• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why did they force us into awakening weapons?

95 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm glad to hear some classes still use a large portion of their non-awakened skills (and at the same time, feel sorry for those classes players for the skill point grind).

So the question becomes, why were some classes awakenings done "right" and some half-assed? Will they revise skill trees at some point to make weapon switching viable (and needed) for all classes?

They ain't even done right. Ninja uses both pre and post awakening skills, because on base set he got the evasive tools (Smokescreen, sap that can be used with both sets, concealment that can be used with both sets) and some skills that are almost on pair with awakening damage (Blade Spin Blade, Black Moonlight, Starflight, Malice, Shadow Clone, Shadow Stomp, at some point even Shackles is useful), so you use both for pve and pvp and this is really good when your greatest concern is the variety of a character and the fun factor, however compared to the other class it lacks of the tools to make the best out of both sets, aka superarmors or even an efficient self sustain that can make the difference, having a paper defense that on top of that makes the game hardmode because it's well known that the first who lands a CC wins and Ninja damage overall is just on pair with other class, with Serpent Ascension and the Ultimate being the only exceptions in that equation.

Meanwhile Warrior has superarmors everywhere, burning moxi that recovers SP and meanwhile gives him resistence towards all CC except grab, does more damage with all his awakened skills, from the get to go is easier to use and just a lil more harder to master if you keep track of your buffs, can engage and disengage opponents better and is tankier and generally you don't need elaborate comboes to 0-100 an opponent, so its utility in nodewars, GvG and Siege is far superior by miles. Also the base set is used only for mobility, grab and ranged CC with charging thrust or piercing spear and half of the mobility moves here described are in superarmor, that's why many have rerolled this class, because the cons are highly debatable and his strenght is absolute.

Posted

Anyway, this game isn't a story driven MMORPG. New content will mainly be about making your character stronger in combat and better at things. New regions are basically about new grind spots, new gear drops and getting a higher energy pool. Not partaking in some captivating epic journey where scenes and dialogue gives you goosebumps. That's why they "forced" us into awakenings. It's how PA makes content.

I have to disagree. There's a really strong story in BDO and it develops nicely in each expansion we've got so far. The story is just not stuck to your face like many other games. You have to piece it together yourself.

From what I hear Kamasylvia continues on the same path with the storyline.

Posted

I like my awakening, its quite stabby.

I like mine too. It's great. 

Posted

I'm also your opinion, although I play 99% in greatsword awakened form on my warrior. But this is more a matter of personal choice and preference, saw the first videos about greatsword in Korea before BDO started here and yeah, greatsword was, is and will be my favorite type of weapon in every game. It was sure for me that I'll play it no matter how good or bad it is, had no clue about the game mechanics at that time.
Back to your point, I agree with you and think it would be nice if PA would boost the non awakened dmg to an equal as the awakened skills are. It just provides more playstyles for all the classes and more interesting combat when everyone can choose his/her preference.
Because what's the point in ditching a whole unique playstyle which no one will play after reaching lvl 56, which can be achieved in 1 day tbh. It's just sad to see half of the possible playstyles out of all classes vanish.

1 person likes this

Posted

A lot of classes use both their pre awakening and awakening skills...really I think the exceptions are musa/maewha and warrior

Rangers still use their bow a ton

good sorcs still iframe for days

berserker's still grab and heal and bws

witch wizards use their heals and occasional meteor/sages memory

ninja/kuno still use theirs for evasive abilities

valks still grab/celestial spear/soj

Even Warriors pop back for a grapple, really musas/maewhas are the only class that pre awakened skills aren't really required...you can get some cool 1v1 combos off with them but the lack of superarmor in group fights will get you killed

Posted

They force awakening, because new wepaon to enchant = money drain, more grind to do = money drain.

They force awakening instead of only extend gameplay choice because : $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thoses guys mainly do money milk, not a game anymore.

how did you even get 1000 likes in this forum?

Posted

imo awakening skills should have a more complex skill tree and offer you another play style and role to your class,  non awaken and awakening should be on par and balanced so that you can use each of them and still be efective. or a even more interesting ideea would be to make awakenings free for all classes :D 

Posted

Awakening is meant for 56-62, where the skill cap levels connects old to new. The issue is they buffed awakening skills along with gear to the point min-max heavily favors awakening.

awakening purely therocial has a larger CD where main hand forms has shorter CD.

The problem was in pure numbers it's better to hit your hardest blowing CD and run/block and count down those cd. Aka warrior land.

if they ever finally get to tweaking the numbers, awakenings won't be so preferred anymore.

Case in point is superamor/iframe/acc all favor awakening

they have already looked into iframe, they just need to nudge on acc more.

like a warrior skills have vast amounts of supper armor and acc you just gear around that and wait for cd resets.

Posted

Awakening is just a way of "class upgrade/change", a lot of very successful mmorpgs already have a system like this, like ragnarok or lineage.

About pre awakening not being used... I do use preawakening as much as awakening, but that might be a sorc thing.

Ragnarok class changes didn't invalidate your previous class's skills.  And even when it did, it's purely because you got the same thing but better so it still played the same.  Even at rebirth you'd still be using your first class skills.  And to stress how well they did it, the game didn't even have cooldowns and still managed to make those skills useful forever.

Posted

Wiz awakening is magical, but pre-awakening still great. 

Though with my warrior, only use sword and shield when i forget to switch to 2handed lol

Posted

Loved loved LOVED Maehwa pre-awakening...Haven't touched mine since awakening. Went with a dirty warrior. :P Haven't looked back. Though warrior pre-awakening was absolutely horrid. (dmg wise)

Posted

Ragnarok class changes didn't invalidate your previous class's skills.  And even when it did, it's purely because you got the same thing but better so it still played the same.  Even at rebirth you'd still be using your first class skills.  And to stress how well they did it, the game didn't even have cooldowns and still managed to make those skills useful forever.

My maehwa friend also uses pre awakening quite many times when dueling against me. I don't think he feels his katana has been invalidated at all. I've fought many rangers too, and I see them using the bow quite a lot. You know, I agree awakening weapon is the focus of the classes now because that's were the damage is, and pre awakening now remains as a necessary support. "Necessary" because I don't think you will be using your class properly without including pre awakening in your combos/tactics. Surely is easy to figure out how pre awakening can be useful for a sorc and so every sorc uses it a lot me included, and it occurs to me that maybe the problem is that it is not easy to figure out how pre awakening can fit other classes. But we have our degree of responsability in here don't you think? Aside from Pearl Abyss.

About the other games similar systems, well, forgive BDO for trying to be a little bit innovative in this aspect.

Posted

how did you even get 1000 likes in this forum?

Anything else ?

Posted (edited)

As a sorc, around 80% of them.

You just don't know how to play your class yet. No shame in it.

Ah the newbs

Sounds like a fresh 56 who doesn't know the skills become more and more obsolete as you level

Stun slow will always remain useful, but at 60+ the power shift is complete

Especially for PVE

The threat only needed one reply though PROGRESSION

Edited by Xpert

Posted

For Musa it is almost no-brainer to use awakening weapon. Much better AOE (hek, everything it has is AOE), much better multiplier, much better Super Armor, much easier CC combo, much better WP regen. However, it is less flashy than the old blade.

1 person likes this

Posted

I use my bow more than my kamasylven swords..just saying

Exactly.

I use my kama sword as a gap closer, grab and cc but do not rely on it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Anything else ?

what did you do that your parents even alow you to play on a PC?

Posted

what we needed were weapons just as strong as our preawakenings that helped us cove the weaknesses of our preawakening sets

what we got were overpowered wombo machines that completely replace preawakening for some and who cares about the rest

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm glad to hear some classes still use a large portion of their non-awakened skills (and at the same time, feel sorry for those classes players for the skill point grind).

So the question becomes, why were some classes awakenings done "right" and some half-assed? Will they revise skill trees at some point to make weapon switching viable (and needed) for all classes?

Just curious but do you play Warr? from what I've seen (via playing most classes post awakening minus maewha/kuno/zerk/witch.) most of the classes available retain some reliance on their non-awakening weapon with the only exceptions I've seen being musa/warr (maybe maewha as well since the similarities to Musa pre-awake but no clue)

I don't think they were ever intended to be an alternate skillset nor the only choice for the class. more like they were designed to be used alongside the original weapon to flesh out and add more diversity to a class skillset. I would assume the reason classes like musa and warr do not use it as much is to keep some classes on the less complex side of things

some people find it more appealing to play classes with limited movesets that do not have twelve difference ways to follow up a grab. some people find that level of freedom with skills and combos more appealing.

Posted

As a Ninja, i'm using all my awakening spells and for PvE i can only play with that without any problem.
But in PvP, i can't only use awakening weapons... if i did that, i'm dead.

For pvp, I use 13 awakenings skills and 14 non-awaking spells. (Passives includes)

So actually for PvE, i think you can use only the non awakening spells if you want it but for PvP, you have to master your class in both side

Posted (edited)

what did you do that your parents even alow you to play on a PC?

Interesting, tell me more about your troll attempt, what's your goal ? where do you dream to go like that ?

Edited by woots

Posted

My awakening is cool

Posted (edited)

They want characters to advance and become stronger, like any other mmo. theres only so many key combinations you can do with this games combat so in order to add more abilities they had to add a mechanic to over write current combinations wich is the awakening. Ive only played Mae but i find myself useing main hand often depending on my situation and where i am in my flow of combat and i think it feels amazing.  after all classes are released and awakened i predict they will add alternative awakening weapons as a side ways progression to have more diverse play styles.

Edited by Cat Box

Posted

MMOS EVOLVE. THEY DON'T STAY AS A CAVEMAN.  I'M SO TRIGGERED.

Posted

Former Maewha player here. I really loved the pre awakening playstyle. Since they added the Kerispear i was playing less and less to the point that all i did was sell my fish and afked again to play other games.

Finally got fed up and did the only sane thing. Rolled NV with my 9 chars. First Dandi weapon i should get would be the class i reroll too. Was a GS, sold all my Maewha gear, got kutum shield and kzarka longsword.

Never looked back.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0