• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

How to make BDO a WoW-killer

77 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey folks,

Let's get right to it! BDO has lot's of content... Hiding somewhere behind lot's and lot's of boring NPC talk.  And everybody knows there is lore and story behind the setting of BDO but it just doesn't show, you have to actively search for it.

And as most of us will agree upon, long searching for the lore and story in an MMORPG-sandbox doesn't actually help players to bond with the world.  The motto of "The New World" is quiet cynical: "A world every player can call it's home" but what does that "home" mean, when you don't have a clue on what's going on in the world?  I value the efforts of the devs for updating this game in an insane fast way, I do, but they should focus on more than just new area's and awakenings...

The feeling I have amongst many other players is that you can do like a lot of things in BDO but there is no point in doing them unless you want to be the best crafter, do endless pvp, grinding mobs, have the best gear, reach way beyond your awakening.... A lot of those listed things you can do in other games, games that are too superficial.

I have some ideas/concepts that might make players bond more with the BDO world:

1. A lot of NPC's are too stationairy is one of the first problems I want to tackle. I know it is quiet demanding of pc's but please make NPC's do more than just wave or some emote, let them walk around, carry out their jobs, "talk to other NPC's. I know there are NPC's who already travel and do other "tasks" but not quiet enough. Look at skyrim, for example that maid at the forge, in the noon she was forgeing weapons, at another point in the day she was in her shop, at night in her bed,.... Or the witcher for example, with it's breathing world, NPC's do stuff, they have emotions  and interesting conversations with other NPC's,...
  2. A second improvement would be more and better cut-scenes, even for side quests. In the beginning of the game there should be more explanation about the black desert (I didn't know why this game was called black desert until the valencia update came out... And still it's a weird name but that's off topic). Cut-scenes help the players to understand why they must do there quests, what's going on in the world, what bad guys there are or wich wars there are spreading across the land. In side-quests it would be nice since some NPC's their stories will capture you and you know why you do that stuff, instead of reading every (boring) dialogue or book to get a grasp of what's going on. Cut-scenes would clarify why goblins are at a certain location and attacking those villages and cities, why you have a blackspirit folowing you what it's purpose is and if has a secret agenda or not, is that spirit evil or good for you who knows.... And yes there are people who will know the explanation for these questions, but frankly, as a player you shouldn't have to search for everything you want to know aka knowledge system...
  3. More and better dynamic events, look at Guild Wars 2 (and for some aspects to WoW and Diablo III) not the greatest game(s) in my opinion but what I did like about the game(s) is the fact that there were dynamic events on a massive scale. Not just some world bosses spawning twice a day or some whale ready to be hunted. But actually mobs attacking  villages, dosens of raids through high level area's, mob elite hunting parties on the road that "terrorize" the lands and you had to kill them to "free" the NPC's of the danger.
  4. MOST IMPORTANT: Tell a better story and make it more visible/highligted. Entice players in the BDO world to become the hero or villain what they want to be, help them to create their own story with unique expierences but try to maintain a red line in the story. The story should tell what the "black" desert is, the danger of the black spirits, where your class comes from, why your soul is linked with a black spirit, what goals you should try to achieve  (like killing a bad guys, evil mobs,...). The BDO devs will bring the players new domains/realms/area's but what is going on there, what is the story behind those new landmasse's, are there new bad guys (like sorcerers, necromancers, dragons) players need to kill to "complete" the story of those new area's? 

That being said, I hope the devs will notice this post and take their time to think about what's being said here. If they do, and they implement it in the game in a right way => then I am certain that players will bond more with the world; there will come a massive amount of new players to BDO because then there is finnaly an MMO who really differentiates itself from others by creating a gameworld where players can dive into and lose themselves, following a good story line instead of what other MMO's do ( => killing mobs = the entire game).

~ Peace Bcit out

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Dungeons and raids

more battlegrounds in different play modes

Edited by Lharast
13 people like this

Posted

Im sorry but this company does not care for BDO. If it would then it would have taken care most of the obvious problems this game has but it just doesnt. BDO has potential to be one of the best MMOs out here but sadly the game is owned by such a meh company who kills the potential.

7 people like this

Posted

Impossible, first MMOs always reserve a special place in our hearts.

1 person likes this

Posted

You put up some great points. Especially cutscenes seem to be a thing they used to do but somehow they dont do them in the higher leveled areas anymore. (Maybe im blind but to me it felt that way).  Some more active npcs is a thing i would love to see as well ^^,. 

2 people like this

Posted

----- dungeons, worst thing you can add in a mmorpg

7 people like this

Posted

Impossible, first MMOs always reserve a special place in our hearts.

Not the first MMO -_-

3 people like this

Posted

B-b-but WoW is dead game

Posted (edited)

How to make mark zuckerberg an olympic athlete, 3 easy steps.

been said since day 1.... we can only hope for the future.. currently only group content is lvl 60+ with 200ap+ minimum for effective group grinding, and there is no dungeon runs with bosses and epic fights...

so yer.. major downer :/ 

I understand that, if i feel like i must prove to myself that i still have the skill to do hard skillfull pve (stepping inside circle, outside circle, stand on a line, step outside circle) i go back to tera. Whenever i do that and its over and i start bdo again i cry when i have to upgrade gear because its a pain compared to tera (one click and u can watch your money go away to rng ^^).

On the upside lvl59 is fine to hit those and 200ap (for dps classes) very easy to reach too.

Edited by iloveKuchen

Posted

We don't need a wow killer and BDO has nothing to do with wow...

More group content would be great but dungeons? bosses? raids? If I want that I would be playing wow...

NPC too stationary? BDO has the most alive world I have ever seen in a MMO.

Cut scenes and dynamic events are annoying after you do it 2-4 times.

About the story/lore... it's there. If you don't like or you consider it's difficult to find it then it's your fault.

Making RNG less punnishing would be a better improvement IMO.

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

there is no such thing as a WoW killer

Edited by killahsin

Posted (edited)

-W5cVs.gif

Overtake WOW? You are kidding.

This game already does everything better than WOW. BDO probably the best MMO ever made. But WOW still has that nostalgia factor. Its hard for those people who still play it to break free

Edited by AlexHuaTIan
3 people like this

Posted

That will actually set it apart from the mmo world lol, only in 2017s true sandbox mmos will it be comparable. But that is a great idea, but we wont see it happen here (its a huge overhaul).Reminds me of radiata stories (2005) where when you wake up in the morning, you can see every single char in the game go to a routine from working out to walking to the store, they basically got their own routine and at night the whole village is empty. It doesnt make sense that its midnight in calpheon and the city is still populated, but they have shown that they can make scheduled npc since as you can see, the blacksmith at hidel disappears at night. 

Posted

BDO and games like it will never compete with WoW never mind kill it.

There's next to no PvE here except grind. Check the WoW forums and see how WoW players like grind and RNG.

That will actually set it apart from the mmo world lol, only in 2017s true sandbox mmos will it be comparable.

This is said with every game. It'll start like you want but they'll release that X doesn't work in reality and change it to the same as everyone and then when that doesn't work they'll add the P2W stuff.

Posted (edited)

You seem to want a themepark solo experience in a sandbox game.

Guild Wars 2 is everything BDO wants to avoid, a segregated themepark without permeability between features and modes.
Dynamic events, contrary to what Arena said in their manifesto, are not dynamic at all, they only give that illusion for the firsts times, but they're fundamentaly static. They are just public quests stacked one on the other on a predetermined timer, with an "if / so" system behind it. Arena.net even dropped them almost entirely, relying now on big meta events for open world PvE.

Putting more and more direct player centered narratives in this type of game contributes also to kill the social aspects of MMO's (the syndrom of the chosen). That's what solo RPGs are great for compared to their massively online counterparts. Even Alex Afrasiabi, the big head of WoW, admited that their way of designing content killed the social aspect, and confessed he was responsible for it.

By the way there is a lot of lore and narrative elements in BDO.
But it's not delivered in a frontal and explicite way. More like what you could see in Dark Souls series for example.
Places, people, monsters have all their own bit of stories, which viewed individually can seem trivial, but give the world and diegesis real substance when put together, without preventing the player to craft his own narrative if he wants.

Edited by Capitaine Courage
1 person likes this

Posted

Raids = world bosses

Posted

I think if they started by making NPC texts match their voiceovers, that would be a huge improvement.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Dude what is this obsession of comparing bdo to wow because seriously BDO is far better then wow.

Edited by Dalenos
5 people like this

Posted

Comparing apples to oranges again?

WoW and BDO cater to two completely different crowds.

On one hand you have WoW, that caters almost exclusively to the casual gamer. Tab targeting, almost limitless hotkey configuration, you can purchase in game currency with cash without a limit, levels are capped, etc..... Not to mention it can be run on a potato of a PC.

On the other hand you have an mmo where players have to actually compete in PvP for resources, doesn't have a level cap, requires days/weeks of grinding in order to level up and/or gear up, requires players to actually aim at their target with an active combat system ( equivalent to Witcher 3 ), has mechanics in place that prevent people from monopolizing and or abusing in game transactions ( aution house / marketplace ), and is graphically the most beautiful mmo I have ever seen.

I sincerely hope, most WoW players stay away from this title. That's one hell of a toxic community imho. Yes, even more so than this one, at least in my eyes.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Lovely how most of you seem to favor BDO and call WoW a shitty game compared to this. Is to be expewcted tho, since we're on a BDO forum... Probably few hundreds of players that play BDO are right when few millions failed to see (and yea I know that went down as hell but it's still umbeliavely high compared to BDO). The amount of work put into wow is in no way close to what these guys worked for BDO. I mostly play BDO cuz I am tired entirely of wow after years and years. The only things BDO is better at than wow is the crafting (and node network system which doesnt exist in wow), and the combat a bit (I like how you "build" combos). Except that, I like wow more on every aspect. PVE is way more complex, the graphics are getting better and better (yea it's somehow candy style, cartoon'ish, but that doesn't mean it's bad, just that some of you probably don't like the style), Way more PVP scenarios than BDO ( besides world pvp, you get shitload of arenas, battlegrounds, pvp mounts, tanks ). The lore is like...100 times more complex in pvp (so the quests also more thoughtfull, and more mechanics too if we take those into consideration). 

And a second factor that some might don't recognize: In wow, you can start having fun (pve or pvp, depends on what you like) quite fast. In BDO, you gotta grind your ass into numbness for atleast few good weeks if you want to start having fun and win some pvp or get to the juicy parts of some skills. Sure, I also like working for my stuff and feel rewarded and ahead of others (hence why I've played BDO for few months already, even spend more than 100 euro), but for a game that might be closed in 1-2 years, not sure if it's worth investing that much time for that few time of actually enjoying and winning at something.

Also, most seem to think WoW is for casuals. Sure, you can have fun playing wow even as a casual, but there are shitload of really hard things to achieve in that game too...

Edited by hawkmanlol492
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Lovely how most of you seem to favor BDO and call WoW a shitty game compared to this. Is to be expewcted tho, since we're on a BDO forum... Probably few hundreds of players that play BDO are right when few millions failed to see (and yea I know that went down as hell but it's still umbeliavely high compared to BDO). The amount of work put into wow is in no way close to what these guys worked for BDO. I mostly play BDO cuz I am tired entirely of wow after years and years. The only things BDO is better at than wow is the crafting (and node network system which doesnt exist in wow), and the combat a bit (I like how you "build" combos). Except that, I like wow more on every aspect. PVE is way more complex, the graphics are getting better and better (yea it's somehow candy style, cartoon'ish, but that doesn't mean it's bad, just that some of you probably don't like the style), Way more PVP scenarios than BDO ( besides world pvp, you get shitload of arenas, battlegrounds, pvp mounts, tanks ). The lore is like...100 times more complex in pvp (so the quests also more thoughtfull, and more mechanics too if we take those into consideration). 

And a second factor that some might don't recognize: In wow, you can start having fun (pve or pvp, depends on what you like) quite fast. In BDO, you gotta grind your ass into numbness for atleast few good weeks if you want to start having fun and win some pvp or get to the juicy parts of some skills.

Doesn't change the fact that you are comparing a RvR instance focused static themepark and a GvG openworld focused dynamic sandbox.

This is not pertinent, thus irrelevant.

If you want apples, don't buy oranges.

Edited by Capitaine Courage
2 people like this

Posted

Im sorry but this company does not care for BDO. If it would then it would have taken care most of the obvious problems this game has but it just doesnt. BDO has potential to be one of the best MMOs out here but sadly the game is owned by such a meh company who kills the potential.

It is one of the best.  The only other good ones out there right now are as much as I hate to say it.  WoW, FFXIV.

BDO is reaching top 25 on twitch pretty often now as well.

And the company does care about BDO, they have been doing alot of what we ask for.  You just have your head up your ass and think everything should be done already.

Posted

Stop crap money milking design and start add real game design instead ( yes i'am looking at you cheap  "upgrade" system made to have players by artisant memory )

1 person likes this

Posted

It's a Korean mmo. It wont ever kill anything except itself.

2 people like this

Posted

Why does the OP want to kill a already "boring to dead" MMO.....?