• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Irl identity vs virtual identity while playing BDO

Irl identity vs virtual identity while playing BDO   198 votes

1. 1. Do you use your irl identity or virtual identity while playing BDO?

• Irl identity
    • Virtual identity
    • Hybrid of both
    • None of the above(elaborate on comment)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

67 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

For me, I would use irl identity when interacting with guildies on discord, but virtual identity in game.

This is a serious study of how people behave in digital environment.

Edited by Nerevarine

Posted

I just talk like a normal person. 

Maybe slip into character occasionally. 

Posted

Nice try, stalker >:l

Posted

I have a good batman voice.

1 person likes this

Posted

If someone hurt your character's feelings, it is sensible that you will empathize with your character. Even when you log off, you might feel tingling inside.

Posted (edited)

For me, I would use irl identity when interacting with guildies on discord, but virtual identity in game.

agent-smith-this-reality-o.gif

Edited by who
2 people like this

Posted

I'm just compensating for whatever I'm lacking irl. I play any class with a great sword because my pipe is too small. 

9 people like this

Posted

I don't change my personality because I'm online. But I do like to wear assassincreed clothing l oo l I even call myself a professional. (in a ironic fashion)

Posted

I'm just compensating for whatever I'm lacking irl. I play any class with a great sword because my pipe is too small. 

Virtual identity does help remedy irl deficiencies, most internet trolls are good people irl, some internet white knights are bullies irl.

Posted

I am delusional and can only tell that I am not my in-game persona while reading forums or while eating tacos.

Posted

, some internet white knights are bullies irl.

I always thought keyboard warriors were most likely people from debate club

Posted

I am delusional and can only tell that I am not my in-game persona while reading forums or while eating tacos.

Philosopher Descartes had once doubted the existence of a reality, he believed everything was just his dream state.

Posted

Virtual identity does help remedy irl deficiencies, most internet trolls are good people irl, some internet white knights are bullies irl.

I've had this discussion with a friend of mine once. We were trolling and triggering everyone when we played online, but we were always cool and nice to people in real life - it really made us think why and swore it would never cross our minds to actually be such douchebags irl. Maybe it's the experience of being different without consequences? Sorta like trying something new. Who knows :) 

Posted

The last episode of Black Mirror this season touches on how "good" people in real life can act like bad people online because they think there are no consequences. Good episode (entire show is awesome).

I act like my real life self. I've never been able to act differently in a game. Be it RP, or just do things I wouldnt normally do (aside from murdering thousands of creatures). Even when I enjoy people I'll typically be one to either do it in a setting where I know everyone has consented or are there for the PVP (arenas, battlegrounds) or I'll ask first. I'm quite boring.

1 person likes this

Posted

I've had this discussion with a friend of mine once. We were trolling and triggering everyone when we played online, but we were always cool and nice to people in real life - it really made us think why and swore it would never cross our minds to actually be such douchebags irl. Maybe it's the experience of being different without consequences? Sorta like trying something new. Who knows :) 

theory.thumb.jpg.a37ebdd79d3fc76e953c681

HTH, -----wad. xD

Posted (edited)

how you act on the internet is your true character.
How you act irl is mostly based off peer pressure, not wanting to get in trouble, and following societal norms.
Online you don't have the peer pressure, you wont get in trouble (within reason) and the "norms" are much more lax.
aka you're free to be your true self because you can't get in trouble for being a jerk. 

If you're a nice person irl and a jerk online, you're really just a jerk all the time, but you act fake in person.

I'm unsure how anyone hasn't figured this out yet.

Edited by xcandykitten
11 people like this

Posted (edited)

theory.thumb.jpg.a37ebdd79d3fc76e953c681

HTH, -----wad. xD

I guess that makes sense :) Difference is though that we didn't do it for the audience, it was more for the fun between us. Sorta like making jokes about people or doing stupid shit like going afk on doorways and ladders in games where there's character collision and typing "brb dinner is rdy". Still douchy but not "rude" in a sense :D 

How you act irl is mostly based off peer pressure, not wanting to get in trouble, and following societal norms.
Online you don't have the peer pressure, you wont get in trouble (within reason) and the "norms" are much more lax.
aka you're free to be your true self because you can't get in trouble for being a jerk. 

If you're a nice person irl and a jerk online, you're really just a jerk all the time, but you act fake in person.

Honestly, you're right to a certain extent, but I can assure you it's not as simple as you put it. For instance, I hate chatting with people I know in real life, but that doesn't mean I don't like talking to those people and put up a fake persona, I just dislike chatting for some weird reasons. Also online you don't know most of the people you come across, you don't know if it's someone you would even be around if it was in real life and on top of that it's a lot easier to get into the "rude jerk" category when you're interacting online because it's harder to read emotions in chat messages. Someone might walk up to you ingame at a grind spot and say "leave or die" and be joking (bad example, but you get the point I hope), especially when people are from different countries/cultures where social gestures are interpreted differently. Edit: So you basically might be like "hell naw" and then start talking back and what not, etc etc.

Edit: Also by chatting I actually mean social media, sms, in-game, etc.

Edited by ekz
2 people like this

Posted

Neither.  I play solo.  I'll occasionally answer a question in chat, but I don't have to identify myself to anyone so I don't. 

Posted

Well... I don't have much of a choice. I can't even choose my own outfit! :P

Best regards,
GM Dew

3 people like this

Posted

It depends on what you consider to be someone's "true character"

I think it speaks volumes towards someone's character when they have the good judgment to act in a way that is appropriate within society. That is apart of their character. Societal norms change both in time and in place, so someone who is cognizant of societal norms and respects them even if they may deep down in private disagree with them is someone who I think has a good character. We can't really help what we truly think inside, but we can control whether we express it if we are able to identify that way we think isn't appropriate. I don't think I would always call that "fake", sometimes it's just good sense.

1 person likes this

Posted

Well... I don't have much of a choice. I can't even choose my own outfit! :P

Best regards,
GM Dew

So my next question is, who decided plague doctor was going to be the standard?
Was it jouska?
IS THIS WHY HE BECAME PM? BRO CONSPIRACY SO REAL RIGHT NOW.

Posted (edited)

"There are a number of similarities between the proposed antisocial personality disorder in DSM-V and flame trolling" ... "People with empathic spectrum disorders (ESD) usually take part in flame trolling use their social skills to their advantage in harming others" Jonathan Bishop, international journal of cyber criminology, 2013.

"trolling correlated positively with sadism, psychopathy, and machiavellianism, using both enjoyment ratings and identity scores. Of all personality measures, sadism showed the most robust associations with trolling" Erin Buckels, Journal of Personality and Individual Differences vol 67, September 2014.

"Those who are  more self-indulgent, narcissistic, idealistic, have high needs for acceptance, are more neurotic (high on emotional instability), and are exploitative in their interactions with others, will indeed attack companies with greater frequency on the Internet in blogs and social media facilities (such as Facebook and YouTube) even if they know what they are writing is not completely true." Michael Workman, Journal of Computers & Security, 2010.

Edited by GavinRuneblade
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

antisocial

trolling correlated positively with sadism, psychopathy, and machiavellianism

Being antisocial, sadistic, or self serving aren't negative tendencies on their own and indulging your personality doesn't correlate to trolling or hurting people like your quotes seem to imply. It is better to understand yourself, your quirks, and your nature than to artificially conform to some sociologist's view of how people should operate in society.

Normal is overrated.

As far as interacting with others, I am always myself.. but I am wary to share a ton of personal details because you never know.

Edited by Sibyyl
spelling
1 person likes this

Posted

This is a serious study of how people behave in digital environment.

I treat this game no differently than I would a FPS with voice-chat. Same person on any genre of game. Pretending to be someone your not... I just find that weird. Specially you dudes who join guilds and discords and never speak because your pretending to be a female and "do not have a mic."

Posted

Being antisocial, sadistic, or self serving aren't negative tendencies on their own and indulging your personality doesn't correlate to trolling or hurting people like your quotes seem to imply. It is better to understand yourself, your quirks, and your nature than to artificially conform to some sociologist's view of how people should operate in society.

Normal is overrated.

As far as interacting with others, I am always myself.. but I am wary to share a ton of personal details because you never know.

Just so you know, antisocial personality disorder is VERY different from what most people think when they hear "antisocial". It's poorly named, but has been that way in the DSM for a long time. ASPD people tend to lack morals, will be involved in crime etc... In childhood they typically have Conduct disorder, which is also pretty bad.

I treat this game no differently than I would a FPS with voice-chat. Same person on any genre of game. Pretending to be someone your not... I just find that weird. Specially you dudes who join guilds and discords and never speak because your pretending to be a female and "do not have a mic."

I haven't heard that "fake female" thing for years. Like back in Half-life/Initial Counterstrike days....people still do that?