• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Changes to the Black Spirit Quest Line

50 posts in this topic

Posted

I understand that most people don't care about the quests and the lore in the game.  Most click through the quests as quickly as possible and that's good, if you don't care about the lore, that's fine...but I actually enjoy it and one of the things I liked the most about BDO was how much depth of character I felt there was to the NPCs.

I'm not sure why the Black Spirit quest line was overhauled but now it seems that all the character has been taking from it and I'm worried that it's too late now for me to see some of the cut scenes and piece together more of the story.  Was it really that much of a problem that the quest lines had to be gutted?

7 people like this

Posted

There were cut scenes? O.o

Posted

yep i liked the story and cutscenes... it made me want to do quests..

now all the new players will have no idea wtf this black little creeper ball thing is and why its following you around... 

4 people like this

Posted

One other issue with the rework of the Black Spirit quests...It used to be that you killed the boss (such as Red Nose) and you got several items including an inventory expansion.  Now you kill the boss and get your weapon upgrade or whatever and then the Black Spirit gives you a new quest for killing the boss you just killed, you accept it and you are promised an inventory expansion.  Then you have to go back in to the Black Spirit quests and complete the one you just accepted for the Inventory expansion....

Why is this a good idea?

4 people like this

Posted

Not only cut scenes... Even quests attached to them... Quest line got stripped pretty hard...

At first i was glad they gave somehow broader tutorial for newbies, but this is a bit too high cost for sth so abyssmal...

Posted

They added a lot of quests into the "main storyline" later down the line but you're right that they gutted a lot of the story. 

Posted

It's worse than this, actually.  They removed a large number of quests from 1-50 towns and combat zones, many of which weren't even involved with the Black Spirit.  They did this so haphazardly that several knowledge categories in Serendia and Calpheon can no longer be completed by new players.

The storyline, while disjointed before, now makes absolutely no sense.  Jordine and Belmorn are still ever-present throughout the early areas and you still go through the Monarch of Darkness story up until Keplan, where you're told that you've gathered what you need and now is the time to take him out.  Except you don't.  It just ends there and is never mentioned again.  Instead of fighting Jordine/Belmorn, you just drop the whole thing and later you fight some random Catfishman because why not.  

I get that they wanted to streamline things for new players, but this was a sloppy way to do it.  I created a thread on the bug forum in the hopes that they'll fix the unobtainable knowledge entries at least, but no word yet.

13 people like this

Posted

It's worse than this, actually.  They removed a large number of quests from 1-50 towns and combat zones, many of which weren't even involved with the Black Spirit.  They did this so haphazardly that several knowledge categories in Serendia and Calpheon can no longer be completed by new players.

The storyline, while disjointed before, now makes absolutely no sense.  Jordine and Belmorn are still ever-present throughout the early areas and you still go through the Monarch of Darkness story up until Keplan, where you're told that you've gathered what you need and now is the time to take him out.  Except you don't.  It just ends there and is never mentioned again.  Instead of fighting Jordine/Belmorn, you just drop the whole thing and later you fight some random Catfishman because why not.  

I get that they wanted to streamline things for new players, but this was a sloppy way to do it.  I created a thread on the bug forum in the hopes that they'll fix the unobtainable knowledge entries at least, but no word yet.

I didn't know this was an additional problem... Which quests have been removed and have you had any feedback on this?

Posted

I've been trying to put a list together in this post of the lost knowledge entries and the quests associated with them, along with some additional info.  The total number of quests that got taken out is much larger than this.  I first noticed because I was questing in Keplan at the time, and most of the available quests in the area disappeared when the patch hit.  I thought it was a bug at first and started putting a full list together, but there were too many and I started to figure that most of them were deliberately removed rather than being bugged.  I gave up and limited the list to knowledge quests for now, after seeing scattered posts by people asking why they couldn't get this entry or that.

Basically any quest that now lists "Level > 0" as its requirement on bddatabase.net is one that was removed from the game, if you ever want to check on a specific quest.

I sent in a couple of tickets on these issues but I haven't received a response yet.

1 person likes this

Posted

There's a story?

Posted (edited)

There's a story?

I realize a lot of people don't care about the story or don't feel there was one... but if you did the quests and read the text there was a richness to the NPCs that is lacking in most MMOs.  Jordine is a great example.  Here's an ambitious young man who wants to do what's right for his people but he lets his hatred consume him to the point that he's corrupted and causes untold suffering to not only the people of Calpheon, who he targets, but tangentially to his own people.

There are all kinds of little stories scattered throughout, not just in the quest text but in the random character dialogue.  It's part of what made this MMO special in my estimation and to see it gutted makes me sad.

This kind of stuff doesn't matter to a lot of the players and if they don't care about a quest they can easily click through the dialogue but for those of us who do. removing it takes away a reason to recommend this game to like minded friends. 

Edited by Shaynae
3 people like this

Posted

I realize a lot of people don't care about the story or don't feel there was one... but if you did the quests and read the text there was a richness to the NPCs that is lacking in most MMOs.  Jordine is a great example.  Here's an ambitious young man who wants to do what's right for his people but he lets his hatred consume him to the point that he's corrupted and causes untold suffering to not only the people of Calpheon, who he targets, but tangentially to his own people.

There are all kinds of little stories scattered throughout, not just in the quest text but in the random character dialogue.  It's part of what made this MMO special in my estimation and to see it gutted makes me sad.

This kind of stuff doesn't matter to a lot of the players and if they don't care about a quest they can easily click through the dialogue but for those of us who do. removing it takes away a reason to recommend this game to like minded friends. 

Hey, I was only kidding.

I did try to know what was going on with the first character, but at a certain point it was quite messy and I lost track of what was what. There was this good guy that then was a bad guy. I am a bad guy (or influenced by one) that become the good guy by killing the bad guy. Then there's these three wise men that send me places where they are too. If I double back, they double back to to tell me the same stuff again....etc...

But note that I'm used to swtor that's it's the exact opposite as my mindset is "ok, kill 100 droids so my movie can continue? Be right back. Done, enter the cinematic!"

Posted

Hey, I was only kidding.
I did try to know what was going on with the first character, but at a certain point it was quite messy and I lost track of what was what. There was this good guy that then was a bad guy. I am a bad guy (or influenced by one) that become the good guy by killing the bad guy. Then there's these three wise men that send me places where they are too. If I double back, they double back to to tell me the same stuff again....etc...

But note that I'm used to swtor that's it's the exact opposite as my mindset is "ok, kill 100 droids so my movie can continue? Be right back. Done, enter the cinematic!"

Oh I wasn't trying to single you out or anything... I know not everyone likes the quest stuff and I think people should play the way they enjoy.  Even if it's killing 100 droids.. :)

Posted

Oh I wasn't trying to single you out or anything... I know not everyone likes the quest stuff and I think people should play the way they enjoy.  Even if it's killing 100 droids.. :)

I think I explained myself poorly. Cut me some slack as I'm on the night shift and english is not my native language.
I like quest stuff and I like story - a lot. What I said about SWTOR is that it's almost a movie that gets interrupted by the silly tasks of having to go here or there and kill this or that. 

Posted

The starting zones feel weird now and many things have changed, I still remember that excitement I had when first started the game 1 year ago. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I understand that most people don't care about the quests and the lore in the game.  Most click through the quests as quickly as possible and that's good, if you don't care about the lore, that's fine...but I actually enjoy it and one of the things I liked the most about BDO was how much depth of character I felt there was to the NPCs.

I'm not sure why the Black Spirit quest line was overhauled but now it seems that all the character has been taking from it and I'm worried that it's too late now for me to see some of the cut scenes and piece together more of the story.  Was it really that much of a problem that the quest lines had to be gutted?

All cutscenes you can watch only once. At alts you should have shorter story line (some quests are skipped) - It's intended. You can't back them atm.

Posted

Maybe but they also got lazy, Mariah is a mess were I get that Elezra was responsible for the seven days of darkness for taking the Book of Cartian buts its kinda all over the place and honestly, a lot of quest triggers are just wrong ... for example, you can get a quest to get a Donkey on Western Camp but its set in such a way its more likely you get it from Velia because several Western Camp quests are behind a trigger you are unlikely to trigger, I know what some are and going all over the place just to get then to show up its just ... ugh.

Honestly, after Velia things are pretty straightforward until Calpheon that only have a few oddly placed quests (to me whoever decided that Trolls are easier that Petrified have no idea about the game) buts its easy to follow, there are a few "odd" decisions but not as bad as the West Camp/Velia triggers and like all "good" developers, instead of fixing then they start to delete things ... at random apparently.

Posted

Well the problem is that you can hit like lvl 55 in a day now.  So the thing is, those quests back then were meant for a much, much, much slower pace of leveling.

That being said from what I was able to piece together from the story and lore, probably wrong mind you, they found a black spirit vessel in Goma Naru, popped it open and released the spirit, thing possessed you and its bound to you.  It tasks you to go around and open more vessels to restore itself.  But the thing is not a good guy, not a good guy at all.  

Actually the black power possessed a bunch of peeps, including Jordine etc.  anyway you gather up all of its power and it then reaches its full corrupt form in the Mediah quest lines.  You kill and defeat it and it begs you not to destroy it completely, so you dont, it reverts back to its infant state, you go and do Valencia stuff and find more ancient vessels there and learn that the black spirit is some sort of key of the ancients or something...  and btw the ancients are some old alchemist dudes that through blackstone/black spirit power or whatever unlocked immortality...  I think...  something along those lines.  And thats basically where we are in the story.  

I'm just piecing together what I remember from the story, I could be wrong about the black spirit being a key, but I feel like I remember reading that somewhere...  key to what?  Who knows *shrug*

Posted

Rip story and lore of black desert.
For no reasons at all.

Posted

I thought something was off about leveling my DK, the story is gone, wtf? 

Posted (edited)

agree too, i would have like to be able to watch the cutscene again... especialy since you already was able to skip them to beginning with, i dont get why totaly "remove" them once you saw them once... :/

Black Spirit gives you a new quest for killing the boss you just killed, you accept it and you are promised an inventory expansion.  Then you have to go back in to the Black Spirit quests and complete the one you just accepted for the Inventory expansion....

Why is this a good idea?

^this, this is indeed annoying as hell, since you have to Zzzzz several time watching the black spirit spawn "cutscene"

All cutscenes you can watch only once. At alts you should have shorter story line (some quests are skipped) - It's intended. You can't back them atm.

They should give us the option to be able to watch them again, there is no actual valid reason to FORCE player to only be able to watch them once.

Or at least, why not a "story summary" of what you already did with

1- text

2- custscene.

After all, they force you to watch the long black spirit "spawn" cutscene EVERY f#ing time you call it, they force you to watch the boringness Boss spawn cutscene XXXXXXXXX time.

Edited by woots
1 person likes this

Posted

where can i find to read the story ?

For example i'm one of those who initially start following the quest storyline...

But at the end the Kill-Kill-Kill experience make me forget all those aspects..

for example:

1) who is the black spirit?

2) which is the story of those realms (i read that they were in war)

3) valencia story

4) why i pay workers only with beer?

Posted

This man is asking the real questions here... But let me answer you with another one mr. Simpson... Why wouldnt you?

Posted

Black Grinding Online

Posted

where can i find to read the story ?

For example i'm one of those who initially start following the quest storyline...

But at the end the Kill-Kill-Kill experience make me forget all those aspects..

for example:

1) who is the black spirit?

2) which is the story of those realms (i read that they were in war)

3) valencia story

http://blackdesertroleplayers.com/lore

This is more like background information tho.

And there is a 4h youtube video:

2 people like this