• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Irl identity vs virtual identity while playing BDO

Irl identity vs virtual identity while playing BDO   198 votes

1. 1. Do you use your irl identity or virtual identity while playing BDO?

• Irl identity
    • Virtual identity
    • Hybrid of both
    • None of the above(elaborate on comment)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

67 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just so you know, antisocial personality disorder is VERY different from what most people think when they hear "antisocial". It's poorly named, but has been that way in the DSM for a long time. ASPD people tend to lack morals, will be involved in crime etc... In childhood they typically have Conduct disorder, which is also pretty bad.

It's hard for me to believe that the occurrence of APSD is so common as to contribute flame trolling in a statistically significant way. How many people with APSD use the Internet? How many people actually have ESD? How much flaming and trolling do you see on the Internet?

It is why reading that quote makes me think the person is referring to a more generalized idea of antisocial people, or they don't understand the prevalence of those conditions vs. flaming.

Edited by Sibyyl
repeated word
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

It's hard for me to believe that the occurrence of APSD is so common as to contribute flame trolling in a statistically significant way. How many people with APSD use the Internet? How many people actually have ESD? How much flaming and trolling do you actually see on the Internet?

It is why reading that quote makes me think the person is referring to a more generalized idea of antisocial people, or they don't understand the prevalence of those conditions vs. flaming.

I don't know anything about the quote or the data, but they clearly mean APSD since they call it that. If they meant just "antisocial people" they wouldn't have added "personality disorder" to the end.

As to whether or not it is true, I have no idea. I'm a Pediatrician, not a Psychiatrist/Psychologist.

Edited by DrWOokie

Posted

I am a Lolifutafurry <3

Posted

Why would you study in such a manner? Are players supposed to act in a certain manner in a ' digital ' environment? Why not study robots instead since their coding dictates their behavior ( or lack thereof ). Don't play around with others, unless anonymity is the case. Obviously the case study is already flawed considering comms rather than chat / action. Being vocal is something that rather interferes with your suggested ' behavior '.

Posted

Just so you know, antisocial personality disorder is VERY different from what most people think when they hear "antisocial". It's poorly named, but has been that way in the DSM for a long time. ASPD people tend to lack morals, will be involved in crime etc... In childhood they typically have Conduct disorder, which is also pretty bad.

I haven't heard that "fake female" thing for years. Like back in Half-life/Initial Counterstrike days....people still do that?

Yup... not gonna name drop, but I've encountered quite a few while playing BDO.

Posted (edited)

Clinical psychological studies can only prove correlation and correlation is not causation. It is also the reason why clinical psychology is not real science.

And there's multiple levels to each mental conditions, most of the "normal" people live with one or more of these mental condition in mild level.

Edited by Nerevarine

Posted

It's hard for me to believe that the occurrence of APSD is so common as to contribute flame trolling in a statistically significant way. How many people with APSD use the Internet? How many people actually have ESD? How much flaming and trolling do you see on the Internet?

Prevalence of ASPD is about 3% of males and 1% of females. ESD rates aren't stated as it is not in the dsm-v. Neither the author nor I made any claims about the general population of people with ASPD. He did cite many studies that measured the prevalence of trolling, but that is not relevant to the current discussion so I didn't include those in my quote.

The selected quotes were cherry picked because they most clearly refute the claim "most" trolls are good people. They were not intended to give a holistic view of trolling. 

However, it is a fun topic.

That specific article you were interested in was written with an eye towards regulation and court judgements. It differentiates between styles of trolling: those just looking for attention (kudos trolling), those seeking to oppose a stance or policy or group (activist trolling), and those that are disruptive without being constructive (flame trolling). A subset of flame trolling he identified as seeking purely to harm others (hate trolling) It is this very spread that makes a spectrum relevant, not everyone is extreme, nor harmful. 

Again, he did not see prevalence as relevant, because his goal was clarification of process and of harm. So what percent fall into what category was deliberately avoided as a distraction from the more important point that all trolling is not equal and the law needs to differentiate between just seeking attention, legitimate but aggressive opposition/activism, and actual harmful behavior.

if I read you right it is exactly this distinction you felt my quotes lacked. And you are totally right, they were as subtle as a hurled brick. But the author had that distinction in mind. His closing makes it clear:

"On nearly all stages of the criminal procedure rules, there is clear evidence of shortcomings in the way the authorities deal with Internet trollers... Perpetual [hate] trolls like the one interviewed, who have grudges against certain people have no action taken against them, whereas those who make offensive jokes in the moment feel the full force of the law because of public outcry. The law enforcement authorities need to get a grip and take action against flame trollers only when set thresholds have been met and not in response to media-led opinion."

The person interviewed was a cyber stalker who targeted specific people for over a year and was never punished even when his identity came out. The second was relating to a person who posted multiple racist jokes on Twitter during a drunken binge (all posts on one evening) and got 56 days of jail time for committing a hate crime. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I hate you all!

Posted

Heh, your handle reminds me of the proverb about the scorpion, in some versions being carried across a river but stinging his mount so they both drown; in other versions stinging the monk who saves him from drowning. Either way when asked why he attacked a helper he replied it is in the nature of a scorpion to sting.

Well, it is the in the nature of a demon to hate. 😃

Posted

I always act like myself.

Overtime I've built up some kind of slightly abstract identity for almost all of my characters, but those identities are not mine to express.

Posted

No way does typing over the internet show what you are like IRL,even if you tried 

Posted

I'm too shy and anxious in real life, but this is probably how I would be if I were comfortable with myself and around other people, no matter if they're irl or online.

Online you don't have the peer pressure, you wont get in trouble (within reason) and the "norms" are much more lax.

but you do have peer pressure? How is someone who is easily influenced by society not also easily influenced by internet culture?

sadistic

aren't negative tendencies

How??? To be a sadist means to derive pleasure from hurting others. How is that not a negative tendency??

Posted

I'm too shy and anxious in real life, but this is probably how I would be if I were comfortable with myself and around other people, no matter if they're irl or online.

roOY.gif

Posted

roOY.gif

o it's u

Damn dude

This is a serious study of how people behave in digital environment.

Also, if this is the case, don't only ask players of bdo. At most you'll get maybe 200 votes from a fairly niche fanbase compared to the entirety of the internet.

Posted

Any reason why @Who isn't banned yet?

Posted

How??? To be a sadist means to derive pleasure from hurting others. How is that not a negative tendency??

If it is something that you are, how do you get rid of it?

From my own experience, the things you do can be positive or negative, but a person should never approach a tendency or a trait as negative. I mean, you are stuck with yourself, so I don't think it makes any sense to disqualify a part of what you are as some automatic negative thing.

1 person likes this

Posted

I lack the availability of flowers in real life to complete my persona. There's no shortages of flowers online though. (✿◡‿◡)

Posted

If it is something that you are, how do you get rid of it?

From my own experience, the things you do can be positive or negative, but a person should never approach a tendency or a trait as negative. 

By realising it's wrong to ever want to do something like that to someone? By questioning why you feel that way in the first place and what caused you to think like that? It's not like you couldn't EVER possibly reform yourself and see things in a new light.  

How is deriving pleasure from something that hurts other people not hurtful in and of itself? How is it not a NEGATIVE trait to be selfish, to see people in pain and think "this is nice"? I understand it's not the same as acting on it, but thinking it and having those traits is still bad, because generally those traits are associated with feelings of negativity towards other people, or only caring about yourself.

you are stuck with yourself

Also you say this as though people can't change the parts they know are bad about themselves. 

1 person likes this

Posted

shouldnt this be in the rp section? 

sane people dont actually have "virtual identities" 

Posted

denepdnign on the moment I jump in and out of rping my character in game.

to the point offf......

I haven't heard that "fake female" thing for years. Like back in Half-life/Initial Counterstrike days....people still do that?

for pretty much all of my recent guild recruits I had to at some point make them realise I am no girl :P

for some reason all of them judging by my behaviour in-game/voice on discord was sooooo sure that I'm one....

differences are time-to-realisation - in some cases recruit asked right away to make sure if he's right on other cases it took days before I catched one on direct female reference and have corrected him.

I smell unsued trolling potentiall here >:D

Posted

Nice topic :)

Posted

Well... I don't have much of a choice. I can't even choose my own outfit! :P

Best regards,
GM Dew

Show it to us, please.

Posted

Virtual identity. or more like i use my virtual name and prefer to use char names of friends. not act like im a scantily clad sorc from serendiah. that stuff is for inside my head only :3

Posted

Referring to people by real name in game or voice chat makes it very hard for new members to fit in. It also creates confusion when there are multiple people with same names.

Posted

Any reason why @Who isn't banned yet?

tumblr_n9gebvNhnI1rawb5do1_500.gif