• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Bookshelf Knowledge

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

From my early game understanding - reading a book on a bookshelf is supposed to provide knowledge (player owned housing items). I'm questioning this atm so here are my random questions. Please answer if you have actual answers (more theories are good too tho).

• Is Bookshelf knowledge defined or rng based on what you have outstanding?
  • Does Bookshelves (or Bookshelf package example Naga Bookshelf) have knowledge OR is there knowledge that can be obtained by reading from "a Bookshelf" meaning read it once and thats it?
  • Once you've read from "a" bookshelf  will there be no additional knowledge gained the next time you read, can you do it and anticipate something new each time or do you have to go read from another bookshelf to obtain new knowledge?
  • Do Naga Decorate Bookshelves and Khutums Decorated Bookshelves provide different knowledge?
  • Do Cash Shop Bookshelves provide one set of knowledge while in game ones provide a different set?
  • Is there a list of knowledge obtainable by Bookshelves if its not rng knowledge gain?

ETC...

Meant to toss this in the PVE section oopsie

Edited by Trixologist

Posted

I can answer one:

"

• Once you've read from "a" bookshelf  will be no additional knowledge gained the next time you read, can you do it and anticipate something new each time or do you have to go read from another bookshelf to obtain new knowledge?"

Anytime I have read from a bookshelf in a city (Calph/Valencia), I only got the knowledge once. I could still interact with the book shelf but I didn't get any bonus for doing it a second time. 

I usually go to the library in Calpheon and just read everything there kind of like how Elderscrolls Online is. 

Posted

I can answer one:

"

• Once you've read from "a" bookshelf  will be no additional knowledge gained the next time you read, can you do it and anticipate something new each time or do you have to go read from another bookshelf to obtain new knowledge?"

Anytime I have read from a bookshelf in a city (Calph/Valencia), I only got the knowledge once. I could still interact with the book shelf but I didn't get any bonus for doing it a second time. 

I usually go to the library in Calpheon and just read everything there kind of like how Elderscrolls Online is. 

Oh no sorry I mean specifically for housing bookshelves.  Trying to see if there is a difference between crafted, purchased and within purchased the sets.

Yes you are right though for world/quest related bookshelves, they offer the same each time.  

More info: Housing bookshelves offer you the ability to interact with them. This is supposed to allow you to obtain knowledge. After the long period of interacting, I'm not receiving anything and trying to see if there is no new knowledge to be obtained or if its broken.

Posted

Oh no sorry I mean specifically for housing bookshelves.  Trying to see if there is a difference between crafted, purchased and within purchased the sets.

Yes you are right though for world/quest related bookshelves, they offer the same each time.  

More info: Housing bookshelves offer you the ability to interact with them. This is supposed to allow you to obtain knowledge. After the long period of interacting, I'm not receiving anything and trying to see if there is no new knowledge to be obtained or if its broken.

I'll have to check after work. I have at least one bookshelf in my house, just never interacted with it. Was mostly for decoration lol.

I forgot where I got it, it was while questing out in the world or something because I did not buy it.

Posted

Knowledge from the bookshelf is completely RNG. Sometimes you will learn something new or you will get a notice saying the knowledge has already been obtained. Books can be placed on the shelf (manually with the place furniture tool), and it's been rumored that this increases the chance of learning that specific knowledge, but I don't think it's actually true.

I have a couple of different types but all seem to give random knowledge.

Side note, you cannot change channels while an alt is reading. This becomes problematic if you log out and trying to get back in and cannot remember the channel as it doesn't show said restrictions.

Posted

I would like to add to this that when reading a housing (cash shop) bookshelf, while there IS a high likelihood of getting nothing (because the knowledge that procs is knowledge you have already), those "failed" read attempts do not consume any durability from the bookshelf. Meaning that every bookshelf will, given enough time, yield 30 discrete new knowledges before its durability runs out.
The knowledge obtain chance skill from pets seems to increase the likelihood of a successful read by quite a lot.