• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm still very new to this game, so please forgive my shortcomings. Feel free to correct me if my terminology and lingo aren't accurate. This testing was done on a Maehwa at level 18 for reference.

After thorough hours of testing I have found that the gamepad opinion is an extremely nice and useful feature, and I'm very thankful for it's implementation. Though with everything, no matter the greatness, some faults can always be found through trial, but with diligence addressed accordingly soon after if it's brought into the light. There were only a few things I noticed that if improved upon, would make for a much more engaging, thus enjoyable experience, with the already excellent performance of the gamepad. Perfection is always evolving and why it is so fun to strive for. No one is perfect, and practice makes better. With that being said let's move onto the topic at hand.

The very first thing I noticed when using the gamepad was how often I would unintentionally double tap a direction, executing a roll or dash, that caused the accidental use of the stamina and/or WP bar. I do understand how some people would prefer to use this feature, however I have come to the conclusion that any fast tilt to the left analog stick could generate this problem causing issues in the future. Seeing as customization is one of the key points, possibly most important, in setting keybindings, I don't think the complete removal of this is the right course of action. I do however suggest that in Settings, on the Game tab, under the Gamepad Settings, present the option to disable this feature by checking a box. Option reading: Disable Double Tap Movement. I'm unsure how possible this request is, but I think it would be very helpful and a much more forgiving addition then what is currently available. This is a game were a fast pace movement system is required to achieve optimize combat capabilities, so giving the option for a second guess moment would be very helpful, as I usually tap slightly unconventionally initializing this action. Second guessing ones own movement will cause this to happen more often then not, and this is why I believe this option would be a much welcomed improvement.

Lastly, while I was setting all of my keybindings to the gamepad, I noticed a rather bazaar thing. While holding down the bumpers, which I gather act as the function keys, I realized you are unable to make any type of movement with the left analog stick. This also creates a problem with the right analog stick when holding down both of them. It removes the ability to look around while granting you the zoom in and out function with up and down. I'm unsure why this effects the analog sticks this way, as that one step or over the shoulder look, lost in the process, would mean the difference between hit or miss. I suppose it was thought of to give the option to be able to key bind things to the function + left/right analog sticks. However, I personally wouldn't want to lose any type of moment, while holding down the function keys and using the right and left analog stick. It's possible I'm the only person that wouldn't want to bind anything other than character movement and camera movement to the left and right analog sticks, but from spending the hours testing this and keybinding, I've found there are more then enough buttons to keybind things without the use of the analog sticks in the process, other then them functioning solely as camera moment and character movement that is. I do however think that the lose of the vertical camera movement on up and down with both function buttons held down is minuscule and should remain as is, because it is a very nice feature to zoom the camera in and out and a good idea. I do however recommend still giving the ability for horizontal camera movement in the process. So, in Settings, on Game tab, under Gamepad Settings I recommend adding the option to enable analog movement while function keys are held. Option reading: Enable Function Analog Moment. The keyboard is needed to chat anyway , so leaving the least used hotkey functions on there to open up menus, or using the start button to manually access them, would make it entirely possible to get away with this implementation and create a much more immersive game.

Though I am still rather new to the game, and I haven't experienced everything this game has to offer, these are my thoughts on possible improvements to the gamepad. There might be more that present themselves in the future, but the base structure of how it functions at present is rather solid and complements go out to the developers for gamepad support. I do however, think there are some improvements that could work out for the better. It is my opinion that the gamepad isn't really used as much as the mouse and keyboard, thus these little things fly under the radar, so I'm submitting this post. Please feel free to comment, suggest, critique, and just in general join in on the conversation. Do keep in mind however when brainstorming it is best to remain calm and collected, as it's not necessarily they are insulting your opinion, but rather not understanding it. So, be the respectable community I know you can be and calmly discuss your debate. It hurts the creative process to ferociously argue. There is a fine line between argument and debate, and emotion tips the scale. Thank you for you time on this topic and sticking all the way to the end. Be productive and have a great day.

Edited by Kotei
Proof read...
1 person likes this

Posted

If you're going to bump... do so with class and roll down the car windows.

Posted

I use a game pad and the only real issue I find is my buttons above the left and right trigger do nothing in the game but work will all over games.. Would be nice to have those 2 bumpers working .. I use mouse to click things but gamepad for most things

Also if the combos could have a gamepad mode.. Iv gotten it down on my wiz but it was a pain to have to translate key strokes to what that means for the  game pad buttons.. Its an issue with the combo instruction not saying what button by default is on gampad but in fishing instead of saying space it says A since a is space on the game pad.. Again I figured it out but for alts and stuff would be nice if the combos just said A left trigger ect

Posted

It would be incredibly great if gamepad support was improved:
- A fix for the issue that L+RBumper doesnt allow movements (what kotei said above)
- Tutorial translation to gamepad keys (what Kotei said above)
- An option to bind the currently unbindable keys to the gamepad (e.g. F5,F6, Enter)
- An option to set the camera to auto follow (so you dont always have to adjust the camera with the right stick)
- Option to focus the mouse arrow on the buttons in dialog, windows, etc. automatically
- Ability to navigate to the next control in UI windows with the dpad (e.g. like the tab key does in controls in the winows OS)
- Ability to mount emotes to hotkeys or a gamepad optimized emote menu

If all the above points were respected, one could completely play the game without keyboard (except for text chat of course).

Best
Lichu