• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I think its the fact the game has no loading screens that is the cause for the fps

31 posts in this topic

Posted

Its a massive open world where everything is connected without interuption. The consequence being that there are numerous pop ups and low fps. I think if the game was designed to have instanced zones. We wouldnt have as much trouble with the frame rates. That, or its lack of optimization. What do you guys think?

Posted

Badly optimized without a doubt. 

While i am no genius in the computer department, i don't think the computer has to render anything that's not near me.
The whole world is not rendered at all times. And since the pop ins are so -----ing obvious all the time, the high quality rendering is super close, which means less processing having to be done at one time. 

The game is badly optimized. 
Correct me if im wrong. 

2 people like this

Posted

lol no. The engine is just really badly optimized. The game only uses 3 cores, inefficient code leads to GPU-engine idling half of the time even though there should be planty to do (engine/cpu fails to properly provide GPU with work), almost non-existend occlusion culling, waaaaay too many draw calls wasted on stuff not visible, very bad way of loading geometry into the game (1 geometry object each draw call), lazy sequentiel data streaming system leads to pop-in even though there is tons of free aviable VRAM, engine doesnt use any compute shaders at all. Small stuff having way too many details.

There is probably a lot more, and because of that i should stop grinding and conduct more research.

Also there are many other extremly detailed Open world games like The Witcher 3 and GTA5 also only have 1 loading screen, but still perform a lot better than BDO.

Posted

lol no. The engine is just really badly optimized. The game only uses 3 cores, inefficient code leads to GPU-engine idling half of the time even though there should be planty to do (engine/cpu fails to properly provide GPU with work), almost non-existend occlusion culling, waaaaay too many draw calls wasted on stuff not visible, very bad way of loading geometry into the game (1 geometry object each draw call), lazy sequentiel data streaming system leads to pop-in even though there is tons of free aviable VRAM, engine doesnt use any compute shaders at all. Small stuff having way too many details.

There is probably a lot more, and because of that i should stop grinding and conduct more research.

Also there are many other extremly detailed Open world games like The Witcher 3 and GTA5 also only have 1 loading screen, but still perform a lot better than BDO.

BDO is an MMO. TW3 is single player, huge difference (✿◡‿◡)

2 people like this

Posted

yeah no. The difference is that there is a whole network stack slapped on top of it. BDO uses the infamous black bodies as a skeleton, then loads the geometry (aka clothing) and finally applies the UV-map and textures for clothing. In case of other players you still have the standard black skeleton,but now the game asks the servers how that char looks like and with that information it modifies a default uv map/default body textures which then is applied on the skeleton. After that, geometry (armor) is loaded onto that char. 

And of course your game is packing your current game state into a UDP and sends it to the server. The server checks what happened at player A and B, compares times for each event, decides who hit who, sends the gamestate of the server to the clients, clients apply changes to their own game state. 

Of course this is overly simplified, because there is much more like calculating positions of other players, render animations with little prediciton and transporting time-critical events like skill casting to the server. 

Posted (edited)

I'll just refrain from being rude and write this as though I deleted what I had written.

Edited by Katsuragi
jesus christ the spell checking autism
1 person likes this

Posted

Its a massive open world where everything is connected without interuption. The consequence being that there are numerous pop ups and low fps. I think if the game was designed to have instanced zones. We wouldnt have as much trouble with the frame rates. That, or its lack of optimization. What do you guys think?

Wait what?

How big the map/game doesn't affect  your fps, the engine loads contents close to you at a certain distance. However releasing larger area, more contents ore more data are prone to bug or memory leak if not quality checked thoroughly.

Then there is  engine optimisation and  compatibility with windows  and your graphic card.

Posted

>Open World MMORPG 
>People complain about FPS issues. 
>#2017Gamers 

SMH.

1 person likes this

Posted

yeah no. The difference is that there is a whole network stack slapped on top of it. BDO uses the infamous black bodies as a skeleton, then loads the geometry (aka clothing) and finally applies the UV-map and textures for clothing. In case of other players you still have the standard black skeleton,but now the game asks the servers how that char looks like and with that information it modifies a default uv map/default body textures which then is applied on the skeleton. After that, geometry (armor) is loaded onto that char. 

And of course your game is packing your current game state into a UDP and sends it to the server. The server checks what happened at player A and B, compares times for each event, decides who hit who, sends the gamestate of the server to the clients, clients apply changes to their own game state. 

Of course this is overly simplified, because there is much more like calculating positions of other players, render animations with little prediciton and transporting time-critical events like skill casting to the server. 

So why is it a lag fest during boss fights while boating through the ocean is lag free? (✿◡‿◡)

Posted

I would never play an instanced pleb game again. O.o

3 people like this

Posted

So why is it a lag fest during boss fights while boating through the ocean is lag free? (✿◡‿◡)

Their predictive code is set for 10-20ms ping, like the old LAN games. It works in such a small country as korea.

2 people like this

Posted

i get 60 fps at 4k ( medium graphics , high textures, no optimization settings) at all times unless im inside a city, and im never inside the city so....idc

Posted

i get 60 fps at 4k ( medium graphics , high textures, no optimization settings) at all times unless im inside a city, and im never inside the city so....idc

Medium graphics setting look like garbage to me. Well, maybe garbage is a harsh word, perhaps I should have said it look like 10 year old games.

Posted

I get awesome fps all the time, medium settings, older computer, game still looks phenomenal to me.

This has nothing to do with loading screens, all to do with people trying to run it at max graphics, hardware doesn't support it and yeah, with the popins its not optimized for it, hopefully that new graphics company they bought will help

Posted

Not 100% sure what's the cause of low fps, but it has to do with CPU utilisation. This game just can't use all your CPU power.

Probbably has to do something with spreading differend tasks on more cores. Maybe they can't devide those tasks on more than few cores. Who knows.

I just hope one day they will fix that for us, so we can enjoy this game like we should.

Posted

i get 60 fps at 4k ( medium graphics , high textures, no optimization settings) at all times unless im inside a city, and im never inside the city so....idc

Same here, 60 FPS in "ultra" with improved distance and High end optimisation not at 4K just in 1920x1080 but i don't have any lag except yesterday due to firework indeed.
And in the city, sometimes i got around 50 FPS due to people around during rush hours.

I don't get why people are complaining about drop FPS, they usually want to play the game with ultra settings using a PC who can't support it, plus they usually have a tons of background applications or web page.

The game is ofc maybe not optimized at 100%, but it's good enough to play it with decent graphics even with a low config.

You should cry about desync instead of drop fps imo

1 person likes this

Posted

Not 100% sure what's the cause of low fps, but it has to do with CPU utilisation. This game just can't use all your CPU power.

Probbably has to do something with spreading differend tasks on more cores. Maybe they can't devide those tasks on more than few cores. Who knows.

I just hope one day they will fix that for us, so we can enjoy this game like we should.

I fear AMD ryzan soc will suffer greatly running bdo for this reason. Sure the benchmarks look good, but single core tasks suffer, memory channels is half the size of intels and you have to buy new MB, cooler and probably case.

Posted

Same here, 60 FPS in "ultra" with improved distance and High end optimisation not at 4K just in 1920x1080 but i don't have any lag except yesterday due to firework indeed.And in the city, sometimes i got around 50 FPS due to people around during rush hours.

I don't get why people are complaining about drop FPS, they usually want to play the game with ultra settings using a PC who can't support it, plus they usually have a tons of background applications or web page.

The game is ofc maybe not optimized at 100%, but it's good enough to play it with decent graphics even with a low config.

You should cry about desync instead of drop fps imo

I guess you were not on Olvia1 chanel ... try to get high fps in towns and cities on those chanels. There are just too many players around xD 

And why do people complain about FPS drop? Because it's 2017 and the very least they could do, is to provide game that can run at stable 60fps all the time. It's not like we are asking for 144fps on 144Hz g-sync monitor lol.

I fear AMD ryzan soc will suffer greatly running bdo for this reason. Sure the benchmarks look good, but single core tasks suffer, memory channels is half the size of intels and you have to buy new MB, cooler and probably case.

Leaked informations are bad. Some says that R7 1700X was at stock without turbo (3,3GHz), and i7 6800k was OCed to 4,7GHz. First of all, it's small miracle that i7 6800k can even run at 4,7GHz, but okay. Why didn't they compare clock to clock ... set i7 6800k to 3,3GHz and test it against R7 1700X at 3,3GHz.

Or better yet, test it against i7 6900k at 3,3GHz, so we have 8c/16t vs same setup. That would give us better informations about IPC gains.

If Ryzen will be able to get up to 4,5GHz when overclocked, that would be great. But why is everyone testing Ryzen at stock without even turbo boost ... Maybe turbo boost doesn't work on Ryzen? Maybe it can't go over 3,3GHz? Who knows lol

I hope that AMD will succed with this release, so we have some competition on CPU market.

But I'm 100% sure, that Ryzen won't come close to i7 7700k at 5,0GHz when testing single core performance.

Posted (edited)

It's lack of optimization.

With open world games, the engine only loads X number of cells around you at a time (hence pop-ins), and purges the other cells as you pass out of them.  Lag (dropped FPS), then, would be due to specific objects loaded in those cells.  If meshes and textures aren't optimized, then you face lag when multiple unoptimized meshes and textures are loaded at once.  This is why you see lag in Heidel, Calpheon, or areas with lots of players around, but don't see any lag when on the ocean (as very, very few objects are loaded).

We may also be seeing issues with memory leaks, which would also cause slow-downs.  But I suspect the issue is due to graphics more than memory leaks.

The solution, then, is to optimize meshes and textures to reduce FPS drops (lowering polygon counts, using textures from higher resolutions compressed down to lower resolutions--to preserve detail and sharpness, using parallax textures to make up for the lower resolution, improving the way the engine renders objects, particles, reflections, SSAO, and anti-aliasing).

Edited by Kyrielle_Atrinati

Posted

That's not how it works.

Also not an applicable argument. You can't just duck your head in the sand and scream "you can't compare them".

Posted (edited)

I guess you were not on Olvia1 chanel ... try to get high fps in towns and cities on those chanels. There are just too many players around xD 

And why do people complain about FPS drop? Because it's 2017 and the very least they could do, is to provide game that can run at stable 60fps all the time. It's not like we are asking for 144fps on 144Hz g-sync monitor lol.

Since the moment the game can run at 60 FPS full ULTRA is good enough. 144Hz is just optionnal, i can understand you'd like to have 144 FPS at ultra settings but whatever it shouldn't be that much annoying to play at 60 FPS full ultra IMO. Especially on a MMO.

Plus, MMO of nowadays are just here too make a tons of money, they probably don't give a shit about guys who want to play at 144 fps ultra settings, they prolly don't want to waste money to optimisation for somes players.

BTW, what the heck are you in Olvia 1 ? There's enough channel to dispatch players. Maybe for the boost exp ? I have to admit, Olvia Channel & Velia Channel are LOCK on my game, i can't join them (Prolly perma full) and i feel good playing without that boost if i can farm without finding a guy on my spot every five minutes !

Edited by Vlew

Posted

Since the moment the game can run at 60 FPS full ULTRA is good enough. 144Hz is just optionnal, i can understand you'd like to have 144 FPS at ultra settings but whatever it shouldn't be that much annoying to play at 60 FPS full ultra IMO. Especially on a MMO.
Plus, MMO of nowadays are just here too make a tons of money, they probably don't give a shit about guys who want to play at 144 fps ultra settings, they prolly don't want to waste money to optimisation for somes players.

BTW, what the heck are you in Olvia 1 ? There's enough channel to dispatch players. Maybe for the boost exp ? I have to admit, Olvia Channel & Velia Channel are LOCK on my game, i can't join them (Prolly perma full) and i feel good playing without that boost if i can farm without finding a guy on my spot every five minutes !

Olvia chanel is only for new and returning players. I can be on that chanel only 1 more day xD 

And yes, 60fps is enough for me .... but need to be stable all the time. If they mannage to optimise it that well, they will become the best MMORPG. Even WoW and GW2 have that problem with fps. If BDO wan't to be that differend, they can also provide 60fps stable at all times :P 

Posted

So why is it that every sentence of yours ends with that stupid parenthesis that has a flower? Is it so that we can think you are a female? If so Bob, please cease to try so hard.

Seriously, it's the most persistent attempt I've seen at some one trying so hard. There is something about that shit that drives me nuts.

Posted

Olvia chanel is only for new and returning players. I can be on that chanel only 1 more day xD

Oh that's why i can't go there ahah !

Posted

So why is it that every sentence of yours ends with that stupid parenthesis that has a flower? Is it so that we can think you are a female? If so Bob, please cease to try so hard.

Seriously, it's the most persistent attempt I've seen at some one trying so hard. There is something about that shit that drives me nuts.

(✿◡‿◡)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0