• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Actions against 'Shovel Exploiters'

415 posts in this topic

Posted

Thank you!

Dying?   Hard to say.  I can tell you it's saturated for sure. Everything is going software based and programming seems to be the future. I'm an oldschool MCSE under NT4.0 then upgraded to Active Directory in 2000, hate to put an age out but my comptia certs are so old they don't expire...lol  people still take those exams???

LOL vet life forsure sir haha, bad ass.
Yeah people still take those exams for whatever reason /shrug haha

It's definitely easier now to manage a network now than years past. Everything is point/click and plug-n-play with the answer just a search away. I can't even tell you when the last time I opened a book to research an issue. Chances are someone else had the issue before you and posted the fix.  

YUP. I deal with this today. Less work for me to do a lot of the time? But some times I miss a lot of the lab work I did at cisco. Maybe I should go back to cisco and stop playing with these suits, lol.
I miss R&D. :(

I'm ashamed to say that my degrees are in network security, but so much has changed that the knowledge learned is well outdated by now.  It's truly a reactively panic and fix situation these days. You can only go so far for proactive security.

Yep! cyber security / cyber forensics here.
The amount of reading I have to do to keep up knowledge is goofy lol, it's worth it, though. Not working too much of a security heavy position in my current workplace but, good to attempt to keep up with the craziness going on.
You're 100% right though :( hahaha

/off rant   :)

On a side note, better pickup those IOS15 Cisco routers and switches while they're cheap. Even Cisco is headed towards software based routing... It's all about that subscription model...

New building we're moving into I've confirmed we're doing CAT7 in, still indecisive as to what I want to do with the rest, as the project isn't even in design phase yet haha. Maybe I can see if we have the budget to slide a couple in just because though.
The thought of software based routing really irks me. :(  what has the world come to...

Posted (edited)

Greetings Adventurers,

We previously informed you of our investigation and necessary actions to stop the potential abuse of an exploit in BDO. Unfortunately some Players would sacrifice the enjoyment of others for advancement at any cost.

The use of exploits to gain an unfair advantage over other Players is an egregious violation of our Terms of Use. As such these Users have been permanently removed from the game. We wish to make our stance clear regarding this type of behavior; it will not be tolerated.

During our investigation some restrictions were placed on the functionality of specific in-game items over the past few days. Actions of this nature, while inconvenient are rare and done for good reason, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thanks for actually banning the people who had knowledge this was an exploit, however I am truly concerned here as a player of this game, and as a post of mine was removed (Censorship) which I just re-posted on MMORPG about this game...

Anyways getting to the point I understand that some players "Intentionally used the exploit to their advantage, and I understand a zero tolerance for cheating in a game, but I truly and respectfully understand the following...

The Digging Exploit which was part of the game simply by filling inventory, except with the "Shards" and Items you want to obtain was part of the game Mechanics, I truly understand where this would be considered an exploit, however what I fail to understand is What if it had been me who found this, and started doing it without having knowledge it was an exploit, its a concern because what if some players who truly didn't know have been perm-banned From the game?

I would ask the following questions about 

. Why was the game not tested properly to avoid the exploit in the first place.
. Are the developers not responsible for releasing a broken update and coding it properly to take energy regardless of inventory being full every dig simple fix few lines of code?

. How about warning players properly about a exploit to stop as soon as its discovered or get banned, like honestly I understand exploiting is abusing in game mechanics that are not supposed to be there, but for such a simple bug or exploit that was improperly coded by the developers in the first place banning those who may not have had knowledge forever seems a bit too much, I could truly understand if this were things like using hacks, or glitching a Boss in a game for example so you can defeat it without getting hit when you shouldn't be able to.

However some players like myself may not have seen this as an exploit, and if I knew about digging myself and Saw this I might have used it myself for awhile until I knew for sure if it was illegal or not. Obviously I never did this because I never have used a shovel in the game feel free to check me out too, and I don't go around looking for exploits either If I find something that is game breaking I obviously report it but in my eyes this was not an exploit, is was coding that was done improperly by the designers of the game, I am sure it was likely an accident fixing it to take no energy if not successful mining because of inventory full, and then the other rare items being stackable but still they should acknowledge this at least.

. So can players who perhaps not knowingly took part in this have their bans lifted?  I understand those who Intentionally knew about it and did it, but those who possibly did not is a problem in my view, and the Damage has already been done and can't be undone with a full roll back, this is honestly enough to influence me into finding a new game not because of the damage, but because of the actions Daum as a company has shown me today along with other in game things not related to exploiting that likely wont be listen to or changed which should be.

If I had of done this and gotten in trouble myself, my defense is simple, If I don't get any item it isn't supposed to cost me energy right? That is what I thought ); Im sorry...  Some players could have thought this by mistake.

Edited by LilithDragonFlower

Posted

Thanks for actually banning the people who had knowledge this was an exploit, however I am truly concerned here as a player of this game, and as a post of mine was removed (Censorship) which I just re-posted on MMORPG about this game...

Anyways getting to the point I understand that some players "Intentionally used the exploit to their advantage, and I understand a zero tolerance for cheating in a game, but I truly and respectfully understand the following...

The Digging Exploit which was part of the game simply by filling inventory, except with the "Shards" and Items you want to obtain was part of the game Mechanics, I truly understand where this would be considered an exploit, however what I fail to understand is What if it had been me who found this, and started doing it without having knowledge it was an exploit, its a concern because what if some players who truly didn't know have been perm-banned From the game?

. Are the developers not responsible for releasing a broken update and coding it properly to take energy regardless of inventory being full every dig simple fix few lines of code?

. How about warning players properly about a exploit to stop as soon as its discovered or get banned, like honestly I understand exploiting is abusing in game mechanics that are not supposed to be there, but for such a simple bug or exploit that was improperly coded by the developers in the first place banning those who may not have had knowledge forever seems a bit too much, I could truly understand if this were things like using hacks, or glitching a Boss in a game for example so you can defeat it without getting hit when you shouldn't be able to.

However some players like myself may not have seen this as an exploit, and if I knew about digging myself and Saw this I might have used it myself for awhile until I knew for sure if it was illegal or not. Obviously I never did this because I never have used a shovel in the game feel free to check me out too, and I don't go around looking for exploits either If I find something that is game breaking I obviously report it but in my eyes this was not an exploit, is was coding that was done improperly by the designers of the game, I am sure it was likely an accident fixing it to take no energy if not successful mining because of inventory full, and then the other rare items being stackable but still they should acknowledge this at least.

. So can players who perhaps not knowingly took part in this have their bans lifted?  I understand those who Intentionally knew about it and did it, but those who possibly did not is a problem in my view, and the Damage has already been done and can't be undone with a full roll back, this is honestly enough to influence me into finding a new game not because of the damage, but because of the actions Daum as a company has shown me today along with other in game things not related to exploiting that likely wont be listen to or changed which should be.

Go burn exploiter and leave the i didnt know its an exploit explanations alone .......go to another game or maybe go play starcraft with cheats thats the only game exploiters can really play. Go Go Kakao ban all that use bots and exploit do that  and lets see how they can after  brag with theyr exploited tets .....hope you banned people saved a foto of all your " hard earned gear"

Posted

If I had of done this and gotten in trouble myself, my defense is simple, If I don't get any item it isn't supposed to cost me energy right? That is what I thought ); Im sorry...  Some players could have thought this by mistake.

You're what's considered 'fallout'. Door is ~~>.

Posted

This is your opinion. My reasoning behind being against the ideology at all is because it's negative in every aspect, which is my opinion, of course.I don't find it cool, that people want to shame others.
Disgusts me, really.
I am not sure I can elaborate on why it disgusts me but it does.
Probably because I'm expecting more from fellow people as what I'd consider "Civilized, intelligent" beings.
I don't like to make fun of people regardless of if they "Deserve" it or not. Suppose it's more personal, if anything.

I mean, they've been and are being handled by the people with the authority to handle it.Why isn't that enough? As a legitimate question, I'm curious.

None of us players have the right to say who did what, because none of us have the data that Kakao do.
They are the only ones with the authority to ban players.

I think the keyword here is "trust".

Posting a list with names, reason for ban and ban duration would make it very clear for players that the job has been done. Is it rly more shameful to get your nick named on a public list than it is to abuse the exploit in the first place?

The way I would want it would be a sticky topic in news&announcements where all the names are listed, thread closed for replies ofc. Other than that normal rules would apply, no creating threads shaming ppl on the list and thrashtalking their previous guilds.

Keeping the names secret just to avoid a minority of ppl from shaming and insulting ppl that probably arent even around anymore because banned is wrong in my opinion.

People in real life who have commited real crimes arent kept a secret so why should rulebreakers in games where you are annonymous be protected?

And to answer the question "Why isnt that enough?" The answer is just that, trust. I wouldnt trust a drug addict if they told me they where sober. They would have to prove it to me in some way.

2 people like this

Posted

Same. You a cisco acad kiddie too :D? ♥(I sortof dabble in many fields, but the core of my career is networking.)

And they probably are using SQL. Most do. I just wanted to be a poop haha.

I'm really getting on with mongo recently, as I'm using it for a big discord-bdo project I've been working on for a while now.MEAN is really fun. For the past... 5 weeks? I've been writing probably like 99% javascript lol.

Cool! You'll have to show me your hackery some time. I'm usually deep in the back end, so a little rusty on the JS.

BTW: Why are all you other people talking about shovels in our tech thread?

Posted

This is your opinion. My reasoning behind being against the ideology at all is because it's negative in every aspect, which is my opinion, of course.I don't find it cool, that people want to shame others.
Disgusts me, really.
I am not sure I can elaborate on why it disgusts me but it does.
Probably because I'm expecting more from fellow people as what I'd consider "Civilized, intelligent" beings.
I don't like to make fun of people regardless of if they "Deserve" it or not. Suppose it's more personal, if anything.

I mean, they've been and are being handled by the people with the authority to handle it.Why isn't that enough? As a legitimate question, I'm curious.

None of us players have the right to say who did what, because none of us have the data that Kakao do.
They are the only ones with the authority to ban players.

Back-end SQL also uses flag trip systems, for example, to generate and store logs based on events and occurrences.I am not sure of this next part but, in many cases there are transaction(not talking sql lingo), but legitimate transaction logs between players for some games.
Idk if this game does the same on their backend.
More than likely, though, this would be information PA would work on, as that's more devops shit.

Tbh, although I don't know,
Not sure if Kakao has a devops / devop employee that can run queries across the game db like that per each region.

PS. Not all games use SQL ;)

You sir have far more patience than I do with interwebs people. I have no tolerance for...as I've stated before in other posts.. Entitled...little...shits.

Oh god, don't use triggers like that! You'll hold up every transaction. Replicate or export the data and mine for patterns after the fact. Read it inline if you're WEBSCALE* I suppose.

* http://www.mongodb-is-web-scale.com/

Yessir. That's what you should do (replicate and/or export, I pref replicate personally).

Cool! You'll have to show me your hackery some time. I'm usually deep in the back end, so a little rusty on the JS.

Kinky...

I'm more of a network kinda guy.  I've had training in oracle SQL, but mainly backups, maintenance, etc.   I assumed they were using SQL because I seen post not to long ago Daum was looking for back-end developers with experience with SQL; but that could of been for the website as-well.

How did I miss this opportunity?! Why life, whhhhyyyyy!? Not that I can "really' complain about working for the gov doing SQL....I wanna just play games, workout, and chill... My dreams...RIP. 

Posted

Check out NODE. Might interest you in your backend adventures. It's what I Use for mine :P;)

Makes JS full webstack

Andddd LMAO hahaha i know right?

You sir have far more patience than I do with interwebs people. I have no tolerance for...as I've stated before in other posts.. Entitled...little...shits.

Yeahhhh, I'm not sure where I got the patience from but, it helps. A lot. lol.

Posted

It is extremely amusing, to me at least, that all or nearly all of the major exploiters belonged to one guild.  To those that escaped...well your time may still come.  Anyone that thinks major exploits will not be detected at some point are idiots.  It doesn't necessarily take a human to be watching as you do your misdeeds cute little subroutines can detect your hanky panky as well.  Take a learn everyone, cheaters never win.

Posted

You're old.

2 days older than me !

*waves*

Hello old friend! :D Still as feisty as ever I see!

1 person likes this

Posted

in you private nutshell universe the weaponsmith ist the one to be blamed for murder not the one who operated it, the user of that weapon should have been warned after the first killing, that it's no ok to kill people, before jailing him  .... xD

Posted

Don't worry, we did run some extensive log searches to see if there was anyone that might have done it accidentally, to make sure we did not ban any innocent users.

However, the ones we banned were certainly aware of it. As this exploit comes paired with macro / third-party-software usage in most cases in order to execute the exploit, there isn't really much doubt. The exploit could not really be done continuously on accident.

While the developers are responsible for any bugs in the code that allows this, the users are responsible for upholding the ToU they signed, which clearly states that if an exploit is found, or if they discover a bug which can cause an unintended advantage for them, they are to report it to us immediately and not abuse it for personal gain. Mistakes and bugs in code happen, and it's not always possible to filter them out by extensive QA testing. As you know, the game has many different aspects and it's just not possible to test every single mechanic, item and action in the game for every patch. Besides that, a small QA team is never a match for thousands of users that are playing the game 24/7.

As for warning players properly about an exploit as soon as it gets discovered: We actually disabled shovels and bottles as soon as we discovered the exploit, to prevent players from abusing it. Rather than posting a mere warning which will not be read by the majority of players, we simply do what is needed so the exploit can no longer be used.

Best regards,
GM Dew

13 people like this

Posted

hahah Lilith getting owned on Archeage and now on BDO too. GG GM DREW

Posted

Don't worry, we did run some extensive log searches to see if there was anyone that might have done it accidentally, to make sure we did not ban any innocent users.

However, the ones we banned were certainly aware of it. As this exploit comes paired with macro / third-party-software usage in most cases in order to execute the exploit, there isn't really much doubt. The exploit could not really be done continuously on accident.

While the developers are responsible for any bugs in the code that allows this, the users are responsible for upholding the ToU they signed, which clearly states that if an exploit is found, or if they discover a bug which can cause an unintended advantage for them, they are to report it to us immediately and not abuse it for personal gain. Mistakes and bugs in code happen, and it's not always possible to filter them out by extensive QA testing. As you know, the game has many different aspects and it's just not possible to test every single mechanic, item and action in the game for every patch. Besides that, a small QA team is never a match for thousands of users that are playing the game 24/7.

As for warning players properly about an exploit as soon as it gets discovered: We actually disabled shovels and bottles as soon as we discovered the exploit, to prevent players from abusing it. Rather than posting a mere warning which will not be read by the majority of players, we simply do what is needed so the exploit can no longer be used.

Best regards,
GM Dew

So in response to this can you please answer this for me. How was it fixed? Is it still possible to go out with a full inventory with only hard and sharp in your inventory and gather and not lose energy if you don't get anything other than the item you're looking for (Hard/Sharp)? If this is still possible is this against terms as you would be manually collecting but only want to try and gather hards/sharps? Or is it now when a gather is complete it calculates the energy consumption based of your gathering level? Trying to understand if this was truly fixed or if people that were using macro abuse were banned. I have not gone out to see if is even a thing but taking a look at it I would assume that it may still be possible to not lose energy with a full inventory unless you get a hard or sharp with manual gathering.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Best regards,
GM Dew

Awesome thanks <3 Good to hear that the logs were actually reviewed, and the people intentionally abusing dealt with, yes its almost impossible for most people to stand out there digging for those crystals because they would have to use a macro after hitting each one to go afk illegally although honestly I used to be a hardcore farmer on another game so I used to sit around for 8 hours a day milking cows so if I was told about this myself and didn't know it was actually illegal to do this I could have ended up being banned myself going simi-afk watching netflix series and digging over and over again for at least 5 hours + Straight, I am just glad that it was kinda figured out before I ever did such, this one being truly confusing to me about being an exploit to me not being obvious in some cases. * My concern being with the few that might have got banned not knowing about such an easy thing to end up doing to begin with.* I Could careless about the cheaters who deserve it I hate them.

And you are right for sure if I knowingly found an exploit that I believe was such one I would ask, and report it for sure, most of the exploits I find in games have to do with MOB AI glitching where people knowingly abuse a mob intentionally to gain XP and such like in Arche Age I couldn't stand being in groups that did this but was a couple of times and reported the bugs.

hahah Lilith getting owned on Archeage and now on BDO too. GG GM DREW

Haha well I didn't get banned so whatever, and Arche Age is dead in my eyes Trion killed it and threw the last nail in the coffin I ended up giving everything I had to a couple of clans I just flat out didn't find it worth spending $400 more on a game I didn't enjoy any longer because of Trion making dumb changes, and Dictatorship along that game... Still got my AA accounts though but I did make my goal of upgrading over 8 Personal Houses of my own and tons of farms before giving it all away to some random players... AA Could have been more but the changes they made made it awful.

As far as getting owned in AA LOL? Pretty much just a bunch of griefing kids, not something I look for in a MMO if I wanted to do that I would go play Dark Fall, a real Mans MMORPG with 100k Wagers on my corpse and full loot.

Posted

So in response to this can you please answer this for me. How was it fixed? Is it still possible to go out with a full inventory with only hard and sharp in your inventory and gather and not lose energy if you don't get anything other than the item you're looking for (Hard/Sharp)? If this is still possible is this against terms as you would be manually collecting but only want to try and gather hards/sharps? Or is it now when a gather is complete it calculates the energy consumption based of your gathering level? Trying to understand if this was truly fixed or if people that were using macro abuse were banned. I have not gone out to see if is even a thing but taking a look at it I would assume that it may still be possible to not lose energy with a full inventory unless you get a hard or sharp with manual gathering.

Thanks

You cant start without at least 2 empty Slots now

Posted

Thanks

It was fixed, as Caduryn said. You can't gather anymore if your inventory is full. So you can no longer reproduce the exploit.

Best regards,
GM Dew

Posted (edited)

It was fixed, as Caduryn said. You can't gather anymore if your inventory is full. So you can no longer reproduce the exploit.

Best regards,
GM Dew

Thanks, that is awesome keeps people who wanted to abuse from doing it and those who really might not know from doing it glad to hear this was fixed fast, now if you all could at least give more pearl inventory slots because im a whale and im honestly concerned that if I stay playing this awhile im going to run out of costume spaces being its already half full and will fill up a lot more if I buy 3 more.

If I do find any game-breaking exploits for sure I will report them for sure, and since I now know about the energy thing being an exploit if it doesn't use ill try and be on the look-out for things like this in the future.

Posted (edited)

So.. what exactly was the exploit?  Wasn't mentioned in the OP for some insane reason.

Edited by DAOWAce

Posted

So.. what exactly was the exploit?  Wasn't mentioned in the OP for some insane reason.

Really.....?

Well at least it explains your Forum Title.....

Posted

There was an exploit which allowed users to start digging in the desert with a full inventory (containing 1 Hard shard and 1 Sharp shard, the rest had to be non-digging related items). As long as no hard or sharp shard was dug up, energy wasn't consumed, which allowed people to continue digging for x hours/days/weeks/months, gathering a whole lot of hard and sharp shards, while bypassing energy consumption.

Posted

The difference is that giving out a list of banned players only shows a list of alliases/ingame nicks.

Naming and shaming a made up persona isnt such a  severe punishment concidering how easy it is to just make a new persona.

Regarding naming&shaming in general it has its good and bad sides. The kind of ppl that rolls with noone-saw-me-take-it-so-it-was-ok-to-do-so needs to be handled in some way. Name&shame is an old, tried and easy way to do it.

ftfy ;)

This is more fake than my girlfriend's boobs. They just tell you that what you want to hear. Where is the proof.

Posted (edited)

83e.gif83e.gif

Edited by Furya

Posted

just report every barcode guildie. 

Posted

In!!!

YOU CAN'T DIG YOURSELF OUT OF THIS ONE LOSERS!!!

HAHA!