• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Was it Worth It?

Would you do it again?   224 votes

1. 1. Was BDO worth it? Would you do it again knowing what you do now?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

61 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So...

If someone told you, for less than the cost of a movie (BDO costs $5), you could have over 100 hours of fun exploration, beautiful scenery, and gameplay enjoyment, but that at the end of your growth journey, you would then be met with a wall of despair where any more effort by you would make you weaker than when you started....

(100 hours is a relative term, I played for 3 weeks at launch before I even got out of the Velia/Olvia/Heidel area)

Would you do it?

For me, its yes, and would recommend to others.  BDO, for the money, is a HUGE entertainment value.

You just have to tell people going in that there will come a point where you despair, truly despair, and either quit, or stop trying to improve your gear.

(EDITED to change subject title)

Edited by Archaegeo
1 person likes this

Posted

People need to realize they can enjoy game without PEN Pantsu.

11 people like this

Posted (edited)

$5? Cute. I think I'm closer to the 5 digits than 4 digits.

But honestly, I'm past the point where I get burnt by RNG or whatever you want to call it; If I want to gamble I smash, if not I grind out the silver and put up a pre-order, wait till it's my turn or keep bumping the pre-order up till I get that upgrade. Sure, you can bang out that TRI crescent ring with just 4 rings, but that's highly unlikely. We all know the risk, and we all know that we can avoid this risk by having other sheep create our upgrades for us, so we simply put up a fat pre-order so we don't have to regress and watch our AP deteriorate =)

You can play the game how ever you want it man. 

Edited by Remembers

Posted

So...

If someone told you, for less than the cost of a movie ($5), you could have over 100 hours of fun exploration, beautiful scenery, and gameplay enjoyment, but that at the end of your growth journey, you would then be met with a wall of despair where any more effort by you would make you weaker than when you started....

(100 hours is a relative term, I played for 3 weeks at launch before I even got out of the Velia/Olvia/Heidel area)

Would you do it?

For me, its yes, and would recommend to others.  BDO, for the money, is a HUGE entertainment value.

You just have to tell people going in that there will come a point where you despair, truly despair, and either quit, or stop trying to improve your gear.

This is partially why I feel the game is marketed incorrectly.  I've played for months and never really hit that wall of despair, because I play for different reasons. 

I'm not belittling your problems with the game.  I think it's very real for people who have the found the unforgiving nature of RNG, but there is a LOT to do in this game.  As I said, I've played for months and I haven't even gotten to do 3/4ths of what I've got planned. 

3 people like this

Posted

I bought pizza for 20$ today.

Felt good man.

2 people like this

Posted

This is partially why I feel the game is marketed incorrectly.  I've played for months and never really hit that wall of despair, because I play for different reasons. 

I'm not belittling your problems with the game.  I think it's very real for people who have the found the unforgiving nature of RNG, but there is a LOT to do in this game.  As I said, I've played for months and I haven't even gotten to do 3/4ths of what I've got planned. 

Its why I'm still playing, but I am doing ZERO enchanting anymore.  I just cant....PTSD

1 person likes this

Posted

Don't YOLO your gear. Always have backups. Prepare for failure.

5 people like this

Posted

So...

If someone told you, for less than the cost of a movie ($5), you could have over 100 hours of fun exploration, beautiful scenery, and gameplay enjoyment, but that at the end of your growth journey, you would then be met with a wall of despair where any more effort by you would make you weaker than when you started....

Would you do it?

yes it is worthed it, i already recommended it to some friends from work and they are downloading the game right now.

Posted

We get it. You like the game. You don't like RNG and you don't like the gear upgrading process. There are two threads started by you on the first page about this. Even if you framed it differently, you're still beating the same dead horse. You don't have to PEN everything. It's a marathon not a sprint.

Posted

Never this for me. Not sure why people put themselves in a spot for this to happen.

Patience man.

Posted

knowing what i know now? Hell ya. I didn't know shit about BDO when i started and it put me at a severe disadvantage that i STILL haven't fully recuperated. I would be SO far ahead if I went back now. 

Posted

I like to try out things myself, to answer your question; probably yes, though I wouldn't go about it the same exact way.

Posted

I like to try out things myself, to answer your question; probably yes, though I wouldn't go about it the same exact way.

That's a valid point.

I would definitely have much better gear, be a couple levels higher, and have a lot more silver if I knew then what I know now.

Posted

You don't have to PEN everything. It's a marathon not a sprint.

Most people won't be getting PEN anything unless they buy it from the marketplace.

Posted (edited)

Well, Korea has a very tight handholding with RNG as of... the begining of time. On the other hand, gear enchanting is not as unforgiving as other korean games in the past (most common example is Lineage II back in the days where failure in any enchant above safe +3 would mean that you lose the gear completely and get some useless crystals). The enchanting here is not as bad and if one has some brains, having backups will always save the day. RNG dependand risks can be either rewarding or game quitting factors. The game is very promising imo. RNG everywhere and not for the weak witted. RNG in the full RNG meaning. (2 different enchants are 2 independent possibilities and wether you failed an enchant once, does not raise your possibilities on a secont try. as soon as ppl realise that, they can overcome that "wall" OP talks about). And last but not least, one of the best Combat mechanics out there, if not the best. Thing is, ppl have to decide why would they play this game. After a certain point, it is not casual friendly at all! Not being prepaired, means lotsa hardships and disappointment. Also, it rewards gaming time. Yes it does reward gaming time, planning and scheduling, even afk time, but not brainless rng revelation tries. The game is designed to absorb time, currency and -under the right circumstances- arrogant mentality. But that is BDO through my eyes :P I would definately recommend it and yes, it is worth it.

Edit:
PS: Only people who played on KR/RU servers (imo) had a handicap because they knew what the evolution of the game would be at early stages, so they planned ahead :P

Edited by Sunvaar

Posted

Early poll results really show its a great game to play, just maybe not stay forever.

Posted

No.

The *MAJORITY* of people that are good geared (TET's) don't even play the game they just afk lifeskill and or just stack up items instead of selling (people with 5-10 dandi/zarka/nouver/kutum boxes) wich makes mp a total dissapointment and forces you to enchant and possible loose more enjoyment and patience in playing > afk lifeskill and hope someone sells the things you need and or just sit at sausans and pwn nubs cuz at least thats an enjoyment :D (Note i still didn't do or don't do ench at all so its not about that)

But hey thats just imo :)

Posted (edited)

The RNG is funny, I've been here since launch and still haven't gotten "as" frustrated as others. I've had great luck with enchanting but then again I fail stack cautiously.

I watched a clip of BladeBogues failing so hard at enchanting his Nouver. All his fault, he wasn't fail stacking efficiently. 

Then I logged in, hit the NV and rolled a Nouver Dagger and bought it for my main. 

I took it to PRI in under $80mil only needing to recuperate it's dura by 43 frags. The rest of the silver was spent on fail stacking.

If you do things calmly (as in life), you do things efficiently. If you get hit hard by RNG just chill and don't rage enchant. 

Edited by DivinityDay
5 people like this

Posted

Have you ever played a game that was fun for a while, but then you weren't into it eventually? Wasn't that every game you ever liked? ESPECIALLY if you played the hell out of it?

Posted

I would start as sorceress rather than witch. :D

Posted

No.

The *MAJORITY* of people that are good geared (TET's) don't even play the game they just afk lifeskill and or just stack up items instead of selling (people with 5-10 dandi/zarka/nouver/kutum boxes) wich makes mp a total dissapointment and forces you to enchant and possible loose more enjoyment and patience in playing > afk lifeskill and hope someone sells the things you need and or just sit at sausans and pwn nubs cuz at least thats an enjoyment :D (Note i still didn't do or don't do ench at all so its not about that)

But hey thats just imo :)

yea im always disappointed by the lack of items on the MP, thankfully even if a good handful are raging about events with free items we are starting to see more variety on the MP which is much needed. Now if only OPs weren't hoarding items they'll never use maybe we would have some black stones/logs/dandys/etc but nope. I guess il forever be gathering/playing the fruitless bid game for concentrated

Posted

So...

Would you do it?

You did it wrong if you end up weaker than where you started.

Posted

Love this game, I'll be here for years to come.

2 people like this

Posted

You did it wrong if you end up weaker than where you started.

rude/wrong

yes I know I've bee successfully baited. do I at least get the worm before he guts me?

Posted

Have you ever played a game that was fun for a while, but then you weren't into it eventually? Wasn't that every game you ever liked? ESPECIALLY if you played the hell out of it?

That's kind of a different thing. You're talking about eventually growing tired of something, while here, it just outright getting frustrated at something you "actively" enjoy. And its never good to get to the point of frustration with something that is meant to be entertaining.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0