• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Interested in beginning to RP

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've never roleplayed before, but the thought of doing so in BDO is interesting to me. I tried roleplaying twice before, once in GW2, and once in ESO. The first time I couldn't come off as anything but goofy and immature sounding (was quite a few years ago now, hehe), and then in ESO I was incredibly stiff and uncomfortable with my character. I lost confidence really badly after both those events (from a gaming perspective) and gave up quickly. I'm not a very creative person at all. Should I try again in BDO, and read some RP tips and guides to help, or am I just not a person who will ever be an okay RPer? It's something I'd like to experience in a game for awhile, I think, but I wouldn't want to make a fool out of myself again. Any experienced RPers ever feel this way when they were new?

Second Update: Due to peoples encouragement I believe I actually shall at least attempt some RP, I'm not getting any younger and it is something I always wanted to do. Will start planning my character and working some things out.

Edited by Arvek
Updated again
3 people like this

Posted

It is perfectly normal to feel that way when you first start out with RP, everyone seems so much more experienced and like they know what they are doing etc. But as you go along you learn what it is you yourself enjoy and what you don't and things will become a whole lot less intimidating. :)

If you wish to make a good impression right off the bat I would certainly suggest reading up on RP first. I believe there are some sites listed here on the forums  but a quick google search will lead you to helpful places no doubt. Usually a list of do's and don't for RP is a good start and you will find that most of those lists consist of essentially the same things, such a no god modding, no meta gaming etc. 

The second tip I would give you is to simply observe the RP community a little bit before you dive right in, to get a feel for it as it were. Observing several groups for a few days can give you an idea of what sort of RP is about in game, since styles can vary greatly. 

Should worst come to worse and you feel like you messed up, there is no shame in admitting to having made a mistake and stating that you are still new to thing, most RPers are quite understanding when told. Sometimes it can be good to PM people and letting them know in advance. 

I hope this helps somewhat and good luck out there. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

No need to put yourself down so much! Many people are either just starting to RP for the first time, or this is the first mmo RP they've done (like they have a D&D background), some are old hats, and myself I've been out of practice for a few years.

I've found the RP communities to just be the sweetest souls out there. :x Very understanding and willing to help out. The main "do not's" are like Caelin said:

• Don't meta game (Character has knowledge that only the player should have, like another Characters name without an introduction. )
  • Add brackets for OOC (out of character) like: ((brb I got to answer my phone))
  • Generally don't control other people's characters or NPCS unless they give the OK (I.E say "X tried to hug Y" instead of "X hugged Y")
  • Be understanding, just try to be friendly and you know, don't rage at someone for a typo. Or something

You do NOT have to agree to any RP things you don't like (some don't like erotic RP, some do, you should never feel bullied one way or the other). 

If you feel like your losing confidence or being awkward, own up to it! I started RP-ing (different game) with a very shy character, who was from a small village who did not know much. Because I didn't want to mess up the lore and I was very nervous. Play something you'll feel comfortable in, if you don't like to write up long paragraphs make your character dislike small talk! There are many ways to go about this.

I hope you give RP a shot again :3 it can be very fun! There is two topics here for light RP/open for everyone/no long commitment necessary that you can practice with and play around if you'd like to try.   

Best wishes to you, and anyone nervous to RP~ :x

Edited by Chi
2 people like this

Posted

This is my first time Ill be rping in a game. I definitely feel you! I started off on these forums a bit awkward... but thats ok. You learn, and I personally definitely am not gonna judge someone for making mistakes (I did, and someone gave me a heads up, and all was ok).

Your best bet, i think.. just try! And realize its totally ok to play a character thats awkward - that way you might not feel so pressured to act 'normal'.

I hope to see you in game sometime. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

Update: I was reading some guides, and I'm definitely not socially competent enough to RP. Sorry to waste peoples time reading this. I'll just enjoy the game other ways. Good luck with the RP everyone!

No, no, no~! Don't give up on RP!

Honestly, everyone (I think) starts off a bit weird. I used to be a 'Special Snowflake', in a way. As in; I wanted to be the most amazing and godlike thing, or I wanted to be something very Non-Friendly to the Lore.

Honestly, in RP, you just have to use your fantasy. Of course it's good to stick with the lore, but not many things are that Lore Breaking.

If you want I can play with you and we can do like... one-on-one RPs, if you're still interested. Heck, if you have Skype I can even try to teach you there!

RP doesn't have that many rules, pretty much the rules that do exist are just 'Logical Things to keep in mind'.

If you're still interested, well, do say so! It's always fun to meet new and old RP-ers alike, and it's usually twice as fun to teach people how to RP (If they're interested that is.)

You can't really 'Fail' in RP. Of course there are limits to what you can and can't do, but I can try to help with that (If you want my help of course! ^^)

1 person likes this

Posted

Arvek, I'd love to have you in my guild, and wish to extend you the invitation.

Our focus is PvP, PvE, and RP in any form from mild to deep. Nobody will judge you in our band. If you're a beginner, or just want to talk casually, that works for us.
Nobody will judge you for stepping out of character and just taking a break.
We'll help you do either without loading you with tons of requirements or dogma.
I'm looking for combatants who can tolerate and potentially enjoy roleplay.
First and foremost, combatants, who can follow orders and work independently, and commit to levelling up fast.

As far as roleplay goes... No need to read a bunch of guides. I feel that we can hang out with you naturally and smoothly, especially if you're the stuff quiet type.
I'm one myself. I play a mercenary captain, a knight errant, man of few words. Our band is mostly hardened brigands, with the exception of a few.

Give us a try.

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/12067-ravens-of-war-pvxrp/

Cheers, mate!

1 person likes this

Posted

Been RP'ing 12 years in MMO's and even after this long, going into a new game with new faces is exciting and a little intimidating even for veterans. Don't feel overwhelmed, it's an amazing way to be creative. Everyone starts off somewhere, best thing to do is get your feet wet and just find yourself a good group of people, or person, be mindful and with an open mind, and remember to just relax and have fun.

Posted

I'm excited to lose my RP virginity to this wonderful BDO community. I RP a furry IRL, so I have plenty of experience. What class would be best suited to my life? Maybe tamer because of their pet? I've never experimented with yiffing and think that might be a bit off the deep end too quickly :/ Please help!!

1 person likes this

Posted

Jesus.

Posted (edited)

You'll get all sorts of answers, but the best way to get into RP is to start with your character. Imagine their ambitions; their desires; their fears; their joys; their history. You are a writing breathing life into that character by way of the pen...or keyboard, as it were.

Do you have any particular ideas for a character in mind yet?

If you'd like help in designing a character and getting them ready for RP, message me! I'm always happy to help people out! I can help you get format and solidify your ideas, then we can do a solo RP session to help you get a feel for the waters of Roleplaying without worrying about any sort of pressure you might be feeling! I'm here to help, and so is the rest of the BDO-RP community! ^_^

--------------------------------

*Jezza needs to learn to troll more subtly*

Werewolf might be more your flavor. It's an interesting class with good bulk and CCing abilities.

werewolf3.thumb.PNG.682a971144df7961319c

Edited by Rayl
Justice and Werewolves!

Posted

@Rayl, come on man, dont scare the newbies.

Posted

You'll get all sorts of answers, but the best way to get into RP is to start with your character. Imagine their ambitions; their desires; their fears; their joys; their history. You are a writing breathing life into that character by way of the pen...or keyboard, as it were.

Do you have any particular ideas for a character in mind yet?

If you'd like help in designing a character and getting them ready for RP, message me! I'm always happy to help people out! I can help you get format and solidify your ideas, then we can do a solo RP session to help you get a feel for the waters of Roleplaying without worrying about any sort of pressure you might be feeling! I'm here to help, and so is the rest of the BDO-RP community! ^_^

Werewolf might be more your flavor. It's an interesting class with good bulk and CCing abilities.

werewolf3.thumb.PNG.682a971144df7961319c

is it possible to CC lock them so that I can, umm, have my way with them? If you get what I'm saying :/ I'm also into the BDSM scene, so I was wondering if I could do some furry x BDSM RP with this CC? If not, I can roll a tamer and practice on my pet until I feel ready to give it a go with another person!!

Thank you for your advice! I look forwards to your response

Posted

@Rayl, come on man, dont scare the newbies.

I'm scaring no one but myself, Fiain. :D

Offer still stands if you'd like help @Arvek! Never be afraid to enjoy your imagination and the wonderful world of collaborative story-writing! ^_^

Posted (edited)

I'm scaring no one but myself, Fiain. :D

Offer still stands if you'd like help @Arvek! Never be afraid to enjoy your imagination and the wonderful world of collaborative story-writing! ^_^

I'm thinking about it, for sure! I'm a very shy person, and I'd have a hard time getting past that at first. I don't really have any ideas for characters yet. I'm going to be alt hopping a lot when BDO releases, but I guess I only would need to make one RP character. It interests me a lot to do this, its always been something I want to get into. My problem I think right now, going back to my first attempts at RP, is that I'm pretty slow with creative writing. I had a hard time even coming up with something to say then. I'll give it some thought, go tweak my warrior and see what I can stir up in my mind for a bit. I'll get back to you sometime! And thanks to you and everyone who has been so kind as to offer advice and assistance!

Edited by Arvek

Posted

I'm thinking about it, for sure! I'm a very shy person, and I'd have a hard time getting past that at first. I don't really have any ideas for characters yet. I'm going to be alt hopping a lot when BDO releases, but I guess I only would need to make one RP character. It interests me a lot to do this, its always been something I want to get into. My problem I think right now, going back to my first attempts at RP, is that I'm pretty slow with creative writing. I had a hard time even coming up with something to say then. I'll give it some thought, go tweak my warrior and see what I can stir up in my mind for a bit. I'll get back to you sometime! And thanks to you and everyone who has been so kind as to offer advice and assistance!

I'd suggest thinking up ideas for a character now. A good way to do this is to look at certain traits within yourself,people you know, other fictional characters, and find something to form a basis from and then proceed to flesh it out. I'll send you some helpful resources later to help you out; questionnaires, sample prompts, et cetera to elp get your creative juices flowing!

Remember, we have nothing to fear...but fear itself! (Also spiders. And Hurricanes...Spider Hurricanes...uuuuuuuuugh... 
:S )

Posted

I'd suggest thinking up ideas for a character now. A good way to do this is to look at certain traits within yourself,people you know, other fictional characters, and find something to form a basis from and then proceed to flesh it out. I'll send you some helpful resources later to help you out; questionnaires, sample prompts, et cetera to elp get your creative juices flowing!
Remember, we have nothing to fear...but fear itself! (Also spiders. And Hurricanes...Spider Hurricanes...uuuuuuuuugh... 

is that like, a way way worse version of sharknado?

Posted

is that like, a way way worse version of sharknado?

Yes, because its easy to dodge a few sharks in comparison to TRILLIONS UPON TRILLIONS OF TINY HARMLESS SPIDERS THAT SKITTER ABOUT EVERYWHERE UPON YOUR PERSON.

--------

But that's neither here nor there nor relevant to the topic at hand.

Posted

Indeed, I'm working on that tonight before I go to bed. When I check out CBT2 tomorrow I'll make sure to take in the world and as much lore as I can, and I think that will help me get some ideas. I know I don't want my character to be a blah blah special snowflake blah blah, but I don't want him to be too cookie cutter either. Other than that I don't have much of an idea yet, hehe.

Hurricane Spider sounds like the worst kind of hurricane, btw.

Posted

Indeed, I'm working on that tonight before I go to bed. When I check out CBT2 tomorrow I'll make sure to take in the world and as much lore as I can, and I think that will help me get some ideas. I know I don't want my character to be a blah blah special snowflake blah blah, but I don't want him to be too cookie cutter either. Other than that I don't have much of an idea yet, hehe.

Hurricane Spider sounds like the worst kind of hurricane, btw.

I'll be, and I do not jest, playing as Abraham Lincoln (jokingly) tomorrow (NA Region, naturally). If we meet up we can adventure merrily and help you out further! :) 

(...there's a storm outside my house right now...what if its blowing all the spider around? I'm afraid to go outside right now.)

Posted (edited)

I've never roleplayed before, but the thought of doing so in BDO is interesting to me. I tried roleplaying twice before, once in GW2, and once in ESO. The first time I couldn't come off as anything but goofy and immature sounding (was quite a few years ago now, hehe), and then in ESO I was incredibly stiff and uncomfortable with my character. I lost confidence really badly after both those events (from a gaming perspective) and gave up quickly. I'm not a very creative person at all. Should I try again in BDO, and read some RP tips and guides to help, or am I just not a person who will ever be an okay RPer? It's something I'd like to experience in a game for awhile, I think, but I wouldn't want to make a fool out of myself again. Any experienced RPers ever feel this way when they were new?

Second Update: Due to peoples encouragement I believe I actually shall at least attempt some RP, I'm not getting any younger and it is something I always wanted to do. Will start planning my character and working some things out.

When I first started RPing I felt like I had no creativity whatsoever. I struggled to make a character that didn't feel mechanical and fake. Eventually what worked for me was that I took a character from a movie I really enjoyed. Probably going to get some laughs here...but I liked the sassy, confident nature of Cher from Clueless. My first character was a spoiled brat of a high elf in Everquest and I thought it was perfect. Whenever I got stuck on a scene or how to respond in RP I would think "What would Cher do?" I depended on that type of thinking for awhile until I grew more confident in myself to know how I wanted to act. Not sure if it'll work for anyone else but it helped me get started.

Another thing I have to say for a beginner, which some people might disagree with, is to focus on your character's personality and traits before the backstory. Backstory can always be added or altered later unless it's directly tied to your daily RP (which... would probably not be a good idea to make it that way anyway). Once you get more comfortable and the creative juices get flowing, you can make some crazy in-depth stuff.

Hopefully we'll meet in game, Espi tends to bother anyone and everyone.

Edited by Espionetta
1 person likes this

Posted

I'll be, and I do not jest, playing as Abraham Lincoln (jokingly) tomorrow (NA Region, naturally). If we meet up we can adventure merrily and help you out further! :) 

(...there's a storm outside my house right now...what if its blowing all the spider around? I'm afraid to go outside right now.)

I would certainly join up with you. Sounds like a lot of fun. Send me a pm if you want when you are on and I'll try to get some time in game. I'm waking up at 5 am tomorrow because I have a problem with life choices and really want to play BDO, hehe, but I'll probably play in the evening tomorrow as well after an extended break.

When I first started RPing I felt like I had no creativity whatsoever. I struggled to make a character that didn't feel mechanical and fake. Eventually what worked for me was that I took a character from a movie I really enjoyed. Probably going to get some laughs here...but I liked the sassy, confident nature of Cher form Clueless. My first character was a spoiled brat of a high elf in Everquest and I thought it was perfect. Whenever I got stuck on a scene or how to respond in RP I would think "What would Cher do?" I depended on that type of thinking for awhile until I grew more confident in myself to know how I wanted to act. Not sure if it'll work for anyone else but it helped me get started.

Another thing I have to say for a beginner, which some people might disagree with, is to focus on your character's personality and traits before the backstory. Backstory can always be added to altered later unless it's directly tied to your daily RP (which... would probably not be a good idea to make it that way anyway). Once you get more comfortable and the creative juices get flowing, you can make some crazy in-depth stuff.

Hopefully we'll meet in game, Espi tends to both anyone and everyone.

I have that problem right now. I'll work on the traits tonight, but I think when I finally see the game unfold a bit in CBT, I'll really get a better understanding of how to fit a character into the world, hopefully. Thank you for the advice! I'm trying to absorb all of this information so I can make some progress.

2 people like this

Posted

I would certainly join up with you. Sounds like a lot of fun. Send me a pm if you want when you are on and I'll try to get some time in game. I'm waking up at 5 am tomorrow because I have a problem with life choices and really want to play BDO, hehe, but I'll probably play in the evening tomorrow as well after an extended break.

I'm here in Pacific Time. I'll be on around 3:10PM...but might be able to sneak on from 11:00AM to 12:30PM. I'm largely just using the CBT2 time to get a feel for the game, check for notable issues to report, and maybe goof off with the newly founded RP gang I've stumbled into/helped create.

Just look for the Emancipator. Won't be able to miss him; he's a very tall wizard.

Emancipate2.thumb.PNG.19d65e82fc16beea1f

2 people like this

Posted

I'm here in Pacific Time. I'll be on around 3:10PM...but might be able to sneak on from 11:00AM to 12:30PM. I'm largely just using the CBT2 time to get a feel for the game, check for notable issues to report, and maybe goof off with the newly founded RP gang I've stumbled into/helped create.

Just look for the Emancipator. Won't be able to miss him; he's a very tall wizard.

Emancipate2.thumb.PNG.19d65e82fc16beea1f

Awesome, I'll keep that in mind. I'm paying attention to where the RPers are going, server wise. Hopefully we end up in the same place. I'll look around during those times, if I can. That Abe Lincoln character is great!

Posted

Awesome, I'll keep that in mind. I'm paying attention to where the RPers are going, server wise. Hopefully we end up in the same place. I'll look around during those times, if I can. That Abe Lincoln character is great!

As I"m sure you've read then, I'll be standing proud (if not a bit insanely) in Orwen for CBT2.

I'll probably spend most of my time in Balenos and Serendia, exploring the area and pretending to free people from the bondage of slavery.

Posted

Hey there! So many nice people here. I also feel a little nervous about RPing in game, but honestly it's something I would love to do.
I was in a RP group in Wakfu that was a little too serious for me to follow along with everyone with their super deep character backgrounds etc. Same for back when WoW had clone servers hovering around for RP before they all got culled off, people just didn't seem interested to RP with someone who was singularly on their own and there was no open community of people posting and advertising RP groups on servers.

I'd hate to say I'm a veteran Rper since I've fallen from the RP scene for a fair few years, although I've been rping since before I was in my double digits. feeling like a wee baby trying to step back into the scene I'd love to meet some new people who are alright to have a less fleshed out character joining them to start with while I get my feet into the world and style of Black Desert.
I've made all my characters off of old OCs I've created previously so it's not like I'm stuck for character ideas, just some nice company Ic and ooc!
( Also to note I'm in UK so depending on the servers I'll be EU! )

I'll be looking at the openRp threads that were linked above now.