• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Progression feels abysmal for casual players

39 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have put a considerable amount of time into this game (Accumulated total of >175 days across 8 characters) and I like to do things for myself. I am still considered a casual because I have work, a gf, etc. so I can only grind, grind for items, and progress some nights and on the weekends (I have lvl 59 ninja, 57 zerk, 52 ranger, 51 wiz, and some others in the 20's). Recently, I spent  over 500 million silver (which is a lot to me, I know it's not much to some) getting back to TRI on 3 TET attempts. I had been saving all my memory frags, and shards from this event, spending several nights, and a large part of my weekend gathering, plus a  recent 7 day blessings of kama getting 50+ shards (mostly hards). The 3 prior TET attempts put me at +81fs on my alt. I saved up over 150 million and 56 mem frags (plus 100 artisans) to go for another attempt. Of course I failed, blowing all of the money I was saving over the weeks attempting to get it back. EVERY shard and mem frag I had saved and have got 2 other alts to 38 and 41 fs GOING BACK TO DUO...and then failing the only 3 times I was able to get it to go DUO. I'm now almost broke again after getting grunils to DUO/TRI and selling them for profit which I used to try to get back up to TRI...using that money as well...

My question is: Is BDO going to address this absolutely punishing "progression?"

Cron stones are impossible to save up (Really? 387 million for one TET attempt?), Grinding for money is the most boring thing in this game (plus sailing to pirates and back is a cancerous time waster) and the people that actually want to make the effort to do it yourself are screwed over with a single TET attempt because RNG screws you over so hard just getting back to TRI that I'm about to give up. I don't have the time or interest to grind at pirates and sausans for literally months just to get to the 1.3 billion it costs to buy a TET, nor is that rewarding, or even guaranteed because of all of the people with massive bank accounts putting in pre-orders and sniping on the MP. It's not fun, it doesn't keep me wanting to come back for more and there needs to be a better way to increase your odds when attempting TRI toTET after it has already been there before.

Seriously, after failing up to +86 now on TET dande and the fact that I seriously can't get back up to TRI after blowing millions AGAIN... I'm not sure I'm going to be playing much longer. 2 months of "progress" to get these materials and money feels like I wasted my damn time.
"No room for casuals." - Kakao

Edited by ElementalEcho
Corrected my total play time in days.
5 people like this

Posted

They're going to say, " Gg son, try again and FAIL."

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

is this your first korean MMO?

bdo's enchanting system is so damn forgiving compared to what it couldve/would've been a few years ago. 

instead of going to TET how about if you even failed an enhance past PRI your weapon is gone for good?

anyway, the core of BDO(or most [korean]mmos) is to grind, grind, grind. infinite grinding for better gear until the next best thing comes out. 

the consequences to achieve progression is to artificially extend the life of the game. if the end goals were met so easily, everyone would be like 'what now?" go grind more silver for costumes i guess.

also i see BDO as a long term game, 2 months isn't that long, but i guess it would be for 'casuals'. perhaps lower BDO on your priority list even more since you have real life responsibilities etc and buy your gear instead with the silver you accumulated from grinding. silver in bdo is infinite, prices are controlled, you can just save a ----- ton of silver and hope what you need is going to be listed, that's probably the casual thing to do anyway.

Edited by HuangHo
1 person likes this

Posted

And I understand failing/RNG is a huge part of this game, but at some point it has to feel rewarding for how much time you put into it.

is this your first korean MMO?

bdo's enchanting system is so damn forgiving compared to what it couldve/would've been a few years ago. 

instead of going to TET how about if you even failed an enhance past PRI your weapon is gone for good?

anyway, the core of BDO(or most [korean]mmos) is to grind, grind, grind. infinite grinding for better gear until the next best thing comes out. 

the consequences to achieve progression is to artificially extend the life of the game. if the end goals were met so easily, everyone would be like 'what now?" go grind more silver for costumes i guess.

also i see BDO as a long term game, 2 months isn't that long, but i guess it would be for 'casuals'. perhaps lower BDO on your priority list even more since you have real life responsibilities etc and buy your gear instead with the silver you accumulated from grinding. silver in bdo is infinite, prices are controlled, you can just save a ----- ton of silver and hope what you need is going to be listed, that's probably the casual thing to do anyway.

Yes, this is my first Korean MMO, and if it was as punishing as you say, I wouldn't play it. That doesn't sound fun at all. But this isn't Korea. The accessories are punishing enough..lost a TRI attempt on a tree belt 2 weeks ago, then failed a PRI...finally got lucky with two tree bosses and got a PRI back.

I'm not asking for handouts and I expect failures, but there should be a "memory system" that gives you a slight edge to get back to TRI/TET if your wep/armor has been there before.

Posted

When I first started this game, I quit for this very reason. Progression in this game wasn't "tough", it was downright insanity (that was my thought pattern, anyhow). I played 3 months and quit until 5 days ago.

So what changed?

I have a coworker who plays Lineage II. He has played since the day it released. Much like me, he is pretty casual; at best he can muster an hour or two a day, but that is usually only 3 or 4 days a week. Our careers won't allow much more than that. However, he started L2 at release (early 2000s) and played that play style this whole time... 12+ years. Because of that, he is one of the most powerful characters on the US server. People know who he is, his gear is some of the best in the game and he recently hit level 101. He absolutely loves the game.

Black Desert is, for all intents and purposes, a spiritual successor to that game despite having no ties to it.

My expectations are different now. When I play, I pepe le pew my way up. I don't plan to be to what is currently considered amazing until at least late summer but probably Christmas. By then I'm sure a new xpac will be out and I will truck on to that goal line. But the point is that I plan to play for years, even if very slowly. Eventually the hardcore characters of today will burn out and leave for the next big grind, and I will start to be the guy at the top by default. Even if they come back eventually, I will have caught up.

Im not racing. I will win by seniority, but it's all I can really do with my schedule. I don't really mind that so much.

18 people like this

Posted (edited)

I feels like I wasted my damn time.

Oh, really. You have been trying to get some virtual pixel achievements for 175 days (ingame time?) 

Always funny to see RNG took another victim who is turned so desperate by it, while knowing the chances of enchanting are infinitesimally even with 100 fs, weighing of the rarity of the fs amount/chance increase.

Edited by Flaw
1 person likes this

Posted

Oh, really. You have been trying to get some virtual pixel achievements for 175 days (ingame time?)

No, but I'd like to think that dedication to a game should be rewarding to a certain degree...

1 person likes this

Posted

At least in other games you could just buy the end game Bis stuff. But with BDO's broken economy you can't buy anything now f00king RNG game.

what's the point of making a market system if you can't even set your price?

Posted

Another casual here. Hospital job easily exceeding 12 hours a day 6 days a week

Notting wrong with crone stones if you consider their pros and cons, they're actually decent for armour and weapons. I don't have the time, nor the patience to be failing duos and TRIs again and again, being stuck with pris I ain't about that life. So paying a little extra for a tet attempt is pretty failsafe exchange for not losing AP/DP each time I touch my gear.

BDO literally throws money at me when I'm afk/semi afk. My highest level is 58 so it's pretty easy to say that I don't grind, but life skill for my income. In that teted both my bhegs and muskans. Saving up these two weeks for either DK gear or TET dandi or try getting a TRI kutum.

2 people like this

Posted

Le snip 

Le snip deux

Spock.png

Posted

When I first started this game, I quit for this very reason. Progression in this game wasn't "tough", it was downright insanity (that was my thought pattern, anyhow). I played 3 months and quit until 5 days ago.

So what changed?

I have a coworker who plays Lineage II. He has played since the day it released. Much like me, he is pretty casual; at best he can muster an hour or two a day, but that is usually only 3 or 4 days a week. Our careers won't allow much more than that. However, he started L2 at release (early 2000s) and played that play style this whole time... 12+ years. Because of that, he is one of the most powerful characters on the US server. People know who he is, his gear is some of the best in the game and he recently hit level 101. He absolutely loves the game.

Black Desert is, for all intents and purposes, a spiritual successor to that game despite having no ties to it.

My expectations are different now. When I play, I pepe le pew my way up. I don't plan to be to what is currently considered amazing until at least late summer but probably Christmas. By then I'm sure a new xpac will be out and I will truck on to that goal line. But the point is that I plan to play for years, even if very slowly. Eventually the hardcore characters of today will burn out and leave for the next big grind, and I will start to be the guy at the top by default. Even if they come back eventually, I will have caught up.

Im not racing. I will win by seniority, but it's all I can really do with my schedule. I don't really mind that so much.

this guy. He knows. well said.

Posted

Notting wrong with crone stones if you consider their pros and cons, they're actually decent for armour and weapons. I don't have the time, nor the patience to be failing duos and TRIs again and again, being stuck with pris I ain't about that life. So paying a little extra for a tet attempt is pretty failsafe exchange for not losing AP/DP each time I touch my gear.

Cron stones are RNG as well, since they have like 30% fail rate,... So with bad luck, you get -----ed twice...

Enhancement system is pure cancer since we went from +15... Even then people were complaining about accessories, but at least rest of the gear was kinda guaranteed for everyone who put the work in... What they did? -----ed up rest of the progression as well... :D Bcs artisan memories (and god help us if we ever get valks cry)...

Posted

I dont play for progression. hehe. I just play it like its a life simulator. I visit towns. I feed my workers, I take pics of my waifus. lol

1 person likes this

Posted

Cron stones are RNG as well, since they have like 30% fail rate,... So with bad luck, you get -----ed twice...

Enhancement system is pure cancer since we went from +15... Even then people were complaining about accessories, but at least rest of the gear was kinda guaranteed for everyone who put the work in... What they did? -----ed up rest of the progression as well... :D Bcs artisan memories (and god help us if we ever get valks cry)...

crone fail rate doesn't apply for weapons and armour. Y can fail all you want without degrading. 9th tet attempt soon and not degraded yet so it seems to be true

In fact we're going to get the kr patch soon where failing using crone stone actually adds additional effects to the weapon until you succeed

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

OP you don't know how funny everything you say sound to me, yeah for casuals it might seem hard but because as you said that's your first Korean MMORPG while I play 'only' Korean MMORPGs since all the way back in 2004 I will link something that you must see to understand what happen back then in L2 when we try to enchant a wpn above +3 which was the safe limit, check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6hcZZ0R0sE that dude here try to enchant an S84 wpn, S84 = the absolute best wpn in game before GoD expansion that came out in 2011 & completely ruin the game for good but that's another story, anyway even a +0 S84 wpn was worth billions & billions that one he try to enchant is +7 that means he succeed 4 times already to further enchant it, you can't even imagine how much this increase it's value, & check what happen to that wpn when he fails, yep that's how things was, now tell me how hard & punishing things are in BDO.

Edited by Aeris_TheAncient
1 person likes this

Posted

LOL

You get so much free shit and it's still abysmall?

LOL, if you players from the start where there was no free shit, how would it have been?

1 person likes this

Posted

So what changed?

Respect.

Posted

Surprised no1 said it till now.

GIT GUD!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The rng is a pain in the As* this weekend I was trying to get my off hand to +15, so along with the 67 stones I used, I spent most of Saturday, messing around with my energy, in an effort to get my amity higher enough, so I could buy more of my off hands to repair the damage done by the RNG.  It's pointless, it would improve the game no end if they got rid of it.  By all means increase the level of stones needed to increase the item, so for instance +1 needs 10, +2 needs 20 etc, a bit like forcing.  But please when a player has spent millions in silver, days of grinding the game shouldn't punish you.

I wouldn't even mind them bringing in a skill level requirement for progressing gear, just get rid of the RNG.

Edited by Iscoed
1 person likes this

Posted

GIT GUD!

Traditions :D

1 person likes this

Posted

I have put a considerable amount of time into this game (Accumulated total of >175 days across 8 characters) and I like to do things for myself. I am still considered a casual because I have work, a gf, etc. so I can only grind, grind for items, and progress some nights and on the weekends (I have lvl 59 ninja, 57 zerk, 52 ranger, 51 wiz, and some others in the 20's). Recently, I spent  over 500 million silver (which is a lot to me, I know it's not much to some) getting back to TRI on 3 TET attempts. I had been saving all my memory frags, and shards from this event, spending several nights, and a large part of my weekend gathering, plus a  recent 7 day blessings of kama getting 50+ shards (mostly hards). The 3 prior TET attempts put me at +81fs on my alt. I saved up over 150 million and 56 mem frags (plus 100 artisans) to go for another attempt. Of course I failed, blowing all of the money I was saving over the weeks attempting to get it back. EVERY shard and mem frag I had saved and have got 2 other alts to 38 and 41 fs GOING BACK TO DUO...and then failing the only 3 times I was able to get it to go DUO. I'm now almost broke again after getting grunils to DUO/TRI and selling them for profit which I used to try to get back up to TRI...using that money as well...

My question is: Is BDO going to address this absolutely punishing "progression?"

Cron stones are impossible to save up (Really? 387 million for one TET attempt?), Grinding for money is the most boring thing in this game (plus sailing to pirates and back is a cancerous time waster) and the people that actually want to make the effort to do it yourself are screwed over with a single TET attempt because RNG screws you over so hard just getting back to TRI that I'm about to give up. I don't have the time or interest to grind at pirates and sausans for literally months just to get to the 1.3 billion it costs to buy a TET, nor is that rewarding, or even guaranteed because of all of the people with massive bank accounts putting in pre-orders and sniping on the MP. It's not fun, it doesn't keep me wanting to come back for more and there needs to be a better way to increase your odds when attempting TRI toTET after it has already been there before.

Seriously, after failing up to +86 now on TET dande and the fact that I seriously can't get back up to TRI after blowing millions AGAIN... I'm not sure I'm going to be playing much longer. 2 months of "progress" to get these materials and money feels like I wasted my damn time.
"No room for casuals." - Kakao

As many said before this, the first thing is to have realistic expectations.  I'm in a similar situation to you as far as play time.  I'm full TRI with almost full TRI accessories going for TET attempts / buying TET gear straight up.  My advice would be the following:

1) Set realistic expectations.  Once you're over 200 AP & 260DP, losing to another player is more of a skill than a gear issue.  You don't need 240+ AP to fight everyone, so don't give yourself a goal that's really hard to achieve on your playtime, TRIs will last you a while, you can slowly work towards TET.  Failing a few times shouldn't be the end, and you did things correctly from the looks of things, you got back up to your previous enchants so you didn't lose anything making those attempts, and now you have a higher chance to succeed next time.

2) In your post you didn't once mention anything to do with afk money when you talked about how grinding was boring and tedious for you... Unless you're playing 16 hours a day (and even if you are), you can easily have 1/3 - 3/4 of all your money coming from afk crafting / activities.  Until Kamasylve comes out in NA, life skills + farming world / field bosses is the best money in game.  Make sure your afk empire is set up and you'll get plenty of attempts at upgrades to TET.  BDO is very very forgiving allowing you to progress and make a lot of money at a high rate while not even playing the game.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

>175 days

8 characters

I have lvl 59 ninja, 57 zerk

3 TET attempts

Yea CASUAL hahahah, some of you guys have really lost all connection to reality.

TET is something that a casual player doesn't even think about. Casual dream about getting TRI some day. TET takes a shit lot of time and effort. Calling it "Punishing" when you don't get -----ing TET in shortest time? Crazy.

Edited by Spartakatz
2 people like this

Posted

lol.  I've like 10 billion on fire without any gear upgrades the last 3 months.  nice stack.  

Posted

lol.  I've like 10 billion on fire without any gear upgrades the last 3 months.  nice stack.  

That is what you call endgame progression ... When the cheapest thing to enchant costs 1bil :D  Referring to TRI -> TET Crescents , being cheapes of accessories to enchant :D  Not even talking about going for PEN wep or whatever ...

Posted

I have put a considerable amount of time into this game (Accumulated total of >175 days across 8 characters) and I like to do things for myself. I am still considered a casual because I have work, a gf, etc.

You consider yourself a casual?

Game released 359 days ago or 8616 hours.  You have 175 days Invested or 4200 HOURS! 

4200 hours play time in a year equals 11.5 hours per day. you think this is casual?? xD