

my very first t6 from way back got drift and IAits a t6 f(storm) which means its speed is only 116.5 base so i wonder if that would be good enough to race with

I would at least try it out with that horse, it has a good chance.  I entered with a T5 that I didn't think would win. As it's not as fast as others and only has sprint.

I win and lose sometimes or do silly things like fall off a cliff and not finish. So don't worry. I race for fun and am not too bothered if I lose or don't finish. Just try things out.

I've yet to get a decent T2, so maybe I'll just race a T2 without any good skills and see anyway how it goes.

1 person likes this

Posted

As soon as I logged in on patch day, I tried a T1 race. 6 people in the race, only 2 completed it. Granted that I bought my horse that day literally just to try the racing out(lvl 10 T1 with 105% speed ain't going anywhere fast lol), it was kind of lame that even those way ahead of me, but not in the lead, couldn't finish in time.

Posted

I would at least try it out with that horse, it has a good chance.  I entered with a T5 that I didn't think would win. As it's not as fast as others and only has sprint.

I win and lose sometimes or do silly things like fall off a cliff and not finish. So don't worry. I race for fun and am not too bothered if I lose or don't finish. Just try things out.

I've yet to get a decent T2, so maybe I'll just race a T2 without any good skills and see anyway how it goes.

yea i think ill give it a shot

Posted

keep an eye on the market too, there are lots of horses with good skills get put up with zero breeds on theI. But sell very fast

1 person likes this

Posted

Instead of asking kakao/pa to work on the timer, how about you work on your horse

Posted

Just make the races RNG. Game considers applicants horses, rolls out results (horse stats do matter ofc ofc). No one gets left behind. Make BDO great again.

Posted

horse racing is a whale's game anyway

sour g-----s yeah of course, but it's already taken me months to get sideways move on a t7 i'm not springing jack shiat for ia sprint and drift for a few trinkets mmk 

Posted

Instead of asking kakao/pa to work on the timer, how about you work on your horse

You should work on your brain instead of trolling on a forum.

Posted

horse racing is a whale's game anyway

sour g-----s yeah of course, but it's already taken me months to get sideways move on a t7 i'm not springing jack shiat for ia sprint and drift for a few trinkets mmk 

i only know about alustin but on our races only the top trainers constantly win, all artisan. it´s people that bred since launch (even since kr) and kept their good horses since then. since march. i don´t think anybody who isn´t that dedicated even wants the reward boxes so i doubt any whale puts up with these crap fake coupons.

as for the timer, me and some other trainer´s wait in front of the finish line for the rest to come. maybe we can try and make this a common thing : P

Posted

I really think they should extend the timer thgh for when the first one finishes. Was in a race today with 8 people and only 3 made it to the finish... kinda sucks out all the enjoyement out of the event >_>

Agree

Posted

Agreed. I've been in many races where several competitors haven't been able to reach the finish line in time.

Posted

Oh come on guys. There is a reason why they do it this way. They want to force you to buy skill change coupons to be competitive.