• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Interested in beginning to RP

33 posts in this topic

Posted

having only rp'd out of game for years with 1 person I find it really hard to start with other people--- but when I started with that one person i made alllll the mistakes. Its okay to mess up but try to learn from the awkwardness

Posted (edited)

Wow! :x So glad to see everybody coming together, warms the bottom of my heart. <3

I'm really glad your giving it another shot Arvek! 

Now if anyone is a lore junkie like m'self I'll link to some good reading of BDO under the spoiler tag, take all of it with a gain of salt though.

http://www.blackdesertroleplayers.com/lore

http://blackdesert.info/lore

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uDTE7zl2gNzfxy2s_oIuVHKGYOKh5IjoaQeocyEdfr4/edit

I reserved my forum name as a family name for launch (NA) so If anyone wants to pop over and say hi or wants to talk with PMs here your more than welcome to! (everyone else was offering so now it'd feel weird not to do the same)  

Best tip I think I can give for anyone though: have fun. Don't stress too much about needing a backstory or a set of character traits, or that people won't want to play along. Honestly unless someone is afk or really busy most RPer's enjoy random interactions, it can highlight their day to get some fresh blood into the action. Just like when a random person says "You look nice!" on the street. :) And the more you play the more you can just make character traits as you go along. 

If you want to make a long sheet beforehand? GREAT! if you just want to jump into the game and run with that? Also GREAT! You don't need to play as the character the whole time either, that drains even the best of us. Just, have fun. :x 

Edited by Chi
Had to replace a word, because sensitive forum censoring >.<

Posted

Can I just say - with the utmost sincerity - wow.  I wasn't expecting to find such a nice roleplaying community on the BDO forums.  You all seem really great, and it makes me to happy to see encouragement to rp for someone a little timid, because I know how hard it can be to get comfortable with it.  I know I'm a little late to the party here (as in 10 days, yikes), but I was just really happy to see such nice people and it made me want to respond myself.  I hope to see you all around the forums more or even in game.

And have tons of fun rping Arvek!  If you find people that you have fun with as well, it can double your rping experience (I mean, think about plays, if the actors and actresses all get along, the experience is better for everyone!)  Remember, its supposed to be fun for you.  So like Chi said, don't stress about it. ^_^

1 person likes this

Posted

Can I just say - with the utmost sincerity - wow.  I wasn't expecting to find such a nice roleplaying community on the BDO forums.  You all seem really great, and it makes me to happy to see encouragement to rp for someone a little timid, because I know how hard it can be to get comfortable with it.  I know I'm a little late to the party here (as in 10 days, yikes), but I was just really happy to see such nice people and it made me want to respond myself.  I hope to see you all around the forums more or even in game.

And have tons of fun rping Arvek!  If you find people that you have fun with as well, it can double your rping experience (I mean, think about plays, if the actors and actresses all get along, the experience is better for everyone!)  Remember, its supposed to be fun for you.  So like Chi said, don't stress about it. ^_^

The role players here are great! I got in with a cool RP guild that I'm happy with, and got to go to my first event during CBT2. I learned a lot from it, fleshed out my character after and have been having a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to the adventures and times to be had with them and the RP community here at large. I was pretty timid about it at first, but I have a lot more confidence now. Thanks for the encouragement from yourself, as well! I hope you have a good experience as well. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

I love the way Arvek's character is turning out to be. It truly is a shining example that you don't have to be social to portray the role properly. Arvek is shy, so his character is shy. Goal centric and eager to get back to work. He's a mercenary through and through, though I'm very curious how his character develops in the future!

The role players here are great! I got in with a cool RP guild that I'm happy with, and got to go to my first event during CBT2. I learned a lot from it, fleshed out my character after and have been having a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to the adventures and times to be had with them and the RP community here at large. I was pretty timid about it at first, but I have a lot more confidence now. Thanks for the encouragement from yourself, as well! I hope you have a good experience as well. :)

You're a great player to have and I'm truly glad you're with us!

Let it be an encouragement for all beginning roleplayers out there - don't worry about it, just roll with it!

Posted (edited)

as so many people stated and i must say the same. you will inevitably come across times when it wont feel right or that some people take it wrong, but the essence of RP'ing is to improve and be who you want to be. many thing s will improve, not only your imagination but your speaking(typing) abilities. "each great journey first begins with a single step". when making your "RP self" the first question you should ask is, "who are you?". there is thousands of combinations that can come together to form the "you" that you wish to be. wether it be meek and mild to chipper and up beat.

in the end, all i can say to any knew RP'ing players is this. "expect to fail a lot. in-fact i encourage it. you will learn, grow, and improve. you will get to a point were stuff starts to make sence, to were you can be, the "you" that will make you smile."

Edited by Daita

Posted

I've never roleplayed before, but the thought of doing so in BDO is interesting to me. I tried roleplaying twice before, once in GW2, and once in ESO. The first time I couldn't come off as anything but goofy and immature sounding (was quite a few years ago now, hehe), and then in ESO I was incredibly stiff and uncomfortable with my character. I lost confidence really badly after both those events (from a gaming perspective) and gave up quickly. I'm not a very creative person at all. Should I try again in BDO, and read some RP tips and guides to help, or am I just not a person who will ever be an okay RPer? It's something I'd like to experience in a game for awhile, I think, but I wouldn't want to make a fool out of myself again. Any experienced RPers ever feel this way when they were new?

Second Update: Due to peoples encouragement I believe I actually shall at least attempt some RP, I'm not getting any younger and it is something I always wanted to do. Will start planning my character and working some things out.

I can help you. Just contact,

Family Name: Ryujinn

Character Name: Lykaon

Server: Orwen

Channel: Calpheon O2

I'm doing casual tavern RP all the time. I'm also a veteran in RP, so helping out a person new to RP is always great. :D I also do a lot of private RP with people.