• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Pets? Which would be best for me?

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I was reading on the pet's special skills. Before I ask which is better for me, I was wondering how important their unique skills were anyways. It seems the radius is pretty small to begin with. I want to know how important the special skill is to the use of the pet before I go feeling torn between pet types.

I basically narrowed it down to Hawk, Dog, or Cat. While gathering has been cool so far, I haven't gotten to a point in the game where its really been beneficial. I would like to know how much gathering comes in later in the game- or is that just user preference? Also, with the Dog, (i love dogs) their skill is alerting you to flagged players. This is just when you have PvP mode on, yes? So, would that make the skill obsolete to me if I didn't use PvP often? And finally, Hawks alerting you to elite mobs is nice (mostly so i don't run into them on accident or until I'm ready) but I hear they have a slower loot time than the others and that's kind of important to me. If it helps at all to the decision, I play a Sorceress and I'm pretty low level, so I don't yet know what is most important once I cap. 

Thank you! 

Posted (edited)

Only difference in gathering speed might be at Tier 1 but the gathering speed should actually be like this: Tier 1 lvl 10: 4 sec, Tier 2 lvl 10: 4 sec, Tier 3 lvl 10: 3 sec, Tier 4 lvl 10: 2,5 sec.

I personally haven't had a cat yet and from the few topics i read about them people didn't enjoy their abilty but i've read those last year so maybe it's better now? I always know what i want to gather and where to find it and else i simply use following site which is really useful: http://www.somethinglovely.net/bdo/

A cat will show you resources according to the tool you're holding, so if you have a hoe it will show you everything you can gather using that tool but you can't search for specific resources only.

A Hawk is useful cause the distance my hawk shows Elites seems far enough and you also see a blue blinking ring on your minimap even if you don't see the Elite Mob icon itself so you know that your pet located something.

A Dog works the same as a Hawk with the difference that it shows you every player that is flagged or has minus karma. You yourself don't have to be flagged for the skill to work. One can debate whether it's useful or not but i got a dog simply because i like it and believe that the skill is/should be more useful than that of a Cat.

Red

Edited by RedThunder

Posted

Awesome. That's quite helpful. :D Thanks for the info~

Posted (edited)

I usually only enable my cat's special skill when I'm gathering for Rough Stone (which I happen to need to do a lot). Unlike bushes/shrubs/wild herb/etc.. which you can spot visually with little to no problem, it's different when gathering nodes that look like rocks, since all the other rocks in the area look the same and you can't visually tell which are gather nodes and which aren't, so that cat really comes in handy. Helps for digging sand too.

Edited by DenverRalphy

Posted

I usually only enable my cat's special skill when I'm gathering for Rough Stone (which I happen to need to do a lot). Unlike bushes/shrubs/wild herb/etc.. which you can spot visually with little to no problem, it's different when gathering nodes that look like rocks, since all the other rocks in the area look the same and you can't visually tell which are gather nodes and which aren't, so that cat really comes in handy. Helps for digging sand too.

There's actually a really good spot in Valencia where you can farm alot of rough stone in a really short amount of time cause you barely have to move around and you're able to farm so much. Following is a video which shows you how to get there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEVEXWo4Vpg

Once you know where it is it's actually pretty easy to get there, it'll take you only 2-3min from Sand Grain Bazaar. It's the Node called "Pilgrim's Haven" a bit to the north east of Sand Grain Bazaar.

Red

Posted

I was reading on the pet's special skills. Before I ask which is better for me, I was wondering how important their unique skills were anyways. It seems the radius is pretty small to begin with. I want to know how important the special skill is to the use of the pet before I go feeling torn between pet types.

I basically narrowed it down to Hawk, Dog, or Cat. While gathering has been cool so far, I haven't gotten to a point in the game where its really been beneficial. I would like to know how much gathering comes in later in the game- or is that just user preference? Also, with the Dog, (i love dogs) their skill is alerting you to flagged players. This is just when you have PvP mode on, yes? So, would that make the skill obsolete to me if I didn't use PvP often? And finally, Hawks alerting you to elite mobs is nice (mostly so i don't run into them on accident or until I'm ready) but I hear they have a slower loot time than the others and that's kind of important to me. If it helps at all to the decision, I play a Sorceress and I'm pretty low level, so I don't yet know what is most important once I cap. 

Thank you! 

Hawk if you grind (this is a very grindy game, so I would consider this an all purpose pet)

Dog if you fear getting ganked. I consider this to be the worst pet, as you can't get ganked pre 50, and by then the person is either going to kill you or they wont. So the effect is pretty useless.

Cat would be good if you enjoy gathering/lifeskills. I would consider this over hawk if you are the type of person who likes to craft a lot in MMOs. (and I mean a lot, as in half your playtime is either in town crafting, or gathering mats). Even then, there are workers and a marketplace for getting mats, sooo...

For those I would say first pet should be hawk, no matter what. Second can be cat if you like gathering. If you mostly just want to grind, go 3 (4 now?) hawks. If you will be an avid gatherer, you could do one hawk and then all cats. I can't say exactly how useful the cat is, as I rarely gather. I like killing stuff in games, so I'm the wrong person to ask on that aspect.

Another thing to consider is the desert fox, which is useful at 56+. Not required at all, but it's worth considering if you plant to grind endgame content as your main way to produce silver. In this case, one fox and the rest hawks.

Lastly, there was a penguin from events, which was good for auto fishing. Auto fishing over night is very lucrative in this game. If another penguin-like pet ever comes out, this is worth considering as well.

If you have 4 tier 1 pets out, you shouldn't have any issues with loot. They do a good job on their own. Anything less and you will need to loot occasionally. Pets are probably the best pearl investment in this game, followed by character slots, weight, and inventory (in that order, imo).