• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Birthdays - Do they lose value or just me?

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, my birthday was today and honestly, I feel like each birthday is getting a bit less of value. I don't get really anything for my birthday and don't mind it, as it's usually a celebration of living another year, but this year it felt like everyone kind of just forgot about it and no one really cared, and the joy of living another year doesn't feel rewarding. Does this just happen as you get older? Am I just being a little down over nothing? Idunno, honestly.

Posted

Happy birthday!

Yeah though, they're a bigger deal the younger you are.

Your only hope now is enjoying them vicariously, so hook some kids up when you get the chance!

Posted

I wish you all the best, Kitsu!

Yes, its true. You get older and birthdays are not that importand like in your childhood. But its a good reason to take a free day. :) If you are in a relationship, birthdays are still special. Not about presents, but have a good day with the person you love.

Posted

No its not you. As you get older the feeling diminishes.

Happy Bday!

Posted (edited)

It's kind of ironic isn't it?

In a way they should have more value, as you have less and less of them, and with each one you have survived more trials and struggles.  On the other hand, it's only natural that the material gain feels deminished, as you've likely become more and more financially independent and aren't as reliant on an annual windfall.

Maybe change the focus of the day to one more of self reflection and life planning, and it will have more impact as you progress through your finite journey.

Edited by LaRue

Posted

Yes, they do lose value over time.  So do Christmas presents...

This year, I find myself caring less about the gift part of Christmas and more about hanging out with my family and getting hilariously drunk.  Same with birthdays.  I care more about having dinner with my fiance and taking the day off than getting anything material.  (Besides, a day off of work is a present enough for me! :D)

Material gain diminishes in importance as people get older.  The fact of their mortality starts to become more prominent, and enjoying time with other people becomes more important.  Doing the right thing also becomes more important.

Whether or not you're religious or believe in any kind of afterlife, the fact of your mortality reveals the importance of enjoying life as it is in front of you and trying to do your best before you die. Humans naturally want to end their lives with some kind of sense of having lived a good and honorable life, so the memories and legacy they leave behind are worth remembering by others.  Over time, people learn that material goods do nothing to create that sense of a good and honorable life.  They are just things.

TLDR; It happens.  It's a natural process.

Posted (edited)

Birthday = one more year closer to death, i don't see anything to celebrate there Q_Q

#MyWorldIsDark&FullofTerror

Edited by PanpanTheGreat

Posted (edited)

Happy Birthday to you, friend.

I have no one to celebrate my birthday with, so i never celebrate them. Same goes for Christmas or New year. I don't celebrate those either. Better to forget that these days even exists than celebrating them alone.

Edited by Viktor

Posted

For me, it depends on the life situation I am in. Some birthday's it seems like it was just a somewhat regular day, while others have more meaning because of the people I am around. 

-Happy Late Birthday by the way!

Posted

Honestly Im not an unhappy person. But I just dont like birthdays. People faking smiles on you and wishing the same thing every year. Okay 18yo is a big deal but thats it.

Posted

Honestly Im not an unhappy person. But I just dont like birthdays. People faking smiles on you and wishing the same thing every year. Okay 18yo is a big deal but thats it.

I don't see it as completely fake. See, the real magic of birthday is, when someone remembers you that day by themselves, without letting people know that you have a birthday. Simply, your birthday comes and some of your friends wishes you happy birthday, because they remembered you by themselves. That's the most valuable thing for me on my birthday.

And well, it's my birthday today.

Posted

I don't see it as completely fake. See, the real magic of birthday is, when someone remembers you that day by themselves, without letting people know that you have a birthday. Simply, your birthday comes and some of your friends wishes you happy birthday, because they remembered you by themselves. That's the most valuable thing for me on my birthday.

Not wishing you a hhappy one lol

Posted

You mean those insignificant days that hinder your grinding potential? 

Posted

Late happy birthday!

I think it's most important for when we are little but... !
..it is also important for you to appreciate yourself from time to time and birthday is a good time to do that.

I think everyone would be a little sad if no one remembered to give us birthday wishes.
In a way I kinda think it's personal, everyone values different things and for birthday we probably want to have what we value the most, be it family, partner, money, time off work and other things.

For me it's very important that I feel good with myself, you cannot pour from an empty cup!

Posted

Up til' 21 birthdays usually are something nice. But after that you're usually off on your own, maybe even working on the day of, so of course the value of it decreases a lot. Even more so if you're independent at a younger age and don't frequently visit family and or are close to family after 18.

Posted

Even before I left Facebook, I had to turn off my birthday. It was unsettling watching people I barely knew suddenly "care" about me in any way. Ever since then I've been happier when my actual friends and family remember. And hell, they don't always because I never make a big deal about it :P

1 person likes this

Posted

I'll be 41 this year.

Honestly... Its just another day now.