• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Too many NPCs

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

There's just too many NPCs. It's excessive. I dont understand the need to have so many especially when it can have a negative impact on performance. Look at Calpheon. It is absurd. Now Calpheon is already a convoluted disaster. The tight corridors that you're forced to traverse through, congested with way too many NPCs. I just dont understand why.  These NPCs all have collision and it can actually slow your movement down. I dont know if its the amount of NPCs that cause severe pop-in issues but i would assume. How about in Calpheon when youre crossing that bridge loaded with an NPC army and elephant and whatnot. Those NPC dont even load until i've crossed the bridge and this all causes obvious performance hits.Why not just remove some of them? And by some i mean half. I think its something simple that would increase performance and reduce unnecessary clutter

Edited by Sono9000
typo
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I want an option to minimize not only npcs, but characters as well that basically just makes them a basic character template in a basic outfit/robe. Something like what you can do in mabinogi.

Edited by Teacow
3 people like this

Posted

I want an option to mini maze not only npcs, but characters as well that basically just makes them a basic character template in a basic outfit/robe. Something like what you can do in mabinogi.

An excellent suggestion.

Posted

An excellent suggestion.

Why, thank you :^> I've been thinking about it alot lately since there's so much lag in major cities and you can solve it without cutting down on npcs. 

Another option that would help extremely is to make a track for people who want to afk horse train that is a designated safe zone, because too many people train within the borders of places like heidel just because they dont want to get attacked :'^( (I'm guilty of this too)

Posted (edited)

Why, thank you :^> I've been thinking about it alot lately since there's so much lag in major cities and you can solve it without cutting down on npcs. 

Another option that would help extremely is to make a track for people who want to afk horse train that is a designated safe zone, because too many people train within the borders of places like heidel just because they dont want to get attacked :'^( (I'm guilty of this too)

I do think a solution that would allow the current number of npcs to be kept would be favorable. I do think the sheer number of npcs can be quite immersive. But the fact that they take so long to load in really kills it for me and is quite annoying. Though I would definitely appreciate them being a little more spread out.

Also a great suggestion with the horse track. I mean that just sounds really neat in general. I do avoid Heidel like the plague for this reason. Which is a shame cus i think it's a real neat city. So if i want to enjoy it i need to be on a low pop channel.

Edited by Sono9000
1 person likes this

Posted

I could go for a menu option to reduce things like other character visuals within safe zones and extraneous npcs.  But to be honest I'd prefer they make those NPCs useful instead, like the farms/homes you find in Mediah with 5-30 NPCs and you cannot talk to a single one...  or the castle sites where there aren't any NPCs, you'd think there would be kids playing, adventurers wandering, at least some rats....  I'd like to see an "expansion" of nothing but filler, where content was improved/increased in existing areas, there is a lot of places no one ever goes to , because there is nothing there...

Posted

I agree with you all : / There is to many random NPCs in this game, Calpheon is tragic with constant popping. Some of those NPCs should be eliminated, and other made more useful. And other should not have option to speak to when they have nothing to say. I'm always frustrated when I want to talk to Stable keeper and of course I'm talking to a guard behind him because a went a little to far -___-

Posted

Totally agree, need a graphics option to cut out pointless npcs.

Posted (edited)

And this topic will be ignored even though it's one of the most fundamental things wrong with the game.

It runs like ass.

Fix it.

Edited by Sono9000
1 person likes this

Posted

topic wont be ignored so long as you mention the key people :)

@CM_Aethon @CM_Praballo @PM_Jouska

This along with alot of other issues is plaguing the games performance so much so that my 2 PC's that i used to play the game are just getting horrendously worse and worse over time with each new update that comes.

they really need to get onto the developers of the game to push for better optimziation and declutter alot of crap. as well as give better option control to users, 

cause even with a = i5 2600k - 12GB of ram - Nvidia geforce GTX 750ti i still play on optimization mode and medium texture quality cause its what gives me the best possible FPS out there

same exact thing goes for my minimal spec PC = i3 540 - 4GB of ram - Geforce GT640 OC

not only that with the amount of threads and replies i see daily now about this issue, its no wonder majority of people cant get a kzarka weapon or hell even do karanda and get a dandelion box :D

its stupid really and only further segmenting the community.

1 person likes this

Posted

It's not the NPCs that make your game stutter. It's the other players. Communicating their actions and movement to everyone within range is taxing to the network architecture, which leads to programmers using a lot of predicting algorithms, which leads to the game using a lot of CPU power when there are a lot of other players around.

Unfortunately there's little to do than try to optimize those algorithms or increase the server's network bandwidth. Both cost money.

Posted

It's not the NPCs that make your game stutter. It's the other players. Communicating their actions and movement to everyone within range is taxing to the network architecture, which leads to programmers using a lot of predicting algorithms, which leads to the game using a lot of CPU power when there are a lot of other players around.

Unfortunately there's little to do than try to optimize those algorithms or increase the server's network bandwidth. Both cost money.

They could still have an option to minimize characters so it doesn't have to load their specific customization of their class, what they're wearing, etc. It would make the game run a little smoother, especially in crowded areas.

Posted

well i dunno about you but it certainly worked better before valencia than it does now

i can say with 100% certainty that my game ran alot better and more smoothly while entering towns and what not filled to the brim with people on crowded channels yet channels done come anywhere that status now-a-days yet my PC is choking.

there is crap tons of optimization they can do to help elevate other systems in game. whatever they have done with Valencia and countless other updates after that has gone backwards in performance.

Posted

They could still have an option to minimize characters so it doesn't have to load their specific customization of their class, what they're wearing, etc. It would make the game run a little smoother, especially in crowded areas.

This is true. You can already do this for NPCs that are not near your character, but sure enough it could be used for player characters as well.

Posted

I wholeheartedly disagree with the removal of NPCs. The game world is beautiful and immersive BECAUSE of them.

Posted (edited)

There is a shit load of NPCs but it looks good.. Like Teacow suggested i think.. I would like an option in the settings thatll allow you to disable the extra NPCs that have no purpose for quests etc and are just there to make the world seem more lively. Id also like to see an option to reduce the amount of other players are shown on your screen at one time.. like most other mmos do. Iv never really had performance issues regarding NPCs but after a certain amount of players it really does lower my fps a lot.

Some people have said this is a bad idea due to the open world pvp and player collision.. Honestly that can be solved just by automatically adding collision when you flag up.. If someone else flags up and you have set a limit as to how many people are on screen then that person that is flagged will always show on screen? Idk or they could take the lazy route like TERA and just have that not matter at all..

TL;DR

- Option in settings to toggle On/Off Extra/Useless NPCs

- Option to limit amount of players shown at 1 time (Wont apply to Flagged Players, Node Wars)

Edited by KFC

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0