• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Can I use a VPN until my IP whitelisted?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm from New Zealand. My IP was mean't to be whitelisted last night according to ticket from GM 

"Please accept our apology for the late reply. We have whitelisted your IP, but if you encounter this error again in the future, please contact us again so we can whitelist your new IP. This process may need to be repeated until we have identified all the IP's your ISP uses"

My IP they whitelisted has not changed. I'm wondering is it ok to use a VPN if my country is whitelisted but my specific IP isn't yet? Will I get banned for using a VPN even if im from a country that is allowed access to the game?

Posted (edited)

For what it's worth a friend of mine has used a VPN in a similar situation half a year back when Daum had some trouble with IPs in England and isn't banned yet. I'm sure they're reasonable and understand, but you should probably reply to your ticket asking that instead of the forums.

Edited by Coreven

Posted

bump

Posted

sigh, You see these all the time....

If people took the time to read what a VPN is and what the point is, I doubt we would have these come up.

For one, how would they prove you are using a VPN for nefarious purposes? Do you think  all of the less than 60 people at PA have time for this?

VPN's are used for the security of the user, not just hackers, btw.

If you use public wifi's a lot (like starbucks) a VPN will help secure your connection and comp.  

It's literally NOT rocket science.....

Posted

sigh, You see these all the time....

If people took the time to read what a VPN is and what the point is, I doubt we would have these come up.

For one, how would they prove you are using a VPN for nefarious purposes? Do you think  all of the less than 60 people at PA have time for this?

VPN's are used for the security of the user, not just hackers, btw.

If you use public wifi's a lot (like starbucks) a VPN will help secure your connection and comp.  

It's literally NOT rocket science.....

They don't need to prove that you're using a VPN for nefarious purposes. Yes, a VPN's primary purpose is to provide security between any client/server relationship, and not just for nefarious purposes. However, a VPN also allows a bypass to a network that is blocking traffic from specific geographic regions because you can be using a VPN to act as proxy from within the acceptable geographic region. While it may suck for the user that's using it for reasonable measures, it's not uncommon for a network to block publicly known VPN source IP's because it opens the door for traffic from the very regions that they choose to block. Hence the reason the OP had to request a Whitelist.

In the OP's case, he's in New Zealand. For whatever reason, connection from his region's IP's are blocked. Why? That's not for us to decide, but the reason is likely not "to block nefarious purposes". Likely it's a traffic shaping/management concern, or even a QoL concern based on game experience impacts on latency. While I feel for the OP, it's an issue of unfortunate circumstance.

Personally, I think using a VPN would be a poor substitute if you're trying to play an MMO across the pond. Your latency is already sub-par as it is. Adding additional packet processing somewhere along the path would only magnify the issue. Though I guess if that's your only option... :shrug:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0