• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Is the World Round?

39 posts in this topic

Posted

So I'm sailing around Arehaza Town and notice that you can see land in the distance.. an actual coast.

You can't move the camera from left to right in a circle, it actually stops you. and some side looks like a flat world. Other times it looks like a round world.

So is the world round? What am I seeing to the far East? Is that the Western Epheria Coast? Some other continent?

1 person likes this

Posted

One hopes that the game will expand that much, think of the level bottle necking after the merge, so many frustrated people grasping for a xp spot, lol

but if the world expands well there is hope

Posted

I'm guessing the world is round because it is vaguely earth like overall. But realize we only see a tiny part of it. It won't look round at the scale we see. Just like a map of Europe doesn't show a round world.

Posted

The world of Black Desert is believed to be flat, as our men and women of knowledge claim. Which is why you can't sail around it, and sometimes... *gasps* sometimes you can even fall off the edge! (please don't try that, we might have some stashed dragons on the edges just in case, either way it's highly dangerous and unpleasant)

But since everything is but a mirage, there is a twist to everything. Maybe one day we'll find out why... (needs more knowledge, always more knowledge!)

Happy exploring! ^^

8 people like this

Posted

we might have some stashed dragons on the edges

Nouver confirmed 

1 person likes this

Posted

The world of Black Desert is believed to be flat, as our men and women of knowledge claim. Which is why you can't sail around it, and sometimes... *gasps* sometimes you can even fall off the edge! (please don't try that, we might have some stashed dragons on the edges just in case, either way it's highly dangerous and unpleasant)

But since everything is but a mirage, there is a twist to everything. Maybe one day we'll find out why... (needs more knowledge, always more knowledge!)

Happy exploring! ^^

Didn't expect a reply from a GM!

Honestly, the exploration is one of the best things done in this game from any MMO I have played.. hands down. Amazing job. The views?! Holy crap.

Love the ocean during sunset or sunrise.. the mist is -----ing amazing. First time I fished out in the open ocean I remember telling my friend they have to experience it because it's awesome. It's very real like it's scary how good it is.

My biggest question regarding this issue is what Land am I seeing east of Arehaza Town? Is that the west coast of Epheria? Is it new land?

I'm assuming I am seeing the West Side of Epheria port, but wanted to make sure. Tried to sail there but hit an invisible wall. Actually the minimap becomes blank by that wall lol 

Definitely love exploring! About the knowlede, I'm almost done with it, so I guess I pretty much know it all?! LOL (just hit 464 energy last night!)

1 person likes this

Posted

Honestly, the exploration is one of the best things done in this game from any MMO I have played.. hands down. Amazing job. The views?! Holy crap.

Love the ocean during sunset or sunrise.. the mist is -----ing amazing. First time I fished out in the open ocean I remember telling my friend they have to experience it because it's awesome. It's very real like it's scary how good it is.

My biggest question regarding this issue is what Land am I seeing east of Arehaza Town? Is that the west coast of Epheria? Is it new land?

I'm assuming I am seeing the West Side of Epheria port, but wanted to make sure. Tried to sail there but hit an invisible wall. Actually the minimap becomes blank by that wall lol 

Definitely love exploring! About the knowlede, I'm almost done with it, so I guess I pretty much know it all?! LOL (just hit 464 energy last night!)

We're glad to hear you love exploring too, it's honestly one of my favorite parts of the game as well! I'll just leave a little tidbit of information here as well, there are some very interesting places you can find in the game world. Some of them may even contain knowledge and other interesting goodies so be sure to keep an eye out while you're out there!

1 person likes this

Posted

we need more threads like this... too much hate around here <3

Posted

It's likely that it is a new continent.

Assuming it is a square world, the invisible wall you hit is at +14150 coordinate to the east, whereas the leftmost spot (in Kamasylve) is at roughly -6300 coordinates. The continent is too close for it to be the west side of Kamasylve, especially as they extended the worldmap further west with the introduction of Port Ratt in the north (No idea what that whole continent is actually called)

I'm guessing the world is round because it is vaguely earth like overall. But realize we only see a tiny part of it. It won't look round at the scale we see. Just like a map of Europe doesn't show a round world.

The height coordinates of the water around Epheria are the same as they are east of Arehaza Town, at both places -81. If the world were to be round, the coordinates would be different. But those two places are also only 18000 meters away from each other, so it could still be round, but the total size of this world would be far too massive then for us to ever make a full round trip.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'd love exploring the ocean as well if sailing and swimming controls didn't make me want to punch myself in the d#$k

Posted

It's likely that it is a new continent.

Assuming it is a square world, the invisible wall you hit is at +14150 coordinate to the east, whereas the leftmost spot (in Kamasylve) is at roughly -6300 coordinates. The continent is too close for it to be the west side of Kamasylve, especially as they extended the worldmap further west with the introduction of Port Ratt in the north (No idea what that whole continent is actually called)

The height coordinates of the water around Epheria are the same as they are east of Arehaza Town, at both places -81. If the world were to be round, the coordinates would be different. But those two places are also only 18000 meters away from each other, so it could still be round, but the total size of this world would be far too massive then for us to ever make a full round trip.

On the height, I would assume a cheat solution for faking a round world by making it a cylinder rather tan a true sphere. I.e., able to loop east-west but not go over the poles. Alternatively some games do a torroid. In both cases they model a flat plane and let looping handle simulating the curve. Thus heights don't necessarily correlate accurately to the curve of the planet but only "above sea level". 

On earth the Atlantic and pacific are not at the same absolute altitude. At the Panama Canal sea level on the pacific is 20cm higher than the Atlantic, but tides are more extreme and the max difference can be over 20 feet higher in the pacific. I've never seen a game model anything close to this.

Posted

got scared for a second and thought someone had the audacity to bring the flat earth theory into the forums

Phew....dodged a bullet there.

Posted

So a CM , a GM, and a Volunteer mod all walk into a thread.... 

Im not funny someone make a joke.

1 person likes this

Posted

The GM says to the CM, "Can you believe that volunteer, He thinks he can do our job better than us"

Wait I'm not that funny either someone else make a joke.....

Posted

The GM says to the CM, "Can you believe that volunteer, He thinks he can do our job better than us"

Wait I'm not that funny either someone else make a joke.....

do we get a compensation ?

Posted

The world seems round, as you can see by zooming out completely in the world map and tilting the camera.

But whatever you see, it's not the western coast.

Btw, far in the north east of the map there are also some more mountains. Could as well be just some leftovers from the heighmap generation, who knows.

Posted

What type of computer sings?

Posted

What type of computer sings?

I know, I know. A Potatoe about to overheat and blow up.

Posted

I know, I know. A Potatoe about to overheat and blow up.

*buzzersound* EHHHH! WRONG. A DELL. get it?? xD 

2 people like this

Posted

*buzzersound* EHHHH! WRONG. A DELL. get it?? xD 

BADUMSHUM

Posted (edited)

Real world is spherical. Virtual world depends on INSTANCE.xBoundaries and INSTANCE.yBoundaries.

Edited by Nerevarine

Posted

Ha! No one expects... the GM? I really need someone to follow me around with coconuts :(

Personally, I often plan to go and finish a few more quests, and then end up sitting on a rock in some remote place, because I've been running for too long and that little stream was just too hypnotizing, or I have to go looking for my cats, those beasts always wind up in some trouble!

Also, if you happen to be exploring edges of the map again, please don't mind those elephants and the turtle, they really don't like to be disturbed.

1 person likes this

Posted

Ha! No one expects... the GM? I really need someone to follow me around with coconuts :(

Personally, I often plan to go and finish a few more quests, and then end up sitting on a rock in some remote place, because I've been running for too long and that little stream was just too hypnotizing, or I have to go looking for my cats, those beasts always wind up in some trouble!

Also, if you happen to be exploring edges of the map again, please don't mind those elephants and the turtle, they really don't like to be disturbed.

I actually achieved this :C.. well not so much the edge but through the floor. All I found was death and the option to respawn at town or node :C. (details in both off topic and bug reporting section by Harambe btw~)

Posted

What is under the turtle?

Ha you can't trick me, it's turtles all the way down!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

BDO team is a bunch of flat earthers **confirmed** in current year of the meme praise kek

Edited by iller