• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

New hope for BDO engine ?

46 posts in this topic

Posted

BDO uses a proprietary engine called the Black Desert Engine, developed in-house by Pearl Abyss.

Try again.

Whether it's a third party engine or one made in house it doesn't dismiss the fact it would need significant work on it. No matter the engine MMOs just can't cope with lots of players and with the higher graphics of BDO it's even harder

Posted

Whether it's a third party engine or one made in house it doesn't dismiss the fact it would need significant work on it. No matter the engine MMOs just can't cope with lots of players and with the higher graphics of BDO it's even harder

Yes I'm not dismissing that it would require a lot of work, but with an in-house engine it's more likely they can do some significant improvements on core systems because the guys who coded the engine are there to work with the guys doing the optimizations.

And I'll have to disagree. Camelot Unchained engine works just fine with lots of players, but that's probably because the engine was built from ground up to handle large amounts of players. BDO engine is built to look really good and to have a very engaging combat system. As a result, it might well be much more difficult to optimize.

Nevertheless, at the moment it seems the engine is using a lot of CPU cycles while still not being effectively able to run on multiple CPU cores. The end result is most CPUs will be the bottleneck when a lot of players are around. This is something that could very well be optimized a lot if using Vulcan or another near-bare-metal API.

Posted

It's not "optimizing" when you change the API of your engine, that's like rewriting it completely.

Especially multithreading is nothing that you can just put on top of something, it's pretty complicated.

Maybe in Black Desert 2.

Posted

It's not "optimizing" when you change the API of your engine, that's like rewriting it completely.

Especially multithreading is nothing that you can just put on top of something, it's pretty complicated.

Maybe in Black Desert 2.

With the amount of issues it has, as well as how long the game will be around ie that it's still being released and will probably have expansions for a good bunch of years, it would honestly be best to just get it over with. Do it now. Bring back players who left because of the pop in, etc.

2 people like this

Posted

With the amount of issues it has, as well as how long the game will be around ie that it's still being released and will probably have expansions for a good bunch of years, it would honestly be best to just get it over with. Do it now. Bring back players who left because of the pop in, etc.

Im not sure why hes speaking as if MMO sequels are a cmmon thing.  This game is designed around long term investment, so im sure they plan on keepng it alive for years to come.

1 person likes this

Posted

As someone mentioned. The option to turn off other players. Or at least make them appear as black shadows. The game performs pretty well, until you enter an area filled with other players. For people not running on a 1080. It becomes a challenge for most gpus.

Another option is to give us more channels. Or instanced channels. Because you try to look for that deserted channel so you can run through Heidel without fps drops. But there are just so many crowded channels

Posted (edited)

BDO uses a proprietary engine called the Black Desert Engine, developed in-house by Pearl Abyss.

Try again.

That's true, but it was also rumored to have been heavily based on  (read: back engineered from...)  another more popular Engine (no, not unreal, that other one) that wasn't necessarily MMORPG but more for single player & Lobby-based games.  Irregardless, it could still benefit a lot from Vulkan which effectively bypasses most of the irresponsible garbage that Microsoft setup with their inferior history of DirectX 32-bit bloatware (M$ has CONTEMPT for us Gamers...they've demonstrated it time and again whenever some other stupid electronics fad is dangled in front of them)

And I'll have to disagree. Camelot Unchained engine works just fine with lots of players, but that's probably because the engine was built from ground up to handle large amounts of players.

Agreed.   Infact I'd take it a step further and say my Favorite thing about CU as soon as I saw it was how barebones the Playermodels looked.  It told me right from the start:  "These folks are SERIOUS about making a GVG game designed to actually BE a GVG game first and foremost" and not just another Over-Budgeted but limited functionality Smacktalking Chatroom with short lived clunky avatar battle simulations that feel like 15fps quicktime events

Edited by iller

Posted

Bring back players who left because of the pop in, etc.

That's another thing that you can't just fix easily. Seamless huge open worlds require streamloading of content on the fly. I like it that way more and live with some popups (that I don't even notice anymore), than a game that is "loading levels". 

Posted

I'd be so happy with better optimization.

But new engine, with even better graphics, that is also optimized would be AMAZING :D

Posted (edited)

Bring back players who left because of the pop in, etc.

^ True story. I told so many friends about BDO, but the pop-in drove them away.

BDO has really really bad world graphics between the pop-in and the flickering in trees, etc. It looks like it was never optimized.  

Edited by Vorkrunne

Posted

^ True story. I told so many friends about BDO, but the pop-in drove them away.

BDO has really really bad world graphics between the pop-in and the flickering in trees, etc. It looks like it was never optimized.  

Yup, same with my friends. It's gotten worse with every patch too.

1 person likes this

Posted

Most of the times, optimization comes with customization.

1. "Show other players in their default robes" 
  2. "Automatically recover horse/wagon into stables when entering towns/hub"

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Most of the times, optimization comes with customization.

1. "Show other players in their default robes" 
  2. "Automatically recover horse/wagon into stables when entering towns/hub"

That first option is used in a lot of crowded MMORPG's and seems to work. But can be annoying in nodewars, everyone looks the same except for the the name colours. Overall not a bad idea for cities that are too crowded though.

The second option is gonna mess up a lot in this game. First off: a lot of people auto loop in cities because of the afk killing that went on a few months back. Autoloopers would get killed outside of safe zones. In other words, if you auto recover, players will have to get out of the cities, no big deal. But the problem is: these auto killers will come back and a lot of breeders will stop breeding because of this. Second: trading gets done by wagon's/horses by a lot of people. Auto recovering in town/hub will result in wagons/horses being unable to deliver their goods to the trade manager. Players will a: have to unload and load their own character, resulting in walking back and forth slowly multiple times and b: players that do trading at the moment will stop because of the hassle of unloading and loading their wagon and character.

Edited by Miyumi

Posted

For trading in cities: PA should simply allow us to have our horse and/or wagon inventory open when at the trader or warehouse, regardless of having them 1 step away or a mile.

For autolooping: yeah, that's a good point but how about they triple the horse exp gain and get rid of that silly afk activity ? So we can train horses when simply playing the damn game ? Or they could allow our workers to train the horses. 

Can't understand the nodewars issue with players in their default robes... 

1 person likes this

Posted

There is no hope tbh, alot of the issues with the game are caused by lag/ desync. The entire games been designed around very high speed internet which we in the EU/US dont have so much. Korean Internet is leagues ahead of ours and we wont catch up any time soon.

Posted

The only Thing i can say is they should just have an engine like crysis xD i know i wouldn't work but damnit i want those graphics xD

Posted

The only Thing i can say is they should just have an engine like crysis xD i know i wouldn't work but damnit i want those graphics xD

That engine has been proven to be a challenge to use in an MMO. And that company has been faltering for a long time. They made a custom engine for a good reason, just unfortunate they made some of the decisions they did. They compromises they thought were OK, were not so good for some of us.

Like the flickering shadows, trees and grass. Yuck.

Posted

that would be awesome

Posted

I'd never really looked into Star Citizen's Engine. Something that well-developed with support from Amazon as a whole and already tied into AWS? Yes please! I'm not sure how it will handle massive, massive player meetups/battles, but it seems to deal with large scale, player-effected maps pretty well from what I've seen. That's pretty sexy.

Posted

The engine silicon is doing deals more with shading and light/ shadow effects I believe than overall graphics, but they are most likely will help out with everything for better overall settings and maybe the HIGH END mode will not be a MEH button

Maybe in Black Desert 2.

Huh? They can overhaul the engine with out making a BDO2 lol

AION had a graphics overhaul and engine update back when it had "high end graphics" compare to other MMO's

With Black Desert they could technically do what AION did and when you switch on HIGH END mode it would switch to the new engine

1 person likes this