• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Awakening AP / mainhand AP / universal AP testing

121 posts in this topic

Posted

really nice work here Zephan, and kudos for abandoning your previous hypothesis in the face of data. The neatness of the equation makes me think it's something a programmer would prefer implementing :) .

Some observations:

- if building for damage, then accessories and crystals are far more important than weapons - which might explain the greater multiplier on their sale prices.

- using a non-AP secondary has relatively little effect on your actual damage, and indeed using an accuracy secondary and AP accessories is better for total damage than AP secondary and accuracy accessories (assuming equal sheet/implied values for AP and accuracy).

1 person likes this

Posted

really nice work here Zephan, and kudos for abandoning your previous hypothesis in the face of data. The neatness of the equation makes me think it's something a programmer would prefer implementing :) .

Some observations:

- if building for damage, then accessories and crystals are far more important than weapons - which might explain the greater multiplier on their sale prices.

- using a non-AP secondary has relatively little effect on your actual damage, and indeed using an accuracy secondary and AP accessories is better for total damage than AP secondary and accuracy accessories (assuming equal sheet/implied values for AP and accuracy).

I think it's very likely that offhand AP applies as universal AP - what evidence did he provide to the contrary? 

Posted

I think it's very likely that offhand AP applies as universal AP - what evidence did he provide to the contrary? 

lol, you're right, I overlooked that entirely ><.

the other point, about stacking universal AP instead of weapon AP stands though - but that would make AP secondaries *extremely* useful (and not, err, useless as my earlier comment implied).

Posted

lol, you're right, I overlooked that entirely ><.

the other point, about stacking universal AP instead of weapon AP stands though - but that would make AP secondaries *extremely* useful (and not, err, useless as my earlier comment implied).

Yeah It would be just as useful as AP from accessories. 

Posted (edited)

Keep in mind that Accuracy is a factor too, though; mainhands may only apply 43% of their AP to awakenings, but they also let you hit things. :P

Honestly, I think this way is very balanced. Awakenings give much more raw damage so they're very important, but mainhands give much more Acc (infinitely more, if there isn't any hidden Acc on awakening weapons) so they're just as important really. And yes, offhands/accessories/crystals/set bonuses/buffs/everythingbutmainweapons give more valuable universal AP, but in smaller quantities and at extreme prices for accessories.

Edited by Zephan

Posted (edited)

I found myself with some free time today, so I decided to test AP stuff. First and foremost, a big thanks to @FluffyQuack for his invaluable Health Bar Scanner, so I don't have to try and find willing assistants to test damage numbers for hours on end any more. :D

So, first round: testing how mainhand AP affects awakening damage.

Test conditions:

Godr Sphera Training V (348% x3) on Troll Warriors with a +0 Lord Godr Sphera (16-25 AP, 20.5 avg.), a +12 Bronze Dagger (8 AP) and various mainhands. 100% accuracy and discounted all crits.

Test one - +0 Strong Staff : 8-12 AP, 10 avg., for 10 mainhand AP, 20.5 awakening AP and 8 universal AP

• 5 rounds of 5 uses each
  • Damage dealt was from 48.5% - 51.6%, averaging 50.36%

Test two - +0 Ultimate Styd Staff : 28-32 AP, 30 avg., for 30 mainhand AP, 20.5 awakening AP and 8 universal AP

• Damage dealt was from 54.6% - 56.4%, averaging 55.58%

Test three - +6 Strong Staff : 28-32 AP, 30 avg., for 30 mainhand AP, 20.5 awakening AP and 8 universal AP

• Damage dealt was from 54.6% - 56.8%, averaging 55.34%

Test four - PRI Liverto Staff : 86-90 AP, 88 avg., for 88 mainhand AP, 20.5 awakening AP and 8 universal AP

• Damage dealt was from 73.4% - 75.2%, averaging 74.28%

So, from this we can see two things: One, mainhand AP affects awakenings (already proven but some people are stubborn); Two, +0 AP is just as valuable as enchanted AP, surprising as I'd seen reliable testing to the contrary but the damage was roughly identical - the very small variation is easily explained by the small sample size.

We've established that all mainhand AP affects awakening skills, but now we need to find out what percentage of it is used. To do so, I did further tests with differing amounts of awakening and universal AP, both with the +0 Strong Staff and of course the +12 Bronze Dagger:

Test one - +0 Lord Godr Sphera, +0 Bares Ring, Jarette's Ring, +0 Bares Necklace, +0 Bares Earring, Jarette's Earring, Jarette's Belt : 10 mainhand AP, 20.5 awakening AP, 28 universal AP

• Damage dealt was from 66.0% - 69.9%, averaging 68.4%

Test two - +7 Lord Godr Sphera : 10 mainhand AP, 40.5 awakening AP, 8 universal AP

• Damage dealt was from 61.2% - 64.2%, averaging 62.7%

So, +20 mainhand AP is roughly a 10% increase in damage, +20 awakening AP is roughly a 25% increase, and +20 universal AP is roughly a 36% increase. Makes sense, since universal AP adds to both, that it would be equal to both of them combined (taking RNG into account)! Considering Biohack's testing which shows that AP scales linearly, the numbers show that mainhand AP provides roughly 43% the damage as awakening AP, to put it one way, however I think we need to re-evaluate our terms here; awakening AP is the standard for awakenings, sure, but universal AP is more valuable since it's both at once. So I think we should treat universal AP as the standard of 100%, rather than awakening AP. If we go that route, we see why they chose the percentage that they did; considered together, mainhand AP makes up ~30% of the damage and awakened AP makes up ~70%.

But, to be sure, let's see if that holds true for another skill; Water Sphere I (764% x5, Trolls are immune to knockdown so the Air/Down Attack isn't an issue).

Test one - +0 Strong Staff, +0 Lord Godr Sphera : 10 mainhand AP, 20.5 awakening AP, 8 universal AP

• 25 rounds of 1 use each
  • Damage dealt was from 35.4% - 41.1%, averaging 37.8%

Test two - +6 Strong Staff, +0 Lord Godr Sphera : 30 mainhand AP, 20.5 awakening AP, 8 universal AP

• Damage dealt was from 38.9% - 42.8%, averaging 41.2%

Test three - +0 Strong Staff, +7 Lord Godr Sphera : 10 mainhand AP, 40.5 awakening AP, 8 universal AP

• Damage dealt was from 43.7% - 47.6%, averaging 45.8%

Test four - +0 Strong Staff, +0 Lord Godr Sphera, +0 Bares Ring, Jarette's Ring, +0 Bares Necklace, +0 Bares Earring, Jarette's Earring, Jarette's Belt : 10 mainhand AP, 20.5 awakening AP, 28 universal AP

• Damage dealt was from 47.2% - 51.6%, averaging 49.3%

So, pretty much confirmed: here again we see exactly 30% mainhand AP / 70% awakening AP. I think that wraps up this round, the next one whenever I happen to find time to get around to it will be additional damage types, namely Species Damage.

TL;DR - Awakening damage is made up of 30% mainhand AP (ALL mainhand AP, even base +0) and 70% awakening AP. AP from accessories and crystals and such adds to both, giving the full 100%.

Hello Zephan

I just need a clarification on some wording as i got a bit confused reading, saying AP so many times is like a tongue twister.

Just for me.. define

Liverto/Kzarka AP (Just the Staff, ex 108 at Tri))
Accessory + Crystal + Set Bonus AP
Awakening/dandelion Weapon AP (just the awakened weapon, ex 110 at Tri)
Inventory Mainhand AP (The number that appears on your inventory screen)
Awakening Inventory AP (The number that appears on the inventory screen)

Okay now my question.

During your OP you stated that 43% of the mainhand AP contributes to awakened AP but then later in your summary you stated that 30% of mainhand AP contributes to awakened AP.

so are you saying this

Total Awakened AP = (0.43*Liverto/kzarka_AP) + (Awakening/dandelion_AP) + (Accessory_Crystal_Set_Bonus_AP)

or this

Total Awakened AP = (0.3*Inventory_mainhand_AP) + (0.7*awakened_Inventory_AP)

your Fan
Xerise

Edited by remilafo

Posted

Would love to see some testing on the 5AP mainhand crystals also. Do they only apply 30% of their AP to awakening damage, or is it 100%? I know most people use the 2acc/10% resist pierce for PVP, but PVE is a different matter. 

Hello Zephan

I just need a clarification on some wording as i got a bit confused reading, saying AP so many times is like a tongue twister.

Just for me.. define

Liverto/Kzarka AP (Just the Staff, ex 108 at Tri))
Accessory + Crystal + Set Bonus AP
Awakening/dandelion Weapon AP (just the awakened weapon, ex 110 at Tri)
Inventory Mainhand AP (The number that appears on your inventory screen)
Awakening Inventory AP (The number that appears on the inventory screen)

Okay now my question.

During your OP you stated that 43% of the mainhand AP contributes to awakened AP but then later in your summary you stated that 30% of mainhand AP contributes to awakened AP.

so are you saying this

Total Awakened AP = (0.43*Liverto/kzarka_AP) + (Awakening/dandelion_AP) + (Accessory_Crystal_Set_Bonus_AP)

or this

your Fan
Xerise

He made it pretty clear in this statement:

"So, +20 mainhand AP is roughly a 10% increase in damage, +20 awakening AP is roughly a 25% increase, and +20 universal AP is roughly a 36% increase. Makes sense, since universal AP adds to both, that it would be equal to both of them combined (taking RNG into account)! Considering Biohack's testing which shows that AP scales linearly, the numbers show that mainhand AP provides roughly 43% the damage as awakening AP, to put it one way, however I think we need to re-evaluate our terms here; awakening AP is the standard for awakenings, sure, but universal AP is more valuable since it's both at once. So I think we should treat universal AP as the standard of 100%, rather than awakening AP. If we go that route, we see why they chose the percentage that they did; considered together, mainhand AP makes up ~30% of the damage and awakened AP makes up ~70%."

Posted

Thx Zephan. Good work there.

Posted

TL;DR - Awakening damage is made up of 30% mainhand AP (ALL mainhand AP, even base +0) and 70% awakening AP. AP from accessories and crystals and such adds to both, giving the full 100%.

Ok, so I'm confused here.

What you're saying is this - awakening damage = mainhand_AP * 0.3 + awak_AP * 0.7 + jewelry_AP

but I think you meant to say this - awakening damage = mainhand_AP * 0.3 + awak_AP * 1.0 + jewelry_AP

otherwise it makes no sense.

Posted

He made it pretty clear in this statement:

No, it's not clear enough and i will show you why in an example below.

I've worked with Zephan before and i trust him to make good on his efforts, I've also made my own testing on this subject and probably came to the same results as zephan has but people's brains don't work all the same and this introduction of Universal AP (what i think is accessories, crystal, sets etc) that he is using is confusing me. I just want clarification.

Let's create a hypothetical Character with this gear..

- Tri Liverto - 108 ap
- Tri Steel Dagger - 33 ap
- Tri Dandelion - 110 ap
- 2 x Witch, 2 x Marks, 1 x Basilisk, 1 x Ogre - 35 ap
- Full Grunil - 7 ap
- 2 x Crimson flame gems, 1 x Black Spirit gem - 15 ap

Okay this character has on their inventory screen
Mainhand AP = 176 , Awakened AP = 178
- With 22 Hidden AP from Set bonus and gems; for real AP of
Mainhand AP = 198 , Awakened AP = 200

So, if we go with this formula...
Then the characters true awakened AP is 246.44 

However, if we go with 
Then the characters true awakened AP is 192.4

This is a huge difference.

Posted

so this means jewelry AP and hidden AP > weapon AP

Posted

Ok, so I'm confused here.

What you're saying is this - awakening damage = mainhand_AP * 0.3 + awak_AP * 0.7 + jewelry_AP

but I think you meant to say this - awakening damage = mainhand_AP * 0.3 + awak_AP * 1.0 + jewelry_AP

otherwise it makes no sense.

See, im not the only one that got confused here.

so this means jewelry AP and hidden AP > weapon AP

patience.. no assumptions please..
let's wait for the OP to clarify there wording.

Posted (edited)

I was also confused reading the TL;DR, since it would bring up the question: Where does the 30% from the awakening AP go? It also wouldn't make you get those huge numbers when you use awakening skills on mobs because the calculations wouldn't add up.

Edited by Aokami

Posted (edited)

No, it's not clear enough and i will show you why in an example below.

I've worked with Zephan before and i trust him to make good on his efforts, I've also made my own testing on this subject and probably came to the same results as zephan has but people's brains don't work all the same and this introduction of Universal AP (what i think is accessories, crystal, sets etc) that he is using is confusing me. I just want clarification.

- Tri Liverto - 108 ap
- Tri Dandelion - 110 ap
- Full Grunil - 7 ap

However, if we go with 
Then the characters true awakened AP is 192.4

This is a huge difference.

Yes, this is a huge difference, but it doesn't change the fact that he was very clear in the explanation. I assume you are not putting 2 and 2 together here - what he's saying is that if you take the Awakened weapon AP contribution as the 100% reference point, then the mainhand weapon contributes 43% in comparison to it (Please note that 30% is 42.86% of 70%). This would by extension make accessory/crystal AP worth more than 100% (roughly 142%). He then suggested that the scale should instead be set by other sources of AP being the 100% reference point. It is irrefutably clear that his conclusion was that your awakening weapon provides 70% of its AP to awakened damage calculations, mainhand weapon 30%, and other sources of AP 100%. His evidence also looks pretty convincing. 

Edited by Kutsuu

Posted (edited)

Yes, this is a huge difference, but it doesn't change the fact that he was very clear in the explanation. I assume you are not putting 2 and 2 together here - what he's saying is that if you take the Awakened weapon AP contribution as the 100% reference point, then the mainhand weapon contributes 43% in comparison to it (Please note that 30% is 42.86% of 70%). This would by extension make accessory/crystal AP worth more than 100% (something like 140%). . He then suggested that the scale should instead be set by other sources of AP being the 100% reference point. It is irrefutably clear that his conclusion was that your awakening weapon provides 70% of its AP to awakened damage calculations, mainhand weapon 30%, and other sources of AP 100%. His evidence also looks pretty convincing. 

okay okay.. thanks for clearing that up. ..I see now  the point was the Quality of the AP if we can call it that rather than just solving for "True Awakening AP" ..

just to verify if i really got it..

Accessory, crystal, offhand and Set bonus AP is considered of 100% value since it contributes equally to both Awakened and Non-awakened states. Hence Ultimate AP.

Mainhand weapon AP contributes 100% to non-awakened state but only 43% to Awakened state AP.. Hence 70% value compared to Ultimate AP.

Awakened Weapon AP contributes 0% to non-awakened state and 100% to awakened state AP.. Hence 50% value compared to Ultimate AP.

Obviously you can change the focus, but anyway you play with these numbers the Ultimate AP will be worth more than the rest.

--- it's really more of a money thing.. odd way to look at it but whatever.. works for you..

Okay in case the above has confused anyone else further just know that your TRUE AWAKENED STATE AP is defined by this formula.

- Tri Liverto - 108 ap
- Tri Dandelion - 110 ap
- Full Grunil - 7 ap

Total Awakened AP = (0.43*108) + 110 + (35 + 7 + 15 + 33)

Edited by remilafo
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

okay okay.. thanks for clearing that up. ..I see now  the point was the Quality of the AP if we can call it that rather than just solving for "True Awakening AP" ..

just to verify if i really got it..

Accessory, crystal, offhand and Set bonus AP is considered of 100% value since it contributes equally to both Awakened and Non-awakened states. Hence Ultimate AP.

Mainhand weapon AP contributes 100% to non-awakened state but only 43% to Awakened state AP.. Hence 70% value compared to Ultimate AP.

Awakened Weapon AP contributes 0% to non-awakened state and 100% to awakened state AP.. Hence 50% value compared to Ultimate AP.

Obviously you can change the focus, but anyway you play with these numbers the Ultimate AP will be worth more than the rest.

Okay in case the above has confused anyone else further just know that your TRUE AWAKENED STATE AP is defined by this formula.

- Tri Liverto - 108 ap
- Tri Dandelion - 110 ap
- Full Grunil - 7 ap

Total Awakened AP = (0.43*108) + 110 + (35 + 7 + 15 + 33)

His point was that in your specific scenario, Liverto would contribute 30% of its AP to awakening skill damage calculations, Dandelion would contribute 70% of its AP to awakening skill calculations, and your other sources of AP would contribute 100% of their AP to awakening skill calculations. He did not make any determinations about non-awakened skill calculations in his testing. 

So 0.3*108 + 0.7*110 + 33 + 35 + 7 + 15 would be the total AP used in calculating awakened skill damage. 

Edited by Kutsuu

Posted

So 0.3*108 + 0.7*110 + 33 + 35 + 7 + 15 would be the total AP used in calculating awakened skill damage. 

This is still not the same. And with this, there's a 30% of Awakening AP which goes where? 

Posted

His point was that in your specific scenario, Liverto would contribute 30% of its AP to awakening skill damage calculations, Dandelion would contribute 70% of its AP to awakening skill calculations, and your other sources of AP would contribute 100% of their AP to awakening skill calculations. He did not make any determinations about non-awakened skill calculations in his testing. 

0.3*108 + 0.7*110 + 33 + 35 + 7 + 15 = 199.4

No, what you are saying now makes no sense.

The Dandelion AP contributes 100% to awakened damage. NOT 70% ..  

Posted

This is still not the same. And with this, there's a 30% of Awakening AP which goes where? 

I did not say it's the same. I said that is what the OP's conclusion is based on his testing. I have no magical fairy telling me where the remaining 30% of your AP goes. 

0.3*108 + 0.7*110 + 33 + 35 + 7 + 15 = 199.4

No, what you are saying now makes no sense.

The Dandelion AP contributes 100% to awakened damage. NOT 70% ..  

Again, that doesn't match the conclusions of the OP. I'm merely pointing out what his post says since you don't seem to be connecting the dots. 

Posted

I did not say it's the same. I said that is what the OP's conclusion is based on his testing. I have no magical fairy telling me where the remaining 30% of your AP goes. 

Yes, that's why we are saying that probably the conclusion of OP is wrong, because that way it makes no sense. Probably his tests are correct though and he meant the TL;DR differently.

Posted

You are the one misunderstanding now.

The whole 30%, 70% percent thing was making sense when evaluating the value of AP when looking at the character over all. Like in terms of financial value.

But in terms of Damage formulai that perspective is irrelevant and just plain weird. 

Seriously just run with this..

Posted (edited)

Read this line again. He is saying that accessory AP has a higher contribution to awakened damage calculations than awakening weapon AP does. 

So, +20 mainhand AP is roughly a 10% increase in damage, +20 awakening AP is roughly a 25% increase, and +20 universal AP is roughly a 36% increase.

This means that if you choose awakening AP as the 100% reference point, then mainhand AP contributes 43%, awakening 100%, and universal AP 142%. If you choose universal AP as the 100% reference point, then you get mainhand AP contributes 30%, awakening 70%, and universal AP 100%. 

No matter how you slice it, his conclusion is that universal AP has a higher damage contribution to AWAKENED damage calculations than the AP from your awakening weapon. 

You are the one misunderstanding now.

The whole 30%, 70% percent thing was making sense when evaluating the value of AP when looking at the character over all. Like in terms of financial value.

But in terms of Damage formulai that perspective is irrelevant and just plain weird. 

Seriously just run with this..

Sorry I am not misunderstanding at all. I am saying that your formula does NOT match the OP's conclusions. Whether he's right or wrong, I don't know for sure. His evidence supports his conclusions. 

Edited by Kutsuu

Posted

Read this line again. He is saying that accessory AP has a higher contribution to awakened damage calculations than awakening weapon AP does. 

This means that if you choose awakening AP as the 100% reference point, then mainhand AP contributes 43%, awakening 100%, and universal AP 142%. If you choose universal AP as the 100% reference point, then you get mainhand AP contributes 30%, awakening 70%, and universal AP 100%. 

No matter how you slice it, his conclusion is that universal AP has a higher damage contribution to AWAKENED damage calculations than the AP from your awakening weapon. 

Sorry I am not misunderstanding at all. I am saying that your formula does NOT match the OP's conclusions. Whether he's right or wrong, I don't know for sure. His evidence supports his conclusions. 

okay okay.. i got caught up in the discussion with you.. I went back and read over the OP's data a few times.

You are only defending the data set, i see that.. 

Working with the assumption that the data presented by the OP is correct this has some pretty big consequences.

I have always thought that adding up AP+DP as a way to determine Gearscore was always grossly inaccurate but with this info it means it is even more Bullsheet than before. 

Cause 20 AP from accessories would be greater than 20 Ap from a Dandelion.. Wtf is going on there.. 

Posted

okay okay.. i got caught up in the discussion with you.. I went back and read over the OP's data a few times.

You are only defending the data set, i see that.. 

Working with the assumption that the data presented by the OP is correct this has some pretty big consequences.

I have always thought that adding up AP+DP as a way to determine Gearscore was always grossly inaccurate but with this info it means it is even more Bullsheet than before. 

Cause 20 AP from accessories would be greater than 20 Ap from a Dandelion.. Wtf is going on there.. 

If that's the case, it would be much more worth it to have better accessories first before even trying to get TET weapons as the data has shown us. Reading the data once again, I think that stacking as much AP from accessories and crystals would outweigh the value of spending your silvers on trying to get TRI or TET (even PEN) for your weapon for getting more damage. Which means that Ogre Ring, Crescent Ring, Tungrade/Molar and Basilisk belt provides more for your awakened damage calculated than your TRI (or higher) awakened weapon.

I guess there isn't a point in me trying to get Dandelion now, and focus on getting my accessory before anything else.