• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Harpooning and why does this suck?

24 posts in this topic

Posted

i've taken a look all over the internet and sadly there isn't hardly any new relevant info on his topic... so figured i would ask the community... 

first i want to state that i am not an AFK fisher... i like to do everything in the game actively. That being said i have worked my way up over time to the rank of Professional 5 fisher and was super excited to try out harpooning.... but to my huge disappointment... i discovered that the returns for striving to reach this level so i could go harpooning ...for a lack of a better term...sucks...  the amount of money u can make with it is laughable compared to a rod... so why even have it in the game and have it at such a high ranking spot if it's use is pretty much useless...

You can easily make more money with a rod any day even not in a hot spot... so i giuess id just like to know what im doing wrong here or if this is just the way it is...also i noticed this... for a coalanth or whatever its called ...is worth 200K/fish    and yet you catch a humpback whale... which is easily 1000 times the size of a coalanth... and yet its worth a measily 75K .... its seems hard enough as it is to catch a yellow fish... but i mean i would have expected catching a whale to be a lil more profitable or something... i unno just me lol im not here to start arguments... but i would like to know wither or not this is worth my time investing my time into or not... i enjoy fishing when im not grinding mods for days... so would be nice if working towards pro 5 for a harpoon would have been worth it...but sadly it seems pathetic in comparison to the rod :/ 

Posted

Yeah, harpooning sucks. Best advice would be to not do it. 

Posted

You cant fish up a bottle with a map to a golden chest.

Posted (edited)

Harpoon was a feature that sounded great in theory, but ended up terrible in practice. You can get pretty high end "fish" like sperm whales from doing it, but the time it takes to get even one fish with is the same amount you could get 4-5 other fish from a rod. It's sad to see that this feature was shafted so badly. 

E: It should get reworked to give hunting/fishing exp at the same time since we can get whales from it..

Edited by Feonie

Posted

so is this pointless to even begin doing? i mean id love to get into it i like it alot but if it's doomed be absolute trash when it comes to profit.... id hate to waste my  time on something that wont be of any use really....if theyd bump the price for the whales it might be enough to make it half viable...but 75K for a whale i mean come on!!.....

Posted

OP is certainly right that harpooning is less lucrative than rod fishing by a large margin. In my opinion, harpooning is a sideline to rod fishing and shouldn't be equally lucrative, but it should be closer in value than it is. Some pros and cons of harpoon vs fishing -

PROS

1. Completing the Fish Guide and Fishing Knowledge.

2. Fishing records. Records for the harpoon-only yellow fish aren't tainted by AFK fishing and are much easier to get.

3. Titles. You get access to a wider range of titles to bump up your title count. And many of the Prince and Guru titles for yellow harpoon fish on NA server are unclaimed. If you want a unique title for your character, harpooning is perhaps the only way.

4. Food Fish. Harpooning lets you catch large numbers of a single fish species, so is more effective for gathering and processing dried fish.

CONS (some of these are interdependent but I'll list them all)

1. Value. Much less lucrative than rod fishing - unnecessarily so.

2. Mini-game. Tedious and far too long. A 25 second mini-game for each and every harpoon fish is inappropriate. It is also impossible to fail once you've learned it.

3. Totems. Harpooning used to be the only effective way of getting experience for the old-style totems. With the new-style totems, open water fishing is slightly more effective.

4. Equipment. There are no repairable harpoons. A thick harpoon needs 7 iron ingots, has 40 durability, no fishing bonus and can only be produced on Iliya island.  A steel fishing rod needs 2 steel ingots, has 65 durability, +2 fishing bonus and can be produced anywhere.

IMPROVING HARPOONING

1. Shorter minigame. This would fix, in part, most of the problems with harpooning. For example, use the current minigame but require only 3 or 4 hits, and no misses allowed.

2. Imperial Trader. All yellow fish, harpoon-only species included, should be sellable.

A final note - developers need to start thinking about the effects on harpooning when they make changes to rod fishing, and vice-versa.

3 people like this

Posted

Has anyone tried using the harpoon on the Epheria Sailboat? Does it work?

Posted

it can work on any boat really as far as i know...hope they give this mechanic some much needed attention sooner rather then later its way more cooler then normal rod fishing imo

Posted (edited)

There are things that are worth it IMO like giant squid which are like 320k or something like that.

Double checked, they are worth 320k.

http://bddatabase.net/us/item/8454/

Edited by Zegram

Posted

is there some sort of list around right now thats current that we could go by... casue i would love for this to be worth the effort yanno i really enjoy it total shame that DAUM has done such a terrible job with implementing it :/

AND WHY THE HELL is a killer whale worth less then a TUNA?!?!? the hell kinda nonsense is that?!

Posted

It got nerfed because Greenpeace wanted to save the sperm whales. avatar_210d8d3173c2_64.png

1 person likes this

Posted

It got nerfed because Greenpeace wanted to save the sperm whales. avatar_210d8d3173c2_64.png

Greenpeace biased against fish confirmed. Only aquatic mammals are worth protecting I guess. >:(

Posted

Has anyone tried using the harpoon on the Epheria Sailboat? Does it work?

While you can use the harpoon on a sailboat you will not actually catch anything. The tooltip for the harpoons also states that it requires a fishing boat.

1 person likes this

Posted

anyone know if this feature is gonna be ever worked on or is it just gonna be left like this? would love to spend more time doing this ... been tryin to find some hot spots around but have yet to really stumble upon anything worth while...is there any kinda page dedicated to this particular mechanic nowadays? i found some stuff but its either in kroean or horribly outdated :/

Posted

Traxxle did a great job of listing the pros and cons.

IMHO these are the things harpooning needs. 

1) It should be more profitable than rod fishing. Period. You need to be Pro5. You can't be AFK. You need to be on a fishing boat. All these requirements tell you it should be more profitable.

2) There should absolutely be hotspots. Make them rare, make them accessible to Masters or Gurus only if you must, but they should exist.

3) Make more gear related to harpooning. Artisan Harpoons, Triple Barb Harpoons (yes please)

4) Repeatable quests(again, Triple Barb Harpoons)

5) Make them usable on the New Sailboats. The fact that they are not is an insult.

6) Make gold Harpoon Fish count more towards your totem.

2 people like this

Posted

There are things that are worth it IMO like giant squid which are like 320k or something like that.

Double checked, they are worth 320k.

http://bddatabase.net/us/item/8454/

While doing the harpooning for the weekly quest out of about 100 tries (at Master 5) I got a single Giant Squid, 6-7 Albacoves/Hammer Whales (gold), 50-70 Scuttlefish (green) and the rest Black Marlins/Swordfishes. It's pretty terrible and extremely boring.

Posted

i tried a test today dont know if it was luck or not but i picked a spot in the ocean... went there for an hour with the harpoon and an hour with the rod ... hour with the harpoon netted something like 3.2M while the rod netted 2M now this was just an abundant area nothing special about it... hauled in a pile of big eye tunas like 20 of them gold with harpoon and hauled in about 12 nibblers with rod... so i unno im gonna try this test agian later but imo harpooining should be alot more profitable then it is... i mean WE CATCH WHALES FOR GODS SAKE!!! WHALESSSSSS!!! and they are worth less then a small fish!!!! still blows my mind.. WHAT A HORRIBLE JOB implementing something like this... i agree that with such requirements it should be alot more profitable... i hope they give this some attention in the very near future cause honestly i love it but it def needs HEAPS of work!! get ur shit together daum! lol

Posted

While you can use the harpoon on a sailboat you will not actually catch anything. The tooltip for the harpoons also states that it requires a fishing boat.

I sincerely hope that this is just something that they have missed and that it will be fixed VERY fast.

Harpooning have had such an imense amount of bugs related to it in the past and now this.... Its borderline intentional.

1 person likes this

Posted

¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Just another empty/useless content so they can call their game 'deep' 

Posted

Did today's patch let us Harpoon on sail boats? Still at work

Posted (edited)

Nope. 

"Did today's patch let us Harpoon on sail boats? Still at work"

Edited by Hindsight

Posted

Nope. 

"Did today's patch let us Harpoon on sail boats? Still at work"

yeah when i got home I gave it a try. Does anyone know if it changed harpooning in any way?

Posted

Yeah it's pretty pointless and why does the fish go off the screen annoying!

Posted

i tried a test today dont know if it was luck or not but i picked a spot in the ocean... went there for an hour with the harpoon and an hour with the rod ... hour with the harpoon netted something like 3.2M while the rod netted 2M now this was just an abundant area nothing special about it... hauled in a pile of big eye tunas like 20 of them gold with harpoon and hauled in about 12 nibblers with rod... so i unno im gonna try this test agian later but imo harpooining should be alot more profitable then it is... i mean WE CATCH WHALES FOR GODS SAKE!!! WHALESSSSSS!!! and they are worth less then a small fish!!!! still blows my mind.. WHAT A HORRIBLE JOB implementing something like this... i agree that with such requirements it should be alot more profitable... i hope they give this some attention in the very near future cause honestly i love it but it def needs HEAPS of work!! get ur shit together daum! lol

I am curious. When you wrote this post, where exactly were you fishing? 20 bigeye tuna is a lot 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0