• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

A few mid-level fishing questions....

14 posts in this topic

Posted

So, I just hit professional level 1, and am just curious where to go from here.     I have been using steel rod, and thought I would move on to golden rod, but then I just noticed it had an artisan 1 requirement (I guess I thought it was pro1).     Are the upgradeable artisan ones worth the money, and if so which one?

I also just got a ship, and have mainly just done some exploring of the outer islands, and have done some fishing out there.     I don't quite understand the hot spots and how exactly to find them.     I see the gulls going crazy occasionally, but by the time I get there, I only get 1 or 2 casts before they disappear.    Are there specific spots or islands I should be going to?

And finally, up to this point I've just been wearing the basic apprentice fishing outfit.    I know its time to upgrade, but I'm not sure which one to go for.     Is the npc professional outfit the way to go (for 1.5mil) or should I go for the silver upgradeable outfit?

I'm just basically looking for the best direction to move on from pro to guru at this point.     While I have the means and levels to try out new areas, I just find myself afking in Velia racking in a few million every few hours and slowly skiling up.

Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Posted

If a hotspot disappears after the first cast, likely it's a Coalcanth hotspot, and there's only one fish to catch there. But it's a Coalcanth that is worth 200k silver. Every hotspot I hit, I always spend 10 energy on the first cast to increase the chance of catching multiple fish just in case it's a Coalcanth hotspot. 

If it's any other type of fish hotspot, then you can typically get 12-25 fish. Hotspots last until all the fish are caught, so if you only get 2 out of it, then likely somebody else was fishing it and ran out of inventory space and thus left a few behind (or there may be a limited duration/timer for the hotspot, but I've never verified that myself).

As for the rest of your questions, I think they're all well explained in this guide... http://www.blackdesertfoundry.com/2015/05/12/fishing-guide/

Posted

Do you AFK fish? If yes get a Balenos Rod and upgrade it, can be quite expensive to do but will pay for itself over time.

Seagull hotspots in the ocean last for 1/2 an hour. If you are lucky and find one that's just spawned you can get a whole 1/2 hour from it. Triple Float rods are best to use when hotpot fishing, there's a repeat quest "Fish for Villagers" given by an NPC in Velia that rewards 3 triple float rods (you can do this quest every 3 days)

Posted

For afk fishing, the Balenos rod is your best friend. As you upgrade it increases durability as well.

For hot spot fishing, the Triple-float rod. I don't know what the level requirement is for that. Do the "Fish for Villagers" as often as you can if you want a steady supply of triple-float rods.

I use the +2 silver fishing clothes, which give fishing level +2 and my guild has +3 fishing so I never have to worry about cast time buffs anymore.

Posted

So you can tell if it's a Coale hotspot or not. Coale have a bluish/ grayish color and look exactly the same as the Grunt model, but are a different color.

Coale hot spots tend to appear by all the major bays, with very few appearing randomly out in the ocean.There are about 8 or so models used for the fish jumping out of the water at the hotspots, so once you get used to them and the sea region you are in, you can tell the hotspots very easily. Puffer fish have their own unique model so you can tell that hotspot from a distance.

You can even zoom in from a distance to see what type of fish spawned.

Check any threads by Moonraker, MaoMaoPrince, or AtBirthComplication, they always have great info.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

So, it sounds like I should pick up multiple rods for whatever I'm doing.   Balenos for afk, and then the triple float. 

Where exactly do harpoons fit in?    Thats what I got for my pro1 achievement.   (Nevermind, your link answered this question for me).

Also, if I hit +5 fishing, does paste bait not matter anymore?

Thanks for the help and answers.

Edited by Walkerlang

Posted

So you can tell if it's a Coale hotspot or not. Coale have a bluish/ grayish color and look exactly the same as the Grunt model, but are a different color.

Coale hot spots tend to appear by all the major bays, with very few appearing randomly out in the ocean.There are about 8 or so models used for the fish jumping out of the water at the hotspots, so once you get used to them and the sea region you are in, you can tell the hotspots very easily. Puffer fish have their own unique model so you can tell that hotspot from a distance.

You can even zoom in from a distance to see what type of fish spawned.

Check any threads by Moonraker, MaoMaoPrince, or AtBirthComplication, they always have great info.

Coelecanths are also slightly larger than grunts, but it takes a lot of practice to tell the difference

Posted

Also, if I hit +5 fishing, does paste bait not matter anymore?

Correct.  And there is stuff better than paste bait if you are still not +5.  Wine is good for example, check them out on the  MP. Should be a +1 and a plus 2 wine available. been a while since i have used them though.

Posted

Yeah, I used Fruit Wine for the longest time. Helps with leveling health too. 

But once you reach +5 fishing, that's it. (I think it can be a pet boost as well).

1 person likes this

Posted

One final question, as I've been doing the "Fish for Villagers" quest and am tracking down Black porgy near Ilya (sp) island.     As far as tracking down hotspots, do you just go in the area, and then boat around til you see one, or are you just fishing normal and then waiting for one to pop up in your sight?

Posted (edited)

One final question, as I've been doing the "Fish for Villagers" quest and am tracking down Black porgy near Ilya (sp) island.     As far as tracking down hotspots, do you just go in the area, and then boat around til you see one, or are you just fishing normal and then waiting for one to pop up in your sight?

The Black Porgy always gives me a headache with that quest. I find Porgy all the time around Baremi Isle when I'm not on the quest, but through sure bad luck they never seem to pop when I'm actively trying to complete it. The Tuna, Grunt, and Spotted Bass are always easy. Anyhoo... you can find the spots where Black Porgy hotspots pop at http://www.somethinglovely.net/bdo/ zoom in a bit, tick the Fishing Hotspots checkbox, and look for the dark blue fish icons (hovering the cursor over the fish icons tells you what kind of fish those hotspots relate to).

Edited by DenverRalphy

Posted

buy a balenos rod force enhance to +10 (360 wep stones I believe) now you can just afk fish with your penguin or active w/e for way more exp. I went from pro8 to master 5 in about 6-8 weeks of afk fishing.

Posted

If you desperately need that Black Porgy you can try switching channels but that has a timer. For hotspot fishing my own strategy is to cruise through a few areas that have regular spawns. If nothing shows up, fish the open ocean and wait. Cruising around empty oceans is a time-waster.

For active fishing use steel rods or triple-floats. Set up a production line for the steel rods, you'll be using a lot of them. Avoid the Calpheon and Mediah rods.

Posted

Well, I think I get it now...

I went to an open area and fished a bit til I saw some flying fish and gulls and then chased it down..... I then got 10 straight black porgy..lol.    Too bad I can't save them for the next quest.

Thanks for everyone's help, and good luck on the high seas.