• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

old totem of the sea Totem Results - Post Your Results Here

47 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey guys here's a thread to post your results trying to level these confounded Totems. Post your results in a comment and edit it as you progress.

***[Old] Totem of the Sea RAY***

Fails: 80%/80%/126%/80%/150%/150%/150%/150%/150%

***New [Old] Totem of the Sea***

Fails: 126%/150%

***SUCCESSFUL 150% Green Tier [Old] Totem of the Sea*** 

Fails: 143%/146%/146%/150%/149%

***New [Plain] Totem of the Sea***(What is interesting about this, is it now takes 2x the EXP to level. This can also happen to you on your Tier 1 Totems)

Fails: 150%/150%/150%/150%/149.89%/150%/150%/150%/150%/150%/150%

EDITED WITH EACH ATTEMPT

Edited by Vandesco
Update

Posted

just fails

Posted

Sadly I have even using a totem since day one.  Originally the Beltfish one.  I stopped counting at 17 fails.

I usually attempt an upgrade 2 of every 3 days since the merge.  So far all have been fails.  5 so far.

Posted

Sadly I have even using a totem since day one.  Originally the Beltfish one.  I stopped counting at 17 fails.

I usually attempt an upgrade 2 of every 3 days since the merge.  So far all have been fails.  5 so far.

all at 150%?

Posted

Whats a totem?, is it something you kill mobs with?

Posted (edited)

Whats a totem?, is it something you kill mobs with?

Old Totem of the Sea

Results so far

All attempts at 80% or soon after (as I never found much advantage in success  with Alchemy Stones in pushing the %higher)

Old Totem of the Sea > Plain Totem of the Sea (white quality) success on 6th attempt.

Current:

Plain Totem of the Sea > Hard Totem of the Sea - 7th fail currently

When the level of the totem goes up, the EXP gained per fish caught is halved i.e. For a yellow quality fish at Old level = + 0.25% EXP. For a yellow quality fish at Plain level = + 0.12-13% EXP. 

I assume it will halve again at Hard level.

The Level of the totem is reflected in it's name: Old > Plain > Hard > Refined > Resplendent > Sacred. Higher level increases the Movement Speed buff.

The Quality (white > green > blue > yellow) adds other buffs such as Turn, Acceleration, Weight.

Either Level and/ or Quality can upgrade separately on success or with a small chance, the totem can upgrade both level and quality. The quality makes no difference to the EXP earned, only totem level.

Like alchemy stones the totem can lose a level at higher levels (probably the highest two but not confirmed). Unlike the alchemy stones there appears (from the relevant item tooltips) to be no chance that the totem will be destroyed at any level attempt (alchemy stones have two additional levels at the highest end). However this hasn't been confirmed but appears implied from the item tooltips.

Other results I have seem reported for Old > Plain were 2nd, 4th, 6th, 24th attempts.

Needless to say the totem appears to work in a similar manner to Alchemy Stone levelling with the same wide range of RNG results and also potentially long runs of fails, or first time success.

I also assume that the chance to success diminishes the higher the level along with the lower EXP gain but not sure myself.

This should be seen as a mid-long term project. Given that we gain EXP through simply fishing however, unlike alchemy stones which require farmed crops or gathered/ purchased materials, at least it doesn;t cost the fisher anything and is more a chance to buff the otem as we fish normally.

The totem will only fit the Fishing Boat and wont fit the new ship or galley.

The advantage of how the totem works now is that it doesn't replace the existing prow (which can be enhanced up to +10), therefore any gain is in addition to this.

Finally, there is a rumour that sacrificing many sheep at Lynch Range while naked, appears to appease the Totem gods and increase the success level. This may very well be the rantings of a obsessed fisher who faced the wrath of the RNG gods long ago and became lost in the misty seas of history, so players are warned to take such tales with a grain of salt, literally.

GL with the totems.

Edited by Moonraker
8 people like this

Posted

0/12 so far.  All attempts over 100%, I'd say half of them at 150%  I'm gonna start keeping better track, this is yet another discouraging mechanic lol.  Better than the old ones though I guess.

Posted

New boat > Fishing boat

Therefore no need to level up a totem. Thanks for making me aware of this.

1 person likes this

Posted

Can these totems still be equipped on the boats that arrive with next patch?

Posted

probably not. new gear green and blue quality will be availble for the epheria boat.

Posted

I had heard they do have a slot on the new boats 

Posted (edited)

I had heard they do have a slot on the new boats 

There is no totem slot in the Epheria Sailboat UI window in the current KR version, so unlikely they will add it to our version. See this image of the window. It shows a slot of the prow but not a totem like on the Fishing Boat.

The ship will have skills as you can see from the window image which are, I believe, related to the navigation skill in some way. Also, there are four NPCs from who you can hire a Sailor worker (requires 500 amity to open dialogue)  to work on your ship to provide certain buffs. Only one at a time I understand. So there are other ways, along with ship items to buff the sailboat.

bdo-epheria sailboat-window.png

Edited by Moonraker
3 people like this

Posted

all at 150%?

Oh no.  I attempt to upgrade at anything over 80%.  There have been a couple at 150%, but that was only because I forgot to attempt to upgrade it, and when I remembered, it was full.  By the way, I attempted again today at 94% and if failed....again....

Posted

failed 6 times in a row, waste of blackstones

Posted

Oh no.  I attempt to upgrade at anything over 80%.  There have been a couple at 150%, but that was only because I forgot to attempt to upgrade it, and when I remembered, it was full.  By the way, I attempted again today at 94% and if failed....again....

Dude... 17 beltfish fails!? Where were you harpooning?

Posted

Dude... 17 beltfish fails!? Where were you harpooning?

No harpooning.  I just fished on the cliffs by Cron Castle.  Always AFK fished overnight, and some days of active fishing.  There was no shortage of beltfish there.  Remember, that was almost 8 months of fishing.

Posted

Ugh ffs, how did I think this would not happen.  Had my totem at 6% speed and 250 weight, went to do my 1st try and get the pop up THIS SH!T CAN DEGRADE, and sure enough I failed the enchant, 4 200 now  =/ This game man, this game.

Posted

Ugh ffs, how did I think this would not happen.  Had my totem at 6% speed and 250 weight, went to do my 1st try and get the pop up THIS SH!T CAN DEGRADE, and sure enough I failed the enchant, 4 200 now  =/ This game man, this game.

What % did you attempt tge upgrade at?

No harpooning.  I just fished on the cliffs by Cron Castle.  Always AFK fished overnight, and some days of active fishing.  There was no shortage of beltfish there.  Remember, that was almost 8 months of fishing.

Good lord dude.... Were the rare fish decent at that spot?

Posted

Was at 150% for that upgrade, still salty these things can degrade  ><

Posted

What % did you attempt tge upgrade at?

Good lord dude.... Were the rare fish decent at that spot?

Beltfish?  They are Green.  By the way, finally got the totem to upgrade for the first time.  27th attempt.  Was at 114.xx% when it popped.

Posted (edited)

Old Totem of the Sea

The advantage of how the totem works now is that it doesn't replace the existing prow (which can be enhanced up to +10), therefore any gain is in addition to this.

Thanks for all this. Sorry to hear about the failures rate.

I have some questions:

1. Can you confirm the effect is additive?

2. I haven't seen any figures for percent speed increases with the two methods. Do you know whether there are any?

3. Also I have heard that you don't have to stand on the boat for your fishing EXP to count. While standing near the boat, is it only your EXP that counts or do other fishers nearby contribute.

4. What sort of speed do you need to make it effective for whaling.

5. Removed this question.....as I have discovered you can remove the prow and the totem from the boat by right clicking them so they can put onto another one.

6. If the hold is empty and you do remote collection, is there any change to the lifespan. Ie can I avoid the wear and tear of the return journey from whaling by swimming back and paying for remote collection?

Edited by Ambersand
Discovered answer to one question

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all this. Sorry to hear about the failures rate.

I have some questions:

1. Can you confirm the effect is additive?

2. I haven't seen any figures for percent speed increases with the two methods. Do you know whether there are any?

3. Also I have heard that you don't have to stand on the boat for your fishing EXP to count. While standing near the boat, is it only your EXP that counts or do other fishers nearby contribute.

4. What sort of speed do you need to make it effective for whaling.

5. Removed this question.....as I have discovered you can remove the prow and the totem from the boat by right clicking them so they can put onto another one.

6. If the hold is empty and you do remote collection, is there any change to the lifespan. Ie can I avoid the wear and tear of the return journey from whaling by swimming back and paying for remote collection?

No sorries required, it's just totem RNG :)

1. Yes

2. Not really. I have done some timing tests over a fixed distance (using auto-route marker) and it is discernible but hard to be precise because the differences are small %. There is a difference in base speed of different craft such as raft > row boat > fishing boat as there is with donkey > wagon > horse at 100% base but no actual speed given. You could check over a set distance (say 1000 metres to get better average).

3. Only your fishing catches count not other fishers. The distance is close to the boat being up to say a few paces away.

4. Can't answer that as I don't hunt whales. A fishing boat will work it's just the buffed speed will add say 10% speed will just allow the boat to maintain range of the whale. There is little competition for whales these days from what I see.

5. -

6. Remote collection doesn't reduce boat Lifespan. Nor does sailing using the auto-run key without a route set. It is a bit slower than normal sprint sailing but uses no Lifespan as an option. Just point in the direction you wish to go and use it.

As an update I am on my 10th fail on Plain >Hard totem. Old > Plain on 6th attempt.

Edited by Moonraker
3 people like this

Posted

Thanks for the answers.

Interesting that auto-run doesn't decrease a boat's lifespan.

Sorry to hear about the fails with the totem. I suppose with totems, it's a bit like failstacking with gear enhancements but as there is no equivalent loss of durability with failures and ability to use similar equipment to restore that lost durability via a blacksmith, they needed an experience loss to achieve a parallel effect.

I wonder if there are other similarities to gear enhancement. Ie Failstacking and whether these carry across from what is happening in that sphere.

Are you enhancing weapons, armor and accessories around the same time? Is it possible that a current failstack there carries across to totems?

Posted

Thanks for the answers.

Interesting that auto-run doesn't decrease a boat's lifespan.

Sorry to hear about the fails with the totem. I suppose with totems, it's a bit like failstacking with gear enhancements but as there is no equivalent loss of durability with failures and ability to use similar equipment to restore that lost durability via a blacksmith, they needed an experience loss to achieve a parallel effect.

I wonder if there are other similarities to gear enhancement. Ie Failstacking and whether these carry across from what is happening in that sphere.

Are you enhancing weapons, armor and accessories around the same time? Is it possible that a current failstack there carries across to totems?

The totem works like the alchemy stones do i.e. you lose 50% of level on fail and 100% on success and very variable rng involved. Nothing new with it. It doesn;t work like weapons etc. and no failsafe. Just levelling and attempts.

Auto-run does use Lifespan. Using the key with no route set doesn't.

3 people like this

Posted

Does it just use 1 stone per attempt even if you put more in the slot?