• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Black Desert GPU Downclocking

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

After today, black desert randomly downclocks my GPU from 1999mhz to 993 or 1607, this causes me quite a big FPS loss. Relaunching the game fixes it for around an hour. Any ideas?

High end mode keeps the clocks at 1999mhz and actually gets me higher FPS because of it

Edited by Catclaw

Posted

PC specs? Possible memory leak..not enough details.

Posted

2X 1080, 4770K @ 4.6Ghz, 16 GB 2400Mhz ram

Posted

Impossible. The game client does not have the authority or programmed ability to interact with other software necessary to change the clock and voltage settings of your hardware.  You need to check your driver and driver software.

Posted

Impossible. The game client does not have the authority or programmed ability to interact with other software necessary to change the clock and voltage settings of your hardware.  You need to check your driver and driver software.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe bad drivers and or hardware conflict. I really doubt the game will do that. The most the game can have that will affect hardware is a memory leak, But nothing to the extent of changing clock speeds on MEM or CPU/GPU.

Posted

It's thermal safety. Check your temperatures, use something like hwmonitor. Easy fix is to blow the dust out from your fans/heat sink.

1 person likes this

Posted

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe bad drivers and or hardware conflict. I really doubt the game will do that. The most the game can have that will affect hardware is a memory leak, But nothing to the extent of changing clock speeds on MEM or CPU/GPU.

the game client does not even have memory leaks. those are due to incorrect settings in Windows itself, not the client, and its an easy fix

Posted (edited)

It's thermal safety. Check your temperatures, use something like hwmonitor. Easy fix is to blow the dust out from your fans/heat sink.

This one.

You are probably encountering thermal throttling which regulate your clock/power consumption in regards to your GPU temperature.

You can try to undervolt, use a better cooling solution, clean your pc, set up a better fan curve, etc to try to avoid that issue.

EDIT : Woops didn't see that you were able to keep a stable clock speed with high-end on. Can't really help then.

Edited by WeaselPaw

Posted

is this when you first log into the game? 

when i launch bdo, i always get ~10 fps, though ive never checked what my gpu clock is doing 

my process for playing bdo is: turn on pc>launch bdo>close bdo>restart pc>launch bdo>play game

Posted

EDIT : Woops didn't see that you were able to keep a stable clock speed with high-end on. Can't really help then.

In a balanced system you will use CPU and GPU similarly. Without high end I am guessing that CPU is the bottleneck and so gets hot running at gull utilisation, then starts to down-clock to protect itself. Turn high-end on and the GPU may become the bottleneck and CPU not reaching full utilisation so it's happy to stay at full speed.

HWMonitor will tell you, and it's never a bad thing to clean the dust monster out of  you heat sinks, fans and grills.

Posted (edited)

In a balanced system you will use CPU and GPU similarly. Without high end I am guessing that CPU is the bottleneck and so gets hot running at gull utilisation, then starts to down-clock to protect itself. Turn high-end on and the GPU may become the bottleneck and CPU not reaching full utilisation so it's happy to stay at full speed.

HWMonitor will tell you, and it's never a bad thing to clean the dust monster out of  you heat sinks, fans and grills.

That's true, it could explain the stable clock on high-end mode..

Edited by WeaselPaw

Posted

What's your fps? And is your monitor have Gsync?

Posted

Posted

I have a very similar setup, but with a lot more RAM. I'd say this as well. I also have a crapton of fans and liquid cooling in my setup, my temps are fairly cool. (low 50s under load, GPU fans rarely kick on).

Posted

my GPU wont clock down when game is minimsed, anyone knows the resaon? it stays over 5ght and 55+ C°

Posted

Depois de hoje, deserto preto downclocks aleatoriamente meu GPU de 1999mhz para 993 ou 1607, isso me causa uma grande perda de FPS. O relançamento do jogo o fixa por cerca de uma hora. Alguma ideia?

Modo high-end mantém os relógios em 1999mhz e realmente me deixa maior FPS por causa disso

I have the same problem and my temperatures are low, updated drives. In other games my gpu is always 100% clocked in 1200 full time.

If someone can help ...

Posted

This is the most likely answer. Could well be that something in the patch is causing the game to be more resource intensive and pushing your GPU harder, causing it to overheat and underclock to preserve itself, or it could be a coincidence that dust buildup is just now surfacing as a problem.

Either way, this is a great place to start.

Posted

Power management > prefer high performance.

Posted (edited)

Could be the marketplace bug which is still affecting many players ... 

If you are stuttering or "lagging", try opening the world map up in the game. Next, open the marketplace in the bottom right corner. Lastly, click 'X' in the top right corner to close the marketplace. See if you notice a difference now!

EDIT: It will come back every time you use the marketplace, particularly when you search for an item so just repeat the above solution!

Edited by Tash

Posted

is this when you first log into the game? 

when i launch bdo, i always get ~10 fps, though ive never checked what my gpu clock is doing 

my process for playing bdo is: turn on pc>launch bdo>close bdo>restart pc>launch bdo>play game

Try this it works for me, launch BDO -> when you in game check settings fullscreen or the other way fullscreen windowed apply after it ask with a little window "apply the settings bla bla" then press ESC button.

Posted

I have an ASUS ROG 750 JX  and as I was trying to get a bit more FPS I observed this :

Currently my game runs at arround 30 - 40 fps on medium settings and I was trying to get a bit more for larger battles and stuff. I downloaded the ASUS GPU TWEAK II and increased the frequency of the memory with arround 20%. Before and after this change I made sure that I actually gain some performance by running the Valley Benchmark and I was able to get some more points so I though - ok this should give some effect. 

The memory on GPU normally runs at approximately 4010 MHz and I increased it to 4800 MHz and I kept the moniting of temperature open to see if it will reach something critical and go into throtling down or overheating. Anyways running perfectly fine at 4800MHz for 1 hour with keeping temp at 60 -65 degrees with couple of spikes to 71. Still another 20 degrees to critical according to the vendor. That was done in the Valley Benchmark to check stability.

After that I started BDO and I saw that memory ran at 4800MHz, I probably got some fps but I didn't see a significant difference, however after 10 minutes of playing the game, FPS does a massive drop and starts running at 16fps. When I check the memory it says it runs at 1600 MHz. Temperature is at 35 degrees and during these 10 minutes of running overclocked it didnt spike over 60 degrees. The settings on the NVidia control panel are for maximum performance, not adaptive. However I also noticed that for some reason the game downclocks my memory frequency leading to crappy performance. Even after restart of the game the GPU memory doesnt go above that. Only reboot fixes it. But then again 10 minutes and performance goes to shit. 

So I reverted all the changes back to normal and the game runs all the time normally at 4010 MHz Memory. 

No idea what causes this dropdown but its definately not overheating and its happening only in BDO. So I observed something similar to what the OP said. I've tried to see if I get similar effect with other games but they run normally at 4800MHz without ever downclocking. It is really bizzare if you ask me.

Posted

Babbling some buzzwords you found in the forums without actually know at all what they mean... FTW :)

Memory leak leading to "downclocking GPU", hilarious.