• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Epheria Sailboat : Boatman

24 posts in this topic

Posted

Here is a list of the boatman I could find on BD Database, where they are on the map and a pic with their amity interests there for you as well. All appear to need 500 amity and the one I picked +1 speed was pretty wicked easy. 

Looking into the upgrade quest line at the moment I will post some stuff on that later. 

Boatman Map.png

3 people like this

Posted

im sure almost everyone knows that but does anyone know how to promote them? i heard u have to reach next rank in sailing and do something?

Posted (edited)

im sure almost everyone knows that but does anyone know how to promote them? i heard u have to reach next rank in sailing and do something?

Best I can tell you get this once you have Skilled 1 Sailing, 1000 Amity(note they just changed this amtiy game from flippant to sucke')  and a Boatman in your inventory

Screenshot_1.png

Upgrade quest green.png

Screenshot_4.png

Then I assume you complete this and get the next tier, thing to note here is if you turn in your boatman he will keep it till this thing is done. Doing it last looks like great option, other than going to get another one as I did.. just now.. 

Edited by GreenBeanDemon

Posted

Are the boatman promotions Temporary or permanent? 

Posted

Are the boatman promotions Temporary or permanent? 

As far as i know they're permanent since there are supposed to be higher tier promotions though you need to reach a higher sailing skill for those so it will take some time until the next promotion.

Red

Posted

Can you have more than one boatman?  And how does this work with needing guild items to advance individual's ships?

Oh and is there any truth to the rumor of all the seas giving sailing exp in the near future?

Posted

Can you have more than one boatman?  And how does this work with needing guild items to advance individual's ships?

Oh and is there any truth to the rumor of all the seas giving sailing exp in the near future?

you can only have one boatman active on the ship at any one time - but you can have the rest in inv  and swap if needed. the guild items are not really guild items, as in, you can have them in your inv and craft the  needed mat from them and then place in your storage. sailing % costumes soon and sposed to be more % at sea.

Posted (edited)

Took me a bit to get around to getting this stuff but here it is. 

Turn in this......

RCoral.thumb.png.2c8fe3bdb78be528bbdce64neidan.thumb.png.e966c0e5a8ddb9e145d6874coin.thumb.png.88996ac51bcc3961b122750fa

Then he says this.....

Qprogess_1.thumb.png.ecd0ca84562b633853b

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.7dac9ca8727723eb7

Then you get this, then I assume that he takes this haul of matts and bounces off to live like a king in Patagonia. You come back tomorrow and he will say.. "I am not the real Philaberto......" ( will check tomorrow .. to be continued ... )

Green_Bravant.thumb.png.7a74f2528b3a5734

EDIT: So you RENT this thing?! O.o  just noticed the timer.. OOook, how did I miss this ..son of.. 

Edited by GreenBeanDemon
2 people like this

Posted

Thanks for taking one for the team, @GreenBeanDemon; I'm not quite Skilled 1 sailing, but now I know for sure I'll be skipping that extra 2% speed for a week.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for taking one for the team, @GreenBeanDemon; I'm not quite Skilled 1 sailing, but now I know for sure I'll be skipping that extra 2% speed for a week.

Yeah, I will need a very nice clear and present cookie in mind to want 2% for only a week. Assuming that the 10% one at Master ( no idea on this yet ) 10% for a week would make it more interesting for sure. 

Continued...

Daily reset, I can see the same quest pictured above. Though only if I have a base boatman in my inventory otherwise it does not appear. I'll update what happens when the upgraded one's timer ticks off. Hoping for some cheap refill option! :)

Edited by GreenBeanDemon

Posted

Yeah, I will need a very nice clear and present cookie in mind to want 2% for only a week. Assuming that the 10% one at Master ( no idea on this yet ) 10% for a week would make it more interesting for sure. 

Continued...

Daily reset, I can see the same quest pictured above. Though only if I have a base boatman in my inventory otherwise it does not appear. I'll update what happens when the upgraded one's timer ticks off. Hoping for some cheap refill option! :)

I wanted to update everyone on this as well but totally forgot about it so since you've already provided info on the promotion, i'll update the rest :P

You can use following item to renew the contract: http://bddatabase.net/us/item/9581/

You need to do a amity game to get it, you need a base amity of 500 and every purchase reduces it by 100. I don't know why but i already had around 567 amity with that NPC so i was already able to purchase 1. After that i played the amity game 3x of which 1 game sucked but the other 2 were quite easy and i got around 300-400 amity per game so i purchased a weeks worth of contracts and should still have a bit of amity left to buy more.

It costs 150k silver to buy 1 contract and once used it's supposed to renew the contract by 24h which might be good or not... not sure about that yet but the biggest annoyance is that the item doesn't stack so if you don't want to renew the contract for many days at once then you'll have to carry the contracts with you or run back to the NPC each day to get a new one.

I don't know yet how exactly it works once you use the item nor if it can be used for more than 1 day since i haven't used it yet but my contract will expire in about 15h so i can update you on this.

Red

1 person likes this

Posted

Seem to be unnecessarily difficult.  Probably won't be useful until there are actual node wars out at sea.  Unless you really really need to be at Port Ratt 3% faster than before.

Posted

I've obtained Bravant via the amity game and added him to my Epheria Sailboat, and presume I get a 1% speed boost. I'm still at beginner Sailing but have the needed 1000 amity with Philberto so he talks to me about the Boatman training and says I should return when I am Skilled. 

From this thread I now see what the quest to upgrade Bravant will be. This looks to be overly complicated, time consuming, and expensive. And if the upgrade to the Boatman's level has to be renewed repeatedly, I will likely not do it, and doubt many others will either.

I see a mention in a previous reply of sailing experience being achievable more easily, as in all sailing should award some xp. I agree.

So far, I've tried 1 trade run to Ratt and was killed by a Phantom Pirate. I kept getting 'Evade' messages, but there didn't seem to be any way to evade. I then tried to fight, but was already in low health by that time, and it was impossible to steer my ship away. I see a note that suggests I may be able to use my cannon on his ship and may try that if necessary. note. I'm L49, and don't know if that makes the trip to Ratt impossible via my own boat? I've been there on the ferry and have Ratt on my world map now.

Posted

I've obtained Bravant via the amity game and added him to my Epheria Sailboat, and presume I get a 1% speed boost. I'm still at beginner Sailing but have the needed 1000 amity with Philberto so he talks to me about the Boatman training and says I should return when I am Skilled. 

From this thread I now see what the quest to upgrade Bravant will be. This looks to be overly complicated, time consuming, and expensive. And if the upgrade to the Boatman's level has to be renewed repeatedly, I will likely not do it, and doubt many others will either.

I see a mention in a previous reply of sailing experience being achievable more easily, as in all sailing should award some xp. I agree.

So far, I've tried 1 trade run to Ratt and was killed by a Phantom Pirate. I kept getting 'Evade' messages, but there didn't seem to be any way to evade. I then tried to fight, but was already in low health by that time, and it was impossible to steer my ship away. I see a note that suggests I may be able to use my cannon on his ship and may try that if necessary. note. I'm L49, and don't know if that makes the trip to Ratt impossible via my own boat? I've been there on the ferry and have Ratt on my world map now.

Currently leveling up sailing seems to be more of a "i'm bored" or "yay let's see what the skill do" kind of thing since it consumes alot of time. I can also tell you that once you reach Skilled 1 it seems to double the time you need to sail to get 1% which i haven't tried without any bonus exp yet cause it's long and annoying but it's more than 15min if you have no bonus like from food, elixir or pets.

If this should also be the case once you reach Professional 1 then i assume the time to be around 40min for 1%, at Artisan it should be around 1,5h for 1% and at Master 1 around 3,5 hours for 1%. Also the time needed for 1% increases after each level up not only at every stage like Apprentice, Skilled, Professional, etc. and during each level while i had Apprentice Sailing it was around 20sec and sometimes or maybe once i hit Apprentice 10 (not sure) it increased by 40 sec and those increases are meant for each % you get not the whole 100%. I believe that i noted this increases including my buffs so the actual increase might actually be a bit higher but using a bonus exp of 21% it took me around 12 hours active sailing to get from Apprentice 10 to Skilled 1. I've done some tests myself but so far i have no idea as to how the exp gain really works, the only thing i know for sure is that active sailing is a bit faster than autopathing by pressing T.

You wrote that you got killed so i assume that you were sailing on a fishing boat but not a Epheria Sailboat right? It is possible to avoid sea monsters and pirates and get to Port Ratt but there are also some sea monsters that do quite alot of dmg (50k+) per hit so it's dangerous once you encounter these since they are able to catch up, also don't enter a tornado cause it does around 210k dmg to the Epheria Sailboat so it's quite dangerous on a fishing boat.

Neither Sea Monsters nor Pirates drop anything that will make you personally rich. All the items dropped are necessary crafting items but they can only be sold to a guild shop NPC and therefore can only be used to increase the guild fund. You could use them to craft other items which you then sell on the market though but that's up to you..

Currently the Ghost Ship seems to be the only monster which actually drops something that will benefit you personally. So far i've destroyed the Ghost Ship itself once and received nothing, i also killed the Monster it spawns on my boat many times and either received nothing or 1-2 gold bars worth 100k each, a pearl maybe or those seals which you can trade in for something once you have enough of it but a guildmate of mine said that he also received a gold chest once which can be opened using a gold key. Btw. once you kill the monster that has spawned on your ship the Ghost Ship will disappear and you can sail again but sometimes it happens that no monster will spawn so either destroy the Ghost Ship if you want to or simply relog/change channels.

Guess that's all for now... and i'll be ingame in about 10-15min at which time i will renew the contract of my boatman (didn't do it yesterday cause i didn't wanna lose time due to maintenance) and then i'll post you details about it.

Red

Posted

I was killed on my Epheria Sailboat  by the Phantom Pirate. I had tried to reach Ratt once on a regular fishing baot previously and was caught and killed by 'regular' pirates in the small sailboats with black sails. Maybe I just have bad luck, but I had wanted to stay at L49 and avoid pvp until I had finished with all the content around Calpheon and Heidel and gotten all the Energy and Contrib points available there. I used building an Epheria Sailboat as my level-up focus project.

Posted (edited)

I was killed on my Epheria Sailboat  by the Phantom Pirate. I had tried to reach Ratt once on a regular fishing baot previously and was caught and killed by 'regular' pirates in the small sailboats with black sails. Maybe I just have bad luck, but I had wanted to stay at L49 and avoid pvp until I had finished with all the content around Calpheon and Heidel and gotten all the Energy and Contrib points available there. I used building an Epheria Sailboat as my level-up focus project.

Ah yes, i call that Phantom Ship "Ghost Ship" so at first i thought you meant one of those NPC Pirates :P Once that Phantom Ship appears the only way to get rid of it is to either destroy the ship itself using a cannon and while you have mounted a cannon the monster which spawns on your Sailboat can't dmg you and the other option which is faster and much cheaper is to kill the monster which spawns on your Sailboat though without decent gear it's possible that it will kill you. I assume that the color of it is purple for you since you're lvl 49 but there's also a third option you can use and that is to change channels or to relog.

As long as you stay on the upper part of your Sailboat that monster won't attack you and will only keep on attacking your Sailboat but even while you're up there the attacks of the Phantom Ship will hit you and therefore abort your try to change channels/relog. To avoid this you have to get up on the storage part of your Sailboat which is the cage part (if you have nothing stored on your boat it looks like  cage and else it has a red cloth over it) and then relog or change channels and once you do that the Phantom Ship will be gone.

And here's the guide to renewing a boatmans contract:

1. Once the contract of your Boatman has expired the part with "Effective Time:" in the description will change to "X Expires in" but your Boatman will still be equipped to your Sailboat without giving you the bonus Speed, Acceleration, etc. depending on the Boatman you chose. Once you unequip it you won't be able to equip it again until you renew the contract but you can still store it in the storage of your Sailboat.

g4SKnYq.png

2. To renew the contract put the Boatman in your inventory and then right click on the Contract Renewal item and following window will appear:

rqTxUJd.png

3. After that right click on your Boatman to place it in the empty slot:

inbVLJJ.png

4. I am not sure if clicking on + or - actually does anything cause nothing happened in my case but once you click on confirm the contract of your Boatman will be renewed:

N2DDH7R.png

5. It's possible to renew it more than 1 time and it seems like you can do it up to 7 times to renew the contract for a total duration of a week. I have only renewed it for 2 days at once cause i didn't need it longer but once you have renewed the contract and want to extend that duration you will get following message in which it mentions a "original period" which i assume to be the 7 days it started with when i received it:

Dhl5evo.png

Red

Edited by RedThunder
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thx RedT,

I admit I haven't fired my cannon's yet. They are still the 'as-issued' cannons and I haven't upgraded them to the one's sold by the various Wharf Masters (5m if I recall correctly).

I will admit to being a bit put off by the idea I have to renew the contract of my boatman. He wasn't easy to acquire in the first place. Does it cost the 500k each day of renewal?  I did get Bravant before my sailboat was finished and had him ready to add to the boat.

I'll give it another try to reach Ratt in my own boat today after I get a few rl chores done. I guess I should buy some cannon balls before I cast off. TY for the hint about climbing on the storage box and changing channels if needed to get away from the Phantom Ship..

Oh yes, the Phantom Pirate was a 'purple' and he killed me easily, but I admit I haven't been doing anything except professions/crafting/fishing since I hit L49 over a month ago.

RedD

Edited by Reddervish

Posted

Thx RedT,

I admit I haven't fired my cannon's yet. They are still the 'as-issued' cannons and I haven't upgraded them to the one's sold by the various Wharf Masters (5m if I recall correctly).

I will admit to being a bit put off by the idea I have to renew the contract of my boatman. He wasn't easy to acquire in the first place. Does it cost the 500k each day of renewal?  I did get Bravant before my sailboat was finished and had him ready to add to the boat.

I'll give it another try to reach Ratt in my own boat today after I get a few rl chores done. I guess I should buy some cannon balls before I cast off. TY for the hint about climbing on the storage box and changing channels if needed to get away from the Phantom Ship..

Oh yes, the Phantom Pirate was a 'purple' and he killed me easily, but I admit I haven't been doing anything except professions/crafting/fishing since I hit L49 over a month ago.

RedD

I've already hunted a few times by myself and believe that it's just a waste of time and money. I think it took me about 60 shots or so to kill the Phantom Ship (btw. i also don't use any upgrades) which means i've wasted 600k silver without any gain <.< and even the easiest sea monsters take about 40-50 hits to kill and the only items you get are crafting material which you can sell to the guild shop NPC but that only increases the guild fund so i suggest you go hunting using the guild galley and in a group of 5 which is the best option if you guys know what to do.

I've already explained everything regarding the contract etc. above so please take a look there so that i don't have to copy/paste it all here :P

Red

Posted (edited)

deleted.

Edited by Reddervish

Posted

Ah yes, i call that Phantom Ship "Ghost Ship" so at first i thought you meant one of those NPC Pirates :P Once that Phantom Ship appears the only way to get rid of it is to either destroy the ship itself using a cannon and while you have mounted a cannon the monster which spawns on your Sailboat can't dmg you and the other option which is faster and much cheaper is to kill the monster which spawns on your Sailboat though without decent gear it's possible that it will kill you. I assume that the color of it is purple for you since you're lvl 49 but there's also a third option you can use and that is to change channels or to relog.

As long as you stay on the upper part of your Sailboat that monster won't attack you and will only keep on attacking your Sailboat but even while you're up there the attacks of the Phantom Ship will hit you and therefore abort your try to change channels/relog. To avoid this you have to get up on the storage part of your Sailboat which is the cage part (if you have nothing stored on your boat it looks like  cage and else it has a red cloth over it) and then relog or change channels and once you do that the Phantom Ship will be gone.

And here's the guide to renewing a boatmans contract:

1. Once the contract of your Boatman has expired the part with "Effective Time:" in the description will change to "X Expires in" but your Boatman will still be equipped to your Sailboat without giving you the bonus Speed, Acceleration, etc. depending on the Boatman you chose. Once you unequip it you won't be able to equip it again until you renew the contract but you can still store it in the storage of your Sailboat.

g4SKnYq.png

2. To renew the contract put the Boatman in your inventory and then right click on the Contract Renewal item and following window will appear:

rqTxUJd.png

3. After that right click on your Boatman to place it in the empty slot:

inbVLJJ.png

4. I am not sure if clicking on + or - actually does anything cause nothing happened in my case but once you click on confirm the contract of your Boatman will be renewed:

N2DDH7R.png

5. It's possible to renew it more than 1 time and it seems like you can do it up to 7 times to renew the contract for a total duration of a week. I have only renewed it for 2 days at once cause i didn't need it longer but once you have renewed the contract and want to extend that duration you will get following message in which it mentions a "original period" which i assume to be the 7 days it started with when i received it:

Dhl5evo.png

Red

Looks like they used the lantern method and just changed it to suit this thing. That Bravant game was pretty easy last I did it so this should be pretty minor effort to oil up my Bravant Boatman for when I want to sail with the bonus speed. Interesting to know, feels more like a good investment than the oh w.t.f. moment I had before. 

Posted

We have a guild event where we go out with 2-3 Epheria ships and our Guild ship and hunt down creatures but mostly we hunt down pirate ships.  This adds a lot of money to our coffers.  We'll make more in one night of hunting than nearly a weeks worth of guild missions.  We also have a lot of fun with it as well as practicing different tactics.  We are working towards getting a second guild ship to make the hunting better and faster.

Here is some information too.  You can get knowledge of all the creatures and pirates by playing amity games with the npc's at Port Ratt.  Some are super easy but there are a couple that are a real pain in the ass.  Also, do the quest from the Guild Wharf manager at the end of the dock.  You get lots of exp for sailing.

2 people like this

Posted

We have a guild event where we go out with 2-3 Epheria ships and our Guild ship and hunt down creatures but mostly we hunt down pirate ships.  This adds a lot of money to our coffers.  We'll make more in one night of hunting than nearly a weeks worth of guild missions.  We also have a lot of fun with it as well as practicing different tactics.  We are working towards getting a second guild ship to make the hunting better and faster.

Here is some information too.  You can get knowledge of all the creatures and pirates by playing amity games with the npc's at Port Ratt.  Some are super easy but there are a couple that are a real pain in the ass.  Also, do the quest from the Guild Wharf manager at the end of the dock.  You get lots of exp for sailing.

That guy that wants to only talk about Dried Fish is evil! D: The others I had done most of .. but those dried fish.. none at all. 

1 person likes this

Posted

That guy that wants to only talk about Dried Fish is evil! D: The others I had done most of .. but those dried fish.. none at all. 

Don't forget the guy who has high interest in most of the knowledge yet offers 0 favor with all of them... i am already working on getting those two by greeting only.

Red

Posted

Hi all, really great information about promotions.

I happened to be questing and trying to polish off my knowledge of the sea regions and I noticed this on the NPC at Lema Island. Seems like a higher tier of promotion for your ship crew.

Looks like I need to be skilled to be able to do this. Btw I hovered over the bottom left to see what the 1k Amity rewards are.

Note: upon grinding 1k amity he still states I need to be skilled or higher (albeit slightly differently)

Happy sailing all!

2017-05-10_25839371.jpg