• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Character Names should not be Unique

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I recently purchased and started playing Black Desert, and most of the experience has been decent, but the very first task I was given was extremely difficult.

Names.

It wasn't particularly difficult for any reason except the game's limitations. You can't use spaces. Both family names and character names must be unique. Who designed this? Surely a modern MMO in 2017 should be able to have spaces in character names -- they are MUCH less ugly than underscores. The end result is I picked family and character names I'm not completely happy with. My names are all taken or require an ugly underscore to pass. Further, why do character names need to be unique if family names exist? Why do family names need to be unique if character names are unique?

At the very least, could we allow spaces in character and family names?

I would gladly pay for a name change for both of them to change the underscores to spaces.

I'd like to also suggest that we make character names non-unique, but it seems like the game is not designed around using your family name for communication and would require a bigger re-haul than the devs would consider worthwhile.

I mostly still can't understand how a game that throws words like "Revolutionary" and "Next Gen" around fails on a such a basic thing like spaces instead of underscores. Names are a very important part of the MMORPG experience, and BDO definitely feels like it half-assed it.

Edited by Kari Arisu
1 person likes this

Posted

are you stupid? since when does someone name has a space? if all your chars have the same name how would they track your char down if you need help with something like being stuck? use your brain sometime and dont waste other time with pointless thread.

2 people like this

Posted

are you stupid? since when does someone name has a space? if all your chars have the same name how would they track your char down if you need help with something like being stuck? use your brain sometime and dont waste other time with pointless thread.

Leaving aside your ad-hominem attack there, many names have spaces. Here in the Netherlands alone many family names start with "van" and then a space, and then the rest. There are even three part last names. I personally chose a family name that is supposed to be with a space, but I refuse to use underscores for aesthetic reasons. In real life, first names may end for example with "Jr." or "II" or are combined first and middle names; "Mary Kate," or "Anna Sophia" or "Jon Bob" among others. With fantasy names there are even much broader usages of a space. As for being stuck or tracking characters; if the system required only family name to be unique, and identified people by family name at least in guild chat, then no problem. There could be thousands of John and Mary's, but if they all had unique family name/first name combination, no problem.

Personally I was surprised to see the limitations on naming in this game and I hope such changes are possible.

Posted

You can use capital letters in your name if you dislike using underscores, like MaryKate or VanHelsing etc but yes, would be cool if the character name didn't need to be unique, then again it could get confusing in a crowd of people talking, if several have the same name, unless the family name is also displayed in chat.

Posted (edited)

I always thought it was the oddest thing that both first name and last name had to be unique. Family name being unique should be enough. Then in chat it could be used in conjunction with the family name, or just the family name.

As for using spaces.. well it goes saying that I wish this was possible.

The game is very beautiful and complex, but the naming part of the game is not its strongest point.

Edited by Lady Minuit

Posted

Every game I've ever played in my 10+ years of online gaming has made it so names are required to be unique. 

Not that I'm calling you stupid personally, but this complaint is...stupid. 

Posted (edited)

Having underscores, numbers, or non-first capital letters for that matter, also underscores the naming scheme. "Bob John" is a name; "Bob John David" is a name. "Bob_john" is NOT a name; "Bobjohn_6" is NOT a name; "BobJohn" is NOT a name.

I always thought it was the oddest thing that both first name and last name had to be unique. Family name being unique should be enough. Then in chat it could be used in conjunction with the family name, or just the family name.

As for using spaces.. well it goes saying that I wish this was possible.

The game is very beautiful and complex, but the naming part of the game is not its strongest point.

Yeah, everyone I know expected only either a unique last name (where Bob John would mean John gets taken for the last name and Bob could be used again for first name) or a unique name (where Bob John would mean no one can be named Bob John, but someone could be named Bob David, David John, John Bob, etc.)

I mostly still can't understand how a game that throws words like "Revolutionary" and "Next Gen" around fails on a such a basic thing like spaces instead of underscores. Names are a very important part of the MMORPG experience, and BDO definitely feels like it half-assed it.

A lot of stuff makes this game anything but revolutionary or nex-gen, though this is certainly one of the issues that makes it so. (Gender-locked class system being the most obvious, the lack of opacity in chat backgrounds being another - which I still cannot believe they haven't fixed for shit -, etc.)

Edited by Vygun

Posted

Every game I've ever played in my 10+ years of online gaming has made it so names are required to be unique. 

Not that I'm calling you stupid personally, but this complaint is...stupid. 

It's not a stupid complaint just because you played rubbish games.

Blizzard gives us battletags that you can name whatever you want. And to prevent confusion they assign an invisible number such as Bob#1245. I have yet to see anyone who shares the same name in the same channel in all this time. So it's a great system. The unique account ID lets you use any name you want for their newer games like in Diablo 3, sadly WoW is stuck with the old "must be a unique name" thing cause it was made before battletags existed.

In startrek online you make an account name as well. Which has to be unique. But any character you make in the game can have whatever name you want. In chat you show up as Bob@Accountname. Whisper commands are directed towards the @name. And as a bonus you can even change your characters name at zero cost whenever you want, in addition to their appearance... something this game should let us do.

Posted

It's not a stupid complaint just because you played rubbish games.

Blizzard gives us battletags that you can name whatever you want. And to prevent confusion they assign an invisible number such as Bob#1245. I have yet to see anyone who shares the same name in the same channel in all this time. So it's a great system. The unique account ID lets you use any name you want for their newer games like in Diablo 3, sadly WoW is stuck with the old "must be a unique name" thing cause it was made before battletags existed.

In startrek online you make an account name as well. Which has to be unique. But any character you make in the game can have whatever name you want. In chat you show up as Bob@Accountname. Whisper commands are directed towards the @name. And as a bonus you can even change your characters name at zero cost whenever you want, in addition to their appearance... something this game should let us do.

Using "Blizzard" and "WoW" isn't helping your argument.

Unique names are going to remain in BDO as they will in most playable worthy MMO.

Star Trek online has a server unique naming system as well. The @ gives you the ability to chat across different severs in those games. BDO is one server FYI.