• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

New hope for BDO engine ?

46 posts in this topic

Posted

Like u know Pearl Abyss wanna go together with Silicon Studio. Silicon Studio was implemented Vulkan API to Xenko game engine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ2p982cZFc . Hope that ,  that BDO will be get a lot of this when they rewrite software :)

5 people like this

Posted

Don´t get exactly what you´re saying. But I heard that they just started to work together with a studio to fix their engine. 

Posted

it is exciting.. More optimization is always better.

1 person likes this

Posted

That would be amazing if they would start using it. The engine needs an upgrade so we can finally go into battle without low fps due to engine taking a ton of your cpu performance

2 people like this

Posted

That would be amazing if they would start using it. The engine needs an upgrade so we can finally go into battle without low fps due to engine taking only 15% of your cpu performance

Fixed it for you ;)

2 people like this

Posted

In terms of graphics the game is more than fine but in terms of optimization it needs more than some!

Posted

Their engine is not quite new, and seems is more and more in conflict with the new drivers. People complaining about crashing, video cards reaching high temps, etc. Solution can be anywhere, from user to user, but here we speak of few million $ company. So I sees this more like a fix, than an improvement or something completely new. The game has a good appearance, but is almost falling like a house of cards. So let's hope for good.

Posted (edited)

Don´t get exactly what you´re saying. But I heard that they just started to work together with a studio to fix their engine. 

We were discussing the complexities of that in this thread:  http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/118808-answer-about-large-player-low-fps/&page=1

Sorry, there is no short version.  The fact this game must be backwards compatible to Direct 9.0c and wasn't built for true 64bit ...means that all of its processes suffer exponential redundant bottlenecking the more player characters are in range.  (it's not Multithreading as efficiently as it could be)

Edited by iller

Posted

Any engine improvement is a good thing........ but I am quite happy with current engine .... what I need is more grind content!

Posted

Holy ----- yes that's exactly what we need! They should add a Vulkan rendering path ASAP! That would fix most performance problems at world bosses or cities!

Posted

I think they could fix 90% of issues by removing the spam of parked horses and boats. Think of the wasted pixels, poor things!

...not that, that would fix large scale battles,...but would make towns and ports more pretty *shugs*

Posted

I think they could fix 90% of issues by removing the spam of parked horses and boats. Think of the wasted pixels, poor things!

...not that, that would fix large scale battles,...but would make towns and ports more pretty *shugs*

I love the huge influx of boats and horses in town actually. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Like u know Pearl Abyss wanna go together with Silicon Studio. Silicon Studio was implemented Vulkan API to Xenko game engine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ2p982cZFc . Hope that ,  that BDO will be get a lot of this when they rewrite software :)

I can;t see that happening considering they use a third party engine and it would be a completely new engine.

That would be amazing if they would start using it. The engine needs an upgrade so we can finally go into battle without low fps due to engine taking a ton of your cpu performance

The only way you could optimise it is to bring in ugly sliders. With BDO graphics fidelity there's no way you'll get super smooth fps in very busy encounters.

Posted

I love the huge influx of boats and horses in town actually. 

I love to see the activity, just dislike seeing numbers of boats/horses right on top of each other so they all look ugly and completely block access to the dock/warehouse/etc. Plus I hate moving through objects...just pet peeves tho :)

Posted

Hope that ,  that BDO will be get a lot of this when they rewrite software :)

Are you really naïve enough to think that they will rewrite their code at this point? They said bdo may benefit from future collaboration.

Posted

MMOs, especially big budget ones have development times of 5-3yrs, the engine is more or less a black box at this point. Very little will be spent on it outside some optimizations.

Any significant benchmarks are use on new projects that's another 3yrs off from now.

1 person likes this

Posted

It always makes me smile when somebody mentions that a game isn't taking advantage of 64 bit processing correctly, and as a result is only using a fraction of a processors power.

I feel like I've been hearing that excuse for more than a decade. So, when one is programming for the console market (of last gen) I understand entirely. What's the excuse this time though?

Posted

It always makes me smile when somebody mentions that a game isn't taking advantage of 64 bit processing correctly, and as a result is only using a fraction of a processors power.

I feel like I've been hearing that excuse for more than a decade. So, when one is programming for the console market (of last gen) I understand entirely. What's the excuse this time though?

When you think about how old some people's computers are it's not that great a leap. If we look at how long it took to kill of Windows XP properly.

The fact is that any new fancy processor feature will not be used by most people for years due to how long it takes to adopt it due to compatibility; a gift and a curse. Most 64 bit clients are probably modifications of the 32 bit client. We're only now seeing new games thata re 64 bit only so can take advantages of the lesser known features of x64 processors.

Posted

If we look at how long it took to kill of Windows XP properly.

Win XP was a beast compared to other versions of windows. It was the reigning champ from 01-07 when vista came out and sucked, so folks skiped that version and waited till 09 when win7 came out. 8-9 years of being the default OS is hard to overcome. The last 4 versions came out a few years apart.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

It would appear they only licensed the Yebis middleware, which is focused on proper DOF and other lens effects. Which the game actually can make good use of, since that DOF when you turn off the HUD is ridiculous and the implementation of many glare fx often comes off as buggy.

Edited by siluro8x8

Posted

I can;t see that happening considering they use a third party engine and it would be a completely new engine.

The only way you could optimise it is to bring in ugly sliders. With BDO graphics fidelity there's no way you'll get super smooth fps in very busy encounters.

BDO uses a proprietary engine called the Black Desert Engine, developed in-house by Pearl Abyss.

Try again.

Posted

Any engine improvement is a good thing........ but I am quite happy with current engine .... what I need is more grind content!

Maybe some areas don't have sufficient mob density because the engine cannot perform adequately when densities are boosted.

Posted

Very exciting news! With Vulkan support they could make their engine more optimized en perhaps we could see better optimizations in the future. 

If I'm not mistaking Vulkan provides a decent boost to the GPU right? 

Posted

Very exciting news! With Vulkan support they could make their engine more optimized en perhaps we could see better optimizations in the future. 

If I'm not mistaking Vulkan provides a decent boost to the GPU right? 

If your GPU is AMD then yes, nVidia not so much.

But again - they are not adding Vulkan support to the game. They're adding a postprocessing fx package made by SS.

1 person likes this